• Topics:Religion
  • Featured on the home page on Jan 11th 2012
  • Post Of The Day on Feb 5th 2012

JimiHendrixHullabalooGolfWangsoberlikekeshaOCDpantsjonblue45000rebekahshAvayourfaceFlotatiousTurdBrohandasGhandiCaptainObviouscolettefoolwithdreams_samiisawesomeDrewtTheGirlWhoWasOnFirewobbuffetDanielJameshearts1020kerouacJessiMatt_the_Jewctiscoolerscene_Kidd12DryTurtlePinkSpongeAxolotlbojadadaStickCavemanThe_QuestionClaireTheBozoPurple_CowAnnieMcManusAdmiral_Beenaafterawhilebailey143BakerGator96TristantheGreatSpearmintMilkHastyCroissantTargetLadyAsteriskiMaybiMoonie98Pun_CoonAnnDeevaMyDerailmentshelbybuckffsKirstenAnnbrincklesaurus

batataLvl15shamanKristenHopeImriteAlexCarlileThePillowCallMeMrRightilovenaniJustAWintergirllivelovemusic12sb123RhahriiDeViino111SergrunnerdudeREBEKKAHJennitaliaEvan17Lemon_cupcakeFaithfulHenryUngi_am_secretly_a_platypusKiwimango9SobriquetMemseyRebeccaNotBlackcrazyllamasglowtmickeyTheWeaselinnocentbunnys_Ihateusernames_sham272SarwatPrinceAliIgorTetotayApplesnbananasDramaGrl151casperboxtopJankofettWynauteieiodaniel123slairTotsalotssouthernloviniliketacossgingerbabeVictoryAACFanceyPantsRoboticKisses

incedioyazzmuffinRubenKwilmanamefitdontpanicblue45000MatrixNLRecalescenceDryTurtlegriffs28JokershingrowobbuffetSandyH0ngAnchored17TheVibeAlchemistInmate_24601Ram27epic_fail11Jellyfish_JellyfishSabsThePandaArnoldVanDerWaltEmperorerrorPopsicleStickNickNerrisHUletthedogsout7shorkianshelbybuckffstroglobiteHayleyAmeliaOMGitsJasminKateKatOwnsYourSoulcherryblasterthedoctormerlinEziomattreynoldsEbony_WaymadibCatSamiratagerinliannaclareGrammarGirlKurrainetteWatermelon_pi_GryndStone
It's annoying when you achieve something and someone religious says something like "You should thank God." ** that. You worked your ** off to achieve it, why should God get the credit. It's not like, if you failed they'd say "You should really blame God.", amirite?

And then, just to piss them off, you should reply "I already thanked Allah."

YeahIAm

My guess is they'd say "Thank God it wasn't something worse."

Miss_Courage_Wolf Miss_Courage_Wolf

In response to “My guess is they'd say "Thank God it...

Do not blame God for having created the tiger, but thank him for not having given it wings.
-Traditional Indian Proverb

fEMMAnist fEMMAnist

In response to “Do not blame God for having created the...

So ignore/excuse all the bad stuff, praise all the good stuff?

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “So ignore/excuse all the bad stuff, praise...

There is another great proverb/fable that explains it. I have no idea where it comes from. I goes something like this:

"One day, a man meets God. The man asks him angrily, "How come there is poverty, injustice, hunger, and suffering in the world when you could do something to stop it?" God turns to the man and asks him the same question."

"The man asks God, "Why did you not send humanity help, when we needed it so desperately?" God replies, "My child, I did send help. I sent you. I gave you life so you might live for others; I gave you arms so you might work for humanity's benefit; I blessed you with riches so you might use them to help your neighbor in need. Now go, my child, and do your duty to mankind as I have done mine. Do not demand of me service that you do not demand of yourself."

fEMMAnist fEMMAnist

In response to “There is another great proverb/fable that...

For some reason I always thought you were an atheist...

JimiHendrix JimiHendrix OP

In response to “For some reason I always thought you were an...

I hear that a lot in real life. My definition of God is so loose and ambigous that a lot of people tell me that I'm really an atheist because I don't believe in the traditional human-like magical God. Since I wouldn't live my life any differently if I learned there wasn't a god, the question isn't terribly important to me anyway. It's just an interesting philosophical concept that's fun to talk about.

fEMMAnist fEMMAnist

I also love the logic of "We escaped the hurricane, we must be blessed by God." So were the thousands who died cursed by Him then?

wobbuffet wobbuffet

In response to “I also love the logic of "We escaped the...

No. They say they were blessed because of the thousands who died. It's kind of like the christian version of "what good luck we have to have made it out alive." it doesn't mean that they had bad luck or were "cursed by God" it just means that they had good luck and they're recognizing that fact.

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “No. They say they were blessed because of the...

But getting "blessed" and having good luck are two completely different things. Getting blessed implies a purposeful will by God, while being lucky implies something happening by pure chance.

wobbuffet wobbuffet

In response to “But getting "blessed" and having good...

