Mod Team

DiscordAtheisticMysticAmiriteTheBlindManChewbansheehearts1020Mike_HawkMusicIsAGiftLenriteamiScottyDZachNSC14JessiPotterBuddyCakesSpearmintMilkCocaia12912tagohlookitsmattdrhannaheldoritobrunetterox915TheOneAndOnlyBun10mashmallow515lanaletswastetimeAdonisBatheusbridgetbeattie9Mynaellephaba101jpn518GrayscalegeneSonofarifleSpatulaCityGladadsLinksLegionaireDameequaRobertSinebryanmNmL0ver14CherrieBeeJuliafacemeismandilucichMtrenchiepopstituteshelbybuckffsafterawhilehazelf

11gymgrl18VicZincFrank_n_FurterBigTRexkristingimme_sympathyacsorglivelovemusic12BonslyGuyxxdetroitxxBoneOfSteelMagestic_mermanjenferisjapaneezPerfectly_imperfectLiz229lAquariusSpringpersonThingyfieldhockeygirlFaithfulpeachey

shelbybuckffsLaresistance123AnnieMcManusmattreynoldstagpika_kesJessiPotterInariSpearmintMilkKazzieMelinaLinksLegionaireMtrenchiepopstitutemashmallow515ChewbansheeLenRobertSine
Your favorite part of the Bible is when God gave Earth free will and then flooded it for not doing what he wanted

Nope. I like the part in 2kings2:23-24 when god sends the vicious bears to kill 42 school boys who were calling Elijah "old baldy".

http://www.biblegateway.com/pas...38;version=NIV

VicZinc VicZinc

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Nope. I like the part in 2kings2:23-24 when...

It would seem God does NOT take shit from people who make fun of bald people.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “It would seem God does NOT take shit from...

Yes, god is badass, don't **** with his peeps.

VicZinc VicZinc

How about that time he got all the animals from different continents to traverse the world (crossing oceans) to all get on a boat, then go a good while without killing one another, then once the flood was gone, gave them the ability to repopulate the entire species through the inbreeding of one family after they once again crossed the globe to return to their proper habitats.

ScottyD

In response to “How about that time he got all the animals...

The world wasn't then as it is now. Geographically, it was unified and split later. The Bible confirms this:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/...;t=KJV#comm/25

In this past version of the earth, geography wasn't an issue. All the animals lived everywhere, as there wasn't a difference in climate before the violent earth-shattering events surrounding the global catastrophe known as "the flood."

You will also notice in the earlier genealogies of Genesis, people lived much longer than we do today. There are at least two reasons for this. For one, the earth was in an optimal condition before the global flood catastrophe. Afterwards, it wasn't. Second, this time period was much closer to creation in terms of time than we are today. Genetics weren't much of a problem back then; relatives were forbidden only later by God in the time of Moses and the writing of the law as this became an issue.

acsorg acsorg

You are taking the Bible out of context. This happens when you don't look close enough at the text to discover that—based on the original language and not the English translation you are citing—the bear victims weren't "school boys." They were grown men.

http://bible.org/seriespage/eli...2-kings-223-25

acsorg acsorg

In response to “You are taking the Bible out of context. This...

God still sent bears to kill 42 men for calling someone a name.

You're saying it's justifiable as long as they weren't children?

brunetterox915 brunetterox915

My favorite part is when Zeus flooded Earth and then God got the credit for it.

MusicIsAGift

I like the one where God lets an angel kill Job's family to prove he's truly faithful, even though since he's God he would already know whether or not Job was legitimate.

(And for anyone who doesn't know, the story is Old Testament therefore the "Satan" the story mentions isn't the evil one in Christianity. He's simply an angel that tests mankind.)

ScottyD

In response to “I like the one where God lets an angel kill...

Obviously He knew. Satan however did not... Therefore the "proving" part.

Igor Igor

In response to “Obviously He knew. Satan however did not...

Either way, Job is one of the most horrific examples of god allowing his people to suffer.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Either way, Job is one of the most horrific...

That is the whole point of the Book of Job. It discusses the question of why God lets bad things happen to good people.

kristin

But Satan isn't a controlling power. His knowledge of the legitimacy of Job's faith serves him no purpose since he's simply an angel. God could have just said "Yep, he's for realzies." and since God said it then it's true and everyone could have moved on.

ScottyD

In response to “But Satan isn't a controlling power. His...

I didn't even read your comment all the way. You said that Satan was just an angel? Not true. He didn't become "evil" as soon as we transitioned to the old testament, he was thrown out from heaven in the first couple chapters of the Bible.

Igor Igor

In response to “I didn't even read your comment all the way...

Satan had fallen prior to the garden of eden but his casting out was not reveled until Isaiah and Ezekiel but the actual event was not described until Revelations (New Testament)

VicZinc VicZinc

The original Hebrew word used for Satan means "the deceiver" or "the adversary". He specifically opposes mankind, but in the context of the Old Testament he isn't "evil" since he still serves God and even had to be given permission to test Job. Christianity has turned him into a dark deity and some people seem to hold him as an anti-thesis to God that is his direct opposition (even though the very belief that a Devil could oppose God as an equal is basically heresy).

