Mod Team

Miss_Courage_WolfNj513Dreamer4eversonickemeteastcoastUnicornsBeatrixNemesisSmartSpoonMrRitesammylacoemadibscene_Kidd12MIDNIGHTANGELFrosimeaniguess916KirstenAnncarousel182StickCavemanScottyDHullabaloopikabeauProphetK_SteezyLilblair16radgrlgoodtimebrunetterox915BlucattboogierStatefarmOozyRatTurtleRoseWinsSpallistonLogancherryblasterjustfuckmeupAMurderousCuddlebudymiddleseisMayaWhoopieGoldbergcoletteLinksLegionaireAdonisBatheushmarierowannefieldhockeychick77GiggityGoo22GolfWanggene

MorningCadencesTYPOSpearmintMilkKristenguineasaurusrexWinniethePoohsb123FaithfulMagestic_mermanfieldhockeygirlSuperSukhpantherfanaticRacelloPerfectly_imperfectWynautTweetbaby14RangaaaPiperDiscordBlake11roys

lilobama
When you seriously consider the possibility that there's no afterlife, that after we die we just become nonexistent, life suddenly seems much more valuable, amirite?

The beauty of being an atheist.

yesnomaybe yesnomaybe

Or much less significant cause there are no consequences.

POOPMAN POOPMAN

In response to “Or much less significant cause there are no...

Life is insignificant.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

There aren't consequences in life anymore? Sweet.

Suzywao Suzywao

I don't need to fear a boogie monster to do right. I do it because to do wrong makes me sad

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

The beauty of being an atheist.

yesnomaybe yesnomaybe

In response to “The beauty of being an atheist.

But you could also look at it as "I fear death and nothingness. I really do wish there was something after death. Oh well. :/"

I'm not looking for a debate.

mchalla3 mchalla3

Why would you? That's the wrong attitude towards death, most atheists don't feel this way, otherwise they would believe in a god for comfort silly =p

yesnomaybe yesnomaybe

OH. But then there's always the depressed athiest outlook, where one realizes that God doesn't exist, yet is slightly depressed, wanting to believe in an afterlife, but knowing that logically it doesn't work.

mchalla3 mchalla3

Do I want to believe in one? Yes, a magical place where everything is good. However, I logically understand one most likely does not exist (atheist view not flame war). I would rather have it, but I find it sometimes more encouraging knowing I dont have my fate set out for me by some higher being with 2 options, heaven or hell. I take my fate into MY hands, no one decides anything for me. I hope this makes this... I think I rambled.

yesnomaybe yesnomaybe

No, you made a lot of sense. I also take comfort in the same things that you do, however I think death is terrifying. I guess the fact that I have barely had a taste of life probably contributes to it.

mchalla3 mchalla3

If you all end up dying anyways, with no recollection of what happened in your life, what is the point of ever having lived at all? Why live life if everything you have ever done you won't remember or know happened, you won't be able to think once you're gone, so why bother living until you die naturally, either way you end up the same; dead and incapable of thought.

TheTall123 TheTall123

In response to “If you all end up dying anyways, with no...

this is why you should enjoy every moment of your life if it is possible.

lilobama lilobama

But why, you won't remember you enjoyed it once its over

TheTall123 TheTall123

but even if everything you do becomes insignificant after you die, when you are alive you should enjoy yourself instead of living a dull life. even if you won't remember it, it is still much more enjoyable in the moment. even if it all becomes insignificant, you atleast had that one fun moment which enriched you for that moment.

lilobama lilobama

That is quite a selfish way if thinking, EnriqueTheDino. Consider this, is the act of participating in a war meaningless if the participant dies on the battle field and dies not get the chance to enjoy the fruits of his/her efforts? The answer is no because even if it doesn't matter to the combatant who has died, his/her actions impact the future of his/her nation. The partipation of every single combatant affects the rise ir fall of his/her country, even if minutely.
Similarly, having lived and died affects the generations yet to come. The true meaning of our lives is in the future of our species for after all, survival and propogation is all that matters, isn't it?
In any event, as Albert Camus would say, “there is no more meaning in death than there is in life." So why bother changing your state of being forcefully and making the effort? You are alive now, so live.

lana lana

But what does it matter if other people are happy with their lives as well? they're just going to die too, end up the same as you do, in the end everyone goes nowhere, so why bother to go anywhere?

