muddyringletsWunderscoreAlexCarlileThePillowUniverseTiffanee

VicZincdevinnocterumAubsStickCavemanRyuuChuckTom

Nobody :(
A minimum price on alcohol is a good idea. Amirite?

An Irish person who wants an inflated price on alcohol? Well there goes that stereotype!

Sorry, I kid! Getting back to your post, I'm not sure whether I agree or not. In Australia we have relatively high taxes on alcohol, but it hasn't made much difference to alcohol consumption or alcohol related violence and illness in recent times. So price doesn't seem to be the determining factor for excessive drinking. On the other hand, you wouldn't want the price too low to encourage excessive consumption. It's a tough one, but more avenues need to be explored.

Crumpet_nose Crumpet_nose

In response to “An Irish person who wants an inflated price...

I don't drink at all, so there goes most Irish stereotypes. A big problem we have here is supermarkets lowering the price of alcohol to stupid levels, to entice customers in. People like me come along and can get lethal amounts of alcohol for very low prices. Minimum pricing would, in my mind, reduce binge and under age drinking.

muddyringlets muddyringlets OP

Ask yourself... how much would your consumption of alcohol change if the price changed? Of course if the price went extremely high you might cut off consumption entirely, but if alcohol were free, would you instantly become a raging alcoholic? Would you drink it every single day?

StickCaveman StickCaveman

I don't think making a minimum price on alcohol will decrease binge or underage drinking. People will just buy the cheapest beer whether they like it or not. It's the buzz and good time they are after, not quality taste.

I don't drink, but I don't think it's fair to make a minimum price. The alcohol industry is a business, and should be able to determine their own price.

Society needs to change its values, not create new laws to parent the irresponsible.

Aubs

In response to “I don't think making a minimum price on...

But some prices here are too low by far. You could drink five euro and need your stomach pumped. Ten euro could be enough to kill you.

muddyringlets muddyringlets OP

In response to “But some prices here are too low by far. You...

But just because you can buy a ton of alcohol for a small amount of money, it doesn't mean you're going to drink it until you're half dead. A person will drink until they're satisfied. Now this is where it varies from person to person. One person might be satisfied with being buzzed while another might have to get "wasted". Money isn't really the issue here; it's self-control.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “But just because you can buy a ton of alcohol...

A lot of the people who take advantage of offers such as this are teenagers. They have no self-control. Not only have they not learned their limits, they're purposefully drinking to get drunk.

muddyringlets muddyringlets OP

In response to “A lot of the people who take advantage of...

That's their problem, not society's. They know the affects of alcohol and shouldn't drink it if they aren't responsible enough to handle it. We shouldn't handicap or punish those who do right because of those who do wrong.

Aubs

In response to “That's their problem, not society's. They...

What if those who do right pay taxes, and their taxes are spent cleaning up the messes of those who do wrong? Most people that drink, drink responsibly. And most people that drink responsibly don't buy drink using these offers. These offers are used, almost exclusively, by people who are drinking irresponsibly. I'm not suggesting placing a huge tax on alcohol, or pricing it so that the cost goes up everywhere. I'm suggesting putting a minimum price on alcohol, so that the shops that offer these really low-prices, can't.

muddyringlets muddyringlets OP

In response to “What if those who do right pay taxes, and...

We already pay tax money "to clean up the messes of those who do wrong": people living on welfare and foodstamps, greedy politicans, health treatment for druggies, living expenses for prisoners, ect. I don't get why we should single out drinking.

Again, I believe government should stay out of business affairs, which includes making minimum prices for goods and services. I'd rather see laws that tax businesses for finding cheap labor over seas but reaping the benefis of being in the United States.

However, I don't know the situation in Ireland so maybe you have a point.

Aubs

What do you mean by 'offers'?

Also, teenagers drinking to get drunk has nothing to do with the price of alcohol. It has to do with the stigma that alcohol has (at least in America anyway). In America, teens view drinking as this rebellious activity to look cool in front of their stupid little friends. They don't care about price; they care about getting alcohol because the teen who provides his friends with alcohol is the coolest one in the group.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “What do you mean by 'offers'? Also...

Sorry, I'm getting you confused with Aubs, who I explained the offers to.

Some supermarkets offer ridiculously low prices on alcohol to entice customers to shop there.

I can tell you from being a teenager, that over here at least, drinking has nothing to do with being rebellious. If anything, it's rebellious to not drink. It's become common practice to post a status on Facebook if you come across anywhere selling alcohol particularly cheaply. If alcohol weren't so cheap, these teens wouldn't be drinking as frequently, because quite simply, they couldn't afford to.

muddyringlets muddyringlets OP

In response to “Sorry, I'm getting you confused with Aubs...

Hmm... that's interesting. Well I can't really comment for Ireland because alcohol is viewed differently than in America.

StickCaveman StickCaveman