Pedo_CatFitzkriegNonsense_NarwhalTYPOemzwoaybaybayJparksPsychochemicallittletankbagel_like_a_rossBeatrixNemesis_Jojo_nameEmydanilolBigblueIamMeanlivilou7kat_pisCarmelFuzzyChelseaisawesomeBunnyTheMuffinManhotwiredTARDISGraverottiEd_7up1023MeredithGeorginalicekimmyyAngelic_dudebruenette1296ShadePawOTlovemrhatandclogsvampire_academyVitaeundercover5_0My_usernametotallyawesomegingerBananaPowerRainbow35Hey_TheresmorgasboardglowSocksOnMyFeetHigh_Flyer9MissAwesomenessKyRoCoMrsjustinbieberxxiliketurtlesxxteampeeta

Jelly_JarSnobbyDrugAddictTruuninjaniemann2006sickipedianDoctor_WhoSoyChelseacanditoenderJonesyTheBlindManmariahrox153ChapstickTheObliviousPandascene_Kidd12DestroyMySweaterLaprasSpearmintMilkmidnightcookiesStarsComeOut_JulesybellswobbuffetRoadRunnermchristiejennygeeheetheboboIzzyBoobijan311JustKeepSwimmingNemoDamnSkippyLibbyPaigeAYeahSureAxolotlCherrieBeeiReaghanbrookeasaurShanLovesStuffBiggestPandacassey664HaleyMC14saturnlite88Raj3162JohnPlaysGuitarApathyAshleyKunklerewindthissongTallglassofwaterPeppergirl14humanity

ClarayjooyoungreereeiceeselenawizlittlewonderVitaetheoneandonlyspazPaigeperkkk
We should have a fat tax. For every pound overweight someone is they must pay X more dollars monthly in taxes. This would be a good way to decrease obesity in America while increasing our governments revenue. amirite?

the only problem is that obesity increases with lower income. Why? Because healthy food is more expensive than junk food. Taking $ from the poor will not help them be healthier

Joe_Larson Joe_Larson

Joe_Larson Joe_Larson

In response to “the only problem is that obesity increases...

i agree to an extent, but it's only half about eating healthy. You can eat all the shit you want and still stay skinny if you run alot (like myself :P). Also, i live in a wealthy suburb in Connecticut and can say from personal experiences that there are alot of fat people here as well, though not quite as many as in the cities.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

In response to “i agree to an extent, but it's only half...

Not exactly true. You eat all the shit you want and still stay skinny partly because you excirsize and partly because you have a fast metabolism. People with a slower metabolic rate burn fewer calories, and take more engery to burn them. Some people eat all the shit they want, excirsize daily and still put on pounds. Both healthy eating and diet is important for losing weight.

Chapstick Chapstick

In response to “Not exactly true. You eat all the shit you...

I'm sad that society likes to think that metabolism is everything. Yes i have a slightly above average metabolism, but the fact that i run 6 miles every day at a 6-7 minute mile pace accounts for most of the calories i burn. If everyone did this, no one would be fat, cause you can have the shittiest metabolism on the planet but if you burn 1k calories daily by running, (which also builds muscle and improves other functions, like breathing and red blood cell count), there is no way in hell you're getting fat. Weather or not you like to believe it.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

In response to “I'm sad that society likes to think that...

Whether** and I never said metabolism is everything. I'm saying the reason you eat crap but still stay skinny is metabolism. Some people aren't that lucky.

Chapstick Chapstick

In response to “Whether** and I never said metabolism is...

...or i eat crap and still stay skinny because i run all the time :P And my metabolism helps.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

Actually, exercise can cause your metabolism to speed up.

I believe that if a "fat" tax were instituted it should be placed on fatty foods rather than weight. Therefore making it too expensive for low income families to eat junk food, and forcing them to eat healthy.

hjo

That and some of us were just built that way. Ive been drinking water and goin to the gym 5 nites a week and havent lost a pound.

th3don th3don

In response to “That and some of us were just built that way...

either you're skinny already or you needa run more.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

In response to “either you're skinny already or you needa run...

It doesn't matter if they're skinny, they can still lose weight. It'd just be bad if they lose too much.

Stuff

Im not even close to skinny. Some of us just cant do it

th3don th3don

In response to “Im not even close to skinny. Some of us just...

Maybe you are losing fat, but you're gaining muscle from working out at the gym so much too, so you don't realize it.

