SobriquetThisBunnyFliesfoolwithdreams_ScientistThisBlackChickChewbansheeEgotisticalGolfWanglemmethinksparesecondsctiscoolerrunnerdudeTurtleCuban_BPergensteinHaquicahCherryBlossomEncore93StatefarmBig_Bossmiss_smilieSpearmintMilkrowanneDomoYummyLarryHiMikkiMousemakeup_nerdGiggityGoo22BonslyGuyDontTellMeShowMePurpleGumDropDanniDolphinHarpernotmuchnotmuchK_SteezyMaryeieiopeace_love_happinessFailAtLifeLinksLegionaireSarwatBlake11roysTwoSpoonsPinkSpongeJonathanStochilikefurrywolves4815KirstenAnnRingo_StarrHectic_GlowSkylarOctavious

SnobbyDrugAddictcoletteGlungoI_Predict_A_RiotRhinocrowPrincessMidgieabbeydmchalla3CaptainspadevatoreLexiiShadeYeahIAmlavianobelucuSpookyPugItsBloodyBrilliant8DUrkaronjustwondering28Cpt_McMuffinLegit_LatinHotKoolAidJulesvampire_academyAmahia11thatguysMyHotHotJamBigblueJennitaliasb123sickipedianmc2147twilight_4_evaaaaHopeImriteKimmidollmramesshPrincessConsuelaShortstopmwdMhmmmSewcdfBlucattchiddybangChuckTom

Beccamc2147nikkimileycyrusblue45000iluvhockeyFlamesToDustlivesmileloveKayleeisawesomenotmyself2niteTrishMissAwesomenessRachelNerinliannaclareCelestialjessTalkingRiceInariFanaticSpearmintMilkWolfeDeWaryLilblair16death_or_gloryrootbeeryumyumrilaraStarkiller731SobriquetforyoubluenotmuchnotmuchLiz229lLovelyLexie007OozyRatOnePiecepkmnBballFoShoTHAT_GirlMaryKateBurnettCarsonKIsForKaraokeiamveryawesomemashmallow515cremep0psTribuneSuperSukhrminaThingsandstufffieldhockeychick77BuddyCakesSuzywaoyeahyeahyeahyessoccerchickMyvi
It's ridiculous that people get annoyed with unattractive people for thinking they're attractive. What is so wrong with someone thinking positively about themselves? Are we really so controlling that we believe we have the right to tell someone else how to feel about themselves, or so desperate that this is how we make ourselves feel better? Amirite?

I remember once i uploaded a picture to Facebook and i genuinely thought it was one of my better photos. So i put my caption as "I'm really rather happy with how i look here." Then about an hour later, i got an inbox from a now former friend, and it basically said "stop looking for attention you ****" So i deleted the photo and drank the evening away

Wolfedewasted

Wolfedewasted

In response to “I remember once i uploaded a picture to...

Just so you know, while that one person thought you looked bad, there were plenty of other people who thought you didn't.

Sobriquet OP

Aww that's horrible. In my opinion, that isn't attention seeking. That's being happy with finally getting a good picture, and expressing so. It's not like you wrote "omgg guyzz i am liek uglyy rite? liek if u think im pretty comment if uglyyy :*"

Rainboots Rainboots

We're they a former friend before that happened or are they a former friend because that happened?

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “We're they a former friend before that...

(colebowl) it was this incident that led to a number of problems between us.

WolfeDeWary WolfeDeWary

Oh ok. I was going to say if they were a former friend before that then that's probably why they said that but nope they're just an all around ****. I don't think that's asking for attention, I think going "ewww ugly I hate this picture" is asking for attention.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

http://ctrlv.in/105190
omgg guyzz i am liek uglyy rite? liek if u think im pretty comment if uglyyy

Favvkes Favvkes

"stop looking for attention" doesn't mean you're ugly.

Anonymous

It's out of insecurity methinks.

Big_Boss Big_Boss

In response to “It's out of insecurity methinks.

Definitely. If you're confident in yourself, why do you care what others are doing with their bodies? Doesn't add up.

kipkayify kipkayify

Exactly! Like is the person supposed to have horrible self confidence and call themselves ugly all the time? Because then people would think they were an attention ****.

