Add Amirite to your Browser

AtheisticMysticwilmanamefitsparesecondsBlearslyrarerSpearmintMilkHaleyyxo18FunnyplantsCourage_WolfwobbuffetTrishLamWinRam27coletteSnobbyDrugAddictIchLiebeDichKatOwnsYourSoulclsconroylucichJardenAnnDeevaEmptyMelodiesSupsamiisawesomeClay_CaptainspadevatorecccCuban_BAstronaut_Willfoolwithdreams_iamveryawesomecalebrewindthissongmashtakid244yomumsuxNerdunderdogMR_RainbowBloodOhKayTeaAnchored17SaphiraMYSTERlOUSEripeacelovedance_23Deadpoolblonde_zoeMusicalXMollypuhhhrincessErdrickfrankleMadie

MikkiMousemydaddidntpulloutejayeplano98ctiscoolerslairSuzywaohattrick36goodtimeilikefurrywolves4815VelociraptorSocksOnMyFeetTruttaceousTemulencechucklebunsWideAwakebudgerigar42GolfWangBossmansunshine_feetneutrinachiddybangsmiles97Skr3wBallpeace_love_happinessTheresAnAppForThatled_zeppelineastcoastLuserooAlmostAlwaysRightIsItBetterYetlauren4004MyviJessiWynautrunnerdudePsychochemicallaxgirl608WinniethePoohThatKidEveryoneLovesFooseysnarfMoosraambrosiax2502manEustaceKirstenAnncpbulldog15theycallmereemaHandsyCarterqrcoasterkid

Nobody :(
You would get an abortion if the kid was going to be a mental retard, amirite?

I am homepaging this in the hopes of facilitating a shitstorm.

Originality_is_Dead Originality_is_Dead

Most abortions take place in the first trimester so you wouldn't know

mydaddidntpullout

In response to “Most abortions take place in the first...

They have screenings for pregnant women to check for certain deformities and also downs syndrome, etc. They are done early on (kinda) 12-15 weeks. It is actually routine and they give the parents the choice on if they want to terminate the pregnancy if something is found.

I am assuming that's more what the post is about.

Jules

In response to “They have screenings for pregnant women to...

Yep, they can perform an amniocentisis (sp?) and take a sample of the amniotic fluid. when they do genetic testing, they can piece the fetus's chromosome pairs together to see if they have down syndrome. This is usually only done in high-risk pregnancies though, and abortion can be an option.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

Originality_is_Dead Originality_is_Dead

In response to “I am homepaging this in the hopes of...

I always do that on controversial posts.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

I'm extremely conflicted over this post =/

kipkayify kipkayify

I think it depends on more than just that.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

I'm leaning towards yes (as in I would support my spouse if she chose to have an abortion for that reason) but I'm not voting because I just don't know what it would be like to be in that situation. But I look at it this way: if we produce a kid who is mentally handicapped, we will have to take care of him for the rest of our lives and when we get to old age we'll have to sit around and worry about who will take care of him once we're gone. That's my reasoning as of now, but I just don't know.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

There's always a reason to be alive.

Big_Boss Big_Boss

In response to “There's always a reason to be alive.

Really? I doubt I would abort the baby. But I volunteer a lot and am around mentally handicapped people quite frequently. Some of them are completely unable to move or communicate. In that case, what is the point of living? I am NOT saying their life isn't worth living. It's just that if I was them, I would rather not be alive.

Egotistical

No I would love my child whether they have a disability or not.

ilikefurrywolves4815 ilikefurrywolves4815

In response to “No I would love my child whether they have a...

It's not about that. Sometimes it takes more love for your child to realize that their future would be incredibly difficult and painful for them and decide not to have the baby.

midnightcookies midnightcookies

In response to “It's not about that. Sometimes it takes more...

I still don't think I could ever bring myself to do it ;___;

it all depends on how he will grow up, where he will grow up, how good your job is, how old you are, if you are ready or not, and how kind the people are at the school he will attend.

Anonymous

On the one hand, I know mental retards don't want to die. On the other hand, I would rather die than become mentally retarded.

wobbuffet wobbuffet

In response to “On the one hand, I know mental retards don't...

