A

iamthewalruskirrilleeFanaticBetterThanEzra1119xxdetroitxxWitty_sobjessakayetequianChelseaFC17theambersaurusEnd_Quote

A, B

stephx777tallulahBlacklightsAndQueensmileycyrusNitaCallahanLizzieAustraliaeldoritoSupper4dinnerellephaba101gbgkgdgfubrunetterox915superkeeliOriginality_is_DeadBananasSmellBadOfcourseiamriteRhahriiDeViino111Lindsay_Con_QuesocrazyllamasmadibSeptember128Inu_chanLordTrolldemortriteami_pi_schemaTYPOWoIverineIzzie_23EthanMontanaAtheisticMysticmyaccount91fireflyrageElocinStage3_Unicornsmiles97SwolshIchLiebeDichMelinaOozyRati_am_gingSergKatieerphotoice89Cuban_Blivelovemusic12coasterkidsb123Jay33721runningoutofspace

A, B, C

FrostehhmuttonduckMike_Hawkanonymous_insertyearSetUp4SarcasmNikola_Goddamn_TeslaCherrieBeesnakesonaplaneGlungoMusicianOfExtremesShannonIsAUnicornsonicyouthAmiriteDevRosinskaAnia

A, C

Orangies

Never

CiaramooniecakesLuv2golf42897KirstenAnnFaithfulAFreeElfcomedic_philosopherMoonbeamauthorkid94

Regardless of circumstances, administered by a professional.

awesomesocksTheHalfBloodPrincessMooseLAWLZAttackpwuahaRachelisCoolishScottyDCatAppAwesomeqwerty123rilaraStickCavemanFluoxetine_Ashlie_WunderscorepersonThingySuzywaoAltoid_Freak_250Cocaia12912KumquatUniverseanononVicZincGrayscaletyrannyvigilant

Other

BeccashelbmeJ_A_C_KDistinctionscookiedoughFrank_n_FurterWinniethePoohfuzalamakaholive22Luvmeplz1134Tiffanee

Suzywao
A person deserves the right to voluntary euthenasia if he/she is of age and: A: is terminally ill. B: is chronically incapable of caring for him/herself for any reason. C: is clinically depressed. If you choose other please explain in comments

there are about 4 types of situations for euthanasia
and I support 1 of them as far as I know

The one where treatment or life support is stopped because there is no hope for recovery

fuzala fuzala

fuzala fuzala

In response to “euthenasia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_u...

I think he may have achieved maximum troll level

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “I think he may have achieved maximum troll level

true true :D Master troll

CombatSkill CombatSkill

youth in asia!

CombatSkill CombatSkill

A few of my family members are clinically depressed, but their meds really help them.

muddyringlets muddyringlets

Death for all! I don't think we should be able to force people to stay alive against their will.

I plan on killing myself when B kicks in.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “Death for all! I don't think we should be...

If you were incapable of caring for yourself, wouldn't you be incapable of killing yourself? I think that we should be able to force people to stay alive against their will. A lot of things we are forced to do against our will like having to go to school at a certain age. It's for our own good I'd say. You have to pay taxes. You have to follow certain laws. You have to do this. You have to do that.

Anonymous

In response to “If you were incapable of caring for yourself...

I don't think so. I'll probably have enough explosives and firearms lying around at that age to kill myself a billion times over.

Going to school is different. Children don't really have rights. You are able to drop out of school without anyone's permission the minute you turn 18. Paying taxes is only required if you use the services that taxes provide. Hobos don't pay taxes. Unemployed people don't pay taxes. You can still choose not to follow those laws, you just suffer consequences. You can choose not to live, the consequence happens to be death.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “I don't think so. I'll probably have enough...

There are other consequences when the attempt fails. I just think that life is too valuable. You're going to die anyways. Why not delay it? Grin and bear it for a temporary amount of time even if it feels like forever. Even if things are so disgustingly horrible that you just don't want to breathe that in or breathe at all. Who knows if things might change later? It's not a guarantee that things won't get better. They might. Death is a guarantee though. There's gotta be a ton of people who had no choice but to live, and they realized that they're glad they were forced to do so. After all, suicidal thoughts aren't healthy. People should be encouraged to get help for them. People get suicidal for all kinds of reasons. Once someone's dead, they're dead. It's not a decision that can be taken back. I don't agree with the argument that "it's my body. I'll do what I want." People in society are interconnected and while it is your body, what happens to it influences what happens to those around you. Even if someone is happy about your death, who cares? There are others.