LittleRed LittleRed

In response to “Exactly! Like is the person supposed to have...

There's a difference between not thinking you're attractive and repeatedly calling yourself ugly.

personThingy

Well I don't think either should be encouraged.

LittleRed LittleRed

I'm pretty sure they're aware of that and are showing the other extreme side of the spectrum.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

You're right about that, but people get annoyed with other people (unattractive or not) that think they're attractive, but also rub it in other people's faces and have a mindset that they're basically the hottest person in the room. I don't think people have a problem with others that have self-confidence, so much as people have a problem with others that are just plain arrogant when it comes to their looks.

I_Predict_A_Riot I_Predict_A_Riot

I think they only get annoyed when that person is not just confident but cocky. Being cocky is irritating whether you're attractive or unattractive.

Idling_Rocket_Ship Idling_Rocket_Ship

Personally, I'm fine with everyone thinking they're beautiful and being confident. It's just a problem when people don't understand the difference between confident and ****.

Bookworm527

In response to “Personally, I'm fine with everyone thinking...

What is wrong with being ****?

ContinuityMistake ContinuityMistake

@Bookworm
You mean cocky and not ****, right?
There's nothing wrong with being **** .

pikabeau pikabeau

I'm pretty sure they meant either cocky or conceited, because being **** really doesn't have anything to do with this post.

LittleRed LittleRed

"There's nothing wrong with being ****."
For real? Yeah, people can dress/act how they want, but there is plenty wrong with being ****.

acisseJ acisseJ

Can you explain to me what, exactly, is wrong with being "****"?

Sobriquet OP

First of all, the word itself is derogative. Why anyone would ever want to consider themselves ** is beyond me. Have you ever heard anyone say "Man, that girl is so , I'd love to introduce her to my parents" ? There goes the respect you may have otherwise deserved. Dress and you become an object of . Most men that ogle at you are thinking of your body, not your beauty. Act ** and there goes the respect again. How is someone supposed to take you seriously with your legs spread or when you're wearing half the clothing you should be?

There is a huge difference between being ** and being confident in your body. I thoroughly believe if you got it, flaunt it, and I follow that myself. But ** leave something to the imagination or men are going to treat you the way they see you.

I see all these ** girls who cry when men treat them the same way they would a blow up doll. Suddenly these "pigs" are all you can get. If you advertise yourself as a ** then you're going to be treated like one.

acisseJ acisseJ

Calling a girl a ** is simply looking at her in a disapproving manner because she is more interested in than a woman "should" be. Meaning, she wants just as much as men. By using the word, you're simply enforcing this widespread disapproval of female sexuality. Besides, who gives a shit how much clothing someone wears? If I see a woman wearing as little clothing as legally possible, I say good on her for being comfortable with her body. Even if she does have a very active ** life, why do I care? I personally have no reason to be jealous, and even those who do need to grow up.

Sobriquet OP

Sure, a woman hardly wearing any clothes says she's comfortable with her body but it also says she's ok with men staring at her body, creeps with wild imaginations, and the general male population seeing her as a ** object rather than a respectful human being. It's the entire fact that someone ** allows themselves to be put through this. Any self-respecting person wants to be respected as well.

acisseJ acisseJ

What's wrong with her having a lack of concern about the opinions of people she doesn't even know? If anything, a self-respecting person wouldn't care about trying to win respect from someone who will judge them harshly for viewing themselves positively. I am a goth, I deal with disapproving strangers all the time, and I've got to say that life is a lot better when you just don't give any ****.

Sobriquet OP

But that is exactly what she's doing. I'm not saying she wants or deserves it, but rather that it's cause and effect. You dress **** and men are going to think of you just that way.

Obviously you can't care what the whole world thinks of you but you're not only going to be dealing with unimportant strangers. If you're going to dress yourself in a potentially degrading way, you're not going to find someone who wants to start a serious relationship with you. More often than not, you're going to find men who want to **** and leave. If you're ok with that, then so be it.

If you want to dress **, I honestly couldn't give a **. It doesn't concern me. I just happen to think of the word the way it means. It's derogatory and that's how it's meant to be used; it shouldn't suddenly be glorified. But I really don't feel like elaborating any further.