TheTall123 TheTall123

The point is that there is no point in any of it. But propagation is required of us by our genes. And we are alive already, we may as well make the best of it to make propagation more efficient.
You should really check out some if Camus' works. He deals with the issue of the absurdity of life brilliantly. Sartre might be a bit much for you (unless you are playing the devil's advocate) but Camus would be just right.

lana lana

I'm not playing devils advocate, like it's how i just believe, like i feel if you aren't HAPPY a majority of your life, it's not worth living, because really a majority of it won't even matter, like being content isn't enough, I don't feel strongly enough about it to ever kill myself however, but its just my belief

TheTall123 TheTall123

Just because something is not meaningful after it is over, it is not necessarily devoid of joy. Although I know that my life will hold no meaning for me once I am dead (because I am dead and can not give a rat's **** as I do not exist anymore), I still am happy with my life. It is like eating ice while in a very comfortable temperature. It is nice and cold and fun to eat but holds no meaning once you are done eating it as it will neither quench your thirst nor provide you with energy.

lana lana

This post is one of my worst fears. I feel like there has to be an afterlife, but scientifically, it is impossible. it doesn't help that i am an atheist, so i have no Idea what will happen to me after i die.

lilobama lilobama

In response to “This post is one of my worst fears. I feel...

I was afraid of dying for a long time, since I do not believe in the afterlife. I'm not sure if this will help you, but the logic in it helped me a lot.

"If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?"

I think a lot of the fear around death is in the thinking that you will be able to perceive what is happening, but you will not. After you are dead you will not be in pain, you will not be afraid, you won't have time to think "oh shit, I'm dead, this is awful, I've left so many things unsaid." You will just cease to be, that's it.

Suzywao Suzywao

that took me awhile to wrap my mind around what you said, but what you said actually helped me get over my fear a little bit. pretty much if nothing exists after death, it doesn't matter cuz you won't be there to care, so screw it

lilobama lilobama

How is afterlife scientifically impossible?

Quentin Quentin

its a hypothetical situation. we said "if it is impossible"

lilobama lilobama

i know i am spamming the comments, but here is an interesting article
http://science.howstuffworks.co...fter-death.htm

lilobama lilobama

In response to “i know i am spamming the comments, but here...

I really like this. And though I may be playing a bias roll as an aspiring Physicist, I don't believe Neurology alone will be able to solve the Out Of Body experiences. I've pretty much always felt this was better explained through the Quantum world. From all of the stories I've heard many of them sound a lot like what I've imagined the 4th dimension to be like. Many people would describe such experiences as metaphysical but I don't think so. I see it as extremely physical.

This is assuming of course that it absolutely can't be solved by Neurology. I've mentioned it before on this site and I will again. DMT could be at play here. While most people tend to see me strangely when I say this, I truly want to see if there is a connection between DMT and Physics. It's one of the things I want to study and if it weren't illegal I would base my doctoral thesis on it. The fact that DMT is found EVERYWHERE in living nature is amazing. And how similar its effects are to what both out of body and 4th dimensional reality might possibly be like, I would love to test to see if there is a connection.

Scientist Scientist

what is DMT? you have me really interested.

lilobama lilobama

DMT is a naturally occurring substance found everywhere in nature. It is produced in our brains every night when we sleep and is what causes us to dream. It can be found in many plants, extracted, and then smoked or used in tea. It is the most powerful hallucinogenic substance on the planet. Many of it's users claim to experience contact with a Creator giving it the nick name "The Spirit Molecule". The effects last for about 5-30 minutes depending on the dose however if drank the effects last about 4 hours. They are also so strong that unlike other hallucinogens the location of where you take it does not matter. Users will often have what they consider out of body experiences though they don't see themselves. Usually what is seen is something like this. http://ctrlv.in/99753 But also many people have very vivid hallucinations. Many users have claimed the feeling of being in a tunnel (light at the end of the tunnel ) My theory is that what these people are experiencing is in fact quite real. That DMT allows us to access parts of our mind we don't normally use. This may sound crazy but think about the light spectrum. http://ctrlv.in/111147