Anonymous

In response to “There are other consequences when the attempt...

That's why euthanasia is a good idea. Suicide attempts by regular people can fail, but euthanasia being administered by a professional wouldn't fail.

Why would I delay it if my life is horrible? I've seen what older peoples' lives can turn into, and I'd rather die than face that. And if one has a terminal illness or is that old, it's a guaranteed fact that things won't change for the better. At that point, it will only get worse. People should be encouraged to get help, but I still think suicide should be allowed to die if they want after help has been sought.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “That's why euthanasia is a good idea. Suicide...

It might fail with a professional too. The body can do many things to ensure survival. You would delay it because even though it's horrible, it's temporary. Either you'll be miserable for the rest of your life or things will get better. If the former occurs, it's temporary because you know you're going to die one day. If it's the latter, then, great. You also have to remember that our life is intertwined with others. In short, please don't kill yourself.

Anonymous

In response to “It might fail with a professional too. The...

If it's temporary and there's no more good in store, why not end it sooner? There's literally no upside to continuing living when life is already unbearable and it's only down-hill from that point. It is selfish to kill yourself because others care, but it is equally selfish to force someone to stay just because you care about them. Take my friend's grandmother, for example. She is in terrible condition. Her brain is racked with tumors and she is too withered to make it one room over to go to the bathroom. Her memory is so bad that she dropped a bottle cap and forgot what bottle it went to by the time I picked it up. The worst part was that there was only one bottle in sight. She's only getting worse from there. She's currently in a hospice just waiting to die, unable to distinguish between family members and constantly confused. Her family wishes she would pass so she wouldn't have to suffer anymore. Why shouldn't she be able to die if she wants? She has no option exception further torture until her body gives out. What's the point of living?

Sorry to disappoint, but I will be killing myself before I reach that point.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

I don't think you're seeing Mike's point of view. You're talking about suicidal people who might be going through a temporary problem in life and want to end it with suicide. Mike is referring to when he gets to a point in life where things won't really get any better. After about 30 or 40, it's mostly downhill as far as health goes. You might level off until you reach 50 or 60 but it's inevitable that at a certain point in life, the body starts to wear down. Cases of perfectly fit/healthy 80 year olds are very rare and those people still aren't as fit as they were when they were 20.

So if you're at the age where you're constantly suffering and nothing is getting better, it might be best to end it. That's a decision each individual has a right to decide for themselves; would they rather continue to suffer or break the hearts of their loved ones by offing themselves? As far as putting their loved ones into consideration, isn't it selfish for a loved one to keep a person alive when they know that person is suffering? If I was bedridden from a terminal illness and wanted to die, I would feel highly disrespected if my loved ones wanted to keep me around for their own sake.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

Please, nobody is grinning while shitting themselves in a hospital bed because they can't care for themselves unless they've lost all their marbles and find it funny.

Also, if one offs themself because they're depressed they'll never know if anything was going to get better so it won't matter if it actually would have. It's an invalid argument to say "oh you can't take it back once you're dead".

Only point i can't argue is about the people left behind that really care if you kill yourself over depression. But it's still not their right to impose a law that says you can't kill yourself. The "it's my body and i'll do what i want" argument holds true in my mind.

http://www.ethicalrights.com/su...uthanasia.html
John Stuart Mill, one of the architects of democratic doctrine, advanced the principle that ‘the only purpose for which power can be rightly exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant’

Kumquat Kumquat OP

Sure being forced into school is for our own good. But moreover, it is for the betterment of society. We aren't doing society any favors keeping people alive past their usefulness, not to mention past the time their will to go on has expired. Majority of laws that are for the betterment of society i'm all for.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

If you're suffering from clinical depression then no. People who are mentally ill shouldn't be able to make the choice to kill themselves imo.

