Add Amirite to your Browser

Microwave69Iamrite23MusicIsMySaviorButtsMa_CouerladygagamonsterJAYwalkerilikefurrywolves4815anniebananie92SobriquetnantsingonyamaDreadfulLullabyDestroyMySweaterfoolwithdreams_irod007whisperedtouchesSomebuddyalohomoramyheartriteamiMaryKirstenAnnhattrick36BuddyCakesmakeup_nerdforeveralonemaroc256ohlookitsmattlexaluffLegalAliensydnaynayx2502manBellaGrace1003HappyAsASamWynautFavvkeskellywellyamUlAnftwDementors_KisschiddybangmidnightcookiesYamiAmywaterpaynetingKoalaHugger_PenguinabbyPrincessDaisyArneGoeteynDevilishEggDaemoineSaddlesore92Canadiangirlxoxo

TaterMy_Dinosaur_LifeSherlockwhatwhatOohscarydinospeace_love_happinesssilvershadow6Exploding_Chickensswimlaxpearly_whitesrunnerdudecoolstoryPeruvianPrincessSaphiraMeandmycatBlearslyrarercheshire_catsparesecondsGolfWangFlipFlopsAndSocksGiggityGoo22StepharooGalileoalison_leeEustaceJdevine21slairahmadk19LarryHiomgeetoastkipkayifylienSexyerinliannaclareyeahithoughtsoNacklefoodleIdling_Rocket_ShipsaxybandgeekEmperorerrorSemiColinlucichcherryblasterParachuteFanDaniellypuffpleasestandbyBowtieMasterFooseysnarfalidoodle23rewindthissonghorserider56

DreadfulLullabySaddlesore92foolwithdreams_cremep0psCowboyGirlCanadiangirlxoxo
"Horseback riding is NOT a sport." You wanna jump 6 foot fences and say that again? amirite?

but... you DON'T jump 6 foot fences... the horse does...

Oohscarydinos

Oohscarydinos

In response to “but... you DON'T jump 6 foot fences... the...

Have you ever been horseback riding?

MusicIsMySavior MusicIsMySavior

my words exactly

Kate Kate

horseback riding is a sport... just like NASCAR.

Anonymous

So, when cars race, you don't go 200 mph the car does. Idiot

Anonymous

Well ur right but on the other hand can u stay on a green horse bucking and rearing who is 10 times your size and still make them look good. How much muscle I takes to stay on a horse bucking or jumping I mean It is NOT easy. Even if you have ridden a horse was it a young horse or have you ever been on a horse galloping at a solid 4 foot jump with no turning back? well yah theres my thoughts on that. If you truly wanna know if its a sport take some lessons...

Anonymous

that is literally too stupd to insult

Anonymous

It does make your sore to ride horses, but to be frank, I'm getting tired of the "__ IS a sport because __!!!"-type posts. We get it, what you do is hard, but you'll never convince everyone so just enjoy the shit you do and stop worrying about other people's opinions of it.

Illusions or Allu...

In response to “It does make your sore to ride horses, but to...

agreed, people need to stop worrying about other peoples opinions. If you enjoy horseback riding like i do than you shouldn't care if others think its a sport or not its their own personal opinion and they have the right to have it.

Anonymous

totally true if you enjoy riding horses like me...you kind of get annoyed by "horse riding isnt a sport" but get over it, if some people dont enjoy horses as much as you, it is their loss, but you shouldnt worry about those haters...

Anonymous

Uhm... well the horse jumps the fences. Yes, you have to guide it/clench your legs, whatever. But no. It's not a sport. It can be judged, it's a competition but not a sport. I mean all you honestly have to do is guide it and clench your legs. If horseback riding is a sport we could start a leg clenching league and call it a sport. Yes I've ridden a horse before, however no jumps and other things.

Tater Tater

In response to “Uhm... well the horse jumps the fences. Yes...

To be frank, clenching your legs is the exact opposite of what your legs are doing. Would you people please try jumping like that before you say it doesn't take any effort? Jumping is a freaking workout.

JAYwalker JAYwalker

First of all, you don't clench your legs. Maybe you should do a little research before posting next time? Yes, the horse does the jumping, but that horse is 1500 pounds with a mind of its own. If it doesn't want to jump, or canter, or even have you on it's back, it wont, and you'll be on the ground. Why does something being judged make it not a sport or competition? If you have a good performance you'll get good scores and place well. If you don't, then you won't place well. Judges are not going to give you bad scores on a good performance, or vice versa. So yes, Horseback riding is a sport.

