CherryBlossomSkr3wBallMusicIsAGiftmiddleseisnotmuchnotmuchSpearmintMilkheythereilikeurhairyesnomaybemirandaamiritePrincessMidgiePurpleGumDropmylifeisflyTrishrosebudlivelovemusic12BeThatAsItMaysparesecondscherryblastermagic_unicornkyleighgingrichVendelinKirstenAnnacornsrockCuban_BohmannnThatguyDWFChuckTomBub

Frank_n_FurterDryTurtleCocaia12912CodayActionManbrunetterox915mashMissAutumnFallJennitaliawobbuffetlucichTribunesuperkeeliThymeAgainhearts1020FlipdTheVibeAlchemistTheBlindManARandomPersonSergHopeImriteDeathelfMaryStarlight_dragonfrogy8theflysilvershadow6B10ckH34dKaitlyn__Lover________Encore93ambrosiamakeup_nerdcherryblasterWynautx2502manNikola_Goddamn_TeslafEMMAnistSmoothiesihatebakasmonica_is_WJLLMissAwesomenessCaitlin

Cuban_BBeThatAsItMay
The probability of a woman having Barbie-like proportions is less than 1 in 100,000. The probability of a man having Ken-like proportions is about 1 in 50. If there's any proof needed for the significantly higher body standards that women face in our society, this is it, amirite?

YEAH! And Bratz dolls give people unrealistic expectations of head size!

Anonymous

I don't know any woman who would want to have the real life proportions of a Barbie doll, that would look weird as **** and you couldn't pay me to look like this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/g..._b_845239.html

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “I don't know any woman who would want to have...

Still, the fact that Barbies is designed in such a way is somewhat telling. My prof told us about these stats, and I looked up the study as a source. The source itself isn't very specific on how they collected the data though.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom OP

In response to “Still, the fact that Barbies is designed in...

If the way Barbie is designed is telling, so is the way G.I. Joe is designed. Especially considering G.I. Joe's image is reachable and would look like an attractive person in real life scale while with Barbie you'd have to either get surgery or just be born that way, no amount of diet and exercise would make you look like that and you'd look like a freak of nature. If no one wants to look like a real life Barbie, then the fact that only 1 in 100,000 people do look like a real life Barbie doesn't really say the standard of beauty for women is higher.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “If the way Barbie is designed is telling, so...

Yes, G.I. Joe's look is reachable and wouldn't kill a person to attain.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom OP

In response to “Yes, G.I. Joe's look is reachable and...

What's your point?

Anonymous

In response to “What's your point?

Standards that are reachable are less harmful that standards that are essentially impossible. The comment above implied that if a standard is impossible, no effort will be put towards attaining it. However that is untrue. Now, I don't believe that girls necessarily have Barbie in mind as their standard, but it's just an indication.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom OP

In response to “Standards that are reachable are less harmful...

My comment did not at all indicate that because it is impossible no one will try to reach it. It was that the majority of women don't want to look like a life size barbie so it's not like many women are putting forth effort to look like that and that Barbie is not a highly desired standard of beauty nor does she prove the standards of beauty are harsher on women. (I'm not saying the standard of beauty can't be harsher on women)

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

Wait wait wait. Barbie, a standard that is unreachable and undesierable in real women, is less harmful than a standard that men want, women like, and is reachable (but hardly any one actually looks like)?

Anonymous

I don't think Barbies are the standard for women, as a waist like that would most likely kill you. I also disagree with your position that the standards for women are much higher than those for men. Women can do all sorts of things to enhance their looks, things like putting on makeup and doing their hair in different ways. Guess what, a guy can't do that. If a guy put on makeup he'd be harrassed.
For a women to be considered beautiful all she needs is a fairly nice bone structure, while guys need that, and apparently a chiselled body as well. So don't tell me that women are objectified because of a stupid children's toy. Both men and women have standards that they have to live up to and I wouldn't say that either of them are easier than the other.

DryTurtle DryTurtle

In response to “I don't think Barbies are the standard for...

As for makeup and hair, that has gone from an option to an expectation for many. If makeup became available for guys, that wouldn't make it easier for guys, as the standards would just be raised.