I don't believe anything is purposeful will by God. I believe that he sets up trillions of pathways for you to take and then free will kicks in. So, to me, escaping a hurricane is pure luck.

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “I don't believe anything is purposeful will...

Okay great...so you agree with me that it's **** stupid to say that you must be blessed by God if you avoid a tragic situation that others die in. It was just dumb luck, not the work of a higher power.

wobbuffet wobbuffet

In response to “Okay great...so you agree with me that it's...

Sorta. I think you CAN be blessed with good luck. Its not the other ones were cursed.

Its like intelligence. Just because you were smart enough to pass a test doesn't mean the other people were too stupid to pass it.

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “Sorta. I think you CAN be blessed with good...

The reasoning in your second paragraph is good.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

I like you. You believe in God and science

B10ckH34d B10ckH34d

In response to “I like you. You believe in God and science

I don't see how they can't coexist.

pb55020 pb55020

No, other people's lives were going to end, so they are saying they are blessed because God has a longer path for them to follow. Sure it doesn't make sense that some die if there is a God on the surface, but the meaning is much deeper. It's the same thing as "I'm blessed to have overcome cancer", for some, cancer is a bump in the road, for most, it's the end of the road. If everyone had the same life, it'd be pretty boring.

amiritesucksnow amiritesucksnow

In response to “No, other people's lives were going to end...

And, so as to keep it from being boring, God decides that he should kill some people.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

Well, consider God's track record. A genocide (plus almost every animal), couple of cities, miscellaneous murders here and there. Seems like you'd rather be polite to that type of guy.

TristantheGreat

In response to “Well, consider God's track record. A genocide...

Also ruining a guy's life over a bet.

TristantheGreat

In response to “Also ruining a guy's life over a bet.

It's a story, and if you read the story you would know that God had restored the man with 10 times what he originally had

justwondering28

In response to “It's a story, and if you read the story you...

From what I recall, the epilogue where God rewards Job was not found in previous bibles, but instead, the newer bibles include it to make god seem like a pretty nice guy. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, God also killed Job's family, but didn't return them

BronySystem BronySystem

In response to “From what I recall, the epilogue where God...

I believe you are mistaken. Also, if you've read the book, Job's wife has not been killed. She eve told him to curse God and die after the satan afflicted him with boils. So, God could have blessed Job with an even bigger family after everything was said and done by blessing him with many more children. In fact, the story goes that Job's daughters are the most beautiful in the region.

justwondering28

He killed his familyturn that? Also i find it odd that an omnisicent God can feel JEALOUSY, ANGER, AND PRIDE to the point he makes a bet with Satan and destroys a man's livelihood and family to win a bet...

Anonymous

In response to “He killed his familyturn that? Also i find it...

His wife survived. God could have restored his family through the children they had after the bet. And it was not out of "anger" or "pride" or "jealousy" that God tested Job.

justwondering28

In response to “His wife survived. God could have restored...

Wow because having new children sure makes up for the old one he killed. I'll keep that in mind when you have children, and God tells me to kill them. I will spare your wife, and force her to pop out new children and if you mourn your old children I will punish you severely, since I have obviously repaid you in greater wealth and you should be grateful for that.

Anonymous

If I burned down your house and killed your family, would you forgive me if I bought you a new house and found you a new wife and kids?

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “If I burned down your house and killed your...

No, but you're not God now are you?

justwondering28

In response to “No, but you're not God now are you?

Ahh so God gets to do whatever he wants without getting judged because he is God.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “Ahh so God gets to do whatever he wants...

Thats the idea, yes.

justwondering28

In response to “Thats the idea, yes.

WTF? So this is the mindset we are dealing with. No wonder arguing with you = circular reasoning.

Anonymous

In response to “WTF? So this is the mindset we are dealing...

That I believe that there is a higher being that knows better than we do? It's unreasonable to believe that the One who created everything we see probably knows whats best?

justwondering28

In response to “Thats the idea, yes.

Well...that's pretty **** up.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “Well...that's pretty **** up.

I don't believe so.

justwondering28

In response to “I don't believe so.

Alrighty. Maybe **** up was a poor choice of words, but I do think that there is something wrong with that idea.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

I'm a little religious but dude I'm so with you

ThatHas2BMe

YeahIAm

In response to “And then, just to piss them off, you should...

**** yeah I am doing this to my rather religious teacher tomorrow

Your_Moms_Boyfriend Your_Moms_Boyfriend

Christians, Jews and Muslims worship the same God.

Saigot

I know a lot of Muslims who do this, but they only say it to each other so that they don't offend anyone. If someone failed at some thing they say "Insh'Allah (God willing), you'll get it next time" so technically they are saying yes this time God meant it not to happen, for His own reasons.

TimeToGO

Jimi Hendrix = Ayn Rand?

declanoh declanoh

In response to “Jimi Hendrix = Ayn Rand?

I gave you an up vote for mentioning Ayn Rand.

fEMMAnist fEMMAnist

In response to “I gave you an up vote for mentioning Ayn Rand.

I gave YOU an up vote for mentioning Ayn Rand.