/end of my part in this debate.

acisseJ acisseJ

Well, think of them however you want; nobody can really change your opinion. Just keep it to yourself. People deserve respect regardless of their actions.

Anonymous

I don't mean to butt in, but I think you're both kind of right but just have two definitions of ****.
@Sobriquet: I think you're thinking of a ** in the way most people use it nowadays. As in a girl who likes and has an active ** life. And you're right, there's nothing wrong with that.
@acisseJ: I think you're thinking of the (imo) real meaning of the word ****. As in, a girl with no self-respect.

LittleRed LittleRed

Anonymous

People fail to realize that EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN DEFINITION OF A "****."

Laci Green's definition of a **** is extremely different than mine.

mirandaamirite

Liking **** isn't bad
Being comfortable in your skin isn't bad
Wearing skimpy clothing and sleeping around then complaining when men view you as a **** object is.

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

Liking ** doesn't mean having more than the average person. EVERYBODY likes **.

LittleRed LittleRed

the most unattractive thing, to me, is a guy thats attractive and he knows it. confidence is something completely different..

Pug

In response to “the most unattractive thing, to me, is a guy...

yeah he knows it and is all too aware of it ...sort of takes the charm away

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

Good post, I've never really thought about that before

Graverotti Graverotti

Precisely! THIS is why body policing is stupid. Who does it hurt for someone to like their body and think it's attractive? Why do people feel the need to 'correct' when all that does it make one more person insecure? Why do they feel they should tell someone how to think about their body, what to like, what to change, which terms to use to describe it? It boggles the mind. This post is so well worded, I love it, OP. :D

Chou

In response to “Precisely! THIS is why body policing is...

Well, because there's a difference between "body policing" and "attractive policing" (I know that's not a real term, but anyway). If someone with an ugly face thought they were attractive, then good for them and yes, it would be mean and cruel to tell them otherwise them and ruin their self confidence.
On the other hand, if there is someone that weighs 500 pounds and thinks they have a healthy body, then someone DOES need to correct them. Not to ruin their self-esteem, but because being morbidly obese is unhealthy and if they continue to think it is fine, they won't do anything to correct their weight and will end up having a variety of health problems.

Alyssa

There's a difference between having confidence and thinking you're hot shit. That's my problem with most girls on Facebook.

Nerdunderdog

In response to “There's a difference between having...

Not really. What's wrong with someone thinking they're hot? Are you so insecure that their confidence offends you?

Sobriquet OP

I said hot shit not hot. You're not the greatest person ever in the world. I'm all for confidence. I think the world could use more. But it's over-confidence that is bothersome.

Nerdunderdog

Cockiness can get annoying, but I rarely see people genuinely believe that they think they are amazing in every aspect. Usually it's just in their appearance, and that isn't something to be ashamed of. In a world where we're told we are ugly all the time, a little too much confidence in appearance is refreshing.

kipkayify kipkayify

Irritatingly refreshing.

Anonymous

There is always a line somewhere in things like these.
I'll take myself as an example. For me, I am not perfect. My body looks fine and whatnot. At times I do say, "damn, I'm attractive" but I don't go around gloating it like I have a shitton of proof of how amazing I am compared to the next person.

Also, I have a hair-pulling disorder, so I have a bunch of uneven hairs. While I do believe my hair looks fine, I'm not going to say "OMG MY UNEVEN HAIRS ARE SO PRETTY!!!!!"
I will not acknowledge something that I know is unhealthy and can hurt me to be "beautiful" because I know it is wrong and I'd rather not tell people with my same disorder that their uneven hair is amazing, because that just supports the idea that it is OK and that continuing is fine.

Anonymous

What's wrong with an attractive person thinking the same? I don't understand the post because of the first line.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

In response to “What's wrong with an attractive person...

You've never heard of people saying things like "I hate when ugly people think they're pretty!"

LittleRed LittleRed

In response to “You've never heard of people saying things...

Actually no , I haven't come across too many pricks like that. :D

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

99% of people that do that are arrogant bastards.

