Sex_With_A_SnailsarahlovelyHelveticabunadvenger32pointlessTruuninjaMaximumnerdLuseroocoolstorycheshire_catSnobbyDrugAddictSupermannnNinjaKittenAnchored17TRecksThatIsSoFetchevan123Puroboricua13MrBreeeezyusernamehelplanaJuliafaceAdonisBatheusBrambleclaw8NeonRainbowTardisblue98Nikola_Goddamn_TeslaCanadiaNDPlilobamaaquanut12WynautrewindthissongremagRachelNSonkurrarazorsoftBun10Suzywaocremep0psAmINotRightMoretotheeyeRenatejenferisjapaneezDestructiveMuffinirod007BlucattAstronaut_WilleldoritoBlake11roysdehpedro

Kalopsiaarchangel101totallyawesomegingerFanaticSergSpearmintMilkCRRaysHead90CowboyGirlBlueJayWayHenryUngDevilishEggthatguysMj1996runnerdudepersonThingyBuddyCakesMontanaSquafflemuffinmonkeyStepharoodorkattackInu_chanstacysmomWinniethePoohmchalla3DeeCandelariaUzumaki_Narutox2502mancanadianigloosmakeup_nerdMarySkjetchSome_Dudeplano98peace_love_happinesswhisperedtouchesRainbootsSaadiyahcherryblastershadowmario580Danielaelmo123saywhensmile_be_happy99KaitlynExploding_ChickensTurtleMoosraburntbreadimriterite

lanaSupermannn
In a perfect world there would be no Atheist, Christians, Hindus, or any other category for beliefs amirite?

No. I a perfect world you could believe what you wish, but get along with others, and not be judged, or discriminated against for such.

Mcflydougie

Then what's the point of life?

archangel101

In response to “Then what's the point of life?

To experience the Universe.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

finally someone said it! i applaud you

Anonymous

Mcflydougie

In response to “No. I a perfect world you could believe what...

yeah, this is the "ideal behavior" you're supposed to have around religious people right? be open-minded and whatever to all sorts of people? But what if...what they say is just sheer ignorance. Do we just then accept their argument while fully aware of how irrational it is? you might say "ooh who are you to say what's right and what's wrong?" but "what you believe in".... that is really ambiguous and can be used to justify irrational claims.

I've been watching a lot of Ricard Dawkins (an athiest) and his debates. this woman kept repeating "it's what I believe, it's what I believe, I believe that..."

and then that totally justifies her **** argument. Only in religion.

That's like seeing "I interpret the world through the lens of the bible while you interpret the world through the lens of evolution" no, that doesn't make sense. Evolution has evidence, no matter how repeated this claim is, it's true.

I feel like religion is now....becoming a burden crippling the desire for knowledge...the universe doesn't owe you "hope" so why cling on the illusion of an afterlife.

TalkingRice TalkingRice

In response to “yeah, this is the "ideal behavior"...

How can you claim that science is more rational than religion? Science today is claimed to be based on logic and reasoning, yet so was science 2000 years ago, and look what we think of that today.

"The more carefully they [scientific historians] study, say, Aristotelian dynamics, phlogistic chemistry, or caloric thermodynamics, the more certain they feel that those once current views of nature were, as a whole, neither less scientific nor more the product of human idiosyncrasy than those current today."

Kuhn, Thomas S. (2010). The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (p. 2). University of Chicago Press - A. Kindle Edition.

(This argument against the rationality of science isn't necessarily my opinion, mainly because I don't believe myself to be informed enough on the subject to form one, but it is one that has a legitimate basis and should be brought up in a conversation like this)

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “How can you claim that science is more...

Science changes dramatically over time. We find new evidence to change our perception of the Universe. Religion changes to fit the lifestyle of the the people who follow it.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “Science changes dramatically over time. We...

Thomas Kuhn argues that during scientific revolutions, the ideas that win out are the ones with the loudest supporters. How does that make it any better than religion?

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “Thomas Kuhn argues that during scientific...

The loudest supporters usually have more evidence to support their claims, that's why they win out. Religion has no evidence to prove it besides a book written two thousand years ago.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “The loudest supporters usually have more...