Erin

In response to “First of all, you don't clench your legs...

Wanna not comment on posts from over two months ago? It's a competition because it's competitive--- but there's not straight point system like "goals" or "scores". It's all dependent on the judges. An OPINION. Real sports don't have opinions, it's the straight score, or no score.

Tater Tater

In response to “Wanna not comment on posts from over two...

Well I'm **** commenting on a post that's a year+ old.
Go suck on that you ignorant pleb.

Also, f you've never jumped, how do you know that you have to do? Even reading magazines doesn't compare.

poppy poppy

Who says people can't comment on old posts?...

Anonymous

Not to get into this, but your competition argument isn't valid. Gymnastics is competitive, and it is judged, but it is definitely a real sport.

BowBowBow BowBowBow

Oh, and also, it's in the Olympics. Sooo...it is indeed a sport.

BowBowBow BowBowBow

In response to “Oh, and also, it's in the Olympics. Sooo...it...

The Olympics are known as the "Olympic Games", so it doesn't necessarily make something in it a sport.
I'm not choosing sides in this argument, since I do think the whole "[Blank] is a sport because [blank]" argument is kind of annoying. Things can be difficult and not be sports, but whatever. I'm staying out of it.

Stepharoo Stepharoo

In response to “The Olympics are known as the "Olympic...

Yes it does. While it is called the Olympic Games, it still is a major sports competition.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games

BowBowBow BowBowBow

Well that doesn't seem like a fair generalization. All forms of gymnastics are judge based for scores and you'd definitely be wrong in trying to say gymnastics isn't a sport.

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

By your logic, chess is a sport. I'm sure we can all agree that it isn't.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

Shows how much you know. Barrel racing, horse racing, camp drafting ect are NOT based on opinions, they are based on times. SPORT.

Btw, clenching your legs is NOT something any good rider aims for. That means that your seat is not independent, not that you would understand how hard it is to have an independent seat. .

Megan

Seriously? Clenching your legs? Have you ever jumped?
Or really ridden? Equestrianism is a sport. Do you know what equestrians do? Let me give you the rundown.
Keeping a good position, heels down, back straight, elbows in, eyes up. Giving trot/canter cues, exact time, combining leg/hand/seat aids, correct lead, changing leads, posting on correct diagonal, adding strides, taking strides, shortening strides, lengthening strides, leg yields, half halts, two point, giving rein, taking rein, adding leg on inside, adding leg on outside, shifting weight, piaffe, passage, jump cue, hand gallop, canter pirouette, all while keeping horse calm and confident, keeping yourself balanced, not falling or making a single mistake, and making it look effortless. Also, most horse sports are based off of rules for scoring, not opinions. Like show jumping. You knock a rail, 4 faults. You go over time, 4 faults for each second. That goes for everyone.
It is a sport.

Anonymous

Omg r u 4 real. If u have never even got on a horse then how could u say stuff about this. I bet u r 2 scared 2 get on a horse. I'm 12 I've been riding 4 6 years I eat like crazy and I'm under weight bc I ride 6 or 7 days I week. If u say it's not then will u get up on a horse and try to even trot if u just say trot it will just stand there and not move.i want 2 c u get up on a horse and clench ur leg and watch the horse run off with u on it bucking c how long u last

Anonymous

Think Horseback Riding Isn’t A Sport?
You Lift Weights; I Lift Water-buckets & Hay-bales
You Run 1 Mile, I Ride 10
Your Work With A Team, I Work With An 1200 lbs. Animal Who Doesn’t Understand English (Unless It’s Food)
You Have 4 Quarters (2 Halves) To Show What You Go, I Have 2 Minutes
You Fall Down A Couple Inches, I Fall Down About 5 Feet
Your Sport Is One Season, Mine Is All Year
Who’s the Athlete Now?
This Is A Sport! Why Do You Think It's In The Olymipcs?

Anonymous

stop hatin carry on with your own pathetic life which it truely is if your gonna hate on other people.....just because you cant ride a horse properly( because you dont actaully clench your legs) doesnt give you the right to say horse riding isnt a sport...specailly cus youve most likely never ridden like real horse riders... o ya why dont you try galloping bareback......

Anonymous

You have no idea what of a complement you just gave us. We try our hardest to make it look easy, like we are just passengers and we try to make it look like we don't have to work hard, as apposed to other "athletes"....