Chiff Chiff

In response to “99% of people that do that are arrogant bastards.

80% of all statistics are made up.

MasterJ MasterJ

Someone's probably already said this, but don't think it's about being annoyed with people simply because they think they're nice looking. It's about being annoyed with people who act like they're entitled to things because they're nice looking, or are jerks because of it, or cocky, or like to rub it in other people's faces, or stuck up, etc. And I would dislike ANYONE who acted that way, regardless of how attractive I personally thought they were.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

I agree with what you're saying, BUT the post you're taking this from was about people being full of themselves, not about people being self confident.

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin

People judge others. That is just how it is.

I don't like that this is one-sided. EVERYONE should be allowed to feel good about themselves without someone making comments. It's always the more 'unforunate' that get the sympathy: the fat person's feelings>the thin person's feelings; the unattractive person's feelings>the attractive person's feelings.

I see people have the mindset of "well that person knows they're pretty so they shouldn't get upset by [this comment]"

So, no one should look down on others, but people will anyway.

Jules

In response to “People judge others. That is just how it is...

Wait, since when are a fat person's feelings viewed as more important than a thin person's feelings? Seems the other way around to me.

Sobriquet OP

Well, if I said to an obese person, "Goddamn, go on a diet!" in front of a group of people, I would get more dirty looks and "that's not okay" comments than if I said to a skinny person, "Goddamn, you're a rail, go eat a burger"

That's from experience (not that I, personally, have said either) but I have witnessed a person say that to an obese person, and I have experienced first hand the skinny side (as in, somebody has said those words to me, and others chimed in "yeah you need to eat").

Obese people say "I have [insert medical problem]" thin people are assumed to have 'food issues'

Jules

I've seen plenty of people mock overweight people for not dieting, saying that they "can't take care of themselves", but I never see anyone say that about thin people, when in reality it is entirely the same. And if a thin person takes steps to maintain a healthy weight, people say "oh, that's good, they're getting back on track". However if they see an obese person taking a jog or working out at the gym, they point and laugh and mock. And what about all of the disgusted views towards obese people, especially women? As if having extra fat means they don't bathe (in reality, having more to wash means they probably spend more time in the shower. Just a thought).

Sobriquet OP

In response to “I've seen plenty of people mock overweight...

Hmm but maybe you haven't experienced the other side of the coin. I'm pretty thin and have been thin all my life, and I get so much unnecessary flack for it. I've never had a meal where someone hasn't commented about how much I eat. Because I'm thin even if I eat a substantial amount it is presumed that the quantity is less.i generally take two helpings but most ppl will presume that I'm going take just one helping and however much I've put. On my plate for that is all that. I'm going to eat for the whole meal. I feel like I have to justify myself whenever mealtime arrives because ppl will just make comments without even thinking. i get comments like you eat like a bird, are you on a diet, why do you eat less don't you know it's unhealthy, are you trying to compete with supermodels? And you can take it once in a while and just be like hahaha no I eat well ull see! But when u have to hahah heehee about people's **** up assumptions on a daily basis it gets really tiring. Some people may even say these things good naturedly but most ppl are snide with their comments. Why should I be subjected to snide behavior every day because I'm thin? It's the same way on both sides believe me.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

In response to “Hmm but maybe you haven't experienced the...

*I generally take two helpings but most people will presume that I'm going to take just that first helping of food and however much I've put on my plate for that, is all that I'm going to eat for the whole meal.

So many freaking unnecessary full stops! In that same sentence in the above comment! (Silly iPad)

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

In reality it isn't the same. The odds of THAT many people having thyroid problems are slim. Like you just did, people assume a thin person MUST have food issues of some kind. Where in reality the number of obese people who have medical problems would be close to the number of thin people who actually have food issues... leaving the majority of obese people being just fat from over eating, and the number of thin people being thin because they don't gorge themselves.

Most obese people are obese because of poor food choices. My sister takes the same medication a friend of mine does, that my friend claims 'makes her gain weight' (like she told me her weight is 275), my sister is still thin. My friend likes to eat fast food, my sister likes to eat healthy and jog. So in my mind if an obese person says they are fat because of medical reasons, that is bull. maybe the first 20 pounds could be medical, but after that it is bad dietary choices.

