• Topics:Places / Countries
  • Featured on the home page on Jul 19th 2010
  • Post Of The Day on Oct 13th 2010

YoureARobotOohscarydinosfreddoSquiggepuffmexicanpeanuttashuhhxthearmoredpotato_14ravensruleRiakaitoastymuffinRACCOONninja86BEARTATOTheCrispPotatoChromanasomthinoriginalboored2tearsloveyourlovewithloveDestructiveMuffinsassyculpepperyesthatstrueSergeantPenguinNenmaKaenbyouIttzelRawwrtaraImNeverGrowingUpNoPostOnSundaysCharleyCriscolittletankRhahriiDeViino111iSporkHoneybadgerI_Predict_A_RiotHighYellaIfedmycheesemousegroovy_timeJamiLovesYoukw94karlipawlakSaigotdeethinksrealdizzystoofie23rowanneOriginality_is_Deadfawn4evrsupercrazedhpfanimdudeheadbehindthoseliesMalmoArnoldVanDerWalt

CoralineJonesjessiejpgBear_ShebaNelsonrebafanShockerIamsoriteThatAwkwardKidwookalePot_headBluecookiechyeahrightscrubsfannomnomnom_dinosaurGrammarNinjasamirasotosweetland9TigerLilyjilliebeankaiteybien116TuckeramizzlexMusicislifexfangirl12Toraye8UNFAZ3Dvivaciouspancakessophomoreee2010maggiemoo62pinkparadise898kymmmLalaBotreaper4012_Mike_bonbon1213pigfarts_pigfartsTicTacAddictfavre99BlacklightsAndQueensABitDisconsolateJeffestLibbyPaigeAaabbccddeekeowen2012who_r_uMicrowave69skateman2012heyitskennyyyyRichardcharlie932

AnthonyLexAyAmRightavadakedavraJokersara24genedanilolDeathbubbleJT874JennifurrhhGabrielBrownJamiLovesYouDistinctionsGeorgiexxOMGitsJasminwillisjawLukecourt_manzanarowanneBlueberrySlurpeetea_GrammarFuhrerImpolitekristinfrogredblueyellowDayEyKRhinocrow
There is no English accent, that's just the sound that is made when words are pronounced properly, amirite?

Language is something that is constantly evolving...get off your high horse. Accents are beautiful.

LyssaBlau LyssaBlau

Right! Americans are so wrong.

Anonymous

In response to “Right! Americans are so wrong.

The only reason this got negative is because there are more americans on this site. You americans just think your the best

DougalHanson DougalHanson

In response to “The only reason this got negative is because...

I think its funny how people talk about how a race, culture, ect. talks trash about a race, culture, ect. and then by doing that are making thier own race, culture,ect. look bad and then starting the cycle all over again.

Kdog

I find it HILARIOUS that you act like ALL Americans are patriots.

America sucks. I'm American. There are American accents, Australian accents, English accents... It's all accents. English was not the first original language ever created, so you have an accent. We ALL have accents.

DougalHanson, you stereotype Americans. Not ALL of us decide to be **, Jesus-obsessed, nationalistic pieces of shit. And trust me, the majority of people leading America ARE Jesus-obsessed nationalistic pieces of shit, but just because the majority is does not mean everyone is. Learn a thing or 2 about stereotypes. You English blokes have some. Buck toothed, suit-wearing, beer-hating, . That's your stereotype over here, and I know it's not true for every Englishman (**, it's not even the majority).

I'd appreciate it if you were a little less patriotic/nationalistic and more reasonable and rational, or else you're being a hypocrite.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

In response to “I find it HILARIOUS that you act like ALL...

I don't think a majority of people are jesus-obsesssed.... depends on where you are

Prof_E Prof_E

In response to “I don't think a majority of people are...

Most states are Jesusland. It's annoying as ****. I hate conservative areas.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

Us English blokes? How come you automatically class everyone who is not American as English?
I'm Australian.
America uses 25% of the world's oil and is only 4% of the world's population. If anything your greedy and self righteous.

DougalHanson DougalHanson

In response to “Us English blokes? How come you automatically...

It's an internet thing. England and America are at each other's throats, and I'm a former /b/tard so every time I see somebody **** about America, they're normally English.

Also because the OP is about ENGLAND AND AMERICA.

If you mean "your" as in "you're" as in "the big business men and leaders", then yes, I agree. But if you mean "your" as in "you're" as in "you yourself are greedy and self righteous," then you are so wrong. I don't consider myself human because I hate humans, but I can say that I'm no different than you are, most likely. Maybe I live in a smaller or larger house, maybe I have little or more friends, and maybe our personalities are similar or different, but in the end I'm still a person. You act as if we're the ONLY country who thinks we're all that.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

In response to “It's an internet thing. England and America...

And by "I don't consider myself human," I don't mean I'm any better than them. I consider myself an alien. And all of my friends. Any friend of mine that is human I will hate.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

You don't consider yourself human...
I mean you are as in Americans as a whole
major generalisation

DougalHanson DougalHanson

In response to “You don't consider yourself human... I mean...

I don't consider myself human because I hate humans. It's a me thing.