Well...they're retarded so they're not going to have reasonable opinions.

Ram27 Ram27

It's still a life, IMHO. It's still a baby who I helped create, who's heartbeat I've heard, who I've felt kick. It may be difficult, but I think I'd keep the pregnancy if my baby was destined to have a mental retardation. It isn't the baby's fault she's mentally disabled. I'd still love her all the same because she's my child. That doesn't mean I force my opinions about abortion on other people. If a mother found out her baby had a mental disability, I wouldn't stand outside the abortion clinic yelling about how she's gonna burn in Hell like some people do these days (un)

BeautifulNightmare BeautifulNightmare

In response to “It's still a life, IMHO. It's still a baby...

That was a really well written counter-argument. Thank you

Anonymous

Would you have a different stance on it if you never felt the baby kick? That would be a deal breaker for me

John_MacTavish John_MacTavish

In response to “Would you have a different stance on it if...

I'm not sure. Probably not though. I mean, if I found out early in the pregnancy, there wouldn't be any kicks, but I still would of seen him on ultrasound most likely and heard his heartbeat. I haven't been a parent yet (Well, duh. I'm 15) but I'm sure there would be some emotional attachment to the baby the moment I found out I was pregnant. I did forget to mention in my last post that my brother has Down Syndrome, maybe that's the reason why I'd keep my baby if she was mentally handicapped. I see tons of life and love in him every day, and life wouldn't be the same without him. And I think if the doctor told me to get Genetic testing because they think the baby has something wrong with her, I wouldn't do it. I think it's better not knowing and just loving the baby no matter what she has.

BeautifulNightmare BeautifulNightmare

I would most likely get an abortion regardless of the baby's health.

GolfWang GolfWang

In response to “I would most likely get an abortion...

Really? So that means you don't ever want kids? Because this post is implying having a child that you'd otherwise keep.

As a recommendation, it's probably easier in the long run to look into permanent birth control methods. Just saying.

Anonymous

In response to “Really? So that means you don't ever want...

Even though I'm only 18, pregnancy is just not something I want to experience. But that doesn't mean I don't want kids.
Also, please don't assume that I (or others) will just be having unprotected sex and using abortions as a form of birth control. I never want to be pregnant so obviously I will use protection but if that protection failed, I would most likely get an abortion.

GolfWang GolfWang

Why is everyone downvoting this, like it's a bad thing to not want kids >_>

Emperorerror Emperorerror

In response to “Why is everyone downvoting this, like it's a...

Maybe because some people don't see abortion as an alternative birth control method? Yeah....

Anonymous

In response to “Maybe because some people don't see abortion...

Yeah, but the majority of the comments here that disagreed didn't disagree because they disagreed with abortion in general, but because they disagreed with aborting just because the child is handicapped. So, based on that, one would assume that the majority of the viewers of this post weren't of that opinion.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

In response to “Yeah, but the majority of the comments here...

But people that disagreed for that reason could also have disagreed because they disagree with abortion in the first place. After all, if someone disagreed because they don't think a mentally challenged person should be aborted, do you think that they'd agree with a healthy baby being aborted? Let's abort healthy babies and keep the not healthy ones, yeah.... That doesn't make much sense.

And also, saying "I'd get an abortion no matter what" is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Go get yourself fixed or something.

Anonymous

In response to “But people that disagreed for that reason...

When you say "After all, if someone disagreed because they don't think a mentally challenged person should be aborted, do you think that they'd agree with a healthy baby being aborted?", you need to realize that the reason people would disagree with this post is because they don't think aborting a fetus because it'd be disabled when born is a valid reason. Not because they disagree with abortion in general.

As for your second paragraph, if one does not consider abortion murder then unless they plan on getting pregnant very frequently, it's really not too much of an issue to get an abortion every time. It's not as if they're expensive. Also, you might say to yourself, "One time I might want a kid, so I don't want to ruin that option for me in the future", and therefore choose to simply get abortions instead of getting yourself fixed.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

In response to “When you say "After all, if someone...