My point with thin people is, people assume thin people have eating disorders, when the majority don't, they're just healthy or have a high metabolism.

Jules

There's a lot more to weight issues than that. There can be deep-seated psychological issues attached to it.

I suppose each group has it tough in their own way.

Anonymous

I know more than one person who thought they were too skinny, but both of them said they found it impossible to gain weight. It makes me angry when people make comments toward both skinny and fat people, and people as a whole don't seem to realize that being too skinny is a struggle. Some people can't control it because they have metabolic issues. I used to know a woman who had a disease where she was constantly losing weight no matter what she ate.

It hurts a skinny person's feelings just as much as a fat person. I am also objective because I'm average weight (just putting that out there)

eastcoast

Medication affects people differently, someone may take a certain medication and put weight on while someone else may stay the same weight and there are other medications that might make someone lose weight while other people taking it wont.

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

@ spearmintmilk
Yes, I agree. But that is why I said maybe the first 20 pounds (and to be fair, maybe more than that), but if somebody gains 50, 75, 100 pounds it isn't just the medicine...

Jules

Once someone told me that they would invite me over for dinner but they have food at their house. I ate the most at McDonald's out of a huge group of people from school tied with another skinny person. If someone had said, "I'd invite you for dinner but we eat salad" to a fat person all hell would break loose.

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

Yeah I think u just explained it really well. I couldn't articulate it but that is what I also disagreed with . The one sided argument.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

I understand if it's for unattractive people, because some people just don't have the most striking features.

However, I believe that a huge majority of people have the ability to be attractive, but it's their own choices that inhibit it.

Most people who choose to be fat are making the choice of not watching their diet. Most people who have extreme acne are not taking care of their skin and so forth

Of course, physical disorders are excluded. They obviously can't control it if they have a glandular problem for fat or a skin disease for acne, etc.

No, I don't think people who made that choice should walk around expecting people not to comment on how they chose to look, nor should they expect everyone else to think they're extremely attractive.

thatguys thatguys

In response to “I understand if it's for unattractive people...

Why should they expect people to comment on how they look? It's their choice. I don't understand people who are so hateful and rude just because someone is unattractive over something that they do have a certain amount of control over. Just because they could change doesn't mean you should be commenting on it. It's their life, and how they choose to look is none of anyone else's business. I'm not saying people should needlessly tell them that they're attractive when they're not, but taking away their ability to feel good about themselves just because you deem them unattractive over something they can control is just mean.

foryoublue

Sorry, I don't feel I should be respective of someone else's looks just for the sake of it.

Being polite and courteous is a given, I agree with that. No one has to right to walk up to another whom they don't even know and tell them outright how ugly they are.

But tolerance for someone's failure to keep up with their looks and then letting them lie to themselves about how they think they're what everyone is into is not how I choose to act socially. I'm going to be upfront if they feel the need to brag about something that is incorrect about themselves.

thatguys thatguys

Why do you care, though? If they want to believe something about themselves that is false, why is that an issue? The only reason you have a problem with it is because you're offended by the fact that they just might think of themselves as more attractive than you, which brings me back to What difference does it **** make?!

Sobriquet OP

Well, you won't know just by looking at the person whether they have a glandular issue/disease or not. And how do you know that the majority of acne sufferers don't take care of their faces? You don't.
Point is, you don't know anyone's story. They may have suffered for years with their issue, and people rarely 'choose' to put themselves in situations that open them up to more teasing and bullying. Everyone has a story, a long and complex one that cannot be seen simply by looking at them.
And what's more, they should be able to expect people not to comment on their 'unsuitable' appearance because it's just goddamn common courtesy. Someone who doesn't take care of their face deserves the same respect as someone who does but has an unfortunate condition. You ought to know that by now.
Anyways, the post seems to be saying 'live and let live'. People should remember that.

Anonymous

First of all, beauty is subjective. So maybe YOU don't think a person's attractive, but here's a news flash: There was not one single person in the history of mankind that was put on this planet to impress you.