HorseRider94

actually, i have. the horse does almost all of the work.

Oohscarydinos

In response to “actually, i have. the horse does almost all...

Either you didn't do it properly or you aren't experienced enough to actually do anything.

JAYwalker JAYwalker

You probably rode a very nice little horse or pony that did all the work. A lot of lesson horses just do whatever you tell them, or they already know the drill and do it automatically. But you should try riding a horse that tests you... I'm guessing you haven't since you think the horses do most of the work. Sure, they do a good amount of work, but so does the rider.

MusicIsMySavior MusicIsMySavior

People these days, LMFAO! in soccer, you chase a ball into a net with your feet. In football you grab at other guys to throw a dumb ball into a goal.... In baseball you get a bat and try and hit a ball with it and see how far it goes. In horseback riding your riding an animal thats 10x your size over objects and around them at top speeds, using every muscle you have to keep them on the right tract.. You ever done toopoint? guess not. it takes so many muscles to get it right. we dont practise one day a week. We practise every day until we get it exactly right and then we practise some more. You have seasons in your sports? we ride in the bitter cold to keep up with what we do. Changing leads? galloping in fields? Its not all about the riding either.... training a horse? ever done that!? NOPE! takes way more time and energy then buying a new ball or bat. you think your a athlete? Why dont you think again.

Anonymous

I'm not saying the rider does NO work. But it must be a hell of a lot harder to carry around a 100- 150 pound person on your back and jump 6 foot fences than to sit on something that jumps fences.

Oohscarydinos

In response to “I'm not saying the rider does NO work. But it...

That's like saying that because hurdles require you to run AND jump, that running or jumping alone is not a sport. Just because what the horse does is harder than what we do, it doesn't make what we do less difficult.

Megan

In response to “That's like saying that because hurdles...

No, that's like saying that if you get a piggy-back ride on someone who's running and jumping hurdles, and you have to tell them when to jump, that it is a sport.

ThisMightBeMe

i think you are forgetting that the horse can pull over 1000 pounds of weight.

Anonymous

(Oohscarydinos) I'm really not saying that the rider does EVERYTHING, but horses are really strong, remember they used to pull carriages back then? I don't think a 100-150lbs person would make a huge difference, depending on the horses size.

Microwave69 Microwave69 OP

(Tater): Who cares if Erin commented two months after? You didn't have to reply or read it at all. It's also not the judges 'OPINION'. They score you on your posture and how well you can control your horse and how well you execute the course. It's not their opinion on how well you did, they know how well you did because they are professionals at this and they would know if you messed up.

Microwave69 Microwave69 OP

you know horse riding is the most dangerous sport in the world, right?

Melanie

Its legally a sport its in Olympics!! So Hop off ;)!

Anonymous

The horse does all the work??? let me see u get on a green horse and have him do straight up dressage! Show me a first time rider gallop bareback and stay on! Tell me a person isn't sore as all hell after riding for hours! What olympic rider hasn't trained for years to even get there? I don't care if u ridden or not, going out to ur friends stables and geting on their horse DOES NOT prove anything. Just becuse u rode a horse last year at the fair does not men ur suddenly an expert! It is a certified legal sport. Thats the only reason its even allowed in the olmypics.

Taylor

In response to “The horse does all the work??? let me see u...

I don't know why you would enter a green horse in a dressage competition, though... That's just foolish.

Sobriquet Sobriquet

As long as poker and snooker are counted as sports, I think it's safe to say riding is a sport. Just FYI - I have ridden since I was three and have been breaking in horses for over a year now. If you have that much experience under your belt and have put hundreds of hours into making a horse understand what you want from it, then by all means, you have the knowledge to form an opinion. Also, horse riding is the most dangerous sport in the world (apart from motor sports).

One last thing: if you could sit ONE buck, I would be impressed. Imagine how difficult it is to stay on a horse who is going to town trying to get you off him (and how much it can hurt when you don't succeed), yet a good rider can normally do that. It's not something that comes without skill and I imagine that you could barely get a green broke horse to walk, or to stop without causing issues. It's not as simple as boot them in the ribs to go, or yank their mouth to stop.