ManateeMadness ManateeMadness

Intriguing idea, but some people are overweight because of medical conditions or simply genes.

orangesocks

So you want people who are only fat because of genetics to have to pay more? That's horrible.

Doctor_Who Doctor_Who

By the age scale, im obese for my age. Im 200 pounds. That being said im about 6'4 at the age of 15

Jonesy Jonesy

In response to “By the age scale, im obese for my age. Im 200...

obesity is measured by body fat percentage, height, and body type. Not age.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

There is no "age scale" that is anywhere close to accurate. The BMI index (based on height) is a good place to start

Joe_Larson Joe_Larson

In response to “There is no "age scale" that is...

I know there isn't an age scale and i do know about BMI. But still when they do the percents and averages of weight by age. Im on the upper scales and they don't record BMI for that

Jonesy Jonesy

Poor people are fat too.
What the world really needs to do is make junk food more expensive than vegetables, and other healthy things.
It shouldn't be cheaper for me to buy burgers than a salad.

Fred

In response to “Poor people are fat too. What the world...

And that's where our government is screwed up. Not that many people realize how much control the food industry has on our everyday lives.

Anonymous

In response to “And that's where our government is screwed...

The government doesn't have control of how industries price things, so maybe you should stop blaming the government for everything wrong with this country.

Rainbows Rainbows

In response to “The government doesn't have control of how...

Industry pricing strategies are affected by many factors, INCLUDING government regulation. And honestly I don't know how you got that the comment was blaming the government for everything when it said nothing of the sort. Furthermore, he or she actually brings up an excellent point ...

Cuban_B Cuban_B

In response to “Industry pricing strategies are affected by...

"and thats where our government is screwed up"

CJ

In response to “"and thats where our government is...

Yes, I read it. "And THAT'S where our government is screwed up" not "Our government is total shit and screws everything up." It's not only smart, but it's our duty as citizens of a democracy to criticize the government. They should exist for our benefit.

Cuban_B Cuban_B

In response to “Yes, I read it. "And THAT'S where our...

They do exist for our benefit, but the government doesn't completely control this country; we're a mixed economy. A mixed economy is about 95% regulated by the people and 5% regulated by the government. And even with that 5%, it's consent of the governed- the people are the source of all government power. If anything, we should automatically blame ourselves/the people for anything wrong with this country and not the government, which was the point I was earlier trying to make.

Rainbows Rainbows

In response to “They do exist for our benefit, but the...

Lol I'm sorry, but the government does completely control the country. All the other stuff you mentioned is, forgive me, ****. It's ... a nice idea that we have that much power. But the fact remains is that citizens actually don't have as much control as we'd like to think. It's probably just out of inexperience that you buy into any of that, and sweetie the world is much more sinister and complicated than it seems, especially politics. Look, I don't wanna offend you and it's almost never a good idea to get into a debate about politics as it can become very heated. But, the reason I responded to you was to correct you about the industry thing, and also I felt you put words into that persons mouth and then proceeded to attacked him or her for it.

Cuban_B Cuban_B

In response to “Lol I'm sorry, but the government does...

Okay, wait to make me sound like a four year old kid who doesn't know what she's talking about. Everything I said earlier was true. If you want to be the uneducated one and listen to what the media says instead of listening to the facts, then go ahead.

Rainbows Rainbows

In response to “Okay, wait to make me sound like a four...

But I'm not uneducated, trust me. And who said anything about the media? I know better than to rely completely on what I'm told. That would be stupid. But I do have eyes, and a brain. Listen, I reread my comment and I grant you I did come off as a bit condescending so for that I apologize. But I didn't say anything that wasn't true, and you can at least admit that at your age you really don't know much about the world and how it works. Not really. I'm no expert, but sweetheart neither are you. But again, if I was rude I apologize.

Cuban_B Cuban_B

I didn't read all of the comments in this thread, but the government has a huge impact (not control) over pricing. They determine the tax rates on certain foods. In order to decrease unhealthy eating by lower income families they would simply need to increase the tax rates on junk food and simultaneously lower the tax rates on healthy foods.

hjo

So you want people who already have a tough life to have it even harder? Give em a break bro.

Chapstick Chapstick

In response to “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qYY06KD_Zg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOSH I'VE NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE.

Not.

Chapstick Chapstick

In response to “HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOSH I'VE NEVER HEARD...

I just thought of it because you said to give the fat people a break, and the girl of this is morbidly obese, so I'm wondering, does that woman own you? Is that why you're defending them?

homosexualpumpkins

In response to “I just thought of it because you said to give...

