CherryBlossomTardisblue98McflydougiesarahlovelyHelveticabunEustacemakeup_nerdmashmallow515SnobbyDrugAddictLaughing_sporkAllyKat_Jojo_runnerdudeMeapAmarayyyThisBlackChicksilvershadow6AyAmRightBellaGrace1003ellephaba101Ohhhnapplano98BlacklightsAndQueensIzualidoodle23lemonbarrBrambleclaw8Bananas11BoufakaBellaDoloreKazzieMontanaSobriquetcuzimasherpaPurpleGumDropMasterJCassandraRainbootsmiddleseisLegalAlienalittleroisinlexaluffpeace_love_happinesssighcantthinkofanamelana_banana_nanaEvanhaubnercheshire_catRidgex2502manflapjacklux

mchalla3clsconroyArneGoeteynCharliiIsWatchingYou

AyAmRightRasiluvhockeypokerface111SledgeEmperorerrorilikefurrywolves4815Runyfj95LuigiTimerminaSuzywaoBun10
It's really weird to think that if two identical twin brothers each married identical twin sisters, their offspring would be as genetically similar as siblings, not cousins, amirite?

There was an issue of National Geographic recently that was about twins. It was the coolest thing I've ever read. One of the pictures had 2 sets of identical twins who got married and each had a kid. Their kids looked like twins too! It was so interesting!

Cassandra Cassandra

What kind of witchcraft is this?

Meap Meap

Cassandra Cassandra

In response to “There was an issue of National Geographic...

I remember that article! It was quite the hit in my family, as my twin and I reminisced about the days when we planned how we would fall in love with identical twin boys, marry, and have identical twin children. Good times, good times.

Aliyah K.

In response to “I remember that article! It was quite the hit...

That's awesome! It would be pretty cool to go around in a bug group of people that look almost exactly the same if not complete copies of each other.

Cassandra Cassandra

Can you post a link? C:

Izu Izu

In response to “Can you post a link? C:

Here ya go!

Cassandra Cassandra

What if they both had identical twins?
O_o

i_am_boreeeed

In response to “What if they both had identical twins? O_o

Unless there was some massive freak of nature, the actual siblings would obviously be identical but the cousins would still just be genetically siblings. Still creepy.

Suzywao Suzywao

no they wouldn't because their genes would come from their grandparents as well, and the genes they got from their grandparents would be different.

clsconroy

In response to “no they wouldn't because their genes would...

Not sure if trolling or serious

Suzywao Suzywao

Identical twins have the same genes for both the dominant and recessive genes. And twins have the same parents and grandparents, sooo....

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom OP

Clsconroy is right. The grandparents genes are also passed on. Also, crossing over, independant assortment & random fusion of gametes during fertilisation cause variation - which means there is no way of telling what their children would look like & it is not certain that they would even look alike. That's why siblings don't look exactly the same.

iliveforthemusic

In response to “Clsconroy is right. The grandparents genes...

Yes, the cousins would clearly not look the exact same, but the variation between them would be the same as siblings. Besides, identical twins have the exact same genes, both recessive and dominant. So they each would have gotten the same genes from their parents, because they have the same parents.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom OP

This happened with my mom's parents. I don't know whether you mean the cousins would be phenotypically or genetically as similar as siblings but, if it's the first, i'd like to point out that my mom and her cousins look nothing alike.

Encore93

In response to “This happened with my mom's parents. I don't...

Genetically similar. Usually though, if two people are genetically similar they also look physical similar, but there are siblings with the same parents that look very different.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom OP

Well genotype determines phenotype. They might have the same dominant & recessive genes as eachother & the same parents & grandparents but its not certain which of these genes they would inherit. For example one could inherit 2 dominant genes for having a long nose or brown eyes while the other could inherit 2 recessive genes for a short nose etc etc. There's no way of being certain.

iliveforthemusic

yeah sorry, the confusion was my fault because i thought the original post said that the cousins would be twins instead of as similar as siblings!

clsconroy