LittleRed LittleRed

I said my opinion, actually pretty respectfully since I admitted to agreeing with what foryoublue said earlier, but now I look back and feel like everyone else commenting is acting

http://ctrlv.in/105233

thatguys thatguys

There's a thin line between confident and cocky, but liking the way you look isn't bad and is something that should be encouraged...
It's much better than putting a picture of yourself up and the caption being "Ew, I look so bad in this."

Rifka Rifka

Such a true observation in this post, the most powerful word being controlling, because yes, we are, and it's pointless but it grips us anyway.

Piper

For years I've thought I was pretty, but I was afraid to think that because it's considered vain.
You've got all these people saying "Don't have low self-esteem! You're beautiful!"
But then if you do think you're pretty you're a vain ****.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “For years I've thought I was pretty, but I...

It's a fine line to walk, but then people never really did mind their own business.

Anonymous

It's the same thing (more or less) with tattoos or piercings. Why do you care if someone chooses to put ink on their body or metal in their skin? It's not your body, and if it offends you so much, don't look at them.

justfuckmeup justfuckmeup

In response to “It's the same thing (more or less) with...

This girl at my school who I hate took a picture of my friends new tattoo and put it on facebook with the caption "Tattoo fail"

I don't care for tattoos in general, but they're kind of permanent. . No point in making someone feel terrible about it, and like you said it's not your body.

sighcantthinkofaname

Exactly, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks of it because you're the one who has to deal with it being permanently etched onto your body.
And besides, you get the tattoo for you, not anybody else's enjoyment or approval.

justfuckmeup justfuckmeup

Well I'm seriously ridiculously **** attractive, and I don't brag about it anywhere.

BobWilson BobWilson

I agree. And besides there's no such thing as absolute attractiveness. No one person in this world is going to be considered attractive to absolutely everyone. Everyone has their preferences. Someone you might find extremely attractive might be considered unattractive to someone else. I think people forget that when they say someone is ugly/unattractive, and what they are really saying is that that person is unattractive to them in their opinion. There are plenty of people who a lot of people seem to find attractive that I just don't agree with for some reason, like Ryan Gosling and Marylin Monroe. So if someone "unattractive" thinks they are attractive chances are there's someone out there who thinks they're completely in the right to think so

awwyeah awwyeah

I think like this, honestly. And now I feel guilty. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Anonymous

well, it's ok if they think they're attractive even if they aren't, as long as they keep it to themselves. But when someone ugly openly flaunts about how attractive they think they are to the point of being egotistic, it makes it that much more annoying that they aren't actually attractive.

mc2147

I can see that no one gives a shit about putting posts in amirite format anymore. That's a shame :

HopeImrite HopeImrite

In response to “I can see that no one gives a shit about...

I'm going to assume that's why you voted it down and from that I can say wow you people are like the worst reasons about this site.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

Really? Cause there's nothing worse to me than seeing a comments by you on this site. And no that not why I voted it down.

HopeImrite HopeImrite

Then there was no point in mentioning it. Get over it.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

People find confidence attractive, so actually if you're confident in yourself more people will think you're attractive, even you aren't. Moral of the story: if think you're sexy, you ARE sexy.

jukilo

I still think nobody should care about appearances. If everyone is beautiful, everyone is also ugly, because while somebody out there thinks you're beautiful, another person also thinks you're ugly. But in the end, it doesn't matter, and obsessing over it turns you into a horrible person anyways.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

I agree with what you're saying, but there's a thin line between being self-confident and just plain arrogant. I agree that there's nothing wrong with being confident in your looks, but people shouldn't think that they're so much better than everyone else just because they're good looking. I've seen that happen very often.

Bun10 Bun10

I just hate when ugly people are like "whoever I date has to be a 10, no uglies" etc, and constantly make fun of people for being ugly but theyre not even attractive

Anonymous

As soon as I read this, I thought of this really obnoxious chick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k3KzW2G0yY

Celestialjess

Everyone who yya'd this is ugly (smirk)

KickAss KickAss

I like your reasoning and humanity.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I like your reasoning and humanity.

And I like your comment.

Sobriquet OP

Beauty comes in many ways ...just be true to yourself..

JD JD

everyone is beautiful to someone

TheRedJester TheRedJester