No, I'm defending them because they're people just like everyone else and deserve the same rights as everyone else. Having to pay to be fat is ridiculous. Obviously they've made some bad choices and don't lead the ideal life, but that doesn't mean they owe any more to the government. If they really want to make a change, they will. Forcing them to pay extra won't encourage them to lose the weight. It'll just push them deeper into depression.

Chapstick Chapstick

In response to “No, I'm defending them because they're people...

Actually, growing up with a family with high obesity rates and high chances of diabetes, if you force a person to pay extra for being fat, they will lose the weight. My mom went from over 200 (or 300, I'm not even damn sure), to 170. Everyone needs a little push for them to lose weight. I'm the test child (first born, I call it test child) and I'm a fattie. If I was forced to pay because I weigh more, you'd see me at the gym twice as much and I'd lose my weight within a couple months. I'm not saying we should tax them, but if we did, obesity rates would go down so much.

homosexualpumpkins

In response to “Actually, growing up with a family with high...

I really doubt it would make that much a difference. Taking their money would even make them LESS able to get to a gym or buy health food.

Chapstick Chapstick

In response to “I really doubt it would make that much a...

It costs my local gym maybe 10 dollars per month for just a regular membership. They don't even need to go to a damn gym, running outside does a person good.

homosexualpumpkins

You don't have to go to the gym to get in shape. Running is free almost anywhere you want to do it.

And in case you're going to argue that a lot of overweight people are in bad neighborhoods where it's too dangerous to run; indoor push ups, crunches, and lunges are free too.

hjo

In response to “You don't have to go to the gym to get in...

An extremely obese person needs heavy intense excirsize if they want it to be effective. 20 lunges a day isn't going to get you anywhere. Professional gym equipment is necessary.

Chapstick Chapstick

In response to “An extremely obese person needs heavy intense...

Running is the single best workout for anyone trying to lose weight. Powerwalking and walking are also options for those too out of shape to run.

hjo

My gov't teacher is medically considered morbidly obese. His doctor prescribed him pills for heart conditions without even looking at him. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. It's all muscle. He's short and compact. The combination of his height plus his weight makes him morbidly obese on the scale even though he isn't.

AllanFoFallan

In response to “My gov't teacher is medically considered...

So he's like Kingpin?

Anonymous

1-There's no way to calculate how overweight someone is accurately.
2-It's not fair if genes have a part in obesity.
3-What about sumo wrestlers? Being fat is their job.
4-Obese people will be sad about paying more than anyone else, they'll eat their pain and become fatter. No good.

RoadRunner RoadRunner

In response to “1-There's no way to calculate how overweight...

1-There is a way to calculate how overweight someone is accurately. True, BMI is not the best method, but they have machines that measure your body fat percentage.
2-Humans are not naturally obese. I doubt obesity is able to be inherited, unless you are talking about medical conditions. I don't think the government would charge taxes for that.
3-How many sumo wrestlers are there in America? That's more of a Japanese thing. And if they actually DO have a job, then they should be able to pay.
4-If anything, paying more will encourage them to become skinnier.

chch

In response to “1-There is a way to calculate how overweight...

1-Yeah, but that sounds expensive, the government would end up using the extra tax money to test everyone, and it would defeat the purpose.
2-Actually, genetics DO play a part, that's why not everyone's metabolism works the same way.
3-I don't know how many there are, but even if there was only one of them, it would still be unfair. And you say they should be able to pay because they have a job? Well then EVERYONE who has a job should just pay extra taxes,
4-I don't think so. A person who is actually addicted to food won't stop eating, just like an alcoholic wouldn't stop drinking if drinks became more expensive.

RoadRunner RoadRunner

In response to “ 1-Yeah, but that sounds expensive, the...

1-It's not expensive. Most schools have them.
2-Sure, but again, humans aren't naturally inclined to be obese. Genetics might play a part, but you don't have to be overweight just because your parents are.
3-A lot of people are unemployed these days, and if a Sumo wrestler has a job, then they able to pay. Anyway, Being overweight is still unhealthy.
4-You're saying they would eat away their pain, and now you're saying they're addicted? What? Some people just eat because they like to. It doesn't mean they're addicted. And it doesn't make any sense that obese people would eat away their "pain". Again, it would encourage them to lose weight AND find a job/better job to pay more.

chch

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you - but I laughed so hard at the sumo wrestler justification.

laureneli23 laureneli23

It's sad that some people read this and actually think it's a good idea.