Admiral_Beena Admiral_Beena

In response to “I gave YOU an up vote for mentioning Ayn Rand.

I gave you an upvote for mentioning Ayn Rand.

Montana Montana

In response to “I gave you an upvote for mentioning Ayn Rand.

I gave you c-c-c COMBO BREAKER!

OFWGKTA OFWGKTA

In response to “I gave you c-c-c COMBO BREAKER!

I don't want it, you can have it back

BurntToastCastle BurntToastCastle

In response to “I don't want it, you can have it back

Someone's not getting a present from me this year, regifter.

Runy Runy

When I fail my mother says "I guess it wasn't God's will" similar to "blaming God

thatsjustmii

of course you wouldn't blame God, that's what the Devil is there for...

mr_e mr_e

In response to “of course you wouldn't blame God, that's what...

LOL

Did God create Hell? : Yes.
Does your God create the rules of universe including the criteria in which souls are judged? : Yes.
Does anything happen that doesn't go according to your God's will? : No.
Then your God is ultimately responsible for everything, including the people he sends to hell. : FUUUUUUUUU

Albert_Einstein Albert_Einstein

In response to “LOL Did God create Hell? : Yes. Does your...

I don't even know why I am doing this. Heaven and Hell are not places. They are states of mind. Hell is being in full disunion with God, while Heaven is being in full union with God. The choices we make (sinning vs. not sinning, essentially) determine the degree of the relationship we have with God while we are on earth. Nobody can say with certainty what goes on at the final judgement of your soul, but it does not exactly mean that God chooses to send you to a place labelled Hell, a waiting room labelled Purgatory, or a place labelled Heaven. Ultimately your fate is based upon the choices you made on earth and if in the end, you truly accept God as the creator and Christ as the savior. That's all I'm going to say on that matter.

chocolatecakeisbad chocolatecakeisbad

How I think of it is that you're not thanking God that you worked really hard, you're thanking God for the opportunity.

Sqwancho Sqwancho

In response to “How I think of it is that you're not thanking...

How I think of it is that God doesn't exist, so it doesn't matter anyway (troll)

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “How I think of it is that God doesn't exist...

The troll face being an emoticon isn't an invitation to troll as much as you can.

boxtop

In response to “The troll face being an emoticon isn't an...

I beg to differ.

Runy Runy

Trolls don't need an invitation to troll as much as they can.

a_fetus a_fetus

atheist! U r not capable of truly loving anything. God and Jesus love u anyway....

Anonymous

In response to “atheist! U r not capable of truly loving...

Leave it up to the Christian bigot to use terrible spelling and grammar.

YeahIAm

In response to “Leave it up to the Christian bigot to use...

Dear yeahiam,

I thank you for capitalizing Christian :) I hope one day you can see the great benefits it brings you. So many people cant be wrong.

As to my grammar and spelling, God has given me enormous intelligence and i am capable of writing wonderful papers.

I am sorry that it bothered you in any way. I will remember to use correct grammar and spelling next time (just for you).

God bless you <3

Anonymous

In response to “Dear yeahiam, I thank you for capitalizing...

I didn't order a troll.

Clementines Clementines

All that many people cant be wrong? Most of the people in the world aren't Christian

iamthewalrus

You forgot to capitalize your I. God can give you the opportunity to be gifted with intelligence, but no, God did not "give" you it.

Ethan Ethan

I literally just wrote about this somewhere else. WE'RE THE SAME PERSON.

aZIGAZIGAHHH

stupid post is stupid.

Pug

In response to “stupid post is stupid.

Stupid comment is stupid.

YeahIAm

In response to “Stupid comment is stupid.

saw that one coming.

Pug

In response to “saw that one coming.

Cool story bro. You should tell it at parties.
...
"And then! And then! As we all expected - heh, he shed 'stupid comment is stupid' A hah hahah! Is this not the funniest thing?!"

Emperorerror Emperorerror

In response to “stupid post is stupid.

Thank you for your very insightful comment.

JimiHendrix JimiHendrix OP

In response to “stupid post is stupid.

Just got told, eh?
http://ctrlv.in/62610

Picture is not meant to be Offensive

Kashish Kashish

It depends on what you 'achieved' if you won a raffle you did nothing, that was God's doing. If you become a starter on the soccer team the first year you played you can thank God for that one. If your mom survives some accident you can thank God that she survived and the fact that you know appreciate her more because she was so close to surviving. If you spent three years trying to get really good at soccer you can thank God for your determination. You cannot do anything without God so thank him for the fact that you parents had **** on the given day they did and then that you weren't aborted.

o_o_MARSH o_o_MARSH

In response to “It depends on what you 'achieved' if you won...

I can do anything without God. He didn't make my parents have ****, that'd be creepy. And what if you were aborted? Was that God's fault, too? Or only the good stuff. I'm starting to think your God is only perfect when you want him to be. (And yes, Alicia, this is Tim)

Anonymous

In response to “I can do anything without God. He didn't...