CastleSkyles CastleSkyles

In response to “If you're suffering from clinical depression...

Why not? Why can't someone who wants to die be able to do so? Clearly they are suffering if they want to die, why is the reason relevant?

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “Why not? Why can't someone who wants to die...

because they are mentally ill
they may not be seeing past their current state

regular sadness isn't comparable to depression but an example could be when someone dies

there's this immense feeling of grief that seems permanent
as if you'll always feel like this
it's hard to imagine a moment when it's not going to be like that one day

fuzala fuzala

In response to “because they are mentally ill they may not be...

But clinical depression can be permanent. Why shouldn't they be able to die if they're always going to want to die?

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

In response to “But clinical depression can be permanent. Why...

the key word here is that it can be permanent
but knowing that for sure is impossible
because the future is unknown

there's counseling and medication out there
it might not fix the state
but it can help to control it

if the body can't handle a certain emotional state
it releases something (I forget what it's called) and kills the person
if someone's ready to die
the brain and body will see to it

personally, I'd encourage someone in any way I could to keep going
to try to change his/her mind

the exception I would make would be the one I listed as the first comment since there's no hope there
there's no point in wasting resources
and lengthening a person's suffering

so I'd say stop the treatment
but I wouldn't say accelerate death

my policy is do not lengthen someone's suffering
nor shorten it

I think that's the middle ground

fuzala fuzala

In response to “the key word here is that it //can// be...

I think that's ok for you to have your own opinion on the matter but what i disagree with is forcing it on others saying they don't deserve the right to die if they want to (no matter how temporary it may or may not be).

You may have read my above comment but i quoted one John Stuart Mill. He says ‘the only purpose for which power can be rightly exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant’ i find this to be quite fair.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “I think that's ok for you to have your own...

I like that quote, but I am not sure I can think of many examples when any action does not ripple out to affect others - even if it is only that taxpayers have to foot the bill for the burial plot.

VicZinc VicZinc

yeah that is my opinion
I think people have the right to live
but barring the exceptions, I don't think they have the right to die

and I disagree with Mr. Mill
there are some choices that one can decide for one's own good
I don't think that taking life is one of those choices

fuzala fuzala

In response to “yeah that is my opinion I think people have...

But if i can't do with my life what i will (as long as it harms no one else), even as far as ending it, then who does my life really belong to?

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “the Creator

That's not a fair argument. Not everyone believes in The Creator, and there is no absolute proof of the existence of a Creator. So to force that on someone is unacceptable. Anyone can make up rules of a made up God those rules can't be forcrd on anyone

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “That's not a fair argument. Not everyone...

I wasn't talking about everyone though
I was talking about who I believe life belongs too

I already know that not everyone believes the same
but what does what someone else believe have to do with what I believe?

fuzala fuzala

In response to “I wasn't talking about everyone though I was...

I was speaking of the legality of the issue. I didn't realize you weren't. If you aren't saying that it's right to ban voluntary euthenasia i agree to disagree with your opinion on the matter.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “I was speaking of the legality of the issue...

like I said before
I only support 1 out of the 4 situations with euthanasia
even with legality
I'm going to support that one situation

fuzala fuzala

In response to “like I said before I only support 1 out of...

I just feel that it's terrible that i can't do things that harm no one because of organized religions and peoples personal beliefs. They ought to not force their beliefs on me.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “I just feel that it's terrible that i can't...

hey I'm not forcing anything on you

you can't possibly think I'll go and support something I don't agree with
that makes no sense

fuzala fuzala

In response to “hey I'm not forcing anything on you you...

No no i'm not asking you to support it. But say there is a vote on it. By what you've said it seems you'll vote against it seeing as you don't support it

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “No no i'm not asking you to support it. But...

I see support and voting as the same thing
if I support
then I'll vote for it
if I'm against
I'll vote against it

I'm not against euthanasia completely
I support 25% of it
I'd vote against the rest of it

I'm going to vote the way I think is best
I'm not forcing you to vote the same way I do
you're able to vote for the option you think is best

this stems from the difference in opinion

fuzala fuzala

In response to “I see support and voting as the same thing if...

