AtheisticMysticilikefurrywolves4815Wunderscorestacysmom3162bluishstanleysageLegalAliendukeitoutxxJohn_SmithBrettward95ColeJulesShunslairCapedCrusaderAlyssacemetricalBaconnoisseurfEMMAnistChuckTomBub

Cpt_McMuffinLaughing_sporkDrineyiamrite6155296DagGirlYouChuglyImmaHippieGirlMaryKateBurnettShugahwobbuffettheycallmereemamanthmoovenus_loveThatbitchtwisted_memoriesrunnerdudeMrCurtis01muffinmonkeymich_Woobwillisjawxxharrypotterfreak16AnthonyJardenNacklefoodleDelightful_DolphinAlfredolucichSnobbyDrugAddictJenniferBunniferEvan17musicalTweetbaby14Sobriquetpokerface111ShortyshuffleTheWeaselDeathkittenmchalla3TrishActionManamirite1KristenfifthfogelCadywompusxsTarKid_taMiExpersonThingyarmtheangelsafterawhilenoshittsherlockUneeck42

fEMMAnist
If you're in favor of gay marriage, it only makes sense to also be in favor of polygamy, amirite?

Think about it. Why are you a supporter of gay marriage? Because the government has no right to regulate who you can and can't marry, because if people are in love it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. Why don't those reasons also apply to polygamy?

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

In response to “Think about it. Why are you a supporter of...

People can get hurt in polygamist relationships. Consider the lives of all their children.

Laughing_spork Laughing_spork

In response to “People can get hurt in polygamist...

If people had open minds about polygamy, the lives of the children would be just fine.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

In response to “If people had open minds about polygamy, the...

Typically, when there are many children they get ignored and neglected. The oldest children usually have to raise the young ones themselves. Often girls get raped and are forced to marry at a young age. And I really don't know what the women are in it for.

Laughing_spork Laughing_spork

In response to “Typically, when there are many children they...

Where are you talking about?

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

In response to “Where are you talking about?

It happens in many places (mostly Utah). It's not always like that, but it does happen a lot.

Laughing_spork Laughing_spork

In response to “It happens in many places (mostly Utah). It's...

I've never heard of rape and abuse associated with polygamy. But okay, then point taken.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

In response to “I've never heard of rape and abuse associated...

I don't know if it's as common anymore, but in the big sects I'm sure it still happens. I've researched polygamy on my own and seen many things on TV about it. It doesn't happen in every polygamist family, and rape happens in other communities too. Naturally it happens in the polygamist community.

Laughing_spork Laughing_spork

In response to “I don't know if it's as common anymore, but...

You might be right to a degree, but with legalization comes control, meaning the police can focus on those people and leave the happy families.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

Yeah Laughing_spork is right. In many polygamist societies pedophilia, incest, and various types of abuse have all been documented. Child brides are common. Personally I'm of the opinion that it's do to the cult-like mindset of these societies, not polygamy itself. However, given that everyone involved are consenting adults that love each other, I think both polygamy and polyandry should be allowed. (Somehow people forget about polyandry.) As long as they're happy and no one is getting hurt, it really is nobody's business.

Cuban_B Cuban_B

In response to “Yeah Laughing_spork is right. In many...

In so few cases is a serious argument started with, "Yeah Laughing_spork is right."

griffs28 griffs28

Polyandry? What if the woman gets pregnant? It's too much trouble doing DNA tests to figure out whose kid is this.

Rashed Rashed

In response to “Polyandry? What if the woman gets pregnant?...

Wait, wait, wait. Is that seriously your only objection?

Apple_Pie Apple_Pie

In response to “Wait, wait, wait. Is that seriously your only...

Lol, for polyandry, yes. I'm okay with polygamy though.

Rashed Rashed

Too much trouble for whom? They know what they're getting into.