Not the ****, but the fact that that very sperm and egg combined to make you... what are the odds of that? And the abortion? I don't think that people spontaneously decide to abort, and God doesn't control people's minds.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

Oh hi Tim. He is there for everything. You have freewill as do I. Therefore it is not his fault you did something wrong, although sin has a part to do with this.

o_o_MARSH o_o_MARSH

Did you just have to bring up my parents having **** it that comment?

Sergio Sergio

But guys, I'm Hindu. WHICH GOD DO I THANK?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hindu_deities

Kashish Kashish

In response to “But guys, I'm Hindu. WHICH GOD DO I THANK?!...

Shashti - goddess of cats

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “Shashti - goddess of cats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashthi
Yes yes, aren't you happy now Favvkes? :)
You should blame her for all the hate you get on your cat pictures.

Kashish Kashish

Bagala. I assume he is the God of bagels.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “Bagala. I assume he is the God of bagels.

Bagels definitely need more patron deities.

Boviesquared Boviesquared

Exactly. If you thank God for a healthy baby, would you blame him for a stillborn?

You can't say that good occurrences are God's Will, and then deny that bad occurrences are as well. If God sends the rain that ends a drought, he also sends the rain that starts a flood.

ExquisiteCorpse

In response to “Exactly. If you thank God for a healthy baby...

Simple, thank God for welcoming the child into his arms.

o_o_MARSH o_o_MARSH

My cousin made some kind of joke about babies around a pastor we had just met, and the pastor said, "My week-year-old son just died." Our immediate response was to apologize, but then the pastor said something that I was surprised to hear. God didn't want to kill his son. God took his son away (to heaven) because he had been neglecting his wife by being too involved in the church. He was not honoring his wife, and the death brought them closer than ever. He thought it was God's doing, but he knew there was a reason for it, and he knew that he would be reunited with his son in heaven.

I thought that anecdote was sort of relevant to the stillborn question.

Anonymous

In response to “My cousin made some kind of joke about babies...

Thats awful....he's a pastor who's supposed to be involved in church. What a horrible thing to think. I feel bad, that as a religious person, his only thought is god killed his child bc he worked too much. It hurt his wife too, im sure she wanted that child and did not mind her husband being "too involved in church", what a horrible train of thought for him. I feel such pity for the way he thinks.

Anonymous

In response to “Thats awful....he's a pastor who's supposed...

Well, he admitted that he was too involved and didn't need to be. Whatever he was doing, I'm not sure, it wasn't worth ignoring his wife. Even I am surprised by the way he thinks. It takes great faith to feel that way.

Anonymous

In response to “Well, he admitted that he was too involved...

It also takes a level of being rather self-centered to feel that way. God thought that the pastor's relationship was more important than an entire human life? Why on earth would the child's death be about HIM? That sort of self-centered thinking bothers me. Or, he just believes in such a cruel God that this action seems reasonable, which also makes me sick.

Anonymous

In response to “It also takes a level of being rather...

Your questions are questions any normal person would wonder about, including myself. That's what the pastor said to us, and I'm giving the example as a possible explanation. I still believe it takes tremendous faith, and the pastor could be wrong about why his son died. He is right, however, that there is a greater reason for the death. Forgive me for sounding cliche, but everything happens for a reason (at least in a Christian viewpoint).

Anonymous

In response to “Your questions are questions any normal...

Fair enough. I don't agree with that opinion, but I respect it.

Anonymous

So he thinks that God would KILL A CHILD because of him? Why would you even want to believe in a God that would do such a merciless and cruel thing? That kind of thought process if what disturbs me about religious people.

Anonymous

Yeah, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the world that worked just as hard for a similar achievement and that never got it. Just because you do something, doesn't mean that you'll be successful. Be thankful that you were smart enough, athletic enough, pretty enough, etc., for whatever you achieved. Besides, nothing you ever do is thanks to you alone, as our lives are influenced by many things. You may be in the right place, at the right time. Sure, you worked hard, and that's important, but that doesn't mean that everything will work out. Take show business for instance.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Yeah, and I'm sure there are plenty of other...

So people that can't move should curse God because they aren't athletic enough? God can't be responsible for the good things and not the bad.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “So people that can't move should curse God...

No, but people are given what they are given, and it is important to be appreciative if you are happy with what you have. You're not going to be upset that you have the good things in your life just because someone else doesn't. And if someone is born into poverty, who should they blame? Themselves? Other people? Or their circumstance? I'd choose the latter. People are given different situations and it is important to make the most of what you have. The person that can't move doesn't have a worthless life. They can still achieve something great, and be happy with their life. I put a lot of responsibility on humans as a whole. If people work together, we would be able to advance more quickly in medical research and this person can move again. The athletic thing that I mentionned was their because it may correspond with a specific achievement in which someone worked hard for, such as making a certain sports team. Sure, you worked hard, but if you didn't have the potential in the first place, you wouldn't have been able to regardless of your effort.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “No, but people are given what they are given...

I disagree with you, but I very much respect the way you present your arguments. You know what you're talking about!

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “I disagree with you, but I very much respect...

Thank you! I appreciate that. I like the questions you pose too, they make me think.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

I feel bad for guys. God gets all the credit for their sexual performance.