Megan

Sorry but if you can't even trot by yourself on a real horse (not pony) you absoulotly have NO right to say that horseback riding is not a sport.Many have ended up on wheel chairs from the effect of horse riding.Many can not ever ride again from an riding injury.I have ridden from when I was 4 years old now I am 11 years of age, and I have seen on my own eyes lots and lots of people from my riding school end up in hospitals with a spine injury. I diid not say this to frighten you of horses or horseback riding, but when you are not responseble this may have happen.And horse riding is in the Olipmics, and you don't just sit there and as you said "chluthing on with your legs" and "controling them" you have to also whatch where your going and heels down toes facing twards the horse (which hurwhen you first try it)and more more things.

Sara

are you **** joking Tater? the horse does all the work??? do you realise the hours, the weeks, the months even YEARS it takes to get a horse TO jump a 6 foot fence? i don't know about you but I've never seen or heard about a horse jumping 6 foot fences in the wild. Not only do we have to get the horses fit enough to jump, we have to create at least some sort of bond with them so they'll actually jump it. we don't just get on them and jump them. and clenching our legs? haha oh please, thats not how it works. you have to use your legs, not by clenching, but by light 'pushes i guess' against the horse to ad in the steering, speed and tempo, we have to use our seat to aid in controlling the horses speed and tempo, the reins to aid in steering and remain completely calm, relaxed AND look good doing all this. when jumping your constantly changing your speed and direction to match the course, you have to let the horse know he can trust you so he'll do what you've actually told him to do. if he doesn't want you there on his back or near him,BELIEVE ME you'll know about it. and don't even get me started on the amount of training YOU have to do to be fit enough to do this.

Daina

Some anons are really mad...

Exploding_Chickens Exploding_Chickens

It's not a traditional sport because it is judged and the horse does all the work. If you want to refer to it as a sport because it's a "game", sure. But, it doesn't compare to hockey, soccer, football, racing, etc that have a clear winner, regardless of judgment, and are humans against other humans

swimlax swimlax

In response to “It's not a traditional sport because it is...

please read this in a non angry tone of voice, i'm not trying to start an argument

i assume from what you are saying that you are just talking about dressage, as horse racing and jumping both have objective winners.

do you think diving and gymnastics sports then? because there is no clear winner then, it's just judgement. since when is that the definition of a sport anyway?

here's a definition that i just found:
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

i'm pretty sure horse riding fits all those criteria.

yes, the horse is the one running and jumping, but the rider is telling it to do those things, and it takes a considerable amount of skill and you have to be physically fit to be able to control a horse at a competitive level. the horse certainly doesn't do all the work, horse riding can be exhausting. if you are just a passenger then you're doing it wrong.

therefore, in my opinion, horse riding is a sport.

cool

In response to “please read this in a non angry tone of...

No, I don't consider diving and gymnastics "sports", as in competitive activities. I consider them "games", or "sports" as in the definition used before modern competitions and professional leagues. They are not on the same level of physical activity as hockey, football, soccer, and other professional sports.

swimlax swimlax

In response to “No, I don't consider diving and gymnastics...

You don't consider Gymnastics a sport? Really? It fits every definition and characteristic so I can't see how you'd argue that. Considering it needs much more physical prowess than the 'normal' sports anyways

Anonymous

In response to “You don't consider Gymnastics a sport?...

I do believe it takes more physical capability, but by my standards, something that can be so easily influenced by a judge is not a sport, but a judged competition. In my last sentence, I was referring to diving and horseback riding because I do know how much physical activity gymnastics is

swimlax swimlax

In response to “I do believe it takes more physical...

I don't think you know much about the judging and sport though. In trampoline and tumbling there are 8 judges per routine. The highest and lowest score is dropped to give the most probable average, any judges score that differs from the rest by more than half a point is disqualified for the routine. It takes 22 weeks and 350 supervised hours to become a provincial level judge. Measures are taken so that no one judge has any influence and so that the athlete who is the best truly is portrayed as the best. Athletes get together to show their routines and determine who is deserving of first place based on skill, strength, and prowess. In football the ref makes judgment on plays to determine whether their good and within the rules or not. He can accept or deny a challenged play. In that sense he determines the score. I don't see how one can be denied as a sport because it has a human factor to the scoring and not the other.

Anonymous

In response to “I don't think you know much about the judging...

Still, the simple fact that the winner can not always be clear without a judge makes it more of an activity and not really a competitive sport, anyone can make anything competitive. The referees are constantly being checked by others in the booth or other refs, and they cannot give a team more points. If it's not one team against another (or person against another, as in golf or running) in a points contest where the only person who can give them points is themselves, I don't think it's a sport, in the modern sense of the word.

swimlax swimlax

In response to “Still, the simple fact that the winner can...