I am an American but for ** sake, man, I am NOT greedy. You're a real and retard if you actually think the people are like the leaders of America (the leaders are 'tards) and the big CEOs of America. We may be the richest, but our education? . Religion? . Judicial system? . Capitalism? (it's not even full capitalism, it's socialism and capitalism mixed together). It's all pretty , and I can tell you that one, I am not greedy. Two, America sucks (for seriously). Three, we're NOT better than any other country out there. And four, you're retarded if you actually think all Americans are the ** same.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

...Hmmm that's strange. Our greedy and self righteous what?

writingislife

That's not right because not only Americans speak English differently than people from the UK or whatever. There's plenty of Spanish, Asian, French, German etc. people who speak English with different accents. So yes, everyone has an accent and nobody's on a **** high horse.

raquelthewombat raquelthewombat

LyssaBlau LyssaBlau

In response to “Language is something that is constantly...

not always, unless you think redneck accents are beautiful

Ross Ross

In response to “not always, unless you think redneck accents...

try irre-****-sistable

DavidMadden DavidMadden

I hate everything redneck.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

Uh, no. There's many correct ways to pronounce things.

Jess_Doherty Jess_Doherty

In response to “*There are

*gives cookie* You win. O:

Jess_Doherty Jess_Doherty

In response to “*gives cookie* You win. O:

I contributed nothing to this discussion, but may I have a cookie as well?

Steve Steve

In response to “I contributed nothing to this discussion, but...

And your picture wants a cookie, too!

haha

What's the magic word?

Jess_Doherty Jess_Doherty

In response to “What's the magic word?

Alakazam? The world is quiet here? I smell carrots? Oooooh, oops, PLEASE!

Steve Steve

In response to “Alakazam? The world is quiet here? I smell...

Wrong. Clever, but wrong. Wrong. Wrong-est.

Jess_Doherty Jess_Doherty

ooh me too!!!

Anonymous

In response to “ooh me too!!!

No. No cookie for you.

Jess_Doherty Jess_Doherty

In response to “ooh me too!!!

And, yes, no cookie for you.

Steve Steve

There's a reason why they put r's at the end of some words, britfags.

Brett Brett

In response to “There's a reason why they put r's at the end...

sad you don't sound as hot as they do?

sara24 sara24

In response to “sad you don't sound as hot as they do?

Sad you don't look as hot as us?

Brett Brett

In response to “Sad you don't look as hot as us?

I'm not british

sara24 sara24

In response to “I'm not british

Then why were you arguing for their accent

Brett Brett

In response to “Then why were you arguing for their accent

I like the way it sounds, but I do think that American english is clearer and easier to understand

sara24 sara24

In response to “I like the way it sounds, but I do think that...

yeah maybe because you come from america
to the rest of the world you sound like cowboys

DougalHanson DougalHanson

In response to “yeah maybe because you come from america to...

But there are many ways to pronounce things in America as well! Not everyone has a southern accent. Or a New England accent. There is no one American accent, just like there is no ONE British accent. A person from London will speak differently than one from Liverpool. So I agree that the the English language originated from England, but that doesn't mean its the only way to speak it. America is a melting pot of different cultures, so it is only natural that we don't speak English the same way England does.

JayneCobb JayneCobb

this tea is simply MAHHHHHHHHVELOUS

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

In response to “this tea is simply MAHHHHHHHHVELOUS

I laughed so hard.

Galileo Galileo

Ahahaha. Awesome.

Sahil

I love you.

Anonymous

How do you have such a high comment rating when you comment is so insulting?

SalientK

In response to “How do you have such a high comment rating...

It's probably from a bunch of americans who got butthurt after seeing the original post.

Anonymous

In response to “It's probably from a bunch of americans who...

Your mom is butthurt.

Galileo Galileo

In response to “Your mom is butthurt.

I am so gonna use that...

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

Americans say 'and' wrong. They say 'end' when it clearly has a friggin' A. ****' Americans.

Anonymous

In response to “Americans say 'and' wrong. They say 'end'...

I have never heard an American pronounce "and" as "end".

DerpinaMcDerpington DerpinaMcDerpington

I know in the South, we kind of drop the "a" and the "d" and just use the "n," but I have never heard an American say end instead of and.

Retooser Retooser

actually....http://www.nicholasjohnpatrick....ritish-accents
so american accents came first, and therefore americans pronounce things properly :p
but british accents are still amusing :]

Anonymous

In response to “actually....http://www.nicholasjohnpatrick.com/...

:( I was going to post this.

Sahil

What about Canadian accents, eh?

Anonymous

Anonymous

ERM you speak English, which kind of means that the English speak it properly.

Anonymous

Sorry, but the bit in that article about all British accents being 'non-rhotic' is bollocks. I'm from the South of England and speak 'BBC English' as they so call it and know perfectly well how I pronounce a word.
Meh, I think this whole debate's pointless anyway. (:

thinkfathomless thinkfathomless

In response to “Sorry, but the bit in that article about all...

It didn't say all British accents are non-rhotic. It said "the terms “British accent” and “American accent” are oversimplifications; there were, and still are, many constantly-evolving regional British and American accents." That means there are different accents in different areas.