Favvkes Favvkes

Reminds me a bit of Beneatha from A Raisin in the Sun.

Anonymous

As for blaming God, since when does God owe any of us anything?

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “As for blaming God, since when does God owe...

Ever since people are getting killed daily because other people believe in the 'wrong' God.

StealthApple StealthApple

In response to “Ever since people are getting killed daily...

And what about the people that die because they believe in "a" God?

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “And what about the people that die because...

What about them? Are you talking about the fact that people are being killed by non-believers because they believe in God? I'm not saying it's not true, just trying to get your point.

StealthApple StealthApple

In response to “What about them? Are you talking about the...

Most religions do not advocate killing. However, many people use them to manipulate other people. A popular example is using Hitler's Christian status to claim that Hitler killed people in the name of Christianity. However, Hitler killed because he was a psychopath with no morals, not due to his religion. By the same logic that some people use by using Hitler as a Christian example, one could argue that Stalin, being an atheist, was influenced to do what he did because of his atheism. However, he, too, did what he did due to being a psychpath and without morals. The point is, that God isn't the cause of violence, people are.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Most religions do not advocate killing...

Yeah I know if you take most religious books not too serious they don't advocate killing at all (getting rid of all the 'extreme' parts of religion including the genocide, or actually, getting rid of a lot of verses). God isn't the cause of violence but the people's act of violence are done because of their way of interpreting the holy books. So I still think it's right to include religion as part of the cause for it.

StealthApple StealthApple

In response to “Yeah I know if you take most religious books...

Atheism would cause just as much, if not more, deaths if it were actually organized. Take Stalin's communist approach, as an example. Clearly limiting liberty of thought has never worked out. I don't think it's religion that causes the deaths. It's intolerance. If people as a whole were more tolerant to liberty of thought and expression or faith, religion would be nothing but a positive force in the world.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Atheism would cause just as much, if not...

Aithiesm will never be organized. Saying it would kill if it was like religion (which is what your saying basically with 'organized' comments) is laughable

Anonymous

Hitler was a Catholic in his younger life, but he denounced all religion by the time he became a dictator and actually spoke very badly about it.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

In response to “Hitler was a Catholic in his younger life...

I'm not saying he was an atheist, either. It just wasn't religion pushed him to genocide...Well, aside from the fact that he was against it (Judaism, particularly).

http://homepages.paradise.net.n...ca_hitler.html

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

There is no justification whatsoever to commit evil acts BECAUSE you are an atheist. There's just no connection. However, there is a very obvious pathway between "I'm going to kill someone" and "there's an imaginary person who says I should". The point is that if you're not functioning or doing what you do because of logic and reason, you can justify anything.

ForeverMarauder ForeverMarauder

In response to “There is no justification whatsoever to...

Just as it makes no sense to kill people when you're a Christian. Point it, people that are against religion can be coaxed to use intolerance against those that are religious, and this intolerance can be used to perform hateful acts.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Just as it makes no sense to kill people when...

Yes but then religious vs. not religious is just another opinion. Anyone who hates people who think differently than them could go out and kill those people. Like hey, someone who likes chocolate ice cream over vanilla ice cream could go out and kill all of the people who prefer vanilla. But he wouldn't be doing that because he likes chocolate ice cream; he's doing it because he's crazy. He would have NO justification. Just like an atheist would have NO justification. However, religion gives crazy people (or just plain indoctrinated people) a justification for murder. You could say you were carrying out "God's will." That makes religion the very basis for that action.

ForeverMarauder ForeverMarauder

In response to “Yes but then religious vs. not religious is...

That's what I'm saying. Religion doesn't kill people, crazy kills people. Now, hypothetically if atheism were organized the same way as religion, someone can become convinced that atheists are more intelligent at that he is doing humans a favour, or he might claim that religion has done bad for the world and tries to rid people of it. Thus, he may feel justified. Same thing, different beliefs. This is also comparable to persecution that women have had to face due to sentiments of women being inferior among men in the past, which often did not require religion (though in certain cultures it was used, but not all). When religion is used negatively, it is due to corruption or manipulation, as a tool. Not because religion is evil.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “That's what I'm saying. Religion doesn't kill...

I agree that religion is not evil. However, I disagree with using religion as a justification for anything. The point I am trying to make is not essentially against religion acting as a reason; it's against ANYTHING that cannot be proven acting as a reason. That is why I dislike when people say they (for example) won a race because of God. That's using religion as a justification, and to me, that's as nonsensical as saying I killed all of those people because of God. The former example isn't evil, it just doesn't make any sense.

ForeverMarauder ForeverMarauder

If someone kills people in your name, that really says more about them than it does you.

Boviesquared Boviesquared

Religion is messed up. The best choice for the slightly conservative is to be a deist. One who believes in God, to explain everything to them that science does not, but not religion. Religion is created by people and misused by people.

Tek

So true. But the religious people will just make up some crap about why you're wrong, which will end up proving you right again. Good things happen: Yay for god! Bad things happen: Well, god works in mysterious ways. Apparently god can't do EVERYTHING. He just doesn't have the time.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “So true. But the religious people will just...

