Mod Team
Since atheism is still punishable by death in at least 13 countries, it seems that their efforts and energies would be far better spent focusing on THOSE countries rather than trying to convince all believers in America that there is no God!   <strong>Amirite?</strong>

freespeechfreelancerHayzehleDWFSpillbergJennitaliaAmiriter38653ChaseSinclairTrishusamanaaz3VrendowlDamiTiffaneeTheDarkJokerChuckTom

Blue_eyed_readerstill_no_inspirationJimiHendrixchellbo11TommyUK1234personThingySobriquetsoberlikekeshaMidgetismBrokangazabanda

Nobody :(
Since atheism is still punishable by death in at least 13 countries, it seems that their efforts and energies would be far better spent focusing on THOSE countries rather than trying to convince all believers in America that there is no God! Amirite?

Explained by freespeechfreelancer...

Notice that most (if not all) of the countries mentioned are controlled by one religion - and it is NOT Christianity. America and Christianity allows for the practice or any and all religions (or non religions), but that is still not good enough for some groups. One would think that atheism would be far more concerned about removing the possibility of death in these other countries so that freedom to worship or disbelieve would be realized for all. Trying to limit, restrict, or even remove the rights of many in this country JUST so your group can make a statement seems like much ado about nothing (literally).

Atheism is not an "it" atheism is a lack of belief. Not an organized movement like a religious sect, atheism can't focus "its" energies.

As an atheist I have no desire to convince believers there is no god, rather I want to convince them 1) that their god has no place in government policy making and 2) that consenting believers can practice whatever rituals they want in the privacy of their own homes (and their church lairs) but please don't that shit it in public, the rest of us find it very unsettling, and quite disturbing.

Atheist

Atheist

In response to “Atheism is not an "it" atheism is a...

Tell that drivel to all and every atheistic non-profit organization in the United States. Google atheistic organizations to see how many actually come up. And they are in the news regularly and often because of their "cause" to fight religious symbols and freedom in America. They could not go to Court, Congress, or the Supreme Court if they were not an organized movement.
You all love to claim to belong to nothing, when in fact, you do and won't admit it. It is impossible to belong to nothing and be an "island" in society. Everyone belongs to an organized group in some way or another. All groups have causes and are seeking THEIR version of what the world ought to look and act like.
Since NONE of you find any other form of make believe, fantasy, or myth in public offensive or deserving to be removed from society, your logic regarding a specific brand of religion (Christianity) or a God, is unwarranted and illogical. If you feel a need to remove all religious symbols from government and society, then please remove all other "invisible" characters that impact society on a daily basis. The fact that God's influence is so prevalent in the founding of this country and in our history "should" cause a person such as yourself to consider the possibility and fact that there is a God. He never did fit in to the category of make believe or myth. That is something atheists have created to escape dealing with the reality of a Supreme Being.
I find your disbelief very unsettling and the views of your leaders (like Richard Dawkins) highly offensive. BUT, I do not wish that you keep yourselves locked in closets, at private meetings, or silent in public. Say whatever wherever. But expect to always be in the minority opinion and belief (unbelief).

freespeechfreelancer freespeechfreelancer OP

In response to “Tell that drivel to all and every atheistic...

OK I did. It says "Organisations working for the civil rights of atheists, promoting separation of state and church, and providing information about atheism. "

Yes. You fight for Free Speech. You fight for gun ownership. You fight for religious freedom. I fight for SEPARATION of CHURCH and STATE!!!!

I don't throw it in YOUR face the some of the founders didn't own guns. I don't throw it in YOUR face that some of the founders thought censorship was warranted. They all agreed, in the end, that free speech and gun ownership were ESSENTIAL. SO don't throw it in MY face that a few of them might have thought Jesus was a god. In the end THEY ALL AGREED that CHURCH and STATE MUST BE SEPARATE! PERIOD! SEPARATE! No religious crap in government. No prayers schools, no "god" in the constitution. No 10 commandments in the courts. None. None. Keep that crap in your church not in my government.