Anonymous

it doesn't matter what your genes are. if you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. period. true, some people naturally burn less calories, but it is possible for everybody to lose weight.

Favvkes Favvkes

technically, it is possible to lose weight without eating healthy foods. it's all about the amount of calories you consume.

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “technically, it is possible to lose weight...

But when you eat unhealthily, less you run a high risk of malnutrition, unless you have all those extra nutrients stored in your flab

TheTall123 TheTall123

In response to “But when you eat unhealthily, less you run a...

even fast foods have enough nutrients to at least prevent death from malnutrition

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “even fast foods have enough nutrients to at...

Not if you eat very few things overall though

TheTall123 TheTall123

My BMI says that I'm above the average height and weight. However, compared to my height personally, I'm under the 50th percentile in weight. So meaning I'm above both for the average, but below weight for me. Where would I fall under this then?

GabbyGirlie815 GabbyGirlie815

Yeah, because we totally need this much government control!

humanity humanity

I think there is too much analyzing going on here.
I thought it was just for entertainment.

nopancakemix

I'm Diabetic (Juvenile Type 1) and eat healthier than most people here. I'm 5'3'' and weigh about 163 and was told by my doctor that I can't lose anymore weight or my health would start suffering. I'm alot a muscle and, a bit of fat but, technically I'm overweight. So, you're saying that I'd have to pay this tax, anyway? I can see where you're coming from, but, it definately wouldn't be full proof.

Anonymous

All the obese/overweight people said no-way

Luv2golf42897 Luv2golf42897

In response to “All the obese/overweight people said no-way

Or all the people that have a brain. This post is just unreasonable.

Rainbows Rainbows

I can't believe this actually has a positive score.

Clay_ Clay_

At least in America, I'm pretty sure it's unconstitutional.

humdum

I really didn't feel like reading through all of these comments, so sorry if I'm repeating something but overweight means just that-- overweight. I'm ten pounds "overweight", but I only have a 12% body fat composition. Why is it that I'm considered overweight? Because I'm muscular. And that's what people need to understand; overweight means weighing more than the average weight for your height, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's due to fat. So, to me, this post is very rude and very inaccurate.

Anonymous

Yeah, let's make people feel even worse about themselves and deal with even lower self-esteem than this world's stupid standards about women's bodies and what they should be like provide.

(I swear I cannot phrase that right no matter how times I try, but you get what I mean.)

geekspawn geekspawn

Why can't you just let people be fat? Why should the government care if I want to stuff my face with Twinkies all day? It's my life.

pantherfanatic pantherfanatic

In response to “Why can't you just let people be fat? Why...

cause your **** raises my health insurance, that's why.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

In response to “cause your **** raises my health insurance...

So maybe the government should force people to exercise.

pantherfanatic pantherfanatic

In response to “So maybe the government should force people...

but that wouldn't be democratic, and wouldn't raise money.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

In response to “but that wouldn't be democratic, and wouldn't...

Oh yes. And becoming a police state that weighs every single person and then charges them for how they look is totally democratic. You do know some people are born fat, right?

pantherfanatic pantherfanatic

In response to “Oh yes. And becoming a police state that...

...a baby who is born 10 pounds rather than 8 is at no disadvantage. In fact, more babies die from being too small than being too fat. You are just full of **** you...

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

You do know some people are born gay, right?

Anonymous

If we had this stupid fat tax, we would need a skinny tax too with a similar principal. To prevent anorexia and stuff, which is in ways just a bad as obesity.
but its a terrible idea anyway

Creed

In response to “If we had this stupid fat tax, we would need...

anorexia is as bad as obesity but harder to measure, and less profuse. Also, being slightly underweight is not nearly as bad as being slightly overweight. As a 5'8'' male, i'm suppose to be 140-148 lbs, but i haven't even cracked 120 yet. I am not at all unhealthy though, on the contrary i run a sub 5 mile and eat alot. I am just naturally very skinny and since i run alot that compounds it. Say i was 25 pounds overweight unstead, at 170. That would be quite consequential for my health over the years.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat OP

In response to “anorexia is as bad as obesity but harder to...

I suppose they would just calculate it proportionately, like 30% underweight, and 15% overweight

Creed

Actually, there should be a tax on Stupid...they'd get far more money!

JackHenryKraven JackHenryKraven