Mod Team
So many religions, each with different gods. How many are real gods?

All

mileycyrusStepharoomylifeisflycrazyllamasriteamijraaeyballet_apocalypseSkr3wBallCloKamaliCocaia12912comedic_philosopherMoonbeamllamacornsparkles

Some

slairVicZincLance_bitner

Mine

pantherfanaticshadowmario580shelbmegenesabachthaniCraig_dontyouknowfieldhockeygirlPossimpiplezoidberg_coolFanaticpersonThingyxxdetroitxxMyvierusoloAmiriteDevlovereadingCuttlefishCullerharold5187

None

tallulahTheHalfBloodPrincessnameHoochellephaba101canyoupleasestoplt2010abetterdaytaghazelfguitarplayer213HopeImriteEmptyMelodiesLunatraAtheisticMysticNikola_Goddamn_Teslasmiles97LGM007still_no_inspirationJuliajumps06_Lord_Voldemort_Frank_n_FurterOMGWTFBBQPiperTheSlayerflynSpaghettiMonsterSuzywaomelisophoclesMyraniaCrazy_Hobo_99ParrocchettoHolocenePhilboydStudgeLenmuddyringletsTylerMayhemDurdenanononZachNSC14RobertSinebumblebearyeahiamritetyrannyvigilantkellyisabelQuantumMindfuckChelseaFC17GnarlyRantschellerz666alicesimms90

Other

Sophie31J_A_C_KSimz797Cellar_Dooranonymous_insertyearcookiedoughShadowofSinBenBiggsGlungoCrystalblue97BuddyCakesGLaDOSYouCanRebelAltoid_Freak_250fuzalaJamesBlindMistDaricStartupTiffanee

cremep0pstyrannyvigilant

Although I believe in none of them they've all had influence on people. Similar to how a character from a book- erm actually exactly like how a character from a book influences people. They're all real in an abstract way.

Len Len

there were polytheistic communities that worshiped the One Abrahamic God
but they worshiped others along with Him

so in that situation
they did worship the God I believe in

and of course there are many monotheistic religions

and Hinduism (and potentially others like it) has its monotheistic aspects
so I wonder if they include the one God

I also discovered tonight that the Hindu Scriptures have references to Prophet Muhammad
which I, of course, found fascinating
http://www.onislam.net/english/...-in-hindu.html

I'm gonna pick other

my answer is the One is real
There is no god but God

fuzala fuzala

In response to “there were polytheistic communities that...

I think the Hindu godhead Brahma had several god sons who themselves are gods. But not sure. I know the story of creation is very different than the Adam and Eve story. Does not sound like the same god.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I think the Hindu godhead Brahma had several...

I think I should say the one God instead of Abrahamic God in the very first line

I won't rule it out because pagan Arabic societies from pre-Islamic Arabia worshiped God (they even considered him Creator of the world);
however, they did not give Him sole divinity and said He had sons and daughters

I feel like Hindus could be on the same boat
no?

fuzala fuzala

In response to “I think I should say the one God instead of...

I believe we are all together and alone in the same boat we call earth.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I believe we are all together and alone in...

well I can agree with that
we are all on the same boat

fuzala fuzala

OH YEAH
I made a post about being on the same boat

I just had a bad conclusion that didn't make sense
http://amirite.com/742670-i-won...-like-that-its

fuzala fuzala

Len Len

In response to “Although I believe in none of them they've...

You make me emotional when I'm not even talking to you. (d)

shelbme shelbme

I like the way a lot of primal/tribal religions think about their gods, not a creators, but as keepers of order, a tree god, a water god, a fire god. They are the spirit within these forces but they do not influence outcomes, they just embody the essence of the thing. Like "tree-ness" or "kangroo-ness".

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I like the way a lot of primal/tribal...

There are also pantheistic religions that believe that the universe itself is "god". It's an interesting concept...

Logan Logan

What about ancient religions? This is why I'm agnostic. There have been so many people to believe in so many gods; I can't certainly say that there are none, but yet I can't certainly say that any exist either. Or maybe a god exists but nobody worships him or her yet, as nobody has created a religion under him or her yet.

Wunderscore Wunderscore

There have been hundreds of Gods worshiped throughout history, so probably none of them, but who knows...

StealthApple StealthApple

In response to “There have been hundreds of Gods worshiped...

Probably closer to thousands.

Heck, even millions.

Or possibly billions. Does anybody believe billions of gods have been worshiped?

LinksLegionaire LinksLegionaire

I totally get what you're saying, but isn't it possible that some of these many deities are just multiple names for the same god?