Unfortunately, I haven't read Kuhn's book so I don't know how he backed up that claim. Also, while Christian faith is based rather heavily on the Bible, there are many philosophical arguments for the existence of God. Again, I do not know what these arguments are.

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “Unfortunately, I haven't read Kuhn's book so...

The thing about philosophy is that it can change from person to person. Science only changes when new evidence is discovered.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

No, what I meant with science being "right" is that it has the evidence to back it up while religion revolves mostly around "I believe..."
that's what I meant or else where would be the boundary be between right or wrong?

TalkingRice TalkingRice

In response to “No, what I meant with science being...

here's the thing though. philisophical arguments for god have quite a bit of merit to me. where did this universe come from? how did the big bang theory happen? there are a lot of questions like that that are pretty hard to answer

Anonymous

In response to “here's the thing though. philisophical...

You're right they are very difficult to answer. But like I keep saying, instead of attributing these things to "god" why not continue researching and studying these ideas so one day we will know.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

That would never happen. Everyone's going to believe in something and there will always be people that disagree

Fanatic

In response to “That would never happen. Everyone's going to...

That's why he said "In a perfect world".

Anonymous

In response to “That's why he said "In a perfect world".

But that means that nobody would have opinions. That doesn't sound like a perfect world at all

Fanatic

In response to “But that means that nobody would have...

No, everyone would have their own, they'd just respect the opinions of others!

Mcflydougie

Or humans at all.

Truuninja Truuninja

I can't get over that you mentioned Hinduism... that's usually the forgotten religion when people go on religious rants...

Anonymous

In response to “I can't get over that you mentioned...

I am Hindu and generally we are very peaceful and tolerate of other religions. I don't get why people would ever pick on it OR Buddhism for that matter

mchalla3 mchalla3

In response to “I am Hindu and generally we are very peaceful...

Because Hindus and Buddhist still belief in some magical property so I have no respect for them either. I don't care how peaceful they are.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “Because Hindus and Buddhist still belief in...

A lot of Buddhists are atheists. And you don't have any respect for all religious people?

hahaimright

In response to “A lot of Buddhists are atheists. And you...

I don't respect people who ignore logic and fill the blanks in with magic.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “I don't respect people who ignore logic and...

The fact is that you can't disprove that god exists either. Neither can religious people prove that there is a god.

hahaimright

In response to “The fact is that you can't disprove that god...

You're right I can't disprove a deity. But I can prove science with evidence. That is the line between logical thinking and cults.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “You're right I can't disprove a deity. But I...

I don't think I really understand what your saying.

hahaimright

In response to “I don't think I really understand what your...

I said you're right I can not disprove someone's imaginary friend. But I can prove science with evidence and test.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “I said you're right I can not disprove...

What does science have to do with it though?

hahaimright

I don't know about the Abrahamic Faiths, but I know for a goddamn FACT that Hinduism and Buddhism and Sikhism and that general ballpark is not a cult.

mchalla3 mchalla3

It is your kind of thinking that has caused generations of wars over religion. "I don't respect you because you don't have the same belief as me." Is what you are saying. All you are doing is having people think "wow what a ****."

mchalla3 mchalla3

In response to “It is your kind of thinking that has caused...

I'd rather be a **** than a religious zealot.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “I'd rather be a **** than a religious zealot.

I am not asking you to be religious. I am saying to respect others beliefs. I am kinda religious, but I know that there are athiests and I respect their beliefs. I do not insult their beliefs even though i have different views. Its basic courtesy. Kindergarten rules still apply.

mchalla3 mchalla3

Buddhism is finding the meaning of life and peace within yourself. There is no God. Just basically meditating and finding an answer to life.

mchalla3 mchalla3

It wouldn't be a perfect world to everyone because everyone has different views of thinking and if they were suddenly forced to change they would be happy. Also, there are people that devote their lives to religion like nuns or monks, so if religion suddenly disappears what would they do?

Anonymous

Anonymous

So in a perfect world there would be no religious people and no non-religious people?

personThingy

In response to “So in a perfect world there would be no...

Pretty much that the concept of atheism and theism never existed.

mchalla3 mchalla3

In response to “Pretty much that the concept of atheism and...