Galileo Galileo

Actually, Great Britain MADE the English language, we have the correct pronunciation - it's you Americans that pronounce it wrong.

SergeantPenguin SergeantPenguin

In response to “Actually, Great Britain MADE the English...

Did you read the articles that Anonymous posted? The original "British" accent went through more changes while the American accent remained rhotic.

When you think about it, it makes sense: England, the country of the language's origin, had more authority over its changing course. The United States, the borrower of the language, felt less authorized to change it. It's all very interesting.

Of course, neither one is more correct than the other, because both are accepted.

SalientK

In response to “Did you read the articles that Anonymous...

wtf, that doesn't make sense. Do you really think that the US "felt less authorized". Were they thinking "Oh, no we better to keep the pronounciation the same so we don't offend the Brits." I doubt it, especially in that time period. During the American revolution, they wanted nothing to do with Britain so they would actually have been more likely to change the language just to spite the British.

But I agree with the rest of your comment though.

soccerfan soccerfan

In response to “wtf, that doesn't make sense. Do you really...

Either one makes sense, if you ask me. It's not always the obvious answer that's true, but then again, sometimes it is.

SalientK

Actually, the British are where the southern accents came from. It's the attempt from colonies like Georgia (the Loyalists in the American Revolution - The ones who fought on the British side) to sound just like the British, because they thought everything they did was the right way. Just saying, it wasn't that the Americans wanted nothing to do with the Brits...

Lizzy Lizzy

In response to “Actually, the British are where the southern...

The middle colonies, not the southern ones, held the majority of loyalists. Patriots controlled most of the south and suppressed any loyalist support there, so your theory doesn't fit. Besides, even if it were true, the fact that their children would grow up in an independent US would mostly eliminate this loyalist influence. But I was just saying it's unlikely that any of that had anything to do with the changing of the accents. It was more likely just a natural evolution of speech due more to the influx of different cultures and languages than political motivation.

soccerfan soccerfan

Thank you son.

Whacka Whacka

stole it from a comedian, heard a british comic say it before. Your unorigional and discust me that you took that as your credit.

Anonymous

In response to “stole it from a comedian, heard a british...

It *disgusts* me that you can't use grammar or spelling that's even close to correct.

soccerfan soccerfan

What do we pronounce wrong? Just wondering...

Richard Richard

In response to “What do we pronounce wrong? Just wondering...

The fact that you pronounce the o's like a's? Maybe?
Or the fact that the d's are more like r's?

BobWilson BobWilson

In response to “The fact that you pronounce the o's like a's?...

Whaaat? Give an example of a word.

shortdog

In response to “Whaaat? Give an example of a word.

Not a word, everything you pronounce!
For example... umm.. dog!
Americans say something like daaag
and... water!
Americans say like warer, with a rolling 'r' sound

BobWilson BobWilson

In response to “Not a word, everything you pronounce! For...

Uhm, actually, not ALL Americans pronounce words like that, jackass.

Damaged

Such a pointless argument. Do you REALLY care about this? It's so stupid. We both speak the same language. If you and me were to meet up and talk we would both understand each other. So what's the big deal?

Richard Richard

In response to “Such a pointless argument. Do you REALLY...

I apologize for my argument which is, as you mentioned, pointless. My intention was not to insult Americans but to point out how we pronounce differently. I may have been wrong to call your pronunciation wrong. After all, who's to say what's wrong?

To whom I do not apologize is to Damaged, who clearly went to insult instead of having a solid argument, so Damaged, shut up, you are worthless.

I apologize again, rboyer23

BobWilson BobWilson

In response to “I apologize for my argument which is, as you...

Oh it's alright. An argument is good every once in awhile and thanks for being mature about it rather than being a huge douche lol.

Richard Richard

i have never heard any american pronounce water warer or dog daag. get over yourself. there are different ways to pronounce things. like data. you can say it day-ta or dah-ta but both are correct. same with british and american spelling color and colour are both correct.

edwardsgrrl_forever

I have NEVER heard an American say those words like that.

willisjaw willisjaw

My friend says gat instead of got, but that's just because he was from a certain part of the state that speaks a little differently. And when we say ladder, it doesn't sound like latter. I'm American, and I'm sorry, you're wrong.

GabrielBrown GabrielBrown

Im pretty sure I don't pronounce "water" "warer" or "dog" "daaaag"

ItsBritniBetch ItsBritniBetch

How the hell are d's like r's?

Anthony

In response to “How the hell are d's like r's?

Oh, I meant t's

BobWilson BobWilson

In response to “Oh, I meant t's

actually d's too, as in ladder

BobWilson BobWilson

In response to “actually d's too, as in ladder

Uhh, we say ladder perfectly. Wahder. And dawg. You gotta work on your American accent, dude.

shortdog

In response to “Uhh, we say ladder perfectly. Wahder. And...

Why would I want an american accent if I have a british one which is the proper way to pronounce things?

