Rock17chiddybangMrCurtis01Tardisblue98boomboomroomWunderscoreOFWGKTAFyre_ArroBun10jjfatty517BuddyCakesAstronaut_WillClay_TurtleJuliafacelilalaloveallCowboyGirlLamWinhpistheshitSam1721RunySuperhippoImayormaynotexistItsPreeGoodlucichaoife_123remagsilvershadow6TheCatalystUpandAdamalittleroisingoodtimeMusicianOfExtremesBellaGrace1003pokerface111peace_love_happinessLuseroofaithnamedmesamiisawesomeirod007CaerwynKatieerMartellusBosshattrick36runnerdudeCanadian_NinjarubienicoleMj1996Shortyshuffle

kitkatcasperLoganCedzArnoldVanDerWaltNacklefoodlelanaHullabalooRainbootsSergWatermelonsansaHannyAxolotl

Sarwat
You are glad that english was your first language, since it is the most confusing of all languages. amirite?

Being bi-lingual I can assure you that English is far from confusing compared to other languages.

ebnation

ebnation

In response to “Being bi-lingual I can assure you that...

Also being bilingual, I disagree. I definitely think English is up there in complexity for learning, especially when compared to other languages with Latin alphabets.

Perpetual Perpetual

I think I'm learning Spanish faster than I learned English

Fyre_Arro Fyre_Arro

I've heard that Icelandic is very difficult to learn, because of the tricky pronunciations and spellings, and apparently the grammar is very complicated too.
Also, I am learning French, and when it comes to verbs and their different forms, I suddenly realise how complicated it must be to learn English, because in French, there are -er, -ir, and -re verbs that all behave a certain way, along with a few irregular verbs, which are more tricky. It's hard enough remembering all the irregular verbs (there aren't that many) in French, so in English, where pretty much every verb is irregular, it must be a nightmare to learn as a second language.

Anonymous

Come Iearn Afrikaans. We have doubIe negatives that don't change it to possitives.

Deathelf Deathelf

In response to “Come Iearn Afrikaans. We have doubIe...

Please do explain - I am curious!

dzmax

In response to “Please do explain - I am curious!

ExampIe: I don't Iike peas. TransIates to: Ek hou nie(I don't) van ertjies nie (not). So: I don't not Iike peas, but it means that I don't Iike peas. It's one of the parts EngIish peopIe struggIe with.

Deathelf Deathelf

In response to “ExampIe: I don't Iike peas. TransIates to: Ek...

I can see why... So if you were to omit the words that translate to 'not', would the statement have a different meaning?

dzmax

In response to “I can see why... So if you were to omit the...

(dzmax):Nope, but it's not the correct way and it sounds weird when peopIe taIk thay way. There are other things that peopIe say they struggIe with, but that's the main one.

Deathelf Deathelf

English is the simplest language I've ever seen.

Then again, my first language is Greek and I've been learning Ancient Greek for years.

Alexus Alexus

One thing that makes English hard is that we have so many words that have different meanings (but are the same word), and we also have so many words that mean the same thing. But I don't know if it's the hardest language because the only other languages I've tried learning are German and Spanish.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

I say english is high on the list of hardest languages, but it is below most of the languages with completely different characters.

greatrande greatrande

It depends on what your native language is. For those who speak germanic languages, English is pretty easy to learn. It's definitely not 'the most confusing of all languages', though.

Anonymous

Part of what makes English difficult is its inconsistent pronunciation. Words like "flood", "hood", and "food". This kind of thing is uncommon in the world's languages. So are words spelled the same and pronounced differently, like "bow" and "bow" or "read" and "read".

English is also complicated because it has so many irregular verbs beyond the standard irregulars (like "go" and "be"): "sing", "grow", "shine", "ride", "stick", "drink", etc.

But English has no noun cases, no subjunctive (almost), very few inflections, no tones, etc. Languages usually even out in terms of complexity. And English would seem easier to learn from someone who spoke Dutch or German, but it might be pretty hard to learn from Japanese or Yoruba.

Logan Logan

My first language was Spanish. Its what my parents spoke.
But i dont think English is that confusing.
i find french a bit difficult. But languages closer to spanish are easier, like portuguese and italian.

PepeDawgg PepeDawgg

In response to “My first language was Spanish. Its what my...

French is very close to Spanish

itube itube

In response to “French is very close to Spanish

Not as close as portuguese, imo.

PepeDawgg PepeDawgg

I'm glad I know English because it's the international language, not because I think it's confusing

itube itube

my first language is dutch, and i kinda speak english.
but it's definately waaaay easier than french

Anonymous