Scientist Scientist

Look at how much information our brain is taking in that we can't perceive. Can't even begin to imagine. It's like a blind person trying to figure out what Red looks like. Now when you bring the Quantum world in we begin to see that alternate universes do exist and that there are probably 11 Dimensions. The 4 we know (3 Spatial and 1 Time; although we should view time as a 4th spatial dimension.) Now when you throw in the combination of DMT which may allow us to perceive some of these other dimensions or at least parts of our current dimensions we normally don't perceive, along with the acceptance that particles can be in multiple places at the same time, I see it as entirely possible that the experience had would be explained as an out of body experience. It would not be one of any metaphysical sense but it would certainly be tough for anyone to explain it otherwise.

Of course this is all in theory and it is something I hope to experiment with later in life. However I've never strived to answer the Out of Body Experience questions. One of my biggest questions has always been "What is conciousness." But I may just bring this in to my experiments as well.

Scientist Scientist

I know this all sounds crazy but it makes sense to me. If anyone sees any direct flaws in this please tell me. I would be more than happy to revise or even throw out the theory if it is absolute bonkers.

Scientist Scientist

it doesn't sound crazy, it was really interesting, i understood all of that up there. and the way you phrased it, it makes sense

lilobama lilobama

Wow! Thanks! Unless that was sarcasm. (I also just realised that that is the first time I've ever told anyone that much of my theory and also the first time I've ever written it out.)

Scientist Scientist

wasn't sarcasm. you explained it really well. I also wonder daily about other dimensions, and try to comprehend what they would be like, but it is almost impossible for someone who is not born with the ability to experience those dimensions to comprehend them, just how you said it would be hard to describe the color red to a blind person, but i never thought of out of body experiences to be physical experiences, but how you explained it makes it sound probable.

lilobama lilobama

I know I'm commenting on a very long thread, but I wanted to reply to your first article. There isn't much confusion about NDE's as it indicates.

http://near-death.com/experiences/triggers06.html

That article is about studies done in centrifuges, where many pilots who lost consciousness experienced NDE's, including out of body experiences, lights at the end of tunnels, etc.

Turns out that when the human brain suddenly loses a lot of blood, we hallucinate a shitload.

Suzywao Suzywao

That was quite an excellent theory. Just for clarification though, are you claiming that the DMT molecule would exist inultiple places in its entirety ( which is not possible ) or would it just be the subatomic and quantum particles constituting the molecule?

lana lana

I'm not sure I fully understood your question so I'm going to further explain mine. (Like I said this is a very strange theory and I'm completely open to having it be disproven.)
What I'm saying is the DMT is what allow us to preceive these experiences while still in our "lower state". I'm saying that what these experiences that people have are actually happening all of the time but we simply don't process it. It happens because of the Quantum world but the use of DMT allows us to preceive it.

Scientist Scientist

Oh. Okay. It makes perfect sense now. I had interpreted it in completely opposite way of what you were saying for saying. But I don't think that quantum mechanics need to included to explain our partial perception of the world. But the theory makes sense nonetheless.

lana lana

I started to notice that after I submitted the comment. As I said this was the first time I've ever really spoken of the theory and so it did have rough edges. I've got about 6 years before I start working on my Doctoral thesis which is what I hope to turn this in to. So I've got time to smooth it out, come up with experiments and so on.

Scientist Scientist

Although I believe the Quantum Mechanics part is still needed because without it these other dimensions wouldn't exist. But I definitely gave it too much power.

Scientist Scientist

You've got a point there. Once your theory is more developed, substantial inclusion on quantum mechanics will be necessary. At this point, however, it didn't seem to be playing too much a role. But then again, I am a biology major so physics is pretty much my Achilles' heel.
I am going to be a creep and assume that you are a second or third year undergrad with a physics major. Good luck with your future endeavours and may your efforts lead to awesomeness perceivable through all 11 theorized dimensions.

lana lana

Actually my first day of college started 4 days ago... but thank you!

Scientist Scientist

thats weird i just saw a video saying the same thing by my Youtuber bae Jaclyng Glenn (hot)

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet