Sex/Gender

CherryBlossomSarahvdmSimonSwolshsoberlikekeshaOnePiecepkmnMeandmycatCuban_Bsexydumbass123SuzywaoBun10yeahiamriteMissB

Race/Ethnicity

mileycyrusscrubsftwHullabalooCellar_DoorJankofetttheprincesszeestacym25saywhen_pi_tea_lucichIwannafingeryouMagestic_mermanDeathelf_Jojo_sb123Crystalblue97xxdetroitxxMyviawesome_epicnessMyraniaSezSpanishGirlRockkellynorman3990sixth_sense676

Class/Income

jazzman3shelbmeKadeBamSgtSpriteRachelisCoolishSwimmynesscanyoupleasestopKayceegimme_sympathyPurpleGumDropTheShamWowGuyFlipdDanniDolphinSpearmintMilkBagelFinagleEncore93EthanalilbitdramaticNikola_Goddamn_TeslaCherrieBeeUnoriginalTheRaftsman_Ashlie_CaitlinDaNawhofaithnamedmeWWWYKImashmallow515personThingyB10ckH34dTribuneYourfellowmexicanredsapphireyeahithoughtsosunshine_feetmarashmallowjpn518PrincessMidgieMusicIsAGiftAltoid_Freak_250ProveItWatchful_questioneerpostAshleyxApocalypse

Disabilty

Len

Religion

ellephaba101sabachthanibrunetterox915cookiedoughJennitaliaAishaDecemberHareCloKamaliMayaUekianime_6

Sexuality

Jess_Dohertytallulahblue45000Haleyyxo18superkeeliDistinctionsshelbybuckffsrrw070193SimbaIAMSTORMtagriteamimusiclovereastcoastL09AN94evan123SergtyreeshajonesWunderscorelivelovemusic12coasterkidTirelesslobstercremep0psGi_GiKorraAwesomelyMeallofthisalexhufflepuffandproudBasunoCocaia12912chaomayhemWufflesDevilsAngel21

Other

DreadfulLullabyjustwondering28BetterThanEzra1119fuzalamuddyringlets

cremep0psYourfellowmexicanSuzywao
Which one of these do you think is the biggest category of discrimination/oppression in your country at the present. Please comment explaining why, and please only use Other if you believe there is a category not mentioned, not if you "believe they're all equal" or something.

Are we doing your homework for you?

Caitlin Caitlin

It really, really, depends. Class/income for which one has the biggest disadvantage, but not discriminated against in the same way people are for other things that are on a more personal scale rather than disadvantages from logical outcomes of the circumstance. Same with the disabled, they're at a disadvantage when it comes to certain jobs/places that aren't wheelchair accessible, not many people discriminate on that personal level (though people with severe disfigurements beyond just being disabled, that's a different story. Some people are frightened or think they're also mentally disabled, too).

When it comes down to which is discriminated against on that personal scale and beyond simply disadvantaged, it depends on region. Somewhere like San Francisco is likely to not be very sexuality discriminatory. Sexuality and race I think are really different depending on area of the country you're in. Sexism and biased toward a certain religion(s) probably vary some what, too. Out of those, I think racism and sexuality discrimination fair out pretty equal in terms of how abundant it is is with gender discrimination and religion playing a close second. Although, you can't automatical...

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “It really, really, depends. Class/income for...

ly tell someone's sexuality and can't always tell what religion they are. You can tell someone's gender (mostly) and their race (for the most part.)

TL;DR
It depends too much on too many factors to give one concrete answer.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

I was tempted to say class because of how the recent budget has affected the country, but then I thought of the fiasco over abortion laws here. So that's the biggest case of discrimination here in Ireland, it's a little bit of gender discrimination, a little bit of religion discrimination, but a whole lot of pointless, and depressing legislation.

muddyringlets muddyringlets

I said "Class/Income" because it seems that people make assumptions about people based on their income whether they know it or not. Even I'm guilty of it. If I see someone that is in old clothes, or maybe has dirty teeth, I almost always automatically assume that they don't make a lot of money.

BagelFinagle BagelFinagle

I'd go with gender discrimination.
A woman was gang raped recently and it's caused a lot of controversy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20...gang_rape_case
And there have been many more reported cases of rape and molestation. (angry)

Bun10 Bun10

In response to “you live in India?

Yes I do.

Bun10 Bun10

In response to “Yes I do.

Awesome.

redandthewolf

In response to “Awesome.

:)
Do you also live in India or something?

Bun10 Bun10

In response to “:) Do you also live in India or something?

No, I live in England. There's a massive Indian community where I live though and I just find the country so fascinating.

redandthewolf

In response to “No, I live in England. There's a massive...

That's nice to hear (smile)

Bun10 Bun10

I would say Religion. In the Philippines, there's this controversy about the reproductive health bill, which includes family planning, **** ed, abortion, contraceptives, etc. Since we're majorly affected by the Church, this bill was stuck in congress because some of the members wanted it while the "devout Catholic" members did not. It's a clear violation of separation of Church and State.

DecemberHare DecemberHare

In response to “I would say Religion. In the Philippines...

