Parents shouldn't try to make their kids stop liking things due to the kid's gender, <strong>amirite?</strong>

• Topics:ChildhoodLife
  • Featured on the home page on Apr 1st 2012
  • Post Of The Day on Apr 17th 2012

mashDanielJamesPopsicleStickBizarreoneDryTurtleActionManFavvkesTheBlindManFrostehhSconesImayormaynotexistrosi3sarahlovelyMollieeeJudyIsRightHidingSecretsGargleMyNarglesJokerStatefarmSuzywaoejayemakeup_nerdremagSoyChelseaBoufakagoodtimealidoodle23sb123_Jojo_NinjaKittenjaydakinssscheshire_catinsert_usernameOrange_RadishRoySpearmintMilksilvershadow6JessiSledgeBlacklightsAndQueensBun10TheGirlWhoWasOnFireOkNowErinAwkwardMoments1SnorcackleKateRunyCaitlinlucich

x2502manpantherfanatic0___0__0___0SergBigTRexJennitaliadouloureuxDrewtGlishiousswimlaxCourage_WolfgkoulWinniethePoohRileyTheBearLoveIsTheMovementLive4MusicSexySillikMeandmycatdanieljc2008JavviePugorange926ArneGoeteynSam1721PeruvianPrincessNick12092shmadDwightTheWeaselrawlssamanthaAnonymousmouse

AnthonyCrackTheShuttersnomnomnomnomawesomesocksEmyJokerPurpleMonkeysgeneDeathbubbleSledgedorkattackKatjazzBoufakaApple_PieActionManPeppergirl14clmsycatastrphe7MsVerbalVomitTalkingRiceSpearmintMilkirod007Montanakingfor_besitosTheObliviousPandaMadisonRunyYour_StalkermashOozyRatLauraHernandezrockstarrukiacoolstoryMeganlovesherboobiesCuban_Bpk88fanBlucattsb123mashmallow515cremep0pstheycallmereemaSuzywaoejayelolgirlBun10Purple_CowINomOnBabiesChouThatCrayCrayGirlParrocchettoLen
Parents shouldn't try to make their kids stop liking things due to the kid's gender, amirite?

As long as you don't have the parents who practically force girly stuff on their sons or manly stuff on their girls just so they don't "conform to gender roles." If your daughter wants a freaking easy-bake oven for Christmas, get her the freaking oven, not a stupid Power Ranger she doesn't want.

fangirl12 fangirl12

Cool post, but what's the girl holding?

ActionMan

In response to “Cool post, but what's the girl holding?

A lobster is my guess

DryTurtle DryTurtle

In response to “A lobster is my guess

girls can like lobsters too ;__;

mash mash OP

In response to “girls can like lobsters too ;__;

I didn't say that it made sense lol

DryTurtle DryTurtle

In response to “I didn't say that it made sense lol

haha I know, it made me laugh though :D

mash mash OP

haha I was just about to add that in the comments. It's supposed to be a toy wrench. Trust me, my attempts at a toy car and hammer were worse. I was also going to add that I had to start this over because firefox crashed when I was almost done and I was pissed off :I

mash mash OP

In response to “haha I was just about to add that in the...

Ah, that's what I thought it was. Haha oh man, that would have been annoying. I've spent far too much time on a couple of my drawings today. I would have had a breakdown if they didn't post.

ActionMan

Looks like a fish.

silvershadow6 silvershadow6

This is funny because originally pink was a boy color and blue was a girl color

Juliaface

In response to “This is funny because originally pink was a...

And all babies wore dresses.

Suzywao Suzywao

And then Hitler happened . . .

AwkwardMoments1 AwkwardMoments1

In response to “And then Hitler happened . . .

Gee, thanks for the awkward moment. (d)

TheObliviousPanda

I dont know if you were sarcastic or not, but the pink/blue gender correspondence did change around the time of Hitler

sb123

In response to “I dont know if you were sarcastic or not...

Are the two things related? I've never read up on Hitler so I have no idea if forcing Aryan boys to wear blue was one of his kinky fetishes.

dzmax

No, I was serious! We talked about it last year in AP Euro. If I remember correctly, he did it mostly to degrade homosexuals. ("Pink is a girls color now, and gays have to wear pink! Take that!")

AwkwardMoments1 AwkwardMoments1

I love this so much, I'm sorry that you had trouble and it didn't go through the first time. I'm sure we lost some enthusiasm. But still, fantastic post, and illustration, and thought. :)

Suzywao Suzywao

In response to “I love this so much, I'm sorry that you had...

...Wow, thanks very much! I'm really flattered by this comment haha. It was a little frustrating to redo it, but I think the spacing turned out better in this version, so it doesn't bother me greatly. Thanks again! :D

mash mash OP

I love this post so much. I have no idea why people still find this a difficult concept to grasp! :)

Chou

In response to “I love this post so much. I have no idea why...

The thing the girl's holding looks pretty difficult to grasp
Ha ha.
No?
I'll go sleep then.

Francois Francois

In response to “The thing the girl's holding looks pretty...