BobWilson BobWilson

In response to “Why would I want an american accent if I have...

get the ** over yourself you **

edwardsgrrl_forever

Wow. Perhaps you should consider eating a slice of humble pie and shutting up.
We are different COUNTRIES and if I recall, a majority of us speak ENGLISH. You go to Africa and you will find people that speak english perfectly, but it sounds different then how people in America or England speak. Does that make them wrong? NO.
English is the most common found language in the world, and we all say things differently. No one is right, no one is wrong when it comes to pronouncing words. Well....unless you pronounce Cat as Fhieghirgnirguherfofim. Then you might need some help.
Also, I have never met someone who said 'warer' or anything of the sort. And I'm in a country based-cowboy filled town where 80% of the people have a drawl.
Yet these are my opinions, you are entitled to your own.

ScrewMidol ScrewMidol

In response to “Wow. Perhaps you should consider eating a...

Hahahahahahah "Well....unless you pronounce Cat as Fhieghirgnirguherfofim" ♥

Lizzy Lizzy

Everyone needs to stop the argument cause there is no seriously old book from the time that the english language was made saying how to say certain words. Accents are accents there not the language it's just how you say a certain word.

Anonymous

You pronounce "Internet" as "Innernet".

Anonymous

In response to “You pronounce "Internet" as...

Haha not really.

Richard Richard

No, not quite.

DerpinaMcDerpington DerpinaMcDerpington

Then why are there sub-accents among accents (i.e New York, Southern)?

Tinkerbell Tinkerbell

In response to “Then why are there sub-accents among accents...

I think it usually reflects the interaction between different cultures and languages in the region.

soccerfan soccerfan

if you do your research you will find that the current english accent developed after the "american" accent

Anonymous

In response to “if you do your research you will find that...

Where the hell did you get that rubbish from?

BobWilson BobWilson

In response to “Where the hell did you get that rubbish from?

So basically, the old British accent was like American accents today. Sorry if this 'rubbish' can't get through to you.

Alyssa

The proper way to say it is "Where the hell did you get that GARBAGE from?"

Learn the proper way.

(that was sarcasm)

Anonymous

Of course this is going to get heaps of 'No ways', there's more Americans on here than English. But the English accent was the first way of speaking English. However, since then, it has evolved in different bits of the country.

Kaitlyn Kaitlyn

In response to “Of course this is going to get heaps of 'No...

Actually, if you haven't seen all the other comments with facts and articles to back them up, the first way of speaking English in Britain was closer to today's American accent.

Alyssa

In response to “Actually, if you haven't seen all the other...

I'm pretty sure that if you did your research you'd find out that speech started out as grunts and noises. So by your logic, because it's older, it must be correct.

Ugh! Grr! Huh!

twisted_memories twisted_memories

In response to “I'm pretty sure that if you did your research...

I didn't say it was the correct way, I said it was the first way. Of English, not speech. And I said it because Kaitlyn said that the English accent was the first way of speaking English, and it wasn't.

Alyssa

I hate how brits pronounce the word "literally". It sounds like "lit-trolly"

Anonymous

In response to “I hate how brits pronounce the word...

Hate is such a strong word . . . but wow, you really hit the nail on the head with that one.

SalientK

Aww really? I love that. No wait. I strongly enjoy to hear that.

Brookeissocoollike Brookeissocoollike

That's the way you say it. Not "liderally", there's no D in it.

Anthony

In response to “That's the way you say it. Not...

Old post, but I'm going to comment anyway.

We are both pronouncing it differently from how it's spelled.
"Lit-trolley" is leaving out a syllable, "Liderally" is not pronouncing the "t".

Anonymous

In response to “Old post, but I'm going to comment...

I dont say it like "lit trolley" though

Anthony

as opposed to the American "LIRRRRREEEERRALLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

StaceysDad StaceysDad

In response to “as opposed to the American...

I have never heard 'literally' pronounced like that in America.

Clay_ Clay_

I live in America and I pronounce it that way.

tea_ tea_

Don't assume that you know anything about the British culture. Stupid poster.

HarryPotterPWNSAll

In response to “Don't assume that you know anything about the...

And don't assume that the poster isn't British. Stupid annoymous.

ScrewMidol ScrewMidol

The English accent doesn't pronounce their r's right. Example: car. they say it something like cah....well no. lol its much more harder to type than to say. But all i'm saying is that i think the American accent is the more correct one. I do love English accents, they're beautiful, but i think Americans can pronounce better.

bri_xD bri_xD

In response to “The English accent doesn't pronounce their...

I think that's the difference between rhotic and non-rhotic speech. Americans pronounce the letter R, while the British don't do it as often. That doesn't mean it's incorrect, though, just because the written letter aren't pronounced.

I mean, look at the French language. They don't pronounce a lot of their letter, but what are you going to say? "You're speaking your language incorrectly?" It's just a stylistic approach that evolved, and apparently a popular style: French and English accents are usually highly regarded.

SalientK

In response to “I think that's the difference between rhotic...

Love it!

This post is stupid, we all speak English (those of us who actually speak English, obviously French people speak French, and so-on), end of story. There are literally thousands of different accents and pronunciations within the English language that no one could be correct and none could be wrong.

twisted_memories twisted_memories

Here in New England states, we don't pronounce our r's "correctly" either. We say things like "cah', "yahd" etc.

Captain_Coconut Captain_Coconut

In response to “Here in New England states, we don't...

In Boston (maybe other places I don't know of), they say "cah" and "yahd", not in New Jersey (where I live), or any other states around here that I've been to.

AnnDeeva AnnDeeva

In response to “In Boston (maybe other places I don't know...

Well, up here in Maine we do. Of course the accent all depends if they're a transplant or not. I wasn't grouping New Jersey in anyway, seeing as it isn't a New England state.

Captain_Coconut Captain_Coconut

in welsh and scottish, the "r" is rolled.....

StaceysDad StaceysDad

Both America and England have way loads of different accents in different parts of the country, so saying that Britain does it better is generalising. Even though it is ENGLISH, even the English speak with different accents. Like London and Liverpool accents are totally different. So that's a stupid thing to say. I'm British btw.

Anonymous

Oh dear. So much drama on this one comment. It's hilarous. I'm American and I perfer British accents, mostly because I am a 14 year old girl whos hormones are crazy. ;D haha. Stop aguring you guys. We all speak English, no one is speaking Spanish- ha, joke. I'm Dominican. Don't worry. Ha, THIS WOULD BE A HILAROUS AGUREMENT TO WATCH IN REAL LIFE. haaa<3

KAYLA

should not be POTD! (ono)

sugarbaby sugarbaby

In response to “should not be POTD! (ono)

Why not? It humored me

JamiLovesYou JamiLovesYou

In response to “Why not? It humored me

i don't know.. like it made me laugh and all, but it isn't the funniest i have ever seen

sugarbaby sugarbaby

In response to “i don't know.. like it made me laugh and all...

Eh, I don't think POTD is really for the most funniest, imo of course.

JamiLovesYou JamiLovesYou

It's not always meant to be funny; it can also be interesting or thought provoking. Or snarky, in this case. :P

SalientK

In response to “It's not always meant to be funny; it can...

idk doesn't seem to be "awesome" to me. but it isn't my decision so oh well! until tomorrow at 7pm!

sugarbaby sugarbaby

This is like saying the Chinese don't pronounce English correctly while they're speaking Chinese. In England you speak differently than we do so it's not going to be the exact same language. For example we say "pants" and you say "trousers" (I know that because of my British friend).
So you pronounce your language correctly and we pronounce ours correctly.

youreXallXcrazy

This is what I used to think when I was five. Then I did this wonderous thing called "maturing." It's very complex, and I'm not sure if the OP would understand it.

ctiscooler ctiscooler

British: "Can I have a spo' of tea, sah?"
American: "Can you pour me some tea, sir?"

Which sounds right?

Anonymous

In response to “British: "Can I have a spo' of tea...

American: true dat

British: I do say that your comment was absoLUTELY coherent and thought-provoking and not shallow and pedantic in the least. Fine thinking, sah.

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

actually, the american for that should be "yall should git some tea now, yahear?"

yddraigarian yddraigarian

In response to “actually, the american for that should be...

I consider Tennessee to be its own country, so they don't count! Lol, jk.

SalientK

do you know how many states actually talk like that?

not very many. and even in those states, a lot of people don't even talk like that.

Anonymous

In response to “do you know how many states actually talk...

well not a lot of brits talk like the english example up there. this is exactly my point, thank you :]

yddraigarian yddraigarian

In response to “well not a lot of brits talk like the english...

Hmmm... touche' :)

Richard Richard

you should take it as a compliment that americans think you talk that way. most americans put a british accent at high esteem and it represents upper class. I myself hope to make a home in england someday, and it would just be nice if people didn't assume i'm a kentucky hick.

Anonymous

Wow. I live in Louisiana and i only hear like 1 every 20 people talk like that.

TheRealCVerde TheRealCVerde

Umm, nice try, but we're not all country. ****.

Anonymous

In response to “Umm, nice try, but we're not all country. ****.

nice try, but we dont all leave consonants out of our words.

yddraigarian yddraigarian

Actually, I think you're thinking of either a regional Northern accent or another regional accent. The stereotypical British person speaks nothing like that. I should know. :L

thinkfathomless thinkfathomless

BRITAIN IS NOT A LITTLE VILLAGE WHERE EVERYONE KNOWS EACH OTHER AND SHARES JAM. THERE ARE A FEW COUNTRIES AND REGIONS.

StaceysDad StaceysDad

In response to “BRITAIN IS NOT A LITTLE VILLAGE WHERE...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR CAPS LOCK BUTTON? IS IT STUCK? YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET THAT FIXED!

Anonymous

In response to “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR CAPS LOCK BUTTON? IS...

NO, I'M FINE THANK YOU!

StaceysDad StaceysDad

In response to “NO, I'M FINE THANK YOU!

WELL THEN, HAVE A NICE DAY!

Anonymous

In response to “WELL THEN, HAVE A NICE DAY!

YOU TOO, AND MAKE SURE TO GIVE MY LOVE TO THE WIFE AND KIDS!

StaceysDad StaceysDad

This was only made POTD because anthony is British, way to play "favourites".

Amish_Allosaurus Amish_Allosaurus

Wot?! Wiey un tuh bluddeh ell wos tis mahd thuh POTD?