Originality_is_Dead Originality_is_Dead

In response to “I totally get what you're saying, but isn't...

That's the thought I've always had. Like every religion worships the same god, but has different interpretations of who he is.

J_A_C_K J_A_C_K

In response to “That's the thought I've always had. Like...

Interestingly (to me anyways) is that Ben Franklin thought about this an decided that there must be multiple gods.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

Almost every religion admits that sin is a problem. Only one completely dealt with sin.

danieljc2008 danieljc2008

In response to “Almost every religion admits that sin is a...

I did not know that, which one?

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I did not know that, which one?

Christianity. Jesus took the punishment that we deserve for our sins, every lie every theft, every lustful deed that each of us have committed, completely wiping then away. However for it to apply, we need to accept that sacrifice as our own, turn away from sin and live as Jesus would have us live-- right.

danieljc2008 danieljc2008

In response to “Christianity. Jesus took the punishment that...

We each live our own myth I guess.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “We each live our own myth I guess.

Why do you assume that its a myth?

danieljc2008 danieljc2008

In response to “Why do you assume that its a myth?

Do you assume it is not?

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Do you assume it is not?

I asked you first. :)

danieljc2008 danieljc2008

In response to “I asked you first. :)

Well, and not to sound like a jerk, but you asked...I do my own thinking. I do not let others tell me how to interpret literature. I am familiar with the laws of biology, physics, etc. So perhaps there was a man named Jesus that lived around that time and said some (or even all) of the things attributed to him [I have read the bible more than once]. But I do not buy: immaculate conception, transubstantiation, reanimation of mortified flesh, spiritual cures, and the like. So yes - I think it is a myth - that you are welcome to believe if you chose to.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Well, and not to sound like a jerk, but you...

Hm. Alright. I believe that it isn't a myth because- well, its a lot of connecting reasons.

I can't imagine there not being some sort if intelligence behind the coming about of the universe. I don't know how old it is, but that's not important right now.

Out of all the faiths and beliefs and religions in the world, Christianity seems to make the most sense to me.

Besides, in a world with no God, no ultimate meaning, no purpose, it seems... Hopeless.

There's more, but I'm at work currently...

danieljc2008 danieljc2008

In response to “Christianity=guilt.

Hey Mystic! Long time no argue! Reddit caught me... Anyway. Christianity may seem like a guilt trip from the outside, but its actually the opposite. Christianity = redemption. We've been saved from the curse of sin, from hell. Now somebody who's being hit with God's law should feel guilty, because they are guilty before a perfect, holy God. But the way out, the cure has been shown to us.

danieljc2008 danieljc2008

This sounds like a future POTD. My favorite posts are ones that make you think and create discussion.

Erythromania

I think they're all the same, just different names and interpretations. Well, most. Some religions aren't really about the love of God, but more about punishing others. But that also depends on one specific person.

ballet_apocalypse ballet_apocalypse

To me, religion is based on geography. If you were born in North America, you'll probably be Christian. Born in India? Probably Hinduism. Middle East? Muslim/Islam, probably. Religion isn't quite so clear cut.

guitarplayer213 guitarplayer213

Why is Judaism so small? I would think it would be bigger.

MusicIsAGift

In response to “Why is Judaism so small? I would think it...

Technically, Judaism is a tribal religion based on the descendants of a specific blood line. Makes you think doesn't it?

VicZinc VicZinc OP

Hmm, IMO, there is no higher being. We are all our own gods. We must love and treat ourselves (and others) as gods. I suppose I fall into the non-religious category. After studying the bible and Christianity for 14 years of my life, atheism is my conclusion. I was never able to unleash my logic until after I ditched religion. I live in full harmony. Hopefully the population of anti theists will continue to grow.

kellyisabel kellyisabel

In response to “Hmm, IMO, there is no higher being. We are...

It is amazing what can happen when you look in for support instead of looking out.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

I believe only in One God, which does not include any of THEIR gods, whom they have created themselves to suit their own sinful lives!

harold5187 harold5187

I believe that there's is only one God. Most of the monotheistic religions call him different names. For instance, in Islam he's called Allah, Jehovah Witnesses call him Jehovah, in Spanish they say Dios, some simply say God or Lord. He's called by many names, but they're all talking about the same one God, and like Fuzala said in her first comment, there is no God but God. There's only one Originator/Creator.

BlindMist BlindMist

there is truth in everything and love is the only thing that works Mad crazy love from your shauman

DaricStartup DaricStartup