The girl seems to be firmly grasping it with her hand efficiently enough.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4HH5K_LY6M

I knew somebody would catch that!

StickCaveman StickCaveman

hehe, the audio sounds funny if you look at it in a certain way.

Firmly grasp it in your hand. FIRMLY grasp it. FIRMLY GRASP IT!!! ...That ought to do it.

Gambiteer Gambiteer

boy should be holding a pony...

th3don th3don

In response to “boy should be holding a pony...

the point is that a boy can hold whatever the hell he wants to hold he doesn't have to fit in the stereotypes

Cgymnast7 Cgymnast7

In response to “the point is that a boy can hold whatever the...

The point is that a boy can hold a *

I know that's what you were saying.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

When commercials for male-oriented toys came on, I immediately thought "I'm not supposed to ask for that, that's for boys" even though I wanted some of them really bad.

I appreciate this post a lot because it encourages self expression from an early age, props! :)

Montana Montana

In response to “When commercials for male-oriented toys came...

My mom can be strict,
But is very accepting
For which I'm thankful.

Wow. What an awesome haiku.

Anonymous

In response to “My mom can be strict, But is very...

That was a pretty good haiku.

Montana Montana

In response to “That **was** a pretty good haiku.

I'm glad you liked it;
It took about two minutes
Because I'm awesome.

On a roll today.

Anonymous

In response to “I'm glad you liked it; It took about two...

On a roll today
Making awesome haikus on
The Post of the Day

And it rhymes, oh snap!

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “On a roll today Making awesome haikus on The...

But you made day rhyme with day... I hardly think that counts

Anonymous

In response to “But you made day rhyme with day... I hardly...

A rhyme is a rhyme
Even if it is with "day"
You'll learn it in time.

Anonymous

i thought a haiku was 575.

th3don th3don

In response to “i thought a haiku was 575.

it is 5 syllables 7 syllables 5 syllables

rrw070193

That was correct then;
I used the correct pattern
Just as I was taught.

Anonymous

In response to “That was correct then; I used the correct...

You guys are retards
Haikus are for big douchebags
Oh shit this is one

amiritesucksnow amiritesucksnow

In response to “You guys are retards Haikus are for big...

Hahahahaha
That was very funny, mutt
You're a big dog now.

Anonymous

I felt the same way about anime because when I was a kid I saw them as "boy shows" so I thought I shouldn't like them. Especially when Naruto first came out, even though I hadn't see any episodes yet.

fangirl12 fangirl12

Oh, glad you like it! I did something sort of similar in that if something was very girly and pink I wouldn't ask for it (even if I wanted it) because it was assumed I'd like that stuff.

mash mash OP

fangirl12 fangirl12

In response to “As long as you don't have the parents who...

This reminds me about a yahoo! article that was about a boy who was raised gender neutral. The parents let him wear pink-sparkly things but banned black with skulls because it was "too masculine."

What annoys me is that, now that I am in college, I have friends who are all about "not conforming to gender roles" and someone who does that is seen as better than someone who does not. You should do what makes you happy and not try to end gender roles for the sake of making a point or try to force yourself to adapt to a stereotype that you would be unhappy in. This is coming from a guy who's favorite show is "Project Runway."

-- Pointless rant over. I'm really sorry...

Lkun Lkun

In response to “This reminds me about a yahoo! article that...

How is banning masculine things gender nuetral?

People should like what they like, not be gender hipsters.

fangirl12 fangirl12

In response to “How is banning masculine things gender...

Beats me... I'll try to find the article.

That's what bothered me about it. I can't tell you how to raise your child, but don't parade your ulterior motives around as something that they are not.

Lkun Lkun

My mom had a friend when she was a kid, and she said her mother was very insistent on her daughters being different. Like, she wanted them to join boyscouts and got them unicycles instead of bikes.
I feel like if they want to learn to ride a unicycle, they can, but you don't want to force them into being interesting. What if they turned out really shy and hated that everyone thought they were different? And in my experience most girls would not like to join boy scouts.

sighcantthinkofaname

They look like they're making eyes at each other (hello)

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “They look like they're making eyes at each...

You're one of those people who ships everything, aren't you?

fangirl12 fangirl12

In response to “You're one of those people who ships...

....mehbeh (wary)

Favvkes Favvkes

This reminded me of the parents who tried to raise a genderless baby, to "stop it being affected by the social norms" and let it play with/wear whatever it wanted. But I think that's taking it way too far.

Cedz Cedz

In response to “This reminded me of the parents who tried to...

Which party specifically was taking it too far in your opinion?

Suzywao Suzywao

In response to “Which party specifically was taking it too...

I think the parents thought it was better not having society force the child to behave in a way that was considered "normal", but they themselves are forcing the child to be something that they are not, by not having a gender, as the child is too young to decide for themselves. In my opinion, your gender is a very big part of your identity, and the parents are being extreme by removing it altogether. I see where they're coming from as the idea of the child not having to worry about whether playing with dolls seemed too "girly" or playing football was "too much of a boy thing" is actually good in principle, but the way they went about it was taking it too far.

Okay this may not actually be related to the post any more because I'm getting myself confused now but yeah...

Cedz Cedz

Oh, yeah. Are you talking about baby "Storm"? They even dress the baby's brothers like girls. Personally, I think it's really dumb what his/her parents are doing. They're basically treating their child as a social experiment.

Like, trying to influence them to be the other way is actually worse than trying to influence them to conform. Neither one gives the child much choice, but going by the typical gender norms is at least considered more neutral and won't cause them as much social grief, and they'd be able to adopt the interests they desire later on without looking back in confusion.

I think the best way to go would be to give a child options and then let them develop their own interests based on what they seem interested in and just encourage them from there, rather than pushing them one way or the other.

Chances are they will more often take interest in things attributed to their gender, because of marketing, but at least it will feel like their choice and with the liberty they won't shun things typically attributed to the opposite gender if it is what they prefer.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Oh, yeah. Are you talking about baby...

I agree with most of what you said, however I believe the brother you are referring to preferred dressed over pants.

Suzywao Suzywao

In response to “Dresses*

Oh, perhaps. In that case, it's different. I just saw some pictures with him in braids and I assumed that his parents encouraged that. However, if he took interest in these things first without his parents interfering and they simply supported him, then that's good.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

I completely agree. Also I was actually thinking about this story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news...ild-Sasha.html

I had forgotten about Storm.

Cedz Cedz

In response to “I completely agree. Also I was actually...

I disagree with this extremeness because it seems damaging to the child's identity, but I wonder how the children will be as adults and what they'll say about their upbringing. Maybe it is more beneficial? Or maybe the children will disagree with it as well?

I think it's weird though that by "gender neutral" they mean more characteristics of the opposite ****.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

They're dressed like they're from the 50's

In response to “They're dressed like they're from the 50's

Not really. Maybe the most "out-of-date" thing is the girl's bow, that's it.

boxtop

In response to “http://ctrlv.in/79639

Buck yeah.

Big_Boss Big_Boss

In response to “http://ctrlv.in/79639

Cider for everyone!

OnePenguin OnePenguin

In response to “Cider for everyone!

*everypony

Big_Boss Big_Boss

Is the girl holding a tempura shrimp?

TheRagingDilemma TheRagingDilemma

I always played with hot wheels and played cops and robbers outside with the neighborhood boys and did other things that was generally socially acceptable for guys. Everyone just figured that I was a lesbian... (cry2)

TheObliviousPanda

In response to “I always played with hot wheels and played...

It's ok. Everyone thinks I'm a lesbian because I don't wear makeup or jump, scream, and flap my hands all at the same time when I'm excited.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “It's ok. Everyone thinks I'm a lesbian...

Loool, don't worry you're not alone. I don't really wear make-up, maybe like three times a year. And when I get excited, I just smile. :)

TheObliviousPanda

I know that feel. I mean I make out with a girl once, and everyone thinks i'm a lesbian.

razorsoft razorsoft

For a second I thought drawing posts were back...

itube itube

In response to “For a second I thought drawing posts were back...

It was taken down because Ant wanted to tweak it. It's coming back.

SuperFastJellyFish SuperFastJellyFish

...but boys still have to dress like boys and girls should still have to dress like girls. Otherwise, I'll be calling chicks "sir."

eldorito

In response to “but boys still have to dress like boys and...

If you listen closely, you can just barely make out the sound of the point going right over your head.

Anonymous

In response to “If you listen closely, you can just barely...

...Well, as long a bitches don't mind being called "sir" on accident.

eldorito

That is, unless you can think of a gender neutral word, or not be stupid enough to mistake them for a different gender.

Anonymous

In response to “That is, unless you can think of a gender...

Good idea. I'll just stare at the person's chest. If I see ****, it's a girl. If not, it's a boy. And if I can't tell, I'll just call the person "sir or madam." That won't be offensive at all.

eldorito

*points at profile picture*

Nobody gets to decide the type of television I watch.

Big_Boss Big_Boss

In response to “*points at profile picture* Nobody gets to...

It doubles the fun

OnePenguin OnePenguin

:)

I got an EasyBake oven for my 6th birthday and I loved it. :P Girls get to make sweets and boys are stuck with plastic action figures? No fair :P Of course, I liked plastic action figures too...

Logan Logan

In response to “:) I got an EasyBake oven for my 6th...

You could always melt the action figures in the oven. I feel like this is really masochistic due to my username. (hmm)

ActionMan

I read '6th' as '65th' and had to read it like, four times before I got it...

MacaroniSalad MacaroniSalad

Am I the only one who thinks that the girl looks like Rumia from touhou?
but that would mean that she's actually holding a severed limb... *shudder*

Lkun Lkun

When my sister started noticing that I like guy stuff more than girly things, she thought I was a lesbian.

ShannonIsAUnicorn ShannonIsAUnicorn

Though I don't think there'll be many people seeing this since the post is kind of old now, I saw this the other day and decided to put it here:
http://youtu.be/MFn81_HAvWg

mash mash OP