A_CookieFoodumsimma_dancerRubenKbondcatbondalisteeleagapesuhlizubethyumchadanceismyforeverSudsyStar173midnightcookiesCanadian_NinjaBabytard_RUMBLEROAR_YEAHMANCyanideBearBookworMMikeHuntNajiapokerface111singergirlnummypieAverageSlytherincubsfan012512PKMNTrainerStarKidMissAutumnFallCraig_dontyouknowsamii1382candisseStalkingPineappleSmooth_CriminalemilyolafsonlsnnedMusicIsMySaviormimsosaurusrexIsawagothopotamusSunshineSongSummerstarMhmmmNicole_AnonymousRowBotgay_boilauren4004WynautMyhipusernametequieroIttzelnomnomBig_Bosslelander15

MathkirsthewStar_Fox_EliteRebelJennaGeerapemasterflexBreakfastFanBANANABREADmileycyrusadiosToreadorsteelerman113ThattorichickEd_LJMBassistLindsmakepastanotwarslytherinangelsincerely_mereereeYour_Average_ZebracbradfordDurzoBlintSeaNannersThat_Tall_ChikawesomesocksFuzzyerinliannaclareProsopagnosiaLiloquandfrozencarrots49el_scorchomakaykaythekingofgingersImNeverGrowingUpDwightSexKittensomeoneyoudontknowheysoulsisterchichichichiaTazFavvkesBrettMacaroniSaladilurvcrayons18XCRunner5StrakchAndydufresnesham272afterawhileKristenJoerocks1222

addsernamekaneenybaneenymonika13_Mike_PaproDancePrincess0215yumchaTakko
Dance (ballet,jazz,modern,pointe) is a real SPORT. amirite?

Not a sport, but an art form.

Anonymous

woooo thankyou i love you :]

imma_dancer

Not a sport, but an art form.

Anonymous

no, it's a sport. do you guys have any idea how much strength training male dancers hae to do? and i have better muscle tone in my legs (i'm a dancer) than my boyfriend on the track team. Dance takes commitment and practice, and it is not easy to do.

Dancer24/7/365

In response to “no, it's a sport. do you guys have any idea...

(Dancer24/7/365): so does acting...it's only a sport in the instances where it is judged

Anonymous

(Dancer24/7/365): I agree with you completely but how come you said male* dancers? Female dancer work just as hard.

Nicole_Anonymous Nicole_Anonymous

(Dancer24/7/365): lots of thingstake commitment but that doesn't mean they're sports.

Taz Taz

In response to “(Dancer24/7/365): lots of thingstake...

When did anyone say that the fact that dance takes commitment is the *only* reason that it's a sport? it also takes strength, grace, athleticism, an ungodly level of fitness, and an incredibly high pain threshold.

addsername addsername

it's the combination of athleticism and beauty that makes ballet not just an art, but a difficult art

Anonymous

Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's a sport. I would say it's a respectable hobby, or as anon above me said, "art form".

JennaGee JennaGee

How many **** times will we have to go over this? Dance isn't a sport because the scoring is arbitrary and based on a judges opinion, and there is no interactive play. Yes it takes skill and athletescism and all that but it's not a sport, it's a performing art.

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

In response to “How many **** times will we have to go over...

There is a reason why so many football players are also dancers. The training for ballet/dance is way more intense than any other sport, and football players/other athletes benefit from the workout. Also, there are many dance competitions where there is scoring and when two people work together to create a beautiful dance, that can be considered "teamwork". I believe dance is both an art form and a sport.

singergirl

In response to “There is a reason why so many football...

Hard work doesn't make it a sport. And the point I was making wasn't about teamwork, it was about how in dance one dancer or group of dancers sit on the sidelines while the other one performs (emphasis on PERFORMS). In a sport, people compete at the same time at the same place with their opponents.

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

In response to “Hard work doesn't make it a sport. And the...

What would you say are the criteria for something to be called a sport?

addsername addsername

you keep saying "this DOESN'T make it a sport." So what DOES make something a sport?

