Mod Team

SOFTBALL8Blearslyrarerdistorted_realityHahaFAILSuperTrooperJankofettsoccergurrl9livefreelampsarehilariouskenzawinsMarblezoneEyesMhmmmRunyZeerustMagicalMuggleCassa1NinjaAssassinJennlovesmcrmrslautner27DijanaZmiroTYPOPhilAndromedaThat_Tall_ChikSpainDelightful_DolphinZanyZee123CadywompusPsychoticShatteredDreamsairohpueEncore93hjoscene_Kidd12i_draw_thingsWritingislife16Super_Freak13evan123deeviantMike_Hawksilvershadow6hello__emilySpanishGirlRockEmptyMelodiessheetaluStarlight_dragonHoudinisPrestigeiceeselenawizmirandaamiriteDevilishEgg

HopeImriteAetherityAntiJokeChickenCodaySquaffleAverageSlytherinHorseboatCatbaanedJonesyfrogy8theflyCaerwynMyHotHotJamReginaFilangeSarcasm_on_icemaumauamy_riteLegit_LatinSergPenguinsFlymashHectic_GlowGolfWangSpearmintMilkJulessparesecondsrilaraxxnkatxxkipkayifyArnoldVanDerWaltgbgkgdgfuRangaaa_____beckaleckylauren4004

EmperorerroraussiePsychoticevan123
Smokers: Don't call me rude when I cough when I walk by you. You're the one polluting the world and everything in it, amirite?

If you were in a confined area that is okay hut if your walking by just hold your breathe. Different strokes for different folks.

Jonesy Jonesy

In response to “If you were in a confined area that is okay...

Sometimes holding your *breath isn't always the answer. The smoke still travels into your nostrils and the next time you breathe you take it in. I would know, I'm extremely allergic to smoke.

jacque95655

In response to “Sometimes holding your *breath isn't always...

And coughing at them would convey this message? As you walk by, a cough will tell them "Hey, Im really allergic to that. Please stop". Either way its rude. Just tell them your condition if its necessary.

Jonesy Jonesy

In response to “And coughing at them would convey this...

I'm not gonna tell some random person I'm allergic. Simply, the war between non-smokers and smokers will never be won. So I say let the smokers be coughed at and let the non-smokers suffer.

jacque95655

In response to “I'm not gonna tell some random person I'm...

Why does there need to be a war. Just walk away from them. Thats like if someone has peanut allergies and they chocked at someone eating a PB&J. You know your condition and can easily walk away instead of getting close enough to cough at them.

Jonesy Jonesy

In response to “Why does there need to be a war. Just walk...

That's what I'm saying. Even though I know my ailment I still walk through it and cough if I need to or move away if I feel like it. And there doesn't need to be a war but unfortunately that's how it is. It's like the whole pro-life pro-choice thing, or gay marriage, everyone has their opinion and thy all want to be right. So I say let no one be right.

jacque95655

In response to “That's what I'm saying. Even though I know my...

Or rather let everyone be right in their own respects. Same thing but a bit more optimistic sounding.

Jonesy Jonesy

If you walk by me, I'm already standing here. You saw me. You could have stepped a foot or two over and not even been caught in the smoke. Let's stop treating smokers like immoral bastards, because it's really getting old. I have my reasons for smoking and the bottom line is I am aware it's not healthy but it helps with some emotional issues I have. If I'm a **** for trying to prevent panic attacks I don't even know how to reason with you people.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “If you walk by me, I'm already standing here...

Too bad. Stop smoking now. Nobody cares if you have reasons that aren't being an immoral ****. Stop it.

Caerwyn Caerwyn

In response to “Too bad. Stop smoking now. Nobody cares if...

I would rather have a higher quality of life, which, ironically I'm aware, smoking provides. When I don't smoke I have a serious increase in panic attacks. I know the panic attacks have a root cause that needs to be addressed, but at the moment therapy is not within my budget and government assisted therapy wasn't enough. So I can choose either a, smoke and have significantly less panic attacks with the health risks of smoking or b, not smoke and be so anxiety ridden it too affects my health, and on top of that, my relationships and daily function. It's a matter of choosing the less of two evils.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “I would rather have a higher quality of life...

Before I respond, I'd like to make sure you knew I was joking.
Seriously though? That must suck. I can't stand the taste of cigarettes.

Caerwyn Caerwyn

In response to “Before I respond, I'd like to make sure you...

I was aware, I just wanted to clarify.