If you and everyone who votes the same get their way then your personal beliefs are going to be forced on everone who doesn't share them....

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “If you and everyone who votes the same get...

I feel if I vote all for it
I'll be saying it's all okay
when I don't think it's all okay

you know what I mean?

we can't satisfy everyone when it comes to what's best

fuzala fuzala

In response to “I feel if I vote all for it I'll be saying...

Yea. You could just not vote though if you feel forced to bring personal beliefs or religion into it

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “Yea. You could just not vote though if you...

everyone brings their personal beliefs into voting

they each vote for what they think is best

fuzala fuzala

In response to “everyone brings their personal beliefs into...

Ok what i'm saying is that when a person goes to vote what they ought to have on mind is what's best for society as a whole. What they believe on a personal level should not interfere with others lives.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “Ok what i'm saying is that when a person goes...

yeah exactly
this is what I, personally, think is best for society as a whole

I'd say that's how most people vote

fuzala fuzala

In response to “yeah exactly this is what I, //personally//...

Ok well if you're of the belief that you know better what someone else ought to do with their own life (whether they are terminally ill, mentally ill, depressed, or anything at all) then i'm not changing your perspective. I'm of the belief that no one but the individual consenting adult has control over what they do with their life. Until someone dictates what i eat for breakfast i'm doing what i want with my life.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “Ok well if you're of the belief that you know...

that's not what I am asked though
I'm not asked if I want to dictate someone's life

I'm asked if I support the legality of something

laws dictate the lives of everyone

fuzala fuzala

In response to “that's not what I am asked though I'm not...

Laws are meant to dictate peoples lives on a social level. What doesn't affect society does not concern society. An individuals voluntary death in a nonviolent manner does not affect society. Society does not have the right to tell an individual that he/she cannot be administred euthenasia by any professional. Ones life belongs to the individual and only the individual.

Tell me, do you think society in fact does have this right? If so, why? And who does the person's life then belong to? Not any potentially made up "creator"

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “Laws are meant to dictate peoples lives on a...

that's the thing
euthanasia does influence society
what happens to the people in society
influences society as well

if euthanasia was just concerning the individual
then we wouldn't be voting on it

and I think society has the right to see to what is best for its people
the trouble is that not everyone has the same idea as to what is best so we settle for what the majority thinks is best

and I already answered who I think life belongs to
and that's who I think life belongs to

someone else may think differently
and that's his/her choice to believe differently

there are atheists who are against many forms of euthanasia too

and as I said before
I'm not against euthanasia totally
I follow the middle ground

fuzala fuzala

In response to “that's the thing euthanasia does influence...

How does euthenasia for one affect another? It definitely does not harm anyone else in any way. Yea maybe it will make some people sad but that's not a good enough reason. A lot of things make people sad and aren't illegal.

It shouldn't be voted on it shouldn't even be questioned because even to tell someone "i give you the right to die if you want" is a bit conceited because it is no one elses concern. The only reason it is is because the government buckled under the pressure of people who questioned it's morality due to religion and we all know religion has no place in government.

Society does have the right to see to what is best for it's people but absolutely not against a persons will unless that person is doing something that harms society. And like i said, the individuals voluntary death does not harm society. Besides if the individual is to the point of requesting euthensaia they can't be in the right mind or position to be providing for society or anyone else anyways.

It matters not who is for and who is against it for it does not concern them. If they don't like it they aren't being forced to take it yet they want to deny it to people who do believe in it.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “the Creator

Tyler Gregory Okonma known as The Creator? The American rapper and record producer?

VicZinc VicZinc

It is just sad that we treat end-of-life decisions for our pets with more compassion than we treat those decisions for our human loved ones. If someone is ready to go and, makes that choice with a sound mind, then we should honor it.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “It is just sad that we treat end-of-life...

That's a great point. I never considered the whole pet aspect of it.

I mean, it's definitely understandable that you don't want to see a loved one die and want them to always be around forever, but I think we (or some people) need to realize that our loved ones aren't going to be around forever and need to stop acting as though we can stop the inevitable.