Your logic seems very opinionated? In the literal meaning of the word it is a sport. I don't know where your getting that an activity with a judge can't be a sport. "Sport: is all forms of competitive physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants. Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals." what part of that disqualifies gymnastics?

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

In response to “Your logic seems very opinionated? In the...

My whole point is that, in my opinion, horseback riding and other judged activities are not on the same level as hockey, lacrosse, etc. They are merely an athletic pageant

swimlax swimlax

In response to “My whole point is that, in my opinion...

The thing is I agree with you for horse back riding. It needs skill but not nearly the physical prowess of other sports. It is a bit of a pageant for the spectators. But I think that's what makes it not quite a sport, not the judges. I don't see how you could watch the flips and routines gymnasts do through 4 hours of practice a day 50 or so weeks a year and say 'it's not a sport though, it's a pageant with athleticism.' the ref in football judges 'the ball didn't quite cross the line, no 6 points' the judge in gymnastics judges 'your legs weren't quite strait enough in that skill, no 9 points out of 10'

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

In response to “The thing is I agree with you for horse back...

But it's clear whether or not the ball crosses the line

swimlax swimlax

In response to “But it's clear whether or not the ball...

But sometimes its not? Sometimes it's reviewed on video and the ref has to judge with the other refs what the call should be. Happens even more in hockey with determining if it was a goal or if goalie had possession, it was kicked etc. It's just weird to think that something that's technically an extreme sport could be considered merely a pageant because the officials are different

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

In response to “But sometimes its not? Sometimes it's...

But something happened, and the officials report that. It's not opinion.

swimlax swimlax

In response to “But something happened, and the officials...

Yes, just like the gymnast points her toes, and the judge reports that. It's not an opinion it's what the judge is trained to see. When a crowd at a football team boos the ref and asks If he needs glasses their mocking him because they don't think he made the right call, because his opinion was different from theirs and that changes the game

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

In response to “Yes, just like the gymnast points her toes...

No, they just didn't see what the ref saw. And in gymnastics, it's called "judge" for a reason.

swimlax swimlax

In response to “No, they just didn't see what the ref saw...

So your argument for why gymnastics is not a sport is because they call their sport officials 'judges' instead of 'referees'? I guess were gonna have to agree to disagree on that one

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

In response to “So your argument for why gymnastics is not a...

OK, that's what I think will have to happen with these "x IS a sport" debates because it's really a matter of opinion.

swimlax swimlax

In response to “OK, that's what I think will have to happen...

Haha actually I disagree with that. I just accept your opinion for why

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

gymnastis requires way more physical activity than hockey, football, and soccer comgined

Anonymous

in soccer, there are referee's, what do you think they do. they have to call a foul in there own opinion.

Anonymous

Personally I consider a sport to be the basics ( football, soccer, basketball, etc.) But that's just me. I appreciate the amout of work any physical activity takes. I'm a dancer but I still don't consider it a 'sport' per se. I actually don't know what I would call it. But I know a lot of other dancers do, so to each his own I guess.

StacytheHarlot StacytheHarlot

I'm not saying that horseback riding isn't hard. It takes skill, time, and practice just like any other sport. But again, the horse is doing the running. I don't consider NASCAR a sport (not to compare a horse to a car, horse riding takes more physical endurance I know) even though it takes just as much time and practice. It's not a test of YOUR strength or YOUR speed. It only tests your skill and I guess your endurance to maintain proper posture on the horse, but other things (like NASCAR or chess) are competitive, difficult, and take a great deal of time and practice without a major physical element, and those aren't (and shouldn't be) considered sports.

Anonymous

Yeah, professional horseback riding is a biiiit different from a one-off daytrip at a horse shelter. It really does wear people out, especially the legs and back. It is a sport because any competitive physical activity is a sport really; even golf's a sport and that isn't exactly energetic. That said, this argument is silly because you aren't the one jumping 6 ft, the horse is.

Chou

I already do. It's called high jump.

Jdevine21

In response to “I already do. It's called high jump.

so who trained the horse to do that?
i bet it wasnt you

Anonymous

Your argument makes about as much sense as Darth Vader running a marathon with Santa Claus underwater.

Jdevine21

I thought the horse is the one who jumps..