Cuban_B Cuban_B

I agree with you in a theoretical sense but in reality, allowing more than two people to be in the same marriage contract would create a ton legal problems with taxes, home ownership, insurance, ect. Legalizing polygamy might work but only if we limited it to two or three spouses. Otherwise, me and the 56 people who married me to get American citizenship would find ways to exploit the tax code.

fEMMAnist fEMMAnist

I guess you might have a point, but polygamy is (usually) one man with many wives which is often kinda unfair to the women, whereas two gays marrying each other is completely fair for both of them.

Admiral_Beena Admiral_Beena

In response to “I guess you might have a point, but polygamy...

But if the women know what they are getting into and don't have a problem with it, why do you? Plus in the case of Mormons, it's freedom of religion.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

In response to “But if the women know what they are getting...

Most know what they might be getting into, but don't like it nevertheless. If Muslim women saw how western women lived and their rights, they'd probably go for them. They are born as Muslim women and so will forever be supressed by their husband, you think they like that?

Anonymous

In response to “Most know what they might be getting into...

That does not mean they should not be allowed to if they want to. If they live in the Western world, they will see other women and know what they are choosing.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

Actually, Muslim men are only allowed to marry more than one, if they can treat all equally, support all, and in specific circumstances, such as: unsatisfactory **** life (wife not good in bed, one isn't satisfying his sexual need or wife is sick) and wife is infertile. Also, if the wife wouldn't accept such thing and the husband is persistent, she can always get a divorce; hence, they do have a choice.

Rashed Rashed

In response to “Actually, Muslim men are only allowed to...

Yeah, get a divorce. First everything seems good for the woman, one day later, STONED YOU ARE!

Anonymous

In response to “Yeah, get a divorce. First everything seems...

Not sure if troll, or just ignorant.(meme)
Anyway, I'll go with the second and explain furthermore. Nobody gets stoned for asking for a divorce, it's their God forsaken right as Muslim women.

Rashed Rashed

The relationships themselves aren't illegal, like Hugh Hefner can have as many girlfriends as he wants and even make a show about it, while his legal wife lived next door to him. The problem is that if someone is legally married to more than one person they can abuse tax laws and welfare etc... Another problem is that polygamous communities often break the law in other ways, such as not sending their kids to school, "marrying" off children below the age of consent and underage ****, and domestic abuse is common. Gay marriage is more comparable to straight marriage than polygamy, because it's two consenting adults.

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

In response to “The relationships themselves aren't illegal...

Well then we just need to more tightly control polygamous communities so that things like that don't happen. Let them marry as many people as they want, but regulate the other stuff,

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

I don't think that to believe one should be ok means you must also believe the other should. As people have said before, very little would need to be legally changed to allow for same-**** marriage, but several laws would need to be changed to allow for polygamy and polyandry. However, I believe that given all parties are consenting adults, I think polygamy and polyandry marriages should be legal.

Also, the people talking about the sects are talking about something entirely different from polygamy and polyandry. These sects where the rape and abuse happen don't happen because everyone there is a polygamist. This shit happens because those people are generally religious extremists and nut bags.

twisted_memories twisted_memories

If it's nice and they can control themselves and no abuse happens then I'm okay with it ( like on sister wives). But if it's like warren jeffs and his cult following then I'm against it. I think polyandry is okay when keep under watchful eye too but I don't see how homosexuals and polygamy/polyandry relates?

Juliaface

In response to “If it's nice and they can control themselves...

Read the first comment on this post. And of course Warren Jeffs type of polygamy shouldn't be allowed, that wasn't even consensual.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

In response to “Read the first comment on this post. And of...

No, I read the first comment. I still don't understand your POV. I meant that regular polygamy can get that out of control. If they don't know any better than marrying at a young age then that's all they're going to do.

Juliaface

In response to “No, I read the first comment. I still don't...

Well the law would still forbid marriage that young. And polygamy could be legalized on a probationary period, and they could be inspected bi-weekly, or something like that.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

This is such a bad arguement. Almost stupid. Marriage is about Love while this idea of Polygamy is about Lust! Nothing good ever came out of lust.