Seriously. When I was in therapy, I gave my reasoning to my therapist and he approved. When I have a lot of panic attacks my sleep cycle gets even more **** (I'm an insomniac to begin with) and my immune system is absolutely trashed. I end up sleep deprived, sick all the time, and depressed because I can't function, I have mood swings and have serious issues with relationships because of all of it. When my panic attacks are at bay, I can function. Smoking is not a cure all for it, but it seriously helps keep them down. Smoking combined with other things (breathing exercises, low impact work outs, etc) helps in a way that isn't comparable to anything else I have tried to keep them down. And I have tried everything at this point.

Wanna know something funny? I smoke and yet I cannot stand the smell of smoke when I'm not smoking. Being a smoker I understand completely lol and I'm not about to complain about it but I don't like it either.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

Exactly!!! The people around you get SICK because of your selfish reasons. Have you ever thought OTHER people will get sick from your smoke? I certainly don't want to have tar in my stomach.

Anonymous

In response to “Exactly!!! The people around you get SICK...

People like you kinda deserve it.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

I don't really think it's possible to avoid the smoke without crossing the street, especially if it's windy. I suppose you can tell people to deal with it, but you can't realistically expect them to avoid an airborne irritant that you are constantly pumping out. Besides, you accept all the shit that comes with being a smoker. It's no secret that people **** at smokers, so don't complain when they do.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “I don't really think it's possible to avoid...

In my state, you can't legally smoke indoors anywhere beside a hookah bar. If you smoke in your own home, it's damaging to the walls/furniture, and even if you found a place to legally smoke inside or did it in your house, people will still frown upon you not doing it outdoors. But when you're outdoors, people will still ****. There's no way to make everyone happy.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “In my state, you can't legally smoke indoors...

But you should be aware of that, and take that in to consideration when you make a decision. Have you tried chewing tobacco or nicotine patches? Pretty much the same thing, sans the bitching.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “But you should be aware of that, and take...

I'm aware of it. If they have the right to ****, I have the right to be annoyed. But I'm not about to go and yell back at them.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

GTFO. You should seriously solve it.Doesnt matter about YOUR problems. what about people with ALLERGIES?!!?! God. You'll never understand.

Anonymous

In response to “GTFO. You should seriously solve it.Doesnt...

Suddenly people with allergies can't see? If you're allergic to smoke the best thing would be to avoid it.
Someone allergic to chocolate isn't going walk down the street, spot someone eating chocolate, and go up to them and take a bite.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

OK, "coughing when you walk buy". You don't really have to cough. You're just doing that to be obnoxious, and to make a statement about how smoking is "wrong" in your opinion. I can choose to smoke if I want, and the pollution from smoking is really nothing. Cars pollute, do you **** cough at drivers everytime they drive by, and bang on their windows telling them that "they are polluting the environment?" Cars aren't good for you either, you could get into a car accident and die! Do you feel the need to REMIND DRIVERS OF THIS? No. SMFH.

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

In response to “OK, "coughing when you walk buy". You...

Sometimes if the smoke is blown right into my face I can't help coughing, it's not like I do it on purpose.

Anonymous

In response to “Sometimes if the smoke is blown right into my...

if you legitimately need to cough, im not stopping you. i know ppl who walk by with the most obnoxious, obviously fake cough. THAT is what pisses me off.

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

Car smoke contains carbon and some very dilute irritants at best. Cigarette smoke, Ben second hand, still contains nicotine, tar, hydrogen cyanide and arsenic compounds in addition to car smoke stuff.

B10ckH34d B10ckH34d

In response to “Car smoke contains carbon and some very...

well, she said "polluting the world". Not "creating second hand smoke".
Second-hand smoke is an entire other issue. But the exposure of second-hand smoke one gets simply by walking by someone who is smoking is extremely minimal

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

In response to “well, she said "polluting the world"...

It's still worse than car smoke. And it is the only pollutant made by cigarettes.

B10ckH34d B10ckH34d

In response to “It's still worse than car smoke. And it is...

"it is the only pollutant made by cigarettes"
(lolwut) what does that even mean?

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

In response to “"it is the only pollutant made by...

Other than the butt, whic is supposed to be thrown in the trash, second hand smoke is the only way cigarettes pollute the environment, so the post is talking about it.

B10ckH34d B10ckH34d

In response to “Other than the butt, whic is supposed to be...

i always throw my butts in the trash

and second-hand smoke is what people inhale. side effects include "victims" bitching about how bad second hand smoke is.

cars POLLUTE the environment way more than cigarettes do. Its a fact.

