Add Amirite to your Browser

BlackPhoenixchiddybanghanybananyLemonlimeHelveticabunSergJuliafaceFlotatiousTurdMonopolygamyDrewtEzioHullabalooaccio_sabrinaClubMagdy_Ashlie_eldorito_Ihateusernames_sighcantthinkofanameloveallislanderRoboticKissesstoopdogFlipFlopsAndSockslaughingwilloMollieeebluishGlen_Coco4brincklesaurusbojadadaOrange_RadishWynautalittleroisinDarthJadermollytKazzieTheCatalystEvan17CherrieBeeAmeliaGravejuiceProudMaryCraig_dontyouknowpokerface111FUGMINAMaryKateBurnetttheonlystrangeoneKristenCanadian_NinjaDylanSaysHeepwahTotsalots

LegalAliendeeviantlikeomgitsjessiMIDNIGHTANGEL

theonlystrangeonetrueshimmerchapstickEzioBagelFinaglemashmallow515SuperSukhMonopolygamy
People need to realize depression is not an emotion, amirite?

It is an emotion, as well as a disorder. Saying you're depressed when you don't have the disorder is no more inaccurate than saying you're hungry when you have a strong urge for food. Yes, the disorder in itself is terrible, but that doesn't change the meaning of the word. It's as dangerous to overstate it as it would be to understate it.

shorkian shorkian

I stalk the depression tag on tumblr, and it really bugs me when people post their relationsips problems and tag it with depression. Yes, breaking up can cause someone to go into depression, but heartbreak isn't the same thing.
It's like if everyone in my house was hungry but we couldn't eat for two hours and I said we were having a famon.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “I stalk the depression tag on tumblr, and it...

I know what you mean. It's even more annoying when little girls are like o I'm so depressed today. I feel like being no you're not you're upset or sad. People need to realize when someone's depressed it's usually a big deal and usually not something their going to post all over Facebook.

BlackPhoenix BlackPhoenix OP

In response to “I know what you mean. It's even more annoying...

While I most definitely believe depression is a big deal, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you're depressed when you're feeling blue. It's just like saying you're starving when you're hungry… it's just a way to get your point across.

dini190

In response to “While I most definitely believe depression is...

If you actually are depressed there's nothing wrong with it yes. Problem is 3/4 of people who say they are depressed are not. Thus why people have to realize depression is not an emotion

BlackPhoenix BlackPhoenix OP

In response to “If you actually are depressed there's nothing...

*shorkian's comment*

Yeah, I think s/he said it all.

dini190

shorkian shorkian

In response to “It is an emotion, as well as a disorder...

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. People have created an emotion out of it.

BlackPhoenix BlackPhoenix OP

In response to “Depression is a chemical imbalance in the...

Major Depressive Disorder is a chemical imbalance of the brain. Depression itself is just a symptom. Not only of that, but of many psychological disorders. Sometimes, it stands on it's own, and fades, just like any other emotion. Even if it did stem from being a disorder in itself, so is the evolution of language. Assuming your point is correct, it'd hardly matter. Terms change. Travel back to the 1800s, and your dialect of English would be entirely different.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “Major Depressive Disorder is a chemical...

My point was more people overuse the word depression. I think the word upset or sad would be more appropriate for most people. I just know a lot of people use it for attention. And of course I'm only generalizing nothing is true for everyone.

BlackPhoenix BlackPhoenix OP

In response to “My point was more people overuse the word...

Oh, no doubt is overused, but that's something else entirely. I have a friend whose mom actually suffer from MDD, and she abuses the term all the time. Which sucks for me when I'm around her, because I'm one of those people who just gets really irritated when a word is overused or just generally abused. Side note, you know what word pisses me off for no good reason thanks to it's overuse? Legit.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “Oh, no doubt is overused, but that's...

Is legit even a real word? Or just a shortened term? No matter I agree :3

BlackPhoenix BlackPhoenix OP

In response to “Is legit even a real word? Or just a...

According to google it is. But when I read it, all that I can think of is how they're too lazy to write "legitimate".

shorkian shorkian

In response to “According to google it is. But when I read...

When I googled it all I got was urban dictionary the rest corrected it to legitimate :) but I agree.

BlackPhoenix BlackPhoenix OP

I HATE LEGIT. whenever my friends use it I want to slap them...

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

(cry2) this is an emoticon portraying depression

DarthJader DarthJader

In my case, it's a complete lack of emotion...

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

In response to “In my case, it's a complete lack of emotion...

Isn't that apathy?

Anonymous

In response to “Isn't that apathy?

Nope. Apathy is just not caring; I'm talking about flat affect. Being totally unable to feel strong (or any) emotion.

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

In response to “Nope. Apathy is just not caring; I'm talking...

Actually, I think the term for lacking emotion is being a Psychopath. Don't hold me to that though.

FanceyPants FanceyPants

In response to “Actually, I think the term for lacking...

I'm pretty sure that when someone is a psychopath, he or she is completely lacking a sense of right and wrong. I can check, though...

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

It's mainly characterized by a lack of empathy and remorse, violent social behavior, and egocentricity, among other things.

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

Actually being depressed is a normal emotion that everyone experiences from time to time. Clinical depression is a serious problem that doesn't go away after a few days. So you're wrong.

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

Continue