Anonymous

parallel parking a horse is not a sport. Given the world record for human high jump is 8 foot 6 foot sounds plausible.

won't come as a shock that all those in favour of parallel horse parking as a sport were duds at real sport that require a combination of elite fitness, strength, power, speed etc

no doubt it's difficult and takes hours to get good at... but that doesn't make it a sport

Anonymous

Horse back riding is definitely a sport!!! I have NOOOO clue where you got your info from, but it is clearly WRONG!!!! Horse back riding is hard and we do not just sit there clenching our legs and the horse just magically does everything. So. Not. True. we have to be in tune with the horse because if we are not, we end up in very sticky situations. you have to have REALLY STRONG LEGS to stay in the saddle while racing over jumps at a near gallop. And abs too because you need upper body strength to keep your position correct.

Show jumping and cross country ect. are not judged they are determined using a scoring system, you obviously do not understand it so i will explain

-If the horse knocks down a rail, 4 faults'
- If the horse refuses a jump, 4 faults'
-if the horse or rider falls, elimination
-It is timed, usually the horse/rider combo with the lowest time and 0 faults wins.

Horse back riding looks very easy when you are watching it on a screen on a couch with your family sized bag of chips, but we always have to be allert and we have to really urge the horse to listen.

Horse back riding is a sport. You go jump a five foot oxer with a 4'' spread, stay on, then decide.

Brynne

um you try controling a 1,000- 2,000 pound anumal with only your hands, feet, and voice! Equtation is very difficult, keeping your neck, spine ,and legs virtually in a strait line while riding atop the animal. Also, you have to have mad back, abb, and legs muscle in order to ride correctly, you dont just sit there, or you fall. Plus its in the olympics and in adition to that it has the W.E.G ( basically another Olypmics just for herse
back riding)! so thank you.

Anonymous

ping pong is in the olympics and that isn't a physical sport. honestly i would love to see some of the horseback riders i know just try and run for an extended amount of time they're so out of shape. I'm sick of hearing them complain about their #horsegirlproblems because suck it up you're sitting on the horse and it jumps. I'm a 3 sport athlete paling soccer basketball and lacrosse and the amount of conditioning i go through would have them in cardiac arrest. so for all of you riders who think you're in shape from sitting on a horse try running 5 miles a day. oh and by the way its animal abuse in my book to force horses to jump and run if they don't want to. thank you xoxo

Anonymous

In response to “ping pong is in the olympics and that isn't a...

I play basketball too and horseback riding is far more hard, and your parents made you clean your room when you didn't want to.

Anonymous

you have no clue how wrong you are. I am the fastest on my soccer team from riding ALONE, and all the other players run to stay in shape and to be faster, but riding is still a better workout. I bet you are just jealous of our skill, power, strength, courage, grace, beauty, perseverance, sensitivity, relationship, and trust. We are the true athletes.

HorseRider94

# HORSEGIRLPROBS i have BLOODY SCARS from riding and got a concussion from riding
its not animal abuse these horse are willing to do anything to please thier owner THEY ARE THE BEST ANIMAL HANDS DOWN

Anonymous

If you just "clench your legs" on my horse, you would be dead. No joke.
It's not just get on kick him and say giddy up! And lead him to the jump.
You could injure or maybe even kill yourself or the horse. Many people at my barn have quit becaus it is too hard.
If you REALLY rode a horse, not just a "pony ride"
You would wonder why gymnastics are a sport. Let me tell you, I have been dragged and stepped on and flipped over the horses head with just ONE false move, it's the truly good riders that make it look so effortless.

Anonymous

Good Gravy, y'all should calm down a bit.
Why should it even matter?
In my opinion... Yes, horse riding is a sport & it's called Equestrianism. I cannot tell you how many times I've come in sweating and red-faced after a hard lesson. The funny thing is though... equestrianism is not just about the practicing. Yes, we do practice for hours on end, and yes we do sweat. A lot. Our muscles (esp. back, abs, and thigh muscles) are worked like crazy. But, the work isn't over when you jump the last fence in the course, no. The work never ends. It ranges from bathing your horse to mucking out stalls-- now that is hard work. I can guarantee that after spending hours in a hot, muggy box stall using a pitchfork to scoop up ****...you'll be sweaty and exhausted. & yes I do consider all of that part of the sport.