And considering that girls are much more likely to suffer from eating disorders and body image problems, I'd say that yeah, they do face more pressure. Not saying that men don't face standards. In fact, in recent years it has been shown that body image problems for guys are unfortunately increasing.

And "all she needs is a fairly nice bone structure, while guys need that, and apparently a chiselled body as well" That's simply not true. Women also have body expectations.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom OP

In response to “As for makeup and hair, that has gone from an...

I'm not saying that only bone structure is what men find attractive in women, I just mean that there are many different niches that women bodytypes can fit into. While there is only realy one universally attractive male bodytype.

DryTurtle DryTurtle

In response to “I'm not saying that only bone structure is...

So far no one has retaliated this point, just downvoted. If anyone wants to actually argue their side here I'd be happy to oblige.

DryTurtle DryTurtle

Barbie is only marketed toward one gender though... perhaps, they made the guy more realistic because it was marketed towards girls. If you look at like GI Joe and other "boys" action figures the ratio would probably be the same.

Lkun Lkun

Anonymous

I don't know about any other girls here, but I never felt pressure to look a certain way because of the way my Barbie dolls looked.

brunetterox915 brunetterox915

In response to “I don't know about any other girls here, but...

I did. I'm not white and when I was a little girl I used to beg my mom to let me dye my (dark brown) hair blonde just like my Barbies. To me, that's what was beautiful. I know things like that are common.

Jess

This is like the dicussion I had with my mom the other day. She was upset because her ex-boyfriend was getting all buff and stuff from working out so tons of girls have been hitting on him. She knows he's a ** man but she's only a A-cup and it pissed her off on how she couldn't just naturally change her ** size but her boyfriend could become more attractive and change his body just by working out.

Standards for girls, yes they are higher. Of course no one actually wants barbies exact measurements, but if you look at models they all have similar curves and a nice complextion/facial structure similar like Barbie has.

Celeb guys can be okay-looking and get tons of attentions from girls because guys don't have that much of a higher standard in looks IMO.

And of course, everyone has their preferences. Some guys don't want a Barbie, maybe they want a girl with more meat on her bones or whatever their preference may be. But that's how the media portrays girls and it's brainwashed people into thinking that's what ALL women are supposed to look like.

Overall,
Everyone's beautiful so let's just stfu.

mirandaamirite

In response to “This is like the dicussion I had with my mom...

Wouldn't celebrities get attention from girls because they are celebrities and not because they are "average looking"? This argument falls flat with any average looking guy who isn't famous.

DryTurtle DryTurtle

In response to “Wouldn't celebrities get attention from girls...

Well, from the way I see it, a lot of male celebs get attention because they are famous, yes. But their looks aren't huge factors for their fanbase. Usually it's a role they played in a movie or something.

mirandaamirite

In response to “Well, from the way I see it, a lot of male...

Yeah, so it has no correlation with standards for men, as it has nothing to do with their attractiveness.

DryTurtle DryTurtle

While it's true that she couldn't change her **** size, she could change other aspects of her appearance to make herself look "better." There are aspects of a male's appearance that he can't change naturally either. Facial features, size of feet and hands, shoulder width, etc.

ThatDylanGuy ThatDylanGuy

In response to “While it's true that she couldn't change her...

My mom has already changed a lot about herself. She's been working out and wearing makeup more often, but she's just really insecure about her breasts to the point where both her and the ex are investing in getting her a ****-job. :/

And the whole thing about facial features and such applies to women as well. We can't change anything about ourselves except our weight. Unless they want plastic surgery.

mirandaamirite

In response to “My mom has already changed a lot about...

A lot of guys like small ****.

ThatDylanGuy ThatDylanGuy

That's weird. I didn't know 1 in 50 guys don't have a ****...

BigTRex BigTRex

I disagree that barbie is even a standard for anybody at all. It's just a doll. The fact that it has unrealistic proportions doesn't say anything about what people think women should look like, because all dolls in general are not portrayed realistically. In fact, with that kind of logic, one could just as easily argue that La-la Loopsy dolls are a bad influence on women because of the unrealistic expectation of having button eyes.

Encore93 Encore93

In response to “I disagree that barbie is even a standard for...

That doll gives me unreasonable expectations of leg length.

Anonymous