ScottyD

In response to “The original Hebrew word used for Satan means...

I agree with most of this, except that he serves God. How is it that killing Job's family serving God? God did not command him to do that, neither did He convince him to trick Eve into disobeying God. At what point of I may ask does he turn evil?

Igor Igor

In response to “I agree with most of this, except that he...

There could be a few possibilities. It's possible that God didn't actually know if Job was honestly faithful. Or, as Satan is the accuser of mankind, it could have been a test to prove to Satan that mankind is ultimately good and will follow God. Both outcomes of which serve God. He either knows the truth of a faithful servant, or he sways the mind of their opposition. If you subscribe to the belief that God has a plan for existence, then nothing happens that he doesn't want. Even though God isn't mentioned as having taken part in the temptation of Eve, he would have known it was taking place, and it would have been stopped if he didn't want it to occur. There is actually a good parallel between both stories. Satan acts in different ways, but is aiming for the same goal. He means to turn a human being from God, which shows God whether mankind are as good as he claimed them to be. Satan being "evil" came with Christianity, and is very limited by human morality. Even in the confines of Revelation, he is again testing mankind to see who would follow him and turn against God once again. Most of Satan's actions involve proving the faith of humans, which serves God.

ScottyD

While you seem to miss the whole point of why Job was tested, my main question has to do with where you came up with the idea that the Satan of the Old Testament is different than the one from the New Testament. The Old and New Testaments confirm and complement each other; there is no incongruity between the two.

Scripture clearly calls Satan an angel, so I'm not sure why you make a distinction between Satan and an angel. He is said by the Bible to be the greatest of the angels, though he fell from grace due to sinful pride.

acsorg acsorg

In response to “While you seem to miss the whole point of why...

I have a somewhat unrelated question that I'd like to ask (which I hope isn't completely cliche to the point of you being sick of hearing it):

Do you believe the world is a fair place? Do you see that there are people who have to suffer for no good reason?
How is that not contradictory of God to "love all people" and then to allow innocent, loving people to die painfully and horribly every day?

I'd understand if you wouldn't really have an answer for that, and that you aren't a perfect representative of God's will. I won't hold anything against any religion for how you answer, if you do.

Watchful_questioneer Watchful_questioneer

In response to “I have a somewhat unrelated question that I'd...

Easy. There is no god so it's all random.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Easy. There is no god so it's all random.

And exactly what can make you so absolutely sure of that?

In response to “And exactly //what// can make you so...

Technically I can't. So I'll say that based on my understanding of the God of Abraham, if (s)he exists (s)he is not worthy of my worship.

Jesus, Mohammad and Buddha are closer to what I would expect from a loving god, but none of them ever claimed to be god.

So far I've not found any entity that claims to be a god that I would care believe.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Technically I can't. So I'll say that based...

Then it's arrogant to say it with such confidence when you yourself admit that you're unsure.

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23 NKJV)
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23 NKJV)
From these two passages we can conclude that no one is indeed "innocent" and therefore deserve death, meaning we are at the mercy of God.

Igor Igor

In response to “For all have sinned and fall short of the...

You might be, but I am not.

VicZinc VicZinc

That's ridiculous. What about those not even born yet? Surely they have not sinned yet, but they still die. And what of those whose deaths are more cruel than deserving for their sins? Not all sins are worth death, you know.

In response to “That's //ridiculous//. What about those not...

They are if you're a Christian

Igor Igor

In response to “They are if you're a Christian

That's a generalization. Not all Christians believe such a thing. And what if someone needs to sin to save someone's life? Do they deserve death?

In response to “That's a generalization. Not all Christians...

Well I think that if someone reads the Bible and believes in it then they will agree with what it says, the punishment of sin is death. As for someone sinning to save another's life a sin is a sin. If you saved someone's life by killing another man's life you would still be convicted for murder (if you cannot prove that someone's life was in jeopardy that is). I'm not saying that you'll go straight to hell for it but like a said it is a sin no matter how you put it.

Igor Igor

In response to “Well I think that if someone reads the Bible...

But would you say that some sin is worse than other sin?
And all are free to interpret the bible as they wish. Perhaps is was not intended to be interpreted literally, perhaps it was. We will never surely know.

"Believing in the bible" is different from "believing the bible". The former pertains to believing in the morals taught by it, and the latter is suggestive of directly believing every event in it occurred, and every word is the truth.

You believe the bible, and other Christians believe in it. Both are still Christian.

In response to “But would you say that some sin is worse than...

New Living Translation (©2007)
Everyone who sins is breaking God's law, for all sin is contrary to the law of God.
In our eyes yes some are worse than others, thus harsher penalties for bigger crimes. In the eyes of God however, all sins are equal and punishable by death.

Igor Igor

In response to “New Living Translation (©2007) Everyone...