Also, one dancers performing while others sit out doesn't apply to every performance. There are plenty performances, especially those that aren't strictly professional, where there are large groups of dancers where each person's movements complement all of the others'.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

No, the reason football players take dance/ballet is for balance, not because it's a hard workout. I do agree that dance is a sport though.

Supercarrot1

but isnt that how skating is judged? and a lot of olympic events?

tequiero tequiero

In response to “but isnt that how skating is judged? and a...

Skating isn't a sport. And they're the Olympic GAMES, not the Olympic Sports.

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

In response to “Skating isn't a sport. And they're the...

you don't have to have "interactive play" for something to be a sport. swimming is a sport and the only thing a swimmer interacts with is the water.

in addition to that, aren't refs sort of like judges. they get to choose if something is fair or not/if a rule was broken. and many refs make bad calls. in baseball, people are called out when they were safe, or strikes may be called balls. this happens in most sports. so by that logic, any sport with a ref isn't a sport either.

sarebear624 sarebear624

In response to “you don't have to have "interactive...

In swimming, the athletes are directly racing each other in the same pool at the same time. Direct play would have been a better choice of words. Refs make simple yes or no calls based on video evidence. You'll never hear an NFL ref say "After review, the ruling on the field stands. It's a touchdown. However, the receiver ran his route a little sloppy, so we are awarding 5 out of 6 points."

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

In response to “In swimming, the athletes are directly racing...

i see your point, but refs sometimes make the wrong call. in addition, judges base their scores on how well someone did a certain move. if a dancer doesn't point their toe up while doing an arabesque, they are doing the move wrong, so they lose points. and they are competing against other dancers. let's say one dancer received a score of a 9.8, and another of a 9.7. the dancer with the 9.8 would win. just like in swimming - if one swimmer gets a time of 1:23, and another gets a time of 1:21, the second would win. both the dancers and the swimmers are competing against others.

also, if a baseball player fumbles with the ball, it's considered an error, regardless of how good the throw was.

(sorry i'm not continuing with your football example, i don't know much about football)

sarebear624 sarebear624

In response to “i see your point, but refs sometimes make the...

That's true, but there is still a big difference between refs and judges. The points in figure skating and dancing are at least partially arbitrary.

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

In response to “That's true, but there is still a big...

as a former figure skater, i do agree that they are arbitrary. but, at least in my opinion, i don't believe that being arbitrary means something can't be a sport.

oh well, it's a debate that will go on forever.

sarebear624 sarebear624

skating is a game?

fuckoffwhore fuckoffwhore

In response to “@986831 (BreakfastFan): skating is a game?

Figure skating is a performing art, like dancing.

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

In response to “Figure skating is a performing art, like dancing.

pftt you said game :P

fuckoffwhore fuckoffwhore

In response to “pftt you said game :P

No, I said that they're called the Olympic Games. Obviously Basketball and Hockey are not just games. I'm only saying that everything in the Olympics isn't automatically a sport.

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

In response to “No, I said that they're called the Olympic...

hey! let me be a smart ****.

fuckoffwhore fuckoffwhore

What about running? It may not always have a goal or a definitive ending point, but it's still a sport...

addsername addsername

people don't realize the commitment and intensity of this sport but we work harder than most teams and for longer and we compete so i don't understand why some schools and such consider it an "activity" we're not arts and crafts dang it!!!

Anonymous

In response to “people don't realize the commitment and...

Hard work =/= Sport

BreakfastFan BreakfastFan

I suppose singing and acting are also sports?

slytherinangel slytherinangel

In response to “I suppose singing and acting are also sports?

singing and acting don't require the strength and athleticism that dancing does.

Nicole_Anonymous Nicole_Anonymous

In response to “singing and acting don't require the strength...

Dancing is an ART form. Most people do it for fun. Some people do it for competition. That's only showing that they have passion for their TALENT. Sports are when they have a rules system set up that everyone follows. Dance is determined by judges, therefore is not a sport. Too many people associate dance with being for fun and an activity for it to ever be a sport. Now gymnastics is a sport. I will agree with that.

slytherinangel slytherinangel

In response to “Dancing is an ART form. Most people do it for...

How is gymnastics a sport, but dance isn't? Heard of dance competitions?

Claudhoppers Claudhoppers

In response to “How is gymnastics a sport, but dance isn't?...

Dance is still an art form, not a sport.

slytherinangel slytherinangel

Then what's the difference, you like gymnastics better than you like dance? They both fit the same criteria, it makes no sense for you to say one is a sport and one's not.

addsername addsername

No no no, its a form of ART. If dance is considered a sport, then football should be considered an art form. I'm not saying dancing is easy, I know its not. But being physically demanding doesn't make it a sport. I mean, what's next? Is yoga a sport too?

reeree reeree

In response to “No no no, its a form of ART. If dance is...

there are no yoga competitions, at least not that I've heard of. And why can't something be an art form and a sport at the same time?
And if dance is considered a sport, no football should not be considered an art form. Art is where you express yourself. Football isn't really that expressive.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

COD should be a sport too, its really tough on your eyes

SeaNanners

a sport is defined as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
dancing requires sill and physical prowess. it's a sport.

teehee

In response to “a sport is defined as an athletic activity...

you know, when you copy from Dictionary.com you should at least credit your source.
But I totally agree.

Anonymous

For it to be a sport, there has to be a defense. You wouldn't say yoga is a sport, would you?

Anonymous

In response to “For it to be a sport, there has to be a...

Golf is a sport. Luge is a sport. Skiing is a sport. Swimming is a sport. None of those have teams or individuals directly working against each other, they're just trying to be better than everyone else.

Not arguing one way or another, just saying your point is invalid.

Anonymous

In response to “Golf is a sport. Luge is a sport. Skiing is a...

Swimming doesn't have teams? *facepalm* Have you ever heard of a relay?

reeree reeree

In response to “Swimming doesn't have teams? *facepalm* Have...

"teams or individuals directly working against each other"

i'm assuming the poster means to say that while someone is swimming a 500 free, the rest of their team isn't holding the other swimmers back and preventing them from out-swimming anyone.

sarebear624 sarebear624

You can swim without swimming on a team, and it's still a sport.

addsername addsername

I'm a dancer and even I agree that it is not a sport. There is no exact point system where if you spin and kick this long, you get so many points. It's judged and scored differently than sports. It is extremely difficult and a much better workout than most sports but that is not enough for it to qaulify as one. Just because an activity is listed under the sport category does not make it better than another activity. A lot of people claim dance is a sport because they think people will say it's less difficult if it's not considered one. Ping pong is an Olympic sport and even though it's not my place to say wether it is easier or harder than dance, the fact still stands that it is called a sport because it has an exact scoring system. Dancing is not a sport, it's something much better :P

Anonymous

In response to “I'm a dancer and even I agree that it is not...

"Dancing is not a sport, it's something much better."

My opinion exactly. Dancing is better than, harder than, more expressive than a sport. You have to rely on your own creativity and skills, rather than leaning on a set of rules to follow. The freedom, and at the same time, the dependence on one's strength and creativity and strength would overwhelm those who boast their skills in actual sports.

Anonymous

Do they sell dancing supplies at ****'s SPORTING Goods store? I think not..

SexKitten SexKitten

In response to “Do they sell dancing supplies at ****'s...

Actually.... at my local sports authority, they sell a limited selection of dance shoes.

"dancing supplies"? *facepalm*

addsername addsername

sport |spôrt|
noun
1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment : team

Competition dance is a sport.

Boufaka Boufaka

math takes a lot of hard work but it is not a sport.

Taz Taz

It's good excercise.

Erin Erin

whoever says that ballet is not a sport has obviously never tried it.

IndigoSkye IndigoSkye

In response to “whoever says that ballet is not a sport has...

Exactally!! It takes aLOT of hard work and dedication!!

dAnc3r_girl dAnc3r_girl

In response to “Exactally!! It takes aLOT of hard work and...

So does doing homework, but I don't see anyone calling that a sport.

Your_Average_Zebra Your_Average_Zebra

In response to “So does doing homework, but I don't see...

I'd like to see you try pointe then.