Anonymous

The definition of sport from dictionary.com reads: "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature."
Equestrianism covers all of these requirements quite wholly. We as riders are quite athletic. Our timing is impeccable and our balance must be astounding. Any slight shift of weight and a well trained horse can take that as a signal, for example, a lead change. Horses are also able to sense their rider's nerves. We as riders, have to keep our nerves out of mind. If we panic, our horse panics. Not meaning to bash swimmers...but if you get nervous, the pool isn't gonna react to that. So, for skill...I say it takes quite an amount of skill to memorize courses, keep down your nerves, stay balanced exactly where you need to be, give cues, and the many others things we have to do..simultaneously. As for physical prowess... trust me, after an intense lesson, you'll be aching in muscles you didn't even know existed. We may not be body builders, but we do work out a lot of different muscles at every lesson we attend. & finally... Obviously, equestrianism is a competitive sport...

Anonymous

In response to “The definition of sport from dictionary.com...

It doesn't matter if you train every waking minute of your life, I'm pretty sure it is more difficult than most real sports, but at the end it is the horses physical prowess and willingness to do the tricks that make this an animal competition like all the rest. You are just a glorified animal trainer like those dog shows. In all other sports it is the humans strength, training, dexterity, strategy, and many other human physical attributes that solely determine if you win. If all athletes where to use the same bow, ball, weights, track, etc the winner would be determined by his/her abilities surpassing those of others(more or less on sized items). You obviously can't all use the same horse since it is a conscious self aware creature who can make choices despite being trained so maybe a legitimate sport might be mechanical bull riding since then you guys can compete strictly on your abilities and not the horses.

Anonymous

I'm not gonna say riding it the most extreme and hard sport. Its not but it is most definitely one! You can't say riders just sit there because what about in a netball team? Each player contributes to the team in a different way. Most teams would fall apart with a language barrier like we have with horses so its pretty amazing really.

Anonymous

It's not a sport! Sport is being physical and mental coordination. Maybe if you fight among each other over a ball while on a horse I'll consider it a sport. Otherwise, it not a sport. BUT it is a sport.....for the ->HORSE<-

Anonymous

i think it is a sport, riding is physical and mental. we have to remember every thing we have to do all in a split second while going over a jump, heels down, look up, get into 2 point, dont get to close to the jump, (or you could hurt your horse and yourself). theres a lot more but, i dont want to bother explaining the rest to somebody thats not gonna listen

Anonymous

ok to all of you peoples who think it's not a sport here is life through a riders eyes:40mph is slow,6 feet in the air is nothing,controlling 1200 lbs or more with just your hands,legs,and seat is simple.
if you think it's easy tell me when the last time yo got on a horse and your muscles weren't screaming was.here are some things equestians have to remember when they are riding:heels down,irons on the balls of your feet,sit deep in the saddle,toes turned in,hands down,and tons more

Anonymous

Okay, so most of you have obviously NEVER rode like i have. I have to run 8 miles 5 times a week. I have played soccer, basketball, track, and lacrosse, and BY FAR horseback riding is WAAAYYY harder than all of them combined. I honestly thought I was in really good shape, and then i started horseback riding, in 5 months i lost 20 pounds because of horseback riding. My horse would literally kill you if you tryed to "clench your legs" while riding her. You wouldn't even be able to comment on this anymore if you tryed. Yeah it is really hard, and very physically challenging, but i love it.

Anonymous

okay, when you say "you don't jump the 6 foot fences, the horse does" you just made a fool of yourself. in NASCAR you don't go at however many miles the car goes to win, the car does. idiots

Anonymous

for all those that say horseback riding is not a sport, lemme give you the definition of it.
Horseback riding: the SPORT of sitting on the back of a horse while controlling its movements.

Anonymous

If horse riding isn't a sport than why is it in the olympics

Jillycupcakewin

so skiing isn't a sport because the mountain does all the work.
and being a pilot isn't a job because the plane does all the work.
football, soccer, baseball etc aren't sports because the ball does all the work.
then riding isn't a sport because the horse does all the work.

In ball games, all you have to do is control a ball.

In riding, all you have to do is control 1400 pounds of animal with your hand and leg.

You ball players live in a different world. A ball can not refuse to roll forward, but a horse can. A ball is hardly 1400 pounds of heart, muscle, and brain. You communicate to your teammate with words or sign language, we cannot. A teammate can cover your mistakes, but if we mess up, it could mean the death of 2 beings. Most people would never trust a horse to carry them successfully over a jump, and ball players would never trust their balls to do that for them.

Tell me if you still think riding is not a sport.