"It's easy to cry when everyone you ever love will either reject you or die." -Fight Club

StickCaveman StickCaveman

Usually depression is temporary and treatable

Gavin Gavin

In response to “Usually depression is temporary and treatable

Yes, but the question is "does this person deserve the right to die on his/her own terms"
I feel like your answer is "no"

Kumquat Kumquat OP

"Usually depression is temporary..."
?????????????

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

In response to “"Usually depression is...

Keyword: usually. It means not always but most of the time. He wasn't referring to clinical depression. It's like, I'm not diagnosed with depression but I can feel depressed sometimes. This is an example of a type of depression that won't last forever (even though clinical depression can be "cured"). I know it's true because every time I've felt depressed before, no matter how long it lasted, it's eventually gone away.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “Keyword: //usually//. It means not always but...

Okay that makes more sense. There's a difference between having clinical depression and just being depressed.

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

I really think A is the only acceptable reason for euthanasia. But then again, I'm a strong believer that every person has a purpose and we're all alive for a reason. Personally, I've suffered terrible anxiety to the point where I've thought it would be so much easier to take my life, though I've never really considered myself suicidal. The point is, it got better because I realized that I'm worth something and I wasn't put on this earth to just live. I was put here for a reason and God has a plan for me. When my purpose has been fulfilled, He will call me home, but why would I end it early just because I'm sad or panicked about something?

Fanatic

In response to “I really think A is the only acceptable...

That's fine to believe in what you want to. But one has absolutely no right to tell another that he/she can't do something that won't harm anyone but the individual and may arguably even be better for them.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “That's fine to believe in what you want to...

I don't see how death is better for anyone. It harms the people who knew that person. And to me, death isn't a natural or beautiful thing. Life is. So why wouldn't I do all that I can to keep people from killing themselves just because they're depressed? I would want that person to stay alive for as long as possible in hopes that they can find some beauty through the sadness.

Fanatic

In response to “I don't see how death is better for anyone...

It's not all about depression. There are other reasons.

It's a nice sentiment for you to care about people that way but in the end it's their life, not yours, so it's not your call. For you to feel it's right to have that power over someone elses life is wrong in mine and a lot of other peoples opinion.

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “It's not all about depression. There are...

Like I said, I think terminal illness is a good reason. Nothing I ever say or do will stop a person from finding a way to kill themselves if they really want to. But I can do everything I can to change their mind and keep them alive for as long as possible. Never did I say I would ever force someone to stay alive

Fanatic

In response to “Like I said, I think terminal illness is a...

That is perfectly acceptable i only disagree with laws saying a person cannot end their life if they so please

Kumquat Kumquat OP

In response to “That is perfectly acceptable i only disagree...

Well I mean, why would that even be a law? What're they gonna do, arrest the person who killed themselves?

Fanatic

In response to “Well I mean, why would that even be a law?...

the law would be to prevent professionals from assisting in suicide

fuzala fuzala

In response to “the law would be to prevent professionals...

See, that's what I don't agree with. If people are suicidal, get them help, don't help them kill themselves. The only acception would be if they have a terminal illness.

Fanatic

In response to “See, that's what I don't agree with. If...

the first comment I made explains my position on euthanasia

I support the stopping of treatment or life support if there is no hope for recovery
so subtract the medicine

I don't support the acceleration of death by adding medicinal means

my policy was to not lengthen suffering nor shorten it

fuzala fuzala

Euthenasia isn't legal everywhere

Kumquat Kumquat OP

I'm not going to tell a consenting adult what he or she can and cannot do to his or her own body, as long as it doesn't cause damage to others who aren't consenting such as smoking or drinking and driving. I also feel that a peaceful death such as one brought on by medical professionals at the request if the dying would be easier, from the family's perspective than a brutal, painful suicide performed by someone who likely didn't know what they were doing.

Wunderscore

If the doctor's are not allowed to assist with the person's death, they should at least not be forced to eat, so if they choose to stop it is their own decision.

insachel insachel

A and B cannot really be helped, C can.

Chickensoup123