IndigoSkye IndigoSkye

In response to “I'd like to see you try pointe then.

I can't. I'd like to see you play disgustingly long concertos. You can't. That doesn't make playing violin a sport either.

Your_Average_Zebra Your_Average_Zebra

I think what they meant was *physical* dedication, endurance, etc.

addsername addsername

Dance is an art form. Just because dance isn't a sport doesn't mean it's easier.

RedBallerina RedBallerina

Since when are ballet and pointe two different things?

Satan Satan

In response to “Since when are ballet and pointe two...

Since you wear different shoes? It's kinda the same except pointe is harder and you dance on the very top of your toes AND you wear pointe shoes instead of flats!

dAnc3r_girl dAnc3r_girl

In response to “Since you wear different shoes? It's kinda...

Umm.. Ever go to a thing called a ballet? All the girls are on pointe. Trust me, I've danced in enough to know that

Satan Satan

In response to “Umm.. Ever go to a thing called a ballet? All...

So have I I'm a dancer!? But just bacause all the dancers in a ballet are on pointe dosent mean that ballet and pointe arent different

dAnc3r_girl dAnc3r_girl

In response to “So have I I'm a dancer!? But just bacause all...

Pointe is simply a subdivision of ballet. All pointe is ballet, but not all ballet is point. It's as simple as that.

Stepharoo Stepharoo

In response to “Pointe is simply a subdivision of ballet. All...

Yes! Thank you! Haha that is exzactally what I was trying to say

dAnc3r_girl dAnc3r_girl

Not necessarily all pointe. My dance school does jazz on pointe as well. Classical pointe is ballet.

midnightcookies midnightcookies

pointe is a FORM of ballet

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

I absolutely agree that dancing is hard, requires talent and commitment, and requires intensive training. That does not make it a sport. Besides, why does everyone insist that people recognize it as a sport? Does that change what people think of it? Does labeling it a sport make it "better" in any way?

Your_Average_Zebra Your_Average_Zebra

well, when you're a girl you are going to exaggerate. It isn't hard as they make it out to be, they are just trying to whine as much as they can to get their point across. I've done football, wrestling, and a dance instructor came to my football team for a session for fun, and it wasn't that hard. Football and wrestling take way more dedication and hard work. Dance is not a sport, nor is cheerleading.

LAKERSoverHEAT LAKERSoverHEAT

In response to “well, when you're a girl you are going to...

Oh yes it is as hard as we make it out to be!!

dAnc3r_girl dAnc3r_girl

i too have done football and wrestling and dance is far more difficult. You are constantly needing to learn new things if you want to improve (ie different forms of dance, choreo, history, flexibility, endurance etc etc). And just because a girl says dance is hard doesn't mean she is a whiney ****, coming from a male dancers perspective, dance is hard, and in my opinion harder than both wrestling and football.

Also, at the finale of So You Think You Can Dance Season 7 it was said that Gatorade now considers dance a sport because of the work we put our bodies through, and the athleticism that dancers have/require.

Anonymous

In which case you've obviously never been committed enough to reach a level of dance at which you begin serious training. For male dancers especially, training for ballet requires lots of weight lifting and endurance exercise.

And about cheerleading: Why don't we review some stats. Football players toss a 2 lb ball around. Cheerleaders toss a hundred-something lb *girl* around. If you drop the football, big whoop. If you drop another cheerleader, you're screwed. Plus, it requires elements of tumbling that are also used in gymnastics. Gymnastics is a sport, isn't it?

BaroqueKitten

In response to “In which case you've obviously never been...

You sound very stupid right now

LAKERSoverHEAT LAKERSoverHEAT

In response to “ You sound very stupid right now

Actually, BaroqueKitten's argument is pretty decent. Aside from having a stupid username.

latinforlife194

yes well you were learning elementary dance weren't you? That dance instructor wasn't teaching you advanced ballet en pointe.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

dance can be a sport if it's competitive. otherwise, i wouldn't consider it a sport. i'm a dancer, but not a competitive one, but i might loosely refer to dance as my sport. i guess my point is, it can be or can't be, and who really cares? why is this important enough to even argue about?