But because you are just as stuck in the way you think as they are stuck in the way they think, you're opinion will change no more than theirs will because of personal biases, regardless of the validity of what either of you say.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “But because you are just as stuck in the way...

Then why'd you bother commenting?

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “Then why'd you bother commenting?

It's just something that I've noticed:P Atheists (not necessarily you) are quick to claim that Christians don't use logic, when the logic itself may be very sound. Just the very fact that you believe in different things will live each other frustrated simply because you do not see things the same way, regardless of the reasoning behind it. Some atheists use very poor reasoning and some Christians use poor reasoning as well. Both of these people, however, will walk away thinking that the other was illogical.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “It's just something that I've noticed:P...

I'm just pointing out the flaw in the logic itself. And you don't need to capitalize "atheists".

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “I'm just pointing out the flaw in the logic...

Oh, the capitalization was because it was the start of the sentence.

Sure, you can point out the flaws in this scenerio. I just expressed a pet peeve of mine which is when atheists are biased against Christians from before they even listen to what they say, or when they try to claim that believing in the existence of God is illogical. There is nothing about that that contradicts logic.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Oh, the capitalization was because it was the...

I listen to what they say I just think it is in fact illogical. And I admit I'm a little biased sometimes but I still listen and argue back. The only form of theism I'm okay with is Deism. It's usually not the theism at base, it's the religion built around it.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “I listen to what they say I just think it is...

This is exactly what I mean. No, it is not illogical. There is just as much evidence to believe that God exists as there is to believe He doesn't. Whether He is as specified by a religion or an unknown interpretation of Him. You listen and you argue back just as they listen and argue back, and both groups use loopholes against each other, rather than accepting each other's logical points.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “This is exactly what I mean. No, it is not...

You're doing exactly what you're saying other people do. And it really isn't logical to believe in something that was made up by man and has no evidence. Do you believe in Santa Claus?

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “You're doing exactly what you're saying other...

I'm not saying that I wasn't. That's what I was saying. Atheists and Christians alike will stick to their own convictions, and whoever has more logic is subjective to which side you're on.

No, I do not believe in Santa Claus. I think it's pretty clear that Santa does not exist. I do believe, however, that St. Nicholas existed. Now, you're saying that God was made up by man. This is where we differ. I think there is plenty of evidence. What about the fact that spirituality is a fundamental aspect of human existence, even evolution-wise?

This an interesting article on evolutionary evidence on spirituality and its effect on the human mind:
http://community.seattletimes.n...&slug=ax23

Spirituality, symbolism, religion. Though they may not have evidence to believe in, there is the same amount of evidence than not believing.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “I'm not saying that I wasn't. That's what I...

You don't need evidence to not believe. You can't prove a negative. And just because people tend to be spiritual doesn't mean spirituality is real.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “You don't need evidence to not believe. You...

It depends on which one you consider the neutral state, which is again subjective to what side you are on.

And means spirituality is an important part of human existence that shouldn't be suppressed. Not to say that everyone needs to be religious. But just as the article stated, people started to hold funeral ceremonies quite some time ago. Now, these ceremonies do not necessarily change what has happened, but it is important for the human spirit to recognize that death and allow themselves closure.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “It depends on which one you consider the...

Well that's like Voltaire's quote "If God were not real, it would be necessary to invent him," which I disagree with. Spirituality isn't necessary for people, not anymore. I think we've grown passed that.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “Well that's like Voltaire's quote "If God...

Oh? So if someone you loved died, you would have no need to attend their funeral? To allow yourself closure? If spirituality were unnecessary, people would no longer be afraid of death, or even wonder what happens afterwards. I don't think you understand spirituality. It is sound in the littlest of things that we do everyday. It is not always blatantly religious.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Oh? So if someone you loved died, you would...

My dad died. I may not like it, but there's nothing after death. People can deal with that now. I know that my dad can never feel sorrow again. Nothing can be bad for him, for his consciousness no longer exists.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “My dad died. I may not like it, but there's...

That's still spiritual thinking, even if you don't believe in life after death. "Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being." Though their are many different definitions. Point is, we haven't just "grown out" of spirituality.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “That's still spiritual thinking, even if you...

I don't believe in an "immaterial reality." And I know we haven't grown out of it, but hopefully we will.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “I don't believe in an "immaterial...

Immaterial reality can find its form in many ways, including your imagination. If you can't imagine things, than I think you should get checked out (just kidding:P). Spirituality isn't an evil thing! It's not even something that needs to be grown out of. In fact, when it was developing (as mentionned in the article) is was a sign of growing intelligence, being able to mentally represent different aspects of human existence in abstract ways. Spirituality gives us things like music and art. Again, it is not purely religious. Religion takes spirituality but spirituality does not necessarily take religion.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Immaterial reality can find its form in many...

I wouldn't define that as spirituality, more just emotionalism and creativeness. None of this proves god or religion or the logic I was criticizing.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “I wouldn't define that as spirituality, more...