BUT, the reasons behind WHY they think that that isn't a valid reason can stem from the fact that they believe ALL human life is important, or other reasons. Fact is, people were voting it down, so they obviously disagreed with that. And there are people that find abortion morally wrong on this site, so why be surprised?

Multiple abortions are more expensive than getting permanent birth control once. And considering that people that abort often care a lot about their own convenience, getting fixed is more convenient and better for their body (so they don't have to worry about the oh so difficult pregnancy that abortion is saving them from and how oh so horrible it is for her health).

And I wonder how many times someone can have an abortion before she becomes infertile.

And some people may not feel like an abortion would affect them now, but if they went through one they might feel differently. I was just giving a suggestion for someone that doesn't seem to want to have kids.

Anonymous

Hmmm...... logically I should and if I was given the facts then yes
However I feel in the actual situation logic would feud with morality. So i have no idea

Jonesy Jonesy

I have plans set aside for my children and if they are unable to fulfill them, there's no point in having them. I would abort.

LamWin LamWin

In response to “I have plans set aside for my children and if...

What do you mean, plans set out for them? Sounds a bit...tyrannical to me. Elaborate?

colette colette

In response to “What do you mean, plans set out for them?...

There are just certain things I intend for them to do. Managing my parent's business along with continuing and growing the business I'm in the process of starting up are just 2 examples. Maybe run for public office one day too.

Nothing tyrannical or evil, lol.

LamWin LamWin

In response to “There are just certain things I intend for...

Huh. I kind of think that's a bit selfish. Then again, not really my place to interfere. Good luck with your...business.

colette colette

In response to “Huh. I kind of think that's a bit selfish...

Lol, kind of? It's pretty freaking selfish, but I'm okay with that.

LamWin LamWin

In response to “Lol, kind of? It's pretty freaking selfish...

There's no guarantee that your kids will do any of that, even if they are capable.

Anonymous

I have two expectations for any future kids of mine.
1) That they're happy
2) That they make the world a better place

Anonymous

Wow thats pretty... controlling.

Demonturky

Shitstorm inbound.

Big_Boss Big_Boss

Many of the NW people may have not experienced first-hand the effects of taking care of a mentally retarded child. I would say yes to this post because not only do you save yourself (and probably many others) the pain and agony of taking care of this fragile human being, you're saving the child him/herself from a lifetime of teasing, frustration, and suffering.

Plus, there's always the whole overpopulation crisis, soooo . . .

Aliyah K.

In response to “Many of the NW people may have not...

If you care about the whole overpopulation crisis, then why don't you just never have kids? Because it's kind of a double standard to say that some people deserve to populate this earth more than others, and I doubt you'd care very much about overpopulation when it comes to a child that you want.

Anonymous

In response to “If you care about the whole overpopulation...

Lol, that last line was a joke. Maybe I should've added a smiley to convey the sarcasm. Nice counter argument though.

But, since you brought it up, I do actually plan on never having kids. I'm just not a kid person, and I don't feel capable enough to raise a child. So, no, I don't think I'm supporting a double standard, but I understand what you're saying.

Aliyah K.

What kind of a human are you?

Jessi Jessi

It's not only caring for the child, which would be difficult. A whole life without being able to do what others can do, and the large possibility of ending up in poverty or homeless seem kind of harsh for the baby, not only you.

Jarden Jarden

My mum was 39 when she had me, so there was a high probability of her child having Down syndrome. I asked her about it, and she said that I probably wouldn't have been born if I'd had it. But anyway, I don't think that anyone can actually make a decision about this until they've actually been in that situation. perhaps it's the same for my mum. I didn't have Down's. But if I had, I don't know what she would have done. It's different theoretically that in reality.

Essem Essem

In response to “My mum was 39 when she had me, so there was a...

Holy...my mom was 40 something when I was born O_O

I won't lie, I'd prefer to not be born than be born mentally retarded. I can't believe I didn't realize how close I was to being mentally disabled.

Even though there is always a reason to live...I wouldn't think that when I'm mentally disabled, right?