Anonymous

sport- an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature
going by that logic, competitve dance definitely is a sport.

Anonymous

No doubt someones already said this, but to be a sport, it must also have a set scoring system. dance has no scoring system. unless they count how many moves you do, then it's a sport.

Bigblue

In response to “No doubt someones already said this, but to...

the number of moves have nothing to do with it, it's the quality of the moves, and those definitely have a set scoring system.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

COMPETITIVE dance is definitely a sport. If its not competitive then it is not a sport. It does not matter how much "hard work" or "dedication" it takes, just dancing isn't a sport. Just face it. And whoever said cheerleading isn't a sport is insane. Cheerleading is the 3rd most dangerous SPORT in the world, has been OFFICIALLY recognized as a sport and competitive cheerleading is more physically demanding than any other sport out there and is most definitely harder than "dancing"

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

In response to “COMPETITIVE dance is definitely a sport. If...

why the sneer quotes around dancing? Cheerleading and dancing are equal in my eyes, in terms of both difficulty and danger of injury.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

Football, basketball, tennis. Those are sports. Things like ballet and ice skating are art.

Anonymous

In response to “Football, basketball, tennis. Those are...

Figure skating is in the winter olympics, so actually it is a sport; however I agree that ballet is not a sport.

RedBallerina RedBallerina

In response to “Figure skating is in the winter olympics, so...

they are called the olympic games not the olympic sports and since figure skating doesnt have and objective scoring system, its not technically a sport

Anonymous

its an insult to say its a sport. im a dancer, and i say its an art!! its prettier than a sport!!!

yoyyoyooyoyoyo

does it really matter? Different people say different things and flaming at each other isn't going to change anyone else's opinion it's just going to make everyone more deffencive

ballet_apocalypse ballet_apocalypse

Its a competition. Not a sport.

Anonymous

Okay lets end this

Websters defines a sport as such:

"A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means."

Did you see that OBJECTIVE means.
therefore dance is not a sport, not even competitive dance.

Dance does however require much commitment.

it is in now way better or worse, more difficult or easier, than any other sport, it just requires a different skill set.

Dance is a performing art.

MrMclovin MrMclovin

In response to “Okay lets end this Websters defines a sport...

but dancing is judged objectively as well as subjectively: if a move isn't completed properly or is executed sloppily then points are taken off a performance.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

In response to “but dancing is judged objectively as well as...

Yes in some aspects, it is judged objectively, but for example, when judging a routine three judges can have three completely different opinions of the performance and will be subjected to how the judges viewed the performance. Say a person does the exact same routine as someone earlier in the competition, they will get scored lower or by at least one if not all of the judges for lack of creativity or style. However in a sport, like football a wide receiver can run a route and score a touchdown. the same exact route can be run on consecutive drives scoring a touchdown and they offense will be awarded the exact same number of points because its objective. Another example is that if a two dancers perform two separate routines and one is a clearly superior routine the latter routine will be the victor. However in say, soccer one goal can be a back flip bicycle kick of a cross that completely stuns the keeper and gives them the win as time runs out, and the opposing team can score a unimpressive goal that barely beats the keeper on a penalty kick, and although the former is a clearly superior goal they both are awarded the same amount of points because Soccer is objectively scored....

MrMclovin MrMclovin

i'm a dancer and i don't think dance is a sport. i think it's an art form. just because something's physically exhausting doesn't mean it's a sport. dance doesn't have a scoring system, or an objective.

KoalaHugger_ KoalaHugger_

In response to “i'm a dancer and i don't think dance is a...

waitwaitwait...dance doesn't have an objective??? Really???? Then why do you dance at all, if you think dance doesn't have an objective?

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

I am a semi-professional ballerina... I would not call ballet a sport. Yes it is very straining and athletic. But to call it a sport would take away from the beauty of it.

Anonymous

I've been in ballet my whole life and I don't believe it's a sport. Sport requires competition and scoring. I believe competitive dance (like on a dance team) is a sport, much like competitive cheerleading.

midnightcookies midnightcookies