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

There are just some words everyone should say, like blimey, rubbish, and grotesque. I know that last one isn't specifically English, but more people should say it. Of course no one should pronounce Tuna as Teuna. It's just wrong.

Bossman Bossman

In response to “There are just some words everyone should...

I love "rubbish." And I use "grotesque" all the time.

SalientK

Bloody hell, I think you're on to something! I love saying 'bloody hell'

ScrewMidol ScrewMidol

And Shenanigans! I'm not sure where that one originated, but I love it :]

Lizzy Lizzy

This is POTD because Anthony is British, isn't it?
I see how it is.
Some people haven't gotten over the revolutionary war..

JennaGee JennaGee

ok, umm...there is no friggin' 'right' way to say something. accents are acquired, and no one accent is right. it's just the way it is. accents are what separate us from one another, they're part of our culture. this is actually a really ignorant comment, and they aren't right.

charmedgirl63

well i think we would need a third party to decide this.

but this post made me laugh. i only nw'd it cuz i'm american :P

jen jen

for some reason, a lot of people I meet seem to think I'm british...and others think I'm a boy. So, apperently, I'm a british boy insted of an american girl...

Treeleaf Treeleaf

i never seen a POTD with so much negative lol

hamirite

In response to “i never seen a POTD with so much negative lol

I'm sure there have been worse.

Btw, does anyone know if there is an archive of POTDs?

SalientK

In response to “I'm sure there have been worse. Btw, does...

like all the potds, right?
www.amirite.net/potd, I believe

JamiLovesYou JamiLovesYou

when you're on the homepage, click on the tag that says "Post of the Day," it'll bring you to the list of past POTDs :)

SamG SamG

In response to “when you're on the homepage, click on the tag...

@665628 (SamG): Thank all of you guys! Pretty eerie that you all posted at about the same time, though.

SalientK

In response to “@665627 (JamiLovesYou): @665628 (SamG): Thank...

Whoa, that is pretty eerie. Only a few seconds apart. :O

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

Ahem. There is no 'correct' way to pronounce, for example, the letter r. It's just a line on a page. The only thing connecting the written letter to the sound we make with our mouths is convention, an agreement between people; when you change the people, very often you also change the agreement. Saying that one convention is correct while another is wrong is like saying "Silly Germans, this isn't an apfel, it's an apple. How could you be so wrong?"

LewisL LewisL

In response to “Ahem. There is no 'correct' way to pronounce...

Well said. Probably the most insightful comment on here.

SalientK

There are tons of different accents within England as well. Which of them are pronouncing it properly? Cockneys? Scousers? Geordies? Brummies? Mancunians? There is no "right" way to say anything.

acg706

You people are all retarded. America rocks, England sucks. End of story.

jesssss

In response to “You people are all retarded. America rocks...

Way to have a unbiased, open-minded opinion.

Alyssa

You're just mad because when you go over seas you have to wear a Canadian flag.

twisted_memories twisted_memories

there's no such thing as being a douchebag. it's just the effect created when one believes they're superior to everyone else and expresses it rudely.

Anonymous

Canadian accents surpass both the American and British forms.

Anonymous

In response to “Canadian accents surpass both the American...

From what I can tell, Canadian accents aren't terribly different from American accents or, for that matter, New Zealand accents. We're not the only ones who decided to keep pronouncing our Rs, apparently. :P

SalientK

In response to “From what I can tell, Canadian accents aren't...

Most New Zealanders definitely do not say their r's. Only people from places like Gore in the south pronounce their r's...

Anonymous

In response to “Most New Zealanders definitely do not say...

Oh. Well, there was a period when I was researching New Zealand out of pure interest, and most of people in the videos I saw had very similar accents to what I'm used to. Maybe they were all filmed in Gore? I don't know, but that's just the impression I got. You sound knowledgeable, though.

SalientK

My Canadian accent is far different from anything I've heard in the States. But my Canadian accent is a east coast one. There are hundreds of different accents throughout Canada alone. And my friend Stew is from NZ, he had an awesome accent!

twisted_memories twisted_memories

I've got to say, as a New Zealander, Canadian accents are NOTHING like our accents. I know heaps of Canadians that live here and their accents sound more like accents from the USA. We don't pronounce our r's. Seriously. They're no where near the same.

Kaitlyn Kaitlyn

In response to “I've got to say, as a New Zealander, Canadian...

As a Canadian, I'll agree!

twisted_memories twisted_memories

i think american accents are correct, well proper american accents(:

smokebluntsfuckcunts smokebluntsfuckcunts

There's no right or wrong way to say English words. There isn't a right or wrong for any language at all. It might SEEM like it, but it's traditional. Traditional does NOT mean RIGHT. It's just how much that way is accepted.

Like if we spoke English like the Russians do for centuries, then some guy would talk like how we do NOW and we'd think he's a freak. (just trying to example it)

rockerman1080 rockerman1080

In response to “There's no right or wrong way to say English...

I agree! Another example.. We could change the time from 12:00 midnight to 9:00AM. It would still be right! But it would be dark at 9 and bright at 12.