**** I don't even know anymore

Big_Boss Big_Boss

In response to “Holy...my mom was 40 something when I was...

Maybe you are mentally disabled and everyone's just being nice.

AntiJokeChicken AntiJokeChicken

In response to “Maybe you are mentally disabled and...

Nope, the military declared that I'm mentally fit for duty.

Big_Boss Big_Boss

Sorry for causing you to have an existential crisis :/ That's not at all what I meant to happen.

Essem Essem

I think a big part of this situation is one that depends on certain circumstances. I didn't vote because it would depend with how disabled they are. Unless you know what the exact situation would be then it would be a hard choice.

ohyah;)

You probably should have directed this at pro-choice people. A lot of the NWs are probably from people that would never have an abortion because they just don't believe in them.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “You probably should have directed this at...

There are a lot of people that are pro-choice but wouldn't get an abortion themselves. Besides, directing a post towards a group that is likely to say yes is a pretty cheap way to get votes:/

Anonymous

In response to “There are a lot of people that are pro-choice...

Thats true. But my point stands. There may be a lot of the people that you described, but there are probably also a lot of pro-choice people that would. And the post isn't meant for people voting their stance on abortion, but to vote on whether it's ethical to abort because a child is going to be mentally retarded.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “Thats true. But my point stands. There may be...

They'd still be voting on whether it's ethical. And even if they did direct it to a certain group, pro-life people would have voted on it anyways. And I'm pretty sure there are more pro-choice people on this site and considering that it's currently at a negative vote, a lot of them don't agree with this reason.

And the votes don't really indicate whether they think it's ethical or not, just whether they would personally do it.

Anonymous

In response to “They'd still be voting on whether it's...

Yes, pro-life people would probably vote anyway. But my point is that this post is meant to see if people think that mental retardation is a good enough reason to abort, not if they think abortion itself is right.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

I think I would abort, not because the baby is mentally retarded but because I wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm not a selfless person, and there are plenty of mentally unstable kids at my school, and while I have nothing against them, I could never take care of them for more than a day. In the end, both the child and I would suffer and most likely have to be taken as a burden of the state.

alittleannoyed alittleannoyed

I wouldn't be able to abort. I'm too selfish. That's my retarded baby. I'd get so lost in the excitement of being pregnant that I wouldn't think about what would be better for the baby or for loved ones or even the children I might already have.

pikabeau pikabeau

I would abort it, if my wife wanted to (obviously). It's far more than just "special care". It's the extra worry, schooling, heartache of watching your child grow up in "second place". On top of that, it might cause physical complications which would be hell for them to go through. I would feel a need to abort it.

Nerdunderdog

You don't call retarded people retards. You call your friends retards.

Michael Scott

I would want to abort it and if my wife (assuming I'm married to the mother) didn't want to abort it then I would probably get a divorce.

AntiJokeChicken AntiJokeChicken

In response to “I would want to abort it and if my wife...

I hope you never get married.

TheRagingDilemma TheRagingDilemma

In response to “I hope you never get married.

That's a bit harsh.

AntiJokeChicken AntiJokeChicken

In response to “That's a bit harsh.

You don't deserve a wife or child if you would turn your back on them for something like that.

TheRagingDilemma TheRagingDilemma

In response to “You don't deserve a wife or child if you...

Seriously who are you to tell me I don't deserve to get married? There are dealbreakers for everyone, and for me, this is one of them.

AntiJokeChicken AntiJokeChicken

For me it depends on the type of mental illness. In my opinion if my child could never grow into a proper adult that could support themselves I would probably abort. It doesn't mean that if I were to have a kid with a mental disorder I wouldn't love them or I think their life is worthless I just think that I would want my kids to become successful adults and it might hurt me emotionally to know that could never happen.

ChickenMilk

In response to “For me it depends on the type of mental...

There are OPTIONS. There are plenty of adults with special needs who live in assisted living (living with an aid/nurse) and who manage to have basic jobs. And as for your own emotional hurt, that's just something you would need to learn to live with. It's not all about you.

TheRagingDilemma TheRagingDilemma

Continue