They are in no way equivalent, and will never be good comparisons to each other

Some people get them mixed up but the wiser ones know better.

ainskpb ainskpb

In response to “This is such a bad arguement. Almost stupid...

So it's not possible to love more than one person? And want to be in a relationship with all of then?

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic OP

In response to “So it's not possible to love more than one...

See that's just being selfish and lustful. Gotta have them all aye?

ainskpb ainskpb

In response to “See that's just being selfish and lustful...

See, I totally disagree with your reasoning even if I agree with the way you voted. I've heard that exact same argument used against gay marriage -- 'Oh, it's about lust, not love! Two men can't really love each other!'

And you're saying 'Three people can't really love each other!'
My question is, how would you know? It's the same thing I argue with those against gay marriage -- unless you're gay yourself (or in your case, polygamous) it's not fair for you to judge whether what they feel is real.

Tempest_Trance Tempest_Trance

In response to “See, I totally disagree with your reasoning...

I just don't think its fair having to share affection that is meant to be all yours or not yours at all.

Some say having it halfway is better than not having it at all but in this case, I believe it's All or Nothing.

ainskpb ainskpb

In response to “I just don't think its fair having to share...

But that might not be the way they think in a polygamous society. Your personal preference may be to have only one partner but that doesn't mean everyone feels the same. It's not fair for you to try to dictate what people feel just because you don't agree, or to try to state with certainty what people feel if you've never experienced what they have.

'Cause that's exactly what many people against gay marriage do. They make assumptions such as 'what they feel isn't really love.'

Tempest_Trance Tempest_Trance

In response to “But that might not be the way they think in a...

My idea of love revolves around doing what's best for the other person and giving them what they deserve. And this applies to all kinds of love that I know. So I will always try and reason for fairness. If it's not fair, then it's not what they deserve.

I've seen a lot of polygamist families (from travelling to some Muslim countries in Asia. In fact, my uncle practises this too) and truth be told, they just don't feel as peaceful and as happy as those practising monogamy. You'd always feel tension between the wives, on whose child is most preferred; there's always competition.

I don't see how people can be genuinely happy in a polygamous society but I see how the approval of gay marriage can. I agree with you though, that I have no right to dictate what people feel cause I am not in their shoe after all.

ainskpb ainskpb

In response to “My idea of love revolves around doing what's...

Honestly, I don't much favour the idea of polygamous societies either. I just try not to judge feelings about something I haven't personally experienced.

In a more practical sense, I also dislike the idea of polygamy 'cause of the uncertain economical issues that would arise and if, like several people have mentioned, it is proved that more abuse/incest/minor marriages take place in polygamous societies.

On the other hand, I've heard stories about immigrants who expect the promised 'freedom of religion' in America and then are told they can't practice their religious ideals of polygamy. That doesn't seem fair, either.

So...it's still a bit uncertain for me. I think legalizing gay marriage is enough to strive for at the moment~

Tempest_Trance Tempest_Trance

...and if you're in favor of polygamy, why not get rid of some other sexual guidelines. It only makes sense to be in favor of pedophilia.

{Look, I know that seems really extreme, but if you're using the logic "well if they love each other" or "the government has no right to tell you who you can and cannot marry/love/be in a relationship with," you have to use it all across the board.}

Cole Cole

In response to “and if you're in favor of polygamy, why...

Pedophilia involves the victimizing of children. We are talking about consenting adults here.

Cuban_B Cuban_B

I disagree with this post. Those concepts are two opposite things. You can't even compare them. It is a little rude too..

CBbasketball CBbasketball

In response to “I disagree with this post. Those concepts...

My thoughts exactly. Quite a stupid analogy.

ainskpb ainskpb

I think if everyone involved are consenting adults, it should be allowed. Bringing up child marriages and rape is unfair, because that has to do with the society, not the idea of marrying multiple people. It's definitely not impossible to be truly in love with more than one person, just like it's not impossible to be in love with someone of the same gender. There's lots of situations where couples are perfectly okay and accepting of their significant other having an affair, is it right they should have to hide it because it's not legal?

Alyssa