GabrielBrown GabrielBrown

This is like when spanish people argue what country speaks spanish the most correct. Pointless.

adam adam

a potd going negative?

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “a potd going negative?

This isn't the first

JamiLovesYou JamiLovesYou

Jimmy Carr says this in his standup routine

Anonymous

teh brits ahh ****.

Anonymous

In response to “teh brits ahh ****.

People can't be a bundle of sticks!

twisted_memories twisted_memories

I hate it when people say there are multiple ways to pronounce things, then many people out there sound like bloody idiots. Same with grammar and spelling...

Straight_Pride

Hahahaha. This is too ridiculous to even be an argument, 'course there's no right or wrong way to say things. But it sure is fun to watch.

Personally I think Canadian accents are VERY sexy. Just saying.

Memento Memento

Anonymous

In response to “I know, eh?

Goah, that was hot.

Memento Memento

In response to “I know, eh?

i came

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

In response to “Hahahaha. This is too ridiculous to even be...

Awe, thank you :) Uhm... Eh?

twisted_memories twisted_memories

In response to “Awe, thank you :) Uhm... Eh?

No problem ;) I know it's a stereotype, but I think it's as cute as hell. I regret that in my brief time in Canada, I didn't pay more attention to the accents.

Memento Memento

Noo doot aboot it.

Bossman Bossman

In response to “Noo doot aboot it.

Why, isn't everyone jes' bein' so kind to little ol' me today! :D all y'all are real sweet.

Memento Memento

i love english accents. but that's not the correct pronunciation.
really west coast americans pronounce all their letter sounds

DavidMadden DavidMadden

DIAGON ALLEY. DIAGONALLY. Thank goodness I pronounce the latter the "American" way, otherwise we would be dropping Harry Potter references everywhere.

Anonymous

In response to “DIAGON ALLEY. DIAGONALLY. Thank goodness I...

wait what? if they're two different words we diferentiate between the two SEPERATE words. which is why we would end up in DIAGON ALLEY

Anonymous

This doesn't make a lick of sense!

twisted_memories twisted_memories

I found myself saying diagonally without the O. Strange.

Galileo Galileo

Think about it, America MUST have the correct pronunciation. Other wise why would they be talking so slow...?

Anonymous

YES YES ...the Angles INVENTED english but even among themselves they have different accents, thats why i put "no way"

mylifeisfly mylifeisfly

I clicked yes, but now i am not so sure. Sometimes when i hear lots of people talking with a british accent, say on a tv show, those feelings of happiness and elation at the wonder of the sound seem to fade a bit.
What im trying to say is that i think we do need other accents, if only so we can truly appreciate British ones.

Anonymous

British accents are easier to understand.
All I can hear from America is "Oh mah GAWD! That's TEWTALLY AWEEEESOME. WaDAWP ADAM!!"
Oh, and British ancestors actually sailed over to America, so the British accent has been around for a longer time than the American accent. And so what if Americans diverged their accent? It doesn't make them have the proper pronunciation, they CHANGED their accent so nonetheless it is far less stable than the British accent which was around before America was even discovered.

Whacka Whacka

In response to “British accents are easier to understand. All...

That isn't the point of the original post, he's saying there's NO British accent when there is, even though it has the proper pronunciation.

Anonymous

I'll say this again; just because a language is older or whatever, doesn't make it right. Trace language back to grunts and noises on that logic, it's the oldest and therefore the proper way to speak!

twisted_memories twisted_memories

I'm pretty sure there are more accents in the world and not just a british English or American English one.

Huh

Why are most people talking about British accents instead of just english ones like it says in the post? Us Welsh'uns speak totally different, along witht the Scotts and the Irish people. But don't wory, I'm only saying this because I have nothing interesting to bring to this debate and feel left out.

animagus animagus

what is amirite? coming to with a negative quote of the day?

rambo+monkey

In response to “what is amirite? coming to with a negative...

(rambo+monkey): *POST of the day. And it's not the first.

Anonymous

(rambo+monkey): POTD isn't about having a happy, funny, well-liked post every day.

twisted_memories twisted_memories

In response to “(rambo+monkey): POTD isn't about having a...

yeah well it should be somewhat interesting.

IWANTURPEANUTS IWANTURPEANUTS

Texas accents :) Y'all are such a hoot

Yeahhbuddy1 Yeahhbuddy1

At the end of the day, Britain>America. Come on, if you were to choose your own accents, you'd pick English accent over American accent ANYDAY.

Anonymous

How do you even know what proper is? It's like assuming that everyone sees purple as well... Purple. This post is **** because something like this cannot be argued. Australians, who came from Brits technically should have the same accent, yet it's EXTREMELY different. L2argue the argueable. (besides all accents have an attractive qualit about them)

Anonymous

well.... i love the brit accent and sometimes i talk like it because its pretty cool. but i'm american

Anonymous

I'm from Britain..and tbh half the people from England don't pronounce words properly anyway and talk like 'chavs' which I hate..I'm not sure if all Americans know what Chavs are but ah well. But I still accept that's how some people talk. Everyone talks different, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Liloquand Liloquand

the word again, why do we Americans say, "Ah-gen" when by spelling it obviously should be said "ah-gain"

ain is NOT en

Child_Of_Gallifrey Child_Of_Gallifrey

Mid-land accent FTW!

kokoraki

Technically English is derived from many languages the most prominent being Latin so if you're arguing where English started you should shut the **** up because its not like they made up even half the words themselves

garrettruskamp garrettruskamp

"English" accent? Hate to break it to you but.....there's quite a few.