HorseRider94

THIS IS RIDICULOUS
we have to get up on a 1200 lbs horse that can easily kill us and we have to communicate without words with this animal. HAHAHAHA btw id like to see you try to ride a horse. Have you ever expirenced what's it like to ride a horse. I HAVE BLOODY SCARS ON MY KNEES FROM RIDING. you think we equestrains dont get hurt with this sport. HA how would you feel if a 1200 lbs animal fell on top of you and shattered your leg no so fun is it? one wrong kick with you leg and wrong signal could be a big mistake. FYI these horses arent bomb proof. jumping is not all you do with a horse without guifding this horse, you wouldn't even make it up a jump.
YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HORSES AND ARE ACCUSING US WHEN... WHAT DO U KNOW ABOUT HORSE BACK RIDING?!?!

Anonymous

To the people that dont believe its a sport; have you ever been on a horse? A real hunter or jumper? Not a freaking 16 yr old pony ride horse a real sport horse? Have you ever been flung 10ft in the air, hit the ground then want to get back on? Have you ever risked your life for a sport? Have you ever flewn straight towards a 4ft wooden/metal jump that probobly ways more than you? Ill tell you it doesn't feel like landing on clouds when you fall off and hit one of those things. Have you ever trusted something so unpredictable? Sonething with a mind if its own? We're not talking about the petty ponies jumping cross rails, were talking about 1000lbs animals jumping 10 4ft HARD fences in under a minute. This animal could potentially kill you any time it pleases just my stepping on you. So tell me have you ever communicated with a giant using only body language and a bit of leather? What sport do you play, huh? Softball? Basketball? Next time you play one of those sports and your ball flings you to the ground then you can talk to me.

Amanda02k29

horse back riding, is a very tough sport. you have to be able to fall off your horse, and still get right back up. and if it was not a sport, then why is it in the Olympics??
(angry)(angry)

hugoloveshorses

GUESS WHAT ITS IN THE F**KING OLYMPICS I JUST PROVED EVERY ONE WONG and foot ball is not a sport its not in the olympic games

Equestrian_forever11

U are doing this to piss people off well guess what if u think everything isn't a sport well good for you bc obously ur a 2 year old and u think the word don't exist

Anonymous

Well hey there dummy! Do you mind telling me what sport you play? Soccer, baseball, football, golf, basketball, gymnastics, surfing, or track maybe! Awh how cute are you! Yes, I do ride horses and trust me Ive played just about every other sport out there! And yes, horse back riding is harder than every single one! Us equestrians jump fences that are well above our own heads, fall from 5 or more ft above the ground, and control a HORSE, yes a HORSE with our skinny little legs! Wanna know why they are skinny little legs? Well, go ahead and read the sentence two sentences ago! And what are most football players? Oh right, big and chunky! Wonder why? The Olympics is for sports you know! And guess what! SHOW JUMPING IS IN THE OLYMPICS! And last time I checked, a baseball didn't weigh 1,000 pounds and have a mind of its own! And a basketball doesnt buck you off is you touch it wrong! For every one mile you run, I post (which means going up and down while the horse trots) 10! If you trip while playing tennis, ya you fall a few inches and get a little boo boo. I fall over 5 ft from a moving animal and break bones and bruise myself EVERYWHERE! In soccer you can just holler over to your teammate telling them to move back. We have to communicate with an animal that doesnt speak our language EVERYDAY! Have you every tried holding a jumping position for 5 minutes strait! I bet if you tried you would fall off! And i read that earlier you said you rode horses before! Well im glad to know you went on a one mile trail ride with a guide and that you were riding an old, BOMBPROOF horse! Well duh do you think that sitting on a horses back makes up the hole equestrian sport? OF COURCE NOT IDIOT! WE TROT, CANTER, AND GALLOP BAREBACK! YES BAREBACK! NOT ON A WESTERN SADDLE HOLDING ONTO THE HORN FOR DEAR LIFE! There is so much more to say but since you are dumb enough to think horse back riding isnt a sport, you clearly are stupid and probably cant read!

(backoff)" target="_blank" title="http://www.google.com/search?q=horseback+riding+fall&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=p2RMU9nsE-yuyAHlpYCoBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1314&bih=821#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=I38_PZ6rVgnV4M%253A%3BNleg_Tl5uh8UzM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.huffpost.com%252Fgadgets%252Fslideshows%252F1306%252Fslide_1306_19249_large.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%252F2009%252F04%252F02%252Fterrifying-horse-and-ride_n_182371.html%3B550%3B400(backoff)(backoff)" rel="nofollow">http://www.google.com/search?q=...koff)(backoff)

horserider1212

Continue