That just means everyone would be atheist, but the post says there are no atheists either.
They wouldn't be called atheists because everyone would be, but they would still be atheists.

personThingy

In response to “That just means everyone would be atheist...

Then we'd all just be humans who follow logic.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “Then we'd all just be humans who follow logic.

Explain this logic to me.

personThingy

In response to “Explain this logic to me.

Science.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “Science.

That's not an explanation. Explain what scientific data proves that the universe could not have been intentionally created.

personThingy

In response to “That's not an explanation. Explain what...

That's what we don't know.... that's like saying "tell me what is dark matter"...

and that's the one thing religious people cling on as the evidence of a God.

TalkingRice TalkingRice

In response to “That's what we don't know.... that's like...

I'm not defending anyone who claims there is evidence of God's existence, but SomeDude just said there was evidence, and now you both agree that you don't know what it is.

personThingy

In response to “I'm not defending anyone who claims there is...

"but SomeDude just said there was evidence..."
Are you implying I said there is evidence for god or evidence for science?

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “"but SomeDude just said there was...

I meant you said you have evidence for the lack of a God.
Technically you said logic, not evidence, but either way I don't see it in this thread.

personThingy

I couldn't tell you. No one can, at the moment. Instead of saying god did it why not question why we're here?

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “I couldn't tell you. No one can, at the...

So nobody can prove there is no God, but you insist on believing it anyway, and saying that everyone else is wrong.

Remind you of someone?

What do you mean "why we're here?" If there is no higher power that created us, then we're here by accident, and that's the end of it.

personThingy

In response to “So nobody can prove there is no God, but you...

Let me rephrase "why we're here". How about "how we came to be".

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “Let me rephrase "why we're here". How...

I assumed you would know how we came to be better than I do. We started as single cell organisms, then we mutated and became more complex life forms like fish, then we eventually grew legs and started living on land, then someone got the idea of using 2 legs instead of 4, and now here we are. Or something. I'm not about to do any research. Still, the only thing we don't know about how we got here is whether or not it was caused by someone (and if so, then by whom), which is a matter of belief.
Why do I have to ask about this instead of "saying God did it?" Just because I believe the universe was created by God doesn't mean I'm not interested in how he did it.

personThingy

Youre being just as annoying and disrespectful as stupid Christians. Don't put yourself on a **** pedestal just because you don't believe in a higher power.

mchalla3 mchalla3

In response to “Youre being just as annoying and...

I'll put myself on any goddamn pedestal I want.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

In response to “I'll put myself on any goddamn pedestal I want.

then you're no better than the KKK who speak of white supremacy.

TalkingRice TalkingRice

In response to “**** given - 0

ok. good day to you. you just seem like an immature douchebag right now.

I was actually agreeing with you, you know that right. (except for the pedestal comment) because that was just really unnecessary.

TalkingRice TalkingRice

I find it ironic that this post is a belief.

shingro

But then there would be no one to make fun of...

StealthApple StealthApple

In response to “But then there would be no one to make fun of...

I think I just lost a large sum of respect for you.

mchalla3 mchalla3

Anonymous

Go live in Ingsoc then.

Anonymous

Really? Just, wow. really?

Some_Dude Some_Dude

In response to “Really? Just, wow. really?

Woah man. We got an issue here.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

This reminds me of imagine by John Lennon

Juliaface

That would make everyone atheist.

AntiJokeChicken AntiJokeChicken

No, in a perfect world, there would be impartial tolerance for every religious belief. That's like saying racism would be solved if there was no race. Diversity makes for a more interesting world. A perfect world would be one of individuals with varying cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds as well as mutual respect and acceptance for one another.

TheRagingDilemma TheRagingDilemma

In response to “No, in a perfect world, there would be...

Everyone has a different definition of perfect.

Sex_With_A_Snail Sex_With_A_Snail OP

Atheism isn't a belief, but rather a lack of a certain belief, right?

Anonymous

In response to “Atheism isn't a belief, but rather a lack of...

Atheism is the belief (and I stress the word BELIEF) that there is no God, Gods, or any other deities.

Anonymous

In response to “Atheism is the belief (and I stress the word...

But a world where nobody would believed in any religion would mean everyone is atheist, isn't that right?

Anonymous

Continue