We started to go off topic. I'd define it as spirituality because they are aspects of the human spirit. In french, the word esprit hold the double meaning of spirit and of mind. Spirit can also be related to human conciousness, aspects of humans that make us different than other animals. However, if we are going to argue on the definitions of words, I suggest we just stop:/ Let's just agree to disagree, seeing as we both have different views on the matter and what needs to be said has already been said.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “We started to go off topic. I'd define it as...

The human consciousness is in the mind, a soul suggests otherwise. But yeah, agree to disagree.

Tim5o Tim5o

There is nowhere near as much evidence in favor of God as there is against.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

TIMMY! These mysterious ways will make you a priest, just watch.

o_o_MARSH o_o_MARSH

In response to “TIMMY! These mysterious ways will make you a...

Oh, of course, Alicia. That'll happen. And then I'll get a girlfriend. And you'll shoot me with a cotton-candy arrow.

Tim5o Tim5o

In response to “http://ctrlv.in/62604

Wait you posted this picture but no wayed the post..?

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

In response to “Wait you posted this picture but no wayed the...

I disagree with the post but when I read it I thought of this picture

Kristen

In response to “http://ctrlv.in/62604

Thanks, poor, toiling farmer for this food.

Tek

Seriously, I don't say "you should thank God" to people unless I know they're religious and might actually care. It's annoying when people try to make you say thanks to God when talking to an atheist. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't thank God if you actually believe in him.

fangirl12 fangirl12

God made bad things in life to make us appreciate and be thankful for the good things

OFWGKTA OFWGKTA

In response to “God made bad things in life to make us...

So God intentionally starves African children so white American teenagers can feel lucky? Well, not only did he fail (American teenagers are generally thankful of nothing), but he also seems like a major ****.

YeahIAm

In response to “So God intentionally starves African children...

that's the problem with people these days. they aren't thankful for what they have and they're to caught up with their own perfect lives that they don't take the time to help others.

OFWGKTA OFWGKTA

and these starving African children are thankful when they do get a meal, they are probably very thankful because they don't know if they'll get another one.

OFWGKTA OFWGKTA

Why did you have to say "white American teenagers" why not just teenagers that are well off..? Aren't teenagers generally thankful of nothing everywhere? And why are all of the unthankful people white? :P

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

WELL... I personally AGREE with you, but the "thankful" people that aren't white are often of African, Asian, Hispanic descent, meaning they emigrated from very poor conditions or did not always have equal opportunities as white people. White people are generally thought of as having advantages, opportunities, and good stuff from the start. As opposed to an immigrant who may have had to work hard. What if there WAS a "well off" Asian or African teenager? We assume his family, if not him, worked hard to succeed in today's society. We assume that that teenager, as a result, does not expect, and is thankful for what he has.

Tek

It's annoying when I create the universe and bless people with success and someone non religious says something like "I achieved this all by myself." ** that. I worked my ** off to make this world and give you all the opportunities you have, why should you get the credit? It's not like, if you failed you'd say "I achieved this all by myself too."

God

In response to “It's annoying when I create the universe and...

That's clever. But when I fail, I always blame myself. Not God.

JimiHendrix JimiHendrix OP

In response to “That's clever. But when I fail, I always...

^ This. While there are many people who try to blame anyone/anything other than themselves for their failures, there are plenty of others who are quick (sometimes even too quick) to blame themselves.

a_fetus a_fetus

You should thank God for getting the POTD. At least since if any image of any kind of god didn't exist, this post wouldn't either. (troll)

Warshon Warshon

Why is it perfectly fine for atheists to push their lack of religion on me but I simply mention God and I'm trying to convert them?

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “Why is it perfectly fine for atheists to push...

Amirite is a website for arguments and debates. People, surprisingly enough, come here to argue and debate. So don't get mad when people are... yep, you guessed it, arguing and debating.

That is the whole point of this website: to see how many people agree with you and how many do not.

Anonymous

In response to “Amirite is a website for arguments and...

Arguing and debating are different from shoving your religion or lack thereof up someones ****

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “Arguing and debating are different from...

If you don't want opinions shoved up your ****, don't come to a website for opinions

Discord Discord

In response to “If you don't want opinions shoved up your...

I dont want religious opinions shoved up my ****. And this happens all thetime in real life too. I want a legitimate answer, not some bull shit "this is a website for opinions"

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “I dont want **religious** opinions shoved up...

People have freedom of speech. If you don't like what they're saying, ignore them or defend your belief.

Discord Discord

In response to “People have freedom of speech. If you don't...

But it's hypocritical to shove yours down my throat then get offended when I do the same.

pb55020 pb55020

In response to “But it's hypocritical to shove yours down my...

I don't get offended when you do it. Atheist or religious, no one should care if people are giving their opinions.

Discord Discord

Thats not directed at you specifically.

pb55020 pb55020

Wait, we're allowed to shove religious opinions up your **** now?

Neighbor Neighbor

In response to “Wait, we're allowed to shove religious...