Again, literal versus metaphorical. Those that believe in the message may not have faith to the religion.

Do you think that any sin deserves death?

I suppose that's why there are so many denominations agreed?

Igor Igor

In response to “I suppose that's why there are so many...

I agree. That's why I think it was a generalization to say that all sins are worth death if you're Christian.

In response to “I agree. That's why I think it was a...

My mistake then. As for your question as a human it is hard to imagine that for a little lie I am worthy to die and go to hell. However in the Bible it says we are to strive to be perfect like Him, so it's not like we will ever be perfect but bit by bit day by day we work on our imperfections to get rid of them. That's why I think Christianity is not just a go to church once a week type thing but a whole life-long process.

Igor Igor

In response to “My mistake then. As for your question as a...

I don't think it's so much about how often you go to church, but rather how close to heart you keep its message and teachings, whatever those teachings may be for an individual.

My favorite part of the Bible is context. You realize you are oversimplifying to the point of creating a logical fallacy, right?

Look at it this way. If you indeed are a created being, would not the creator have absolute freedom to do anything with you—his creation? Do you really feel qualified in your position to question your maker? The Bible also says God sustains his creation on a continual basis. If God suddenly decided he was tired of holding the universe together, he could just let it all go. We'd vanish. Yet here you are—living, breathing, and questioning. You don't take your questions far enough, though. You go just far enough to find excuses to doubt God. Why do you need to do this? What have you to gain? An absolution from guilt for something you are doing that you know isn't right? That's only human nature, but human nature is corrupted. Don't follow human nature; follow Christ.

acsorg acsorg

In response to “My favorite part of the Bible is context. You...

I love this comment.

BonslyGuy BonslyGuy

I also like the part where rabbits eat their own cud.

Discord Discord OP

I don't feel that people doubt religion just because they're looking for excuses to. I believe the most valuable thing (possibly the only valuable thing) about religion is the morals that it teaches. I don't believe faith alone has any meaning or importance. What matters is how you act in life, and if you don't need any religion to live with good morals, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Many people have more than enough reason to doubt God, and I think that that has no significance in their worth as people whatsoever. The only thing that matters is how one acts, and what morals one adheres to.

" If God suddenly decided he was tired of holding the universe together, he could just let it all go."

Hunger, corruption, war, destruction, diseases, natural disasters, crime, torture, rape.... I think he let us go a long time ago if he was ever here in the first place.

StealthApple StealthApple

atheismseemsmorelogialontheinterwebslulz

thatguys thatguys

My favorite is when King Darius banned all prayer that wasn't aimed at him. When Daniel continued to pray to God, Darius had him thrown in a Lion's Den. However, God protected the faithful Daniel, and he made it out alive.

Or, more to the point, you know the little anecdote of God sacrificing his son Jesus to save all of mankind, even though humans are all sinners?

You literally cannot look at one instance of something and expect to form an educated opinion.

BonslyGuy BonslyGuy

In response to “My favorite is when King Darius banned all...

This was a heart warming fable. I liked it too. There are so many lovely little myths, legends,and fabrication in the bible, and overall most are no more gory or horrible than anything the Grimm Brothers wrote.

VicZinc VicZinc

My favorite part is: Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

pingu777 pingu777

In response to “My favorite part is: Ezekiel 25:17. "The...

Ezekiel rocks! It reads like a pulp fiction novel.

VicZinc VicZinc

Well we have freedom of speech but if we shout bomb in an airport or say **** you to the principal we aren't getting away with it.

cookiedough cookiedough

I also like the part where Moses spoke with God face to face, and Jacob claiming to have seen God's face, but then the plot twist comes and you read about how no one ever saw the face of God...

Genesis 32:30
And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: “For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.”

Exodus 33:11
So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he would return to the camp, but his servant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not depart from the tabernacle.

Exodus 33:20
But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.”

John 1:18
No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

1 John 4:12
No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us."

StealthApple StealthApple

I see a reoccurring theme of "God isn't fair, so I don't like him" populating this place. Really?

If childhood taught us anything, it should have taught us that children shouldn't be allowed to decide what is fair, and God is far more knowledgeable than our parents ever were. They weren't perfect or holy or omniscient.

Yes, we look around and see terrible things that we don't understand. But to blame on God what we should take responsibility for ourselves is to continue making the same mistake we've been making all along--selfishness.

God didn't create imperfections. He created perfection, and we decided we didn't want it. Then, because God is LOVING, he provided a way for us to reconcile our differences with him. And people keep refusing it because they don't think God is FAIR enough. Then, to justify (at least in their minds) whatever they are doing is just and right, they need to pick apart the Bible by taking a few verses out of it and ignoring contextual and translation issues.

In short, this is not being fair to GOD. Stop pointing fingers at everyone else. Take responsibility for yourself. Don't blame your parents, the internet, or God for your faults. Just repent.

acsorg acsorg

In response to “I see a reoccurring theme of "God isn't...

I like how you took the Bible seriously

Discord Discord OP