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

In response to “i always throw my butts in the trash and...

Yes they do. And Thai uou for not littering. But second hand smoke is more harmful to people than cr smoke because f all the biological irritants, toxins and pollutants. Car harm mostly the environment u there engines work properly. Wih catalytic converters, there are also less nitrogenous oxides and carbon monoxide.

B10ckH34d B10ckH34d

In response to “Yes they do. And Thai uou for not littering...

environment, car is more harmful.
second hand smoke is only harmful if you are constantly around smokers, and dont just walk by.
and the ****? what does Thai have to do with anything i've never been to Thailand ?

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

In response to “environment, car is more harmful. second hand...

I corrected it to thank you.

And smoke accumulates, much like the arsenic it contains. So inhaling 24 hours of smoke in one day is just as haemful (though more addictive) than inhaling it over 24 years.

B10ckH34d B10ckH34d

Some people have Ashma or are allergic.

MIDNIGHTANGEL MIDNIGHTANGEL

In response to “Some people have Ashma or are allergic.

then they can walk on by...

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

In response to “then they can walk on by...

Most of the time, it is not that simple. They can try to hold their breath or take a large circular path around the smoker, but it still irritates their lungs, just to a lesser extent so they still cough. Also, when someone coughs because of smoke, it doesn't just go away once they are out of the perimeter of the smoker. You can say they should avoid areas where situations like these might happen, but in front of pretty much every enterence of a public place or parking lot, there are people smoking. They can't just stay cooped up at home all day, avoiding the outside world. Hmm, perhapse I only have this opinion because my views are biased. If one person is allergic to peanuts, I get really defensive about my right to eat peanuts. Maybe i'm a hypocrite, but that's my opinion.

MIDNIGHTANGEL MIDNIGHTANGEL

In response to “Most of the time, it is not that simple...

if i had a smoke allergy or asthma that severe, and i saw a person or group of people smoking cigarettes on a street corner, i'd cross the street. Just like someone with nut allergies may not want to go into a store that has buckets of peanuts.

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

Ashma sounds like a type of smoke.

maumau maumau

I won't call you rude. I just call you a ****.

HopeImrite HopeImrite

If the cough is intentional, fake, and intended to be a rude gesture, then that's just **** up. Leave smokers alone. And OP should realize that if someone is intending to be rude, they are allowing themselves to be called out on it. Smokers know what they got themselves into, they don't need some prat to point it out.

maumau maumau

Anonymous

In response to “You suck.

Funny thing is, I don't even smoke.

maumau maumau

I'm not going to lie and say I've never smoked to try to prove my argument, but I've honestly smoked twice in my entire life. Now that that's out of the way:
You had me till the second sentence. I wouldn't blame people who cough because of smoke. It's a natural mechanism, but seriously. Do you think they're smoking JUST TO BE A JERK? NO! It is an addiction.
Believe it or not, the world does not revolve around you. People do not do things to either help or hurt you.
I'll happily defend the smokers outside or as far as possible away from non-smokers. I won't defend those who smoke directly in front of someone when there's obviously a designated area. Those are the smokers I considered jerks.

Celestialjess

If everyone would realize the effect their actions had on other people this whole issue could be solved.

Non-Smokers: when you hate, people get sad.

Smokers: Maybe stay in a designated place for smoking?

AquariusSpring

In response to “If everyone would realize the effect their...

Your reasoning is fine but there aren't always designated places.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

I don't see why I should have to hold my breath or cross the street just to avoid a smoker. I think if you're leaning up against a wall (or whatever) smoking and someone is passing by right in front of you it wouldn't hurt to just stop smoking for a second and let that person by. Honestly the only reason I really have a problem with smokers is because I have asthma and it irks me that like "hey buddy I didn't have a choice in how my lungs turned out but you do" and they're letting it go to waste.. (I would love to be able to make it through singing a whole Barbra Streisand song but I can't and so I am a bitter, angry little girl with a grudge against smokers)

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

In response to “I don't see why I should have to hold my...

