dickymyheartsonthestageAlmostAlwaysRightWeDoTooHaveHeartsGolfWangacornsrockkenzawinsalexwingrove158AmarayyyRebeccalovestoastAtheisticMysticXhollyXroseXEriRainJohnsonPeppergirl14MayaarmtheangelsSquaffleMusicIsAGiftHMDuckypeace_love_happinessStatefarmKirstenAnnginnypotter93JokerI_Predict_A_RiotSanctuaryExileemilysoccer2TrishPedo_CatEbony_WayMarySobriquetbangsParrocchettox2502manriteamiGiggityGoo22Izzie_23maryisriteWinniethePoohPerfectly_imperfectHectic_Glowsilvershadow6peacelovehappinesslucichohlookitsmattslairScottyDBaconnoisseurChell

el_scorchoSeniorDSam1721canadianspungeSergLamb_of_God

Nobody :(
Saying that people who are 12 and under shouldn't be on the internet at all is stupid. While there are some websites they shouldn't be on like **** and social networking, they need the internet for homework and stuff like that, plus there are websites designed for people 12 and under, amirite?

I dont even care about the homework argument. there are websites like club penguine and barbie and shit for them. and If youre using a website that youre constantly bothered by 12 year olds, what does that say about your own maturity

dicky

dicky

In response to “I dont even care about the homework argument...

yeah but what about when 12 year olds go on a website that used to be mature and they make it immature?

Anonymous

In response to “yeah but what about when 12 year olds go on a...

i doubt that many 12 year olds would go on to change it, but if they did, i suppose you just ban them from the internet!

dicky

usually that doesn't happen. like amirite for example, there are many 12 year olds on this site, but not enough to overrun it.

anon

There are 12 year olds on here? Well they must be some pretty cool 12 year olds because I never noticed...

Sobriquet

Obviously we are talking about the real internet, not neopets.

Anonymous

I think social networking like Facebook is okay because you don't have to add them and they'll probably stick to their twelve year old friends.
Websites like Amirite tend to have a more mature audience, so unless they're also mature (because it is possible), they shouldn't be on here.

Statefarm

Well, yeah we all hate them and whatever, but by going on the Internet and whatnot is kinda in a weird way how they learn about computers. I mean don't take this wrong, but if they didn't know how to navigate their way around we'd end up with a whole lot of computer stupid ninnies /:l

What I mean is, playing neopets as a kid helps you figure out exploration capabilities because you eventually recognize the awesome from the stupid, the same works for twelve year olds and whatever websites they use

Anonymous

In response to “Well, yeah we all hate them and whatever, but...

I don't know what they mean by exploration capabilities but neopets did teach me HTML and CSS and coding.

Maya Maya

OP must be 12 and have no idea what this is.

WolfeDeWary WolfeDeWary

I still go on Club Penguin from time to time, and whenever I go on I tell myself I have no life.

CcRrAaZzYy CcRrAaZzYy

In response to “I still go on Club Penguin from time to time...

You are not alone.

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

I go on on a nearly daily basis. That's just because I have no friends though.

Anonymous

Everyone on this post makes me feel bad about still getting on Neopets...

pikabeau pikabeau

I don't think 12-year-olds ought to need the internet for homework... I'm not saying they don't, I just don't think the teachers should require the internet too often. 12 seems a little young to need resources that can't be found in print at the library.

partinobodycular partinobodycular

In response to “I don't think 12-year-olds ought to need the...

I wrote my first research paper when I was twelve. **** please.

Anonymous

@partinobodycular, please oh please oh please tell me you aren't serious. I wrote my first research paper when I was 8. It was about JK Rowling, and if I hadn't had the internet it would've been very very difficult. Not to mention what books I did use, I used to internet to look up.

I've been using the internet for homework help since second or third grade, and that was before there were laptops for every kid in the classroom (that sounded very back-in-my-day-ish, sorry). Especially since so many things depend on the internet now, it's just stupid to not have kids learn to use it early.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

I'm quite serious. I don't know how old you are, so I don't know if there was a lot of information available offline about JK Rowling at that time. That's fine. But kids should not learn to be dependent on the internet. They should be able to get most, if not all, of the information they need in books or from someone else.

partinobodycular partinobodycular

I don't recall if I used a lot of books or not. But what I did use, it was found using Google and the library's online database.
Kids shouldn't learn to be dependent on the internet, you're completely right. It's happened to too many people already. But kids should also learn to use their resources, and the internet is definitely a resource.

Also, 12 years old doesn't really qualify as "kid" *in this particular situation.* 12 years old is seventh grade. The initial distancing you seem to be talking about would be better applied to kids under 9 years or so, I think, because by the time someone reaches seventh grade they had better have learned to use the internet by then.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

You're right, they should know how to use the internet. Maybe I remember wrong, or maybe seventh grade has changed since my time, but I don't remember doing a lot of homework that required something other than my textbooks. It happened, of course, but only a few times in the year. So yeah, a few assignments should involve the internet, especially for research. I was picturing seventh graders using the internet for all or most of their homework, every night, which I think would be too much.

partinobodycular partinobodycular

And considering that life is starting to revolve around computers, I think it's very important that kids at least learn how to navigate. I started using the interne fairly young, and now I can type almost 100 words a minute!

broadwaygleek broadwaygleek