AllAtOncerazorsoftAgentBookwormMarthVaderrrCammiecoRetooserRacellokill_audioMegantheAcrobatmidnightcookiesDonPedroblueangel94Lupusqwerty123tomisadickLkunilovekittiesKalopsiamariyahhBlack_ShibaNARNIAtreescancatchfireJerseyNerdGeorginaliceSunniiMuffinmorethanyoudeservelilmissgigglessara24RosemaryLibbyPaigeAlivelaughlove110anfreemanCatesx22figirlmlpanda13notjustanothergirlHarenionGod_LunaLovesMeMarlinDBNOTheMidgetsestrada16white_knight_faggotdreamerKatzeTYPOAdriaJulianI_Live_Alone

ToastedStewcanadianigloos

armtheangelsJess_DohertyCheap_SunsetavadakedavraJokeridolR21sara24KhayllayAdriaLacymomomface73mlpanda13ashlaaaayMarthVaderrrshannonnnRosemaryCammiecorawrimadinosaurStacytheHarlotcjwtankGolfWangLapraseaglefan607LukeErinjojoflipperKiwimango9no_kiddingMiakenwor12goldfish123figirlWatermelonGod_AlsukeDemonturkyAgentBookwormWelovemuffinsSittinKittyCookieFan2705bruenette1296CupiditycrisscrossPearland16Daniella_CaliforniaStripedElfSocksHakunaMatataRazorbackgirl13Bun10
"This paragraph symbolizes the protagonist's desire to move on with his life, and his deep-seated fear that he will never be accepted for who he truly is." Umm, actually, I think he's just riding his bike to school... amirite?

I wonder if authors actually think all of that through, or if the symbolismsm and metaphors are just coincidental. I personally think sparknotes is bullshitting, but hey it impresses my teachers.

Anonymous

Anonymous

In response to “I wonder if authors actually think all of...

On youtube, YA fiction author John Green posted a video telling about his books and he said idealy everything in a book has some meaning to it and nothing is random. Even a character's middle name and the color of a cow had symbolic meaning. But then someone asked him about the beer can sword and he admitted some things were just random.

fangirl12 fangirl12

Damn you Thomas C. Foster!

(author of How to Read Literature Like a Professor)

shutupcinderblock shutupcinderblock

I want to be an author when I grow up, so I apologize in advance to any students who are forced to find symbolism in my books...even when I didn't indend it.

Also: My teacher is exactly like this.

random_username random_username

Im a short story author, my friend is an English teacher. He regually bullshits about these 'symbols' to his class, and it amuses me! I went to a book fair and they where interviewing authors. An English teacher stood up and went on a rant about the symbols and stuff, and the author nodded and listened, then said 'well, you can believe that, but it was not and never will be intentional.'

Anonymous

In macbeth he compares himself to a withered lear and my tutor spent twenty minutes on all the possible meanings

Anonymous

*leaf

Anonymous

This happens all the time in my English class and it's so F'ing annoying, I want to write a book and make a note how there was not meant to be any symbols or anything

Lapras Lapras

its cause life can be pretty symbolic sometimes so when you write about life...

Anonymous

I thought this was from I am the Cheese...

BronySystem BronySystem

Oh my god oh my god my LIFE

Anonymous

Continue