Ram27WaitForItLittleRedNeverShoutNatashaSobriquetxxirishwristwatchxxBreakfastFanAvettbrothersaregodsOxoCubeMhmmmTheThinktressDracoirismae516matilcurtreddeadLiloquandRainbow35FlyingPandasuperkeeliniemann2006StaceysDadraazedKk15anbrightInsanePPGJennitaliapokerface111Moonfang66anelletheladyofthelakeBiteMeDefyingravityCrackTheShuttersMontezumawittynamehereMissAutumnFalllucichbforbananalittletankswimlaxExcuseMyCharismajourney_loverbanana9matt320aquagal1017SatanBossmanEstoniaObsessedMalmoHappy

DanielJamesmark_soulsisterenderBardagiloraCsupercalifragilisticshmadAlexus

niemann2006wittynamehereIEatRiceMhmmmDemonturkyKoalaHugger_hotwiredTARDISduhkilluh
When you were a kid, you didn't learn English with charts and a textbook. You didn't know how to say "Science class is at 11:32," before knowing how to say "car". The way foreign languages are taught seems really inefficient compared to how quickly babies learn a language, amirite?

they need to have classes for foreign languages in elementary school instead of high school, and or continue them throughout the years

wittynamehere wittynamehere

Or, more accurately, "The class of science is at the point of 11:32."

Sobriquet

Acquisition of a first language is genetically-triggered at the most critical stage of cognitive development. The difficulty of learning a second language is not HOW it is taught, it's WHEN.

DanielJames DanielJames

In response to “Acquisition of a first language is...

I was going to say something along the same lines. The change in the human brain from age 3 to age 15 is enormous, and there's no way a second language can be acquired in the same way.

(Translation: Rosetta Stone's marketing ploy = lies)

Apple_Pie Apple_Pie

In response to “I was going to say something along the same...

My sister speaks fluent spansh now thanks to Rosetta Stone. It's not lies at all.

HopeImrite HopeImrite

In response to “My sister speaks fluent spansh now thanks to...

Don't get me wrong-- I didn't say Rosetta Stone is useless or ineffective. I just meant that that whole, "learn a language the same way you learned your native language" marketing tactic is, well, wrong.

Apple_Pie Apple_Pie

In response to “Don't get me wrong-- I didn't say Rosetta...

Thats what they say now? The last ad I saw for them was that they can help you actually think in the language. I'm sorry, Ive never seen them say it like how you say they are now, my bad

HopeImrite HopeImrite

Yeah, and also when you learn your first language you hear it everywhere: on television, from those around you like your family, and eventually at school. When you learn a language at school you only hear it in that class basically so it's normal to learn the basics first, even though it's true it does seem inefficient as after years of learning a language at school you're still not very good at it lol. And what you learn in class won't help you much when you go to that country haha.

anneso53 anneso53

Some people would disagree, though, and have claimed to pick up an entire language just by immersion or even just by watching TV (which sounds ridiculously boring to me) as adults.

duckshirt duckshirt

Is it? Babies take several years to learn the language with many hours of exposure per day, and even then they have pretty limited understanding and vocabulary... compare that to an hour or so a day for a few years in school and getting pretty good if you're motivated. I'm not saying natural methods of communication rather than grammar tables aren't better, because they are, taking advantage of the language you already know speeds things up a lot more than learning as a little kid would.

duckshirt duckshirt

wittynamehere wittynamehere

In response to “they need to have classes for foreign...

At my school, there are three separate buildings on the same campus- lower school (PK-4th), middle school (5th-8th), and highschool (9th-12th). We start learning foreign languages in Kindergarten.

Rainboots Rainboots

In response to “At my school, there are three separate...

I wish thats how my schools were :P

wittynamehere wittynamehere

I started foreign languages in 7th grade but I agree , they should be started earlier than that

Idling_Rocket_Ship Idling_Rocket_Ship

Yeah, I take Spanish now, but when I took Latin we learned stuff like "Cornelia climbs the tree to escape the wolf" and "Marcus then scares the wolf away" because it went with the Latin story that we followed. After two years of taking the language I finally learned how to say "Hello". Ridiculous, amirite?

Learning Spanish was much different, but you get my point about the Latin.

Anonymous