Go for it. I couldn't care less

Discord Discord

I really hope not. Have you seen the list of all the gods Kash believes in? That would HURT!!

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

I agree that this is a website for arguing and debating, and it gets quite interesting when people do that intelligently. However, there is a difference between sharing you opinion and being downright insensitive and insulting (as some of the comments were). People have the right to be intolerant, but I don't think they should be crass.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

It also irks me a little bit when people who win American Idol or some awards show thank God in their speech. If there is a God, does he really give a **** whether or not you win Best New Artist? If he does, doesn't he need to sort out his priorities?

ForeverMarauder ForeverMarauder

In response to “It also irks me a little bit when people who...

This exactly was what some people pointed out in: http://amirite.net/694234

God didn't make the American Idol singer win. With their motivation and inspiration, they were able to win. They worked hard for it, no one else did it for them.

coolstory coolstory

Well, I personally believe that God does't cause bad things to happen. The Devil does. But God makes good things come out of the bad ones.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

In response to “Well, I personally believe that God does't...

That's exactly what the OP is objecting to: many religious people are all too eager to thank their god for everything good in their lives, but they'll blame anything but their god for evil. It just seems inconsistent.

a_fetus a_fetus

In response to “That's exactly what the OP is objecting to:...

Because he is NOT the cause of evil. Look, I could explain this until I am blue in the face, but you know what I'll be then? Blue in the face. You're not going to accept anything until you have an open mind and an open heart.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

Tim Tebow. Living proof that you will do best when you thank God.

okeydokey27

In response to “Tim Tebow. Living proof that you will do best...

Hey, guess who's not in the Superbowl this weekend?

YeahIAm

In response to “Hey, guess who's not in the Superbowl this...

YOUUU! :)
i am sorry to hear that my brother!

okeydokey27

His life is still blessed.

Anonymous

In response to “His life is still blessed.

You know's who's doing financially better than them? Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg, and Warren Buffet. In other words, atheists.

Your beliefs have no effect on your quality of life.

YeahIAm

(ono) ... Not this again.

coolstory coolstory

Most of the weird people at school are atheists. They do not know how to love or talk to people so your argument is pointless because you probably do not have anyone except God who will still love you after you wrote all of this.

Anonymous

In response to “Most of the weird people at school are...

... You have a small ****, don't you?

YeahIAm

In response to “... You have a small ****, don't you?

Thanks for confirming my post hahah

Anonymous

In response to “Thanks for confirming my post hahah

I didn't realize you were posting about your small **** size. But no problem.

YeahIAm

We really need another legendary POTD, like the one about the time macne. I can't be the only one who doesn't want to debate religion again on POTD.

Sean Sean

In response to “We really need another legendary POTD, like...

Not just on POTD, but in general really. It's getting SO old.

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

In response to “Not just on POTD, but in general really. It's...

I say POTD specifically because I see it as an award for a post that either has great comic value or provides an interesting topic for debate and discussion amongst the amirite? users. Something that is already as heated and controversial as religion doesn't need the special attention that being POTD gives it.

Sean Sean

In response to “I say POTD specifically because I see it as...

Good point. Think of a really great post and get POTD haha.

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

But that's exactly what God does...

TheMollifiedMiss TheMollifiedMiss

This post of the day is offensive. Even if you're not a Christian this should be offensive.....

adizzleshaw adizzleshaw

In response to “This post of the day is offensive. Even if...

I don't know about about the post, but a lot of the comments sure are offensive and extremely distasteful. Some posts sure bring out the ugly side of amirite.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

There is no ugly side of amirite. There is an ugly side of people. This creation of lines of code has nothing to do with it.

Tek

Clearly. It was not a literal statement. Amirite is largely fueled by its users, so when I say ugly side of amirite, I'm referring to user content. It's like the "weird part of Youtube." That is not to say that the website configuration is weird there, just certain user content.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

Maybe it's just because I didn't read through every comment, but why exactly does God owe us anything? The way I see it, humans have free will and therefore, we make our own decisions. God just gives us the will, means, and confidence to do whatever we please.

TheresAnAppForThat TheresAnAppForThat

So many logical fallacies in these comments...

Anonymous

Why do you all hate Zues?

JxKing52 JxKing52

How to get attention:

1) Make an unoriginal atheistic post.
2) Get lots of comments with back-and-forth arguing.
3) ??????
4) Profit!

Travis Travis

In response to “How to get attention: 1) Make an unoriginal...

The only reason I made this post is because this actually happened to me. But really, people like you are the one thing that **** annoys me most about amirite. You lack the intelligence to add anything meaningful to the debate, so you post some overused meme in a desperate attempt to be funny and score loves. It's just so pathetic.

JimiHendrix JimiHendrix OP

In response to “The only reason I made this post is because...

u mad? trolololol

Travis Travis

Watching you guys go back and forth is so entertaining. That's all I got out of this post.

Also, where the hell is the obligatory favvkes cat image

GryndStone GryndStone

It's nothing more than a confirmation bias. It's just like when people think the horoscope is "spot on" when it happens to match them that day, but they just ignore it when it's less accurate.

Logan Logan