Cpt_McMuffinMrCurtis01BoredofschoolSherlockedgoshXilianEmpiresEarthwormJimCuban_BKCmexicoWWWYKIWellYourCoolCowboyGirlabcdefghijklmnop1997MaryKateBurnettCanadiaNDPevan123meemer147Admiral_BeenaboomboomroomKaitlynKazzieGryffindor_PrincessShortstopmwdmelisophoclesUniversumSuzywaoLeonardodecafiamthewalrusjpn518B3CKVH

DurzoBlintheetheboboPurple_CowAstronaut_WillGolfWangCaerwynCaptainPirateJavvieMeapsaxybandgeekTetotaybudgerigar42Bun10HopeImrite_Ashlie_GinevraAllyKatSeanginnypotter93RunyeldoritorlycoolguyStealthAppleHappyTheCatalystGryndStoneDrewtlivelovemusic12StickCavemanlucichgoodtimeDinosaursmonstrosityTapeLkunMeaganpika_kesBrianHjustwondering28Stepharoo_Mike_Mauromakeup_nerddiddyphoneSetUp4SarcasmPinsAndNeedlesx2502manmchalla3j3llomas3r21Sonkurra

evan123
You shouldn't say you support the death penalty unless you'd be willing to carry out the executions, amirite?

I'm against the Death Penalty but this is dumb.

Astronaut_Will Astronaut_Will

Astronaut_Will Astronaut_Will

In response to “I'm against the Death Penalty but this is dumb.

I respect your opinion, and I don't have a problem if you disagree, but would you mind explaining why you think my post is dumb?

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP

In response to “I respect your opinion, and I don't have a...

Because I'm pro choice but would never make a woman have an abortion. I don't see why someone for the death penalty should need to be able to pull the lever themselves.

Astronaut_Will Astronaut_Will

In response to “Because I'm pro choice but would never make a...

It's not really that they should be able to, it's that they should be willing to go through the same mental pain that they are putting executioners through by supporting the death penalty. And for the pro-choice comparison, it would be more like being the doctor carrying out the abortion than making a woman go through with it (I myself am pro-choice and would rather not start an argument about that though).

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP

I think you missed the point of being pro choice. It doesn't necessarily mean you even support abortion, but you believe people should have a right to choose what to do.

SemiColin SemiColin

That's like saying just because you want to eat meat, you have to kill it yourself

saxybandgeek saxybandgeek

In response to “That's like saying just because you want to...

If we ate human beings, then I could understand that. But what someone goes through killing a cow so someone else can eat a hamburger is nothing compared to what executioners go through. Say what you want, it doesn't matter to me. I stated my opinion and don't care about the post's score or anyone's comments.

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP

In response to “If we ate human beings, then I could...

Either way, you're ending a life for the betterment of other humans. Sounds similar to me

saxybandgeek saxybandgeek

I'm pro choice, but I would never get an abortion myself.

ginnypotter93 ginnypotter93

In response to “I'm pro choice, but I would never get an...

It would be more like being the doctor carrying out the abortion than the woman getting it.

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP

In response to “It would be more like being the doctor...

Then shouldn't your post say not to become an executioner if you're not willing to execute people yourself?

ginnypotter93 ginnypotter93

In response to “Then shouldn't your post say not to become an...

I'm not sure you completely understand. By supporting the death penalty, you would be putting executioners through mental pain that comes from, for lack of a better way to say it, killing people. My post is sort of saying that if you support the death penalty but wouldn't want to go through that same pain, you're being hypocritical. I am against the death penalty for multiple reasons other than just this one though.

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP

In response to “I'm not sure you completely understand. By...

Nobody can force somebody to be an executioner if they don't want to be. And that's like saying it's hypocritical to support medical care if you're too squeamish to be a doctor yourself.

ginnypotter93 ginnypotter93

I would never join the police force, but that doesn't mean I don't support people who did wrong getting arrested.

Tape Tape

Oh, so, if I eat meat I should be willing to kill it myself? What a sophism.

Anonymous

In response to “Oh, so, if I eat meat I should be willing to...

Either you need to read the post again, or explain hat you just said. And I don't see how this is anything like a sophism.....

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP

Just wondering, do you personally know an executioner?

kmarshall

Have you been talking to Ned Stark lately?

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “Have you been talking to Ned Stark lately?

Never heard of him.

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP

In response to “Never heard of him.

Hmm...
He's a character in A Game of Thrones, and he has a quote that is pretty much the same as this.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “Hmm... He's a character in A Game of Thrones...

Interesting. My post is inspired by something I heard my sister say while writing an essay on what it means to be hypocritical.

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin OP