StaceysDad StaceysDad

In response to “"English" accent? Hate to break it to...

Hate to break it to you but... I think she was talking about it in general.

UrkiN UrkiN

In response to “Hate to break it to you but... I think she...

hate to break it to you, but i think your MUM was talking about it in general.
which means i win.

StaceysDad StaceysDad

In response to “hate to break it to you, but i think your MUM...

Hate to break it to you but... my father wasn't so it evens out.

Which means our scores are equal.

UrkiN UrkiN

Your right, the English created the *English* language, and the Americans 'messed with it'.

JT874

YOHOHO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM. lolololol oj gin? but seriously is it not and then again why? jajaja

Anonymous

holy shit. this is the POTD?!

IWANTURPEANUTS IWANTURPEANUTS

Seriously, this became British vs. American? A lot of other countries speak English with their own accents. **** you guys. This is why the American colonists stopped putting up with you; you and your damn high horses got on EVERYONE'S nerves.

**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.
**** you.

Is how this whole conversation made me feel.

& Yes I realize I sound ignorant by cursing so much, but I don't **** care.

Lizzy Lizzy

In response to “Seriously, this became British vs. American?...

It's not the cursing that makes you sound ignorant, it's the history bit. And the generalisation bit. Just saying.

thinkfathomless thinkfathomless

This argument really made me laugh.. I mean, come on guys, seriously?! I think the original post was meant to be a joke anyway so.. Yeah. I'm English and do love my accent but I really hate it when Americans either complain about the way we pronouce things, vice versa or when people argue about which is correct. I mean, seriously, get over it. Yeah, so, the language evolved from Latin, Greek, Germanic languages and assorted other influences in England but people did their own thing with it. So what. Go into etymology if you really care.

However, the British posts being marked down and American posts marked up at the top is kind of stupid.. It's really not a big deal.

thinkfathomless thinkfathomless

um, no. brits have it wrong. but AMERICANS have it worse. SOUTH AFRICAN ACCENT IS THE WAY TO GO

Annoying_Orange

In response to “um, no. brits have it wrong. but AMERICANS...

South African accents ARE SO BADASS!

raquelthewombat raquelthewombat

I'm reading all of these comments in my mind in a Welsh accent anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me as much :P

StaceysDad StaceysDad

All of these comments remind me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpJ3yzUPbL0

Enjoy. (:

broadwaygleek broadwaygleek

I love how everyone points straight to Americans when they're talking about how we 'butchered the language and pronunciation' but in reality American's aren't the only ones who speak **** English in this world god damn it.

raquelthewombat raquelthewombat

I live in the USA and I hate it when people use stereotypical British accents.
Ex: "Well, good DAY, sah! I HOPE you had an absoLUTEly WONdahful day! Blimey! I am late foh wohk! I DO have to go! Pip pip, cheerio!"

jitterbug_145

As far as I'm concerned nothing is funnier than the real townie wexford (that's in Ireland folks) accent. Youtube it I'm sure there's something on it :) of course the Dub accent is pretty funny too

bobpantsspongesquare bobpantsspongesquare

In response to “As far as I'm concerned nothing is funnier...

By Dub I'm assuming you mean Dublin? Well anyway I love how they say **** as MODDAHFUCKAH I always laugh

raquelthewombat raquelthewombat

In response to “By Dub I'm assuming you mean Dublin? Well...

Yeah the good ol' dubliners! Personally I like Jayz-us (Jesus). And no Im not trying to start a Religious debate with anyone reading this :)

I assume this is a joke meant to jack with people. Accents don't bother me at all. That said, I don't go gaga over them either.As long as the person is understood, who gives a damn.

SnobbyDrugAddict SnobbyDrugAddict

I can't believe I started to read all of these comments. Hate to break it to you guys, but this is just a silly waste of time.

yup, i said it.

Trolling; You're Doing it Right.

Anonymous

in ur fase johnjammersmitherdude no1 aree http://www.amirite.net/393880 w/ u!!!

princessofpop

I think all the singers on here will agree with me when i say: singing with a Brittish accent creates a much more beautiful tone and gets rid of all the ugly r's we use in America.

Anonymous

I didn't read all these comments...
But just throwing this out there..John Oliver, the comedian, said this like, two years ago.

MrsxBillxKaulitz MrsxBillxKaulitz

this is rather funny. i mean really. its an accident. If the end of the world comes who is really gonna **** care?

BAHAHAHA_winkface

English came from England, which is why he is saying there is no Englsh accets. There is an American accent, numerous ones, on the English language, and there are numerous accents within England itself. But the poster is correct. &he never said there aren't such things as accents, just that there aren't English ones.

tea_ tea_

Ever heard of the British Accent (for example)? They have one.

EternalSailorSol EternalSailorSol