Religion is actually a big problem in the States too. A lot of people can't tell the difference between Church and State, meanwhile claiming that there's a "war" on their religion because those with authority won't pass laws that essentially mix religion and government.

brunetterox915 brunetterox915

Are we doing your homework for you?

Caitlin Caitlin

Affirmative Action. They are giving minorites huge benefits simply because they are minorities. They say ski color doesnt matter, but they must have "diversity" at colleges, jobs, etc.
its completely unfair to the hardworking, more competent white people

sb123

In response to “Affirmative Action. They are giving minorites...

Middle class white girl problems!

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

In response to “Middle class white girl problems!

It's not just middle class white girls though. It could be poor white girl problem. It could be an Asian problem. It's not just a disadvantage to white people, it's a disadvantage to any race the school already has "enough of."

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “It's not just middle class white girls...

No, it's more of a problem for the middle class because sometimes you're not allowed to apply for a scholarship because even though your parents don't make enough to afford that school, your parents make too much for you to qualify.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

In response to “No, it's more of a problem for the middle...

It is more of a problem for the middle class, true, my main point was that a lot of races can be disadvantaged from it.

Frank_n_Furter Frank_n_Furter

In response to “It is more of a problem for the middle class...

No one really wins with affirmative action.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

That's actually a big problem I'm having right now because even though we live on a single income and most of the money my dad earns goes toward medical bills for my mom, the people who decide what need based aid goes to who don't factor that in. The lifestyle that we can afford is upper low class, low middle class at best but when just looking at how much income we have a year, it's assumed that I don't need the money.

AshleyxApocalypse

Actually, white women benefit the most out of affirmative action.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “Actually, white women benefit the most out of...

How so? Yes, women are minority, but the white middle class is not.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

Sexuality in the US because like whenever something/someone announces that they are or support/are against non-straights, the media goes crazy and people start to hate or respect that person/thing instantly. Like Ellen Degeneres or Obama or chick-fil-a.

cremep0ps cremep0ps

At the moment, I'm vacillating between sexuality and religion. Originally, I put class/income, but I think that's more problematic than discriminatory.

I would choose sexuality because of the whole gay marriage issue, and what the person above me wrote about chick-fil-a. The idea of being gay is always in the media and someone's always talking about it.

I would choose religion because of the problems it's been causing in government. From abortion to omitting the word God from the pledge of allegiance, it just always seems to be a subject of controversy. And of course there's always the Westboro baptist church to make religion look bad, and the fact that Romney was made fun of for being Mormon.

Overall? I agree with the first person who commented. Varies way too much on region. Hard to give such a concrete answer. But in my very small town, I would have to say sexuality so that's what I'm choosing. Where I live is pretty conservative when it comes to that stuff. I'm friends with a gay couple and they are constantly picked on. And I know others who are called **** and things like that; it's disgusting.

eastcoast

In response to “At the moment, I'm vacillating between...

Damn, this censorship thing really pisses me off.

eastcoast

I can't speak for the whole country, but I come from a relatively wealthy town in Alberta. Sadly a lot of the teenagers (specifically male) for some reason think it's cool to be homophobic and be general douche bag hicks. On two occasions a group of teenagers sped past me in their vehicles yelling insults. On the one occasion they tried to throw some liquid at me (but missed). It's like really? You come from a wealthy town. You ain't no hick homeboy.

IAMSTORM IAMSTORM

God, this is such a good post! This is the kind of thing amirite should be about. Props to OP. (y)

Anyway, I went with class/income because it's one of those issues that's never going to disappear. There will always be people that make more/less money than you and that will always affect our large nation immensely, as it's doing right now with the whole fiscal cliff decision. Class/income has always been a dividing factor thoughout history and it remains one today.

Women have made leaps and bounds in terms of equality so I didn't choose that option, I feel that minorities have also been more or less well accepted and integrated in the U.S. (to an extent of course), and more and more people are supporting gay rights (at least where I'm from), so I feel that it's not as big an issue as it was 10 years ago, although it would be my second choice because it's still a cause for discrimination.

Altoid_Freak_250 Altoid_Freak_250

They are all big problems I suppose, so it's hard to choose. If I had to pick, I'm saying religion, but mainly because that's the most personal to me. When I tell people I'm Catholic, people are always like oh, you must be a gay-hating conservative creationist who strives to be a nun and doesn't believe in science. Not really...

cookiedough cookiedough

In response to “They are all big problems I suppose, so it's...

I wouldn't really say that's oppression (even if all those assumptions are super annoying) because it's worse to be the gay person being hated than someone misconceived as being the hater (because that doesn't lead you to any danger and you can just explain that you're not a hater). I'm Catholic too and I wouldn't say that it's ever led me to being disadvantaged the way sexism, racism, etc., would do to a person.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

On Amirite specifically, I'd say religion is the biggest. It sucks because you think everyone on this site would be accepting of other people's opinions, but I get so much hate for being a Christian.

BetterThanEzra1119 BetterThanEzra1119

Both race and religion, I'm from Malaysia.
The government here are racist scumbags.

Aisha