DragoniteFreeMustacheRidesheirofslytherinGraverottiadiosToreadorHonouRebelMinteeNeverForgetToRememberHutchIsItBetterYetPinkSpongePurpleZebraLalaLoopsieCynicallyInsanebananamoxxxxxxrandomizedsonickemetI_Predict_A_Riotzsmith4246lovemrhatandclogsKristenTheGrammaratorKatOwnsYourSoulpeace_love_happinessAmazingWingedGirlToastedStewx22epicisawesomefulTheMaineDestineeopen_mind_open_soulCyanideBearannierrw070193alltellHullabalooadmiralpantsFailAtLifeawesomesocksHannahFOObabyj3llomas3r21Super_Freak13bagel_like_a_rossmadib528491lgreenbergreereesincerelykatnellewsrockstarrukia

k516LolitabubblydanilolunicornjumperFunnyplantssilvershadow6Northerner_ehDanniDolphinjilliebeanbroGussy_ManloveannehunteraudMr_SuperfluousjaydakinsssSpearmintMilkalyrawrrloraCJoshPetticrewNeshyTdotJdotVitaeConnorNoonanTooSweet4YouCourage_WolfTotsalots

FulloShiteIm_so_bored_so_byeHonouRebelToasterToastsToastOhKayTeaPiperRunystephheartloves24Jane_Doe
Your first birthday is really your second birthday, because the day you were born was your first, amirite?

See, the French have got it right. The word for your birthday in French is "anniversaire" so it's the anniversary of your birthday; e.g., onzième anniversaire = eleventh [anniversary of your] birthday. But saying "Happy 1st Anniversary of your Birthday!" in English is somewhat of a mouthful. :P

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

In response to “See, the French have got it right. The word...

I'm part french, and I never thought of it like that.So technically my sweet 16 is when I'm 15, right?

Montana Montana OP

In response to “I'm part french, and I never thought of it...

No, you're still 16 years old. When you're born, you're 0 years old, but it's your 1st birthday technically. So your sweet sixteen is your 17th birthday. I think...

The complications really arise when you're considering what the definition of "birthday" is English is. Dictionary.com lists birthday as both "the anniversary of a birth" and "the day of a person's birth." How confusing...

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

In response to “No, you're still 16 years old. When you're...

You know what? Pretty much just scratch everything I previously said. I think this is what it is: you have ONE birthday; that is, your day of birth. But you can have MULTIPLE birthdays; that is, the anniversaries of your birth. When we celebrate someone's 1st birthday, we're using the "anniversary of your birth" definition of the word. So I think the way we have it currently is correct. I'll still keep my vote as "Yeah You Are!" since I think it's clever. (yum)

FreeMustacheRides FreeMustacheRides

In response to “You know what? Pretty much just scratch...

That was on Azumanga Daioh xD

"How many birth days does the average person have?" "Uhm... 65?" "No, they can have many birthdays, but only one birth day!"

/my most weeaboo comment from the day I registered

Alexus Alexus

In Afrikaans it's 'verjaarsdag' which basically translates to your 'aging a year day'. In English it sounds right if you say you're celebrating your birthday though.

Deathelf Deathelf

Wouldn't we be even OLDER if you count that our heartbeat begins 7 weeks in the womb? :)

alienator alienator

In response to “Wouldn't we be even OLDER if you count that...

Well you weren't born yet...

Funnyplants Funnyplants

In response to “Well you weren't born yet...

Yes, but age-wise. We'd be months older.

alienator alienator

In response to “Yes, but age-wise. We'd be months older.

Yeah but where does the post talk about that? It talks about birthdays

Funnyplants Funnyplants

In response to “Yeah but where does the post talk about that?...

I wasn't speaking directly about the post itself. My comment was a follow-up thought I had. I really don't know how to explain it, but I wasn't talking about the post.

alienator alienator

koreans got it right.

chuype

No, that would cause the same problems as the starting in year 1 instead of year 0

Creed

Not to mention, even on your birthday you're a year and a day old. You would be exactly a year old the day before your birthday as you just lived through every day of the year just once.

Your+name+(optional)

it's celebrating your first whole year of life

softball_lover4 softball_lover4

The Japanese do it this way, too.

DontJudge

it almost seems like you should celebrate your first birthday three months after being born, if you were born at nine months. That way, you'd have been "alive" for one year by then. The problem is finding out the actual conception day...

Kateisme Kateisme

In response to “it almost seems like you should celebrate...

I can just see that. Instead of singing "Happy Birthday" people would be singing "Happy day that your parents ** without a **."

ActionMan

In response to “I can just see that. Instead of singing...

Maybe they were catholics and don't believe in contraception...

Kateisme Kateisme

What do you call the day you were born? Your birthday correct? (You only have one birthday unless you believe you have lived before, then you could have many birthdays.)

So now a year later you need to come up a number that represents your age. The day after your birthday you are not one. You are older than one. You didn't turn one on the day a year after your 1st birthday you completed one year and now you turn two. So why do people say the baby just turned one?

Iwasnever0