Mein_Geistjayybabbiix3Fred_WeasleyGlishiousPredyTrishsavvieSkjetchMaryCourage_WolfLittleRedSpyder_CatrubienicoleKashuBeautiful_RivalTatum_MinusChanningMj1996eldoritoKalopsialucichDanielaSnobbyDrugAddictdontsteponaduckAvatar_RokuBenBiggsForgaymarriagewhisperedtoucheshandydanmackie_Bun10mileycyrusJellyBlockkipkayifyjaygirl1Kazziesuperkeeliirod007BellaGrace1003peace_love_happinessThePuppetWithWingsafterawhileCanadian_Ninjamchalla3alidoodle23plano98cheshire_catmiddleseisgommy2bearBoufakamakeup_nerd

Moonfang66crazyllamasxiofangSenrabbmBrandonisonfireilikefurrywolves4815orange926awesomesockskidder4life31sydnaynayMagestic_mermanYouKnowMattj3llomas3r21chiddybangpleasestandbySOFTBALL8

Nobody :(
Even if you say cheerleading isn't a sport there's still a part of you that knows if you were forced to do competitive cheerleading you wouldn't be able to do it, amirite?

people that says it isn't a sport are haters..that looks hard

Predy Predy

Still not a sport. It's just overglorified dancing. lol, seriously.

Mein_Geist

Maybe I seem too sensitive about this topic, but cheerleading (competitively) is, in fact, a sport. Competitive cheer isn't impossible, but it is some tough stuff. And I don't like how it says "if you were forced" because cheerleading is freaking awesome and extremely fun.

ilikeit ilikeit

Predy Predy

In response to “people that says it isn't a sport are...

Painting is hard. Is painting a sport?

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

No. Cheerleading is not a sport. This is a fact, actually. Not even an opinion. It officially got ruled not a sport (does that make sense? We'll you know what I mean.) See this: http://articles.nydailynews.com...nnecticut-post

And just because I wouldn't be able to do it doesn't make it a sport. It's hard to eat 40 hot dogs in under a minute, doesn't mean its a sport.

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

In response to “No. Cheerleading is not a sport. This is a...

I really don't understand that ruling. The basic definition of a sport is a physical activity involving a competitive element. Competitive cheerleading would fit this. It's essentially gymnastics/dance as a term sport.

Anonymous

In response to “I really don't understand that ruling. The...

The judge apparently ruled that the "primary purpose" was the support of other athletic teams, not competition.

BP032 BP032

In response to “The judge apparently ruled that the...

Was that in there? I just skimmed over it haha. That would be a really case by case basis on deciding whether it's a sport or not. I'm sure there are many cheerleading squads who would state their primary purpose as competing.

Anonymous

I think that's just school or little kid cheerleading, not competitive cheerleading.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

In response to “I think that's just school or little kid...

If cheerleading needs to be grouped into "little kid" cheerleading and competative cheerleading, that has a statement there. That's like saying Little League Baseball isn't a sport but the MLB is. Its the EXACT same thing, intensity of competition (or lack that of) shouldn't say if its a sport or not. If baseball is a sport from age 3-53, it's a sport. But if you're saying "little kid" cheerleading isn't a sport, how can competition make it one? It's the EXACT same thing, except one keeps score. (Score isn't kept in Little League, either)

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

In response to “If cheerleading needs to be grouped into...

Competitive cheerleading and school cheerleading are completely different things. School cheerleading is just there to support a team, but competitive cheerleading has its own teams who are competing against each other. Difficulty rating aside, LLB and MLB are playing the same game. School cheer and competitive cheer are not. You can also have "little kid" school cheerleading and "little kid" competitive cheerleading. They are two separate things.

CHEERLEADING8

In response to “Competitive cheerleading and school...

But what other sport has so many variations? There's one game no matter where you play it. You need to play a damn game!

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

I was taking that from the article:

"Under Title IX, an activity can be considered a sport if it meets certain criteria, namely that it has coaches, practices, competitions during a defined season, a governing organization, and competition as its primary goal - not just the support of other athletic teams, reports the Associated Press"

BP032 BP032

Isn't competitive eating a sport though?

ilikeit ilikeit

In response to “Isn't competitive eating a sport though?

Yes, and i have a medal to prove it.

kidder4life31 kidder4life31

If it is I'll throw my computer out a window. I really doubt that.

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

This is what I think should be the categories for a sport.
Physicality - Lots of effort should need to be taken, and a physically fitter person should have an advantage to someone that isn't as physically fit.
2. Clear Point System - the point system should be clear and should not depend much on human opinion. It should make no difference how good a person looks while getting the points.

And since cheerleading and dancing are mostly based on human opinion when giving points, they are not sport. (Of course that shouldn't detract the amount of effort and ability a person needs to do those things).

dan94 dan94

In response to “This is what I think should be the categories...

With that in mind, would you say combat sports (e.g. MMA, Muay Thai) are not sports? When fights go the full rounds, it's up to the judges. Judges can score fights differently depending on how they thought the fight went. You can gain points from strikes landed to ring control.

Anonymous

In response to “With that in mind, would you say combat...

You are right in the sense that judges can score differently to each other, but the major part is based on how many times the person's fist makes contact with the opponent (or whatever it is) and leaves very little room for opinions.
The major point should be that it should never matter how elegant a person looks, you should not get additional points for your looks.

dan94 dan94

What about ice skating? It's an Olympic sport, but judging is subjective.

Anonymous

In response to “What about ice skating? It's an Olympic...

I hate the Olympics argument. Honestly it's just awful. Ice skating is not a sport. Its an art. Just as dance is. Cheerleading is just kinda chilling there.

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

The Olympic argument is terrible because it isn't necessarily for sports. Painting and poetry writing have been part of the Olympics at some point, but no way in hell are those sports.

dan94 dan94

I agree with most of this with this, if it were only to touch the physically fit part lightly. What about bowling, golf, or even curling. All still require incredible ability, but those are more intricate and very self-Dependant.

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

In response to “I agree with most of this with this, if it...

The physical part should include physical ability you are right.

dan94 dan94

But what if a cheerleading team is purely competitive, and does not even support a team in any way?

Anonymous

Scrabble is hard. Doesn't make it a sport.

Magestic_merman Magestic_merman

In response to “Scrabble is hard. Doesn't make it a sport.

Scrabble is more of a mental effort than a physical effort.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

I don't see the relevance of whether or not I could do it has to it's being a sport. I could not play Football, but it's still a sport. I could not play Golf but it still is not a sport. I can blink but it is not a sport. I can not not write a symphony but that is not a sport. Where's the relation?

Maxnerd@school

In response to “I don't see the relevance of whether or not I...

Hey. Golf's a sport.

Nerdunderdog

But now how is golf not a sport?

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

I completely agree with this. I don't think cheerleading is a sport, but I do think it's hard work.

LittleRed LittleRed

Cheerleading is a sport to me.
We have intense practices to get flexible and strong, we treat games like we were the ones competing, and it's pretty difficult and dangerous. I'm a back base and stunting isn't easy.
But that's my opinion.

HannahGoesRawr

Cheerleading is deff a sport. Those girls have to b in great shape. I could never do it.

jb110195 jb110195

Continue