Smokers don't see why they can't have a break in peace.

maumau maumau

Why should a person stop smoking to let someone walk by ? If you don't like the smell of smoke avoid the smoker (assuming they were there first). Smokers are people too and shouldn't have to displace themselves, (especially) for someone who thinks they are a waste of lungs

maumau maumau

If you saw a couple arguing by a wall, you'd probably go around them if you didn't want to be in near proximity. Because they were there first and you're the one that has a problem with what's going on, it's your job to take the initiative to avoid it. It's not their job to stop doing something that could possibly make you uncomfortable when you were the one who brought yourself in contact with the situation.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “If you saw a couple arguing by a wall, you'd...

See..the reason that comparison doesn't work for me is because that couple isn't putting my health at risk as apposed to the smoker in the situation..well, assuming one of them (the couple) isn't batshit crazy and punches me in the face for no reason as I walk by them.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

In response to “See..the reason that comparison doesn't work...

If you see a smoker and walk around, it's not putting your health at risk. If you see a couple arguing and you walk around, you won't get punched in the face.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “If you see a smoker and walk around, it's not...

But i'm not walking around them in that situation. I'm crossing the street to walk in the same direction I could have if I had stayed where I was before. Look, i'm not asking them to move but I'm not moving either. Just saying, if I was a smoker and I was taking a break i'd avoid streets that I knew would be busy and people would be walking by me.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

You are RIGHT!!!

Anonymous

In response to “You are RIGHT!!!

It's my opinion...can't really be right. or wrong for the matter.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

Oh and TheBroadwayAudition has asthma and therefore anything they have to say towards smokers is biased.

maumau maumau

In response to “Oh and TheBroadwayAudition has asthma and...

Was that necessary? Like..really. I'm judging them unfairly because I have asthma? Okay.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

Ps. Did you just favorite your own comment??? Just curious.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

In response to “Ps. Did you just favorite your own comment???...

Of course I did ! I want to look back at this and laugh at how snide I am being.

maumau maumau

I fully AGREE with you. Can't they have another addiction? ****.

Anonymous

In response to “I fully AGREE with you. Can't they have...

Wow now...don't assume smokers are ****. I never said that pal and you shouldn't think that way. Hey, Maumau this (anons comment) is what biased is.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

So you want them to put out their cigarette for every person that walks by? Or just stop inhaling and exhaling the smoke? Because for the former, they just wasted money on one person and the latter, there'll still be smoke.

Celestialjess

In response to “So you want them to put out their cigarette...

I'd really hope that if someone who was smoking put out their cigarette for someone who walked by and let's say that number got up to like 5 people who have walked by (and 5 cigarettes) since then they'd think "ya know what..maybe this isn't the best spot to take a smoking break." But no, I don't expect them to put a cigarette out for every person that walks by if that's what you're asking.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

I would like to say I do try to not smoke at the moment someone is passing me. If kids are around I will purposefully walk to where the smoke cannot reach them. If they come closer, I move further away. Depending on the people around me, if I know they don't like smoke I will walk away from them as well, and have warned parents in a public setting that I will smoke and if they need me to do it out of sight of their children I would be willing to do that. I don't know why people act like if you smoke you must menacingly stand somewhere and just wait for people to come strolling by so you can blow smoke directly at them. I do try to be polite about it. If you expect us to move, you should be understanding that we expect you to do the same thing. There aren't exactly set rules about that kind of stuff. But the easiest thing for you to do would be walk around, because it would honestly take less time to do that than a confrontation.
I have had more personal experiences alone with nonsmokers being absolute **** about it than I have ever seen or heard of a smoker doing something rude. Hate rude people, fine. But don't assume every smoker is automatically rude.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “I would like to say I do try to not smoke at...

I agree with you they shouldn't have to move but neither should I. As a sign of respect for others I think if someone is walking by a smoker if they just stopped long enough the person to get by without getting smoke blown in their face it'd all be good. I appreciate what you do but I never said smokers were rude.

TheBroadwayAudition TheBroadwayAudition

I've never heard a smoker call someone rude for coughing. In a lot of cases, I've seen smokers put out their cigarettes if kindly asked to do so. The people who blow smoke in other people's faces are just **** to begin with. It has nothing to do with them being smokers.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

The only time it really bothers me is when people smoke in areas that are CLEARLY non-smoking.

LittleRed LittleRed

I made this post like a year ago. I don't agree with it at all. I must have been one rude **** a year ago...

Hectic_Glow Hectic_Glow OP

Anonymous

In response to “I made this post like a year ago. I don't...

Maybe you were just having a bad day.
(hug)

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

Well...as far as rudeness goes, I think that coughing on purpose is a lithe rude, IMHO. But if it's accidental, then it just proves the point.

Anonymous