I get it that they do say prayers in congress. THEY SHOULD NOT. I get it that they swear on a bible in court THEY SHOULD NOT. SEPARATION! That is what the founders wanted SEPARATION. It is as fundamental as free speech and gun ownership. Get it right - there is to be NO god in government!

Atheist

In response to “OK I did. It says "Organisations working...

Separation of church and state is NOT in the Constitution! So you are fighting ghosts. If you actually understood what the founding fathers intended, you would KNOW that they never meant for religion to NOT be part of daily life or EVER in government. They specifically did not want to occur ever again what they already had their fill of in England - a government run and controlled church! Congress is to establish no law "respecting" an establishment of religion OR "prohibiting the free exercise thereof." I have every right to practice MY religion any where I choose, and Congress is not to interfere with that. You have the right to practice your beliefs, but since you have none, you wish to take my rights away.
Your government? What happened to government BY the PEOPLE and FOR the PEOPLE? If I am a tax payer and free citizen of this country, I have every right to say what I choose AND observe any religion of my choosing. My tax dollars are just as credible as yours. If I want to pray in school or read a Bible, that is MY business, not the government's! The government got in the business because of all the cry baby groups feeling offended over a God they say does not exist! How can something offend anyone if it isn't real and never existed? That is laughable. If God is not real to atheists, then they should IGNORE it and go about their business, just as I do when I see others practice things that I may disagree with or disapprove of. I do not believe that I should stop their practices, or government would not exist at all. If I had my personal way, Obama would be tried for treason and dereliction of duty - a Commander who has broken his own law and bypassed the process of Congress by abusing Executive order.
You obviously need a good solid lesson on the history of this country and those who set it up. All were not Christians, but MOST believed in a Supreme Being and Creation. ALL Ivy League Colleges were started to train preachers and missionaries (Princeton, Harvard, Yale, etc.). Most every early American child learned to read FROM a Bible, as it was the key textbook in the classroom. If the founders intended what you are claiming, then the practice would have been such from the beginning and the inception of our country. BUT it was not. The separation of church and state issue is fairly new and was designed by angry people like yourself who can't stand the idea that there could possibly be a Creator who is bigger than human beings. God is everywhere, and even if you tried, you could never "remove" Him from anywhere or anything. If you don't want me to have a law against abortion, then surely you can allow me to continue pleasuring and amusing myself with my "invisible" friend. Since He does not exist to you and your kind, just pretend you don't see or hear anything about Him as you go about your business. My tax dollars fund abortion, gay and lesbian issues, and a host of other things I have no choice or say about. I would love to separate those things, but can't. People can not be separated from what makes them "tick." We are mind, body, and spirit. To tell a person that once they enter a government building they must leave their spiritual part of their life at the door is total lunacy. And for you to target me because I have belief and a God is equally ridiculous. Based on your logic, Obama should not be President. He claims to believe in God and to be a Christian. The world will NEVER be rid of religion, and government certainly should not be either.

In response to “Separation of church and state is NOT in the...

This is comedy, so I won't take it seriously.

Atheist

In response to “This is comedy, so I won't take it seriously.

Freespeechlancer: you pleasure yourself with your "invisible" friend? Surely that's not appropriate

still_no_inspiration still_no_inspiration

In response to “Freespeechlancer: you pleasure yourself with...

Nice spin - I think we call that bait and switch. Shows where your 2 heads are at!

And Christians are killed in many places, especially in the Middle East. Yet most American Christians are more concerned with being "persecuted" for not being allowed to force schoolchildren to pray and the "war on Christmas" and things like that rather than true religious persecution that occurs in other parts of the world.

Logan Logan

In response to “And Christians are killed in many places...

Now you know how I feel when I read your posts.

Logan Logan

In response to “Now you know how I feel when I read your posts.

It is called "tolerance" for a reason.....

Good thing that's not at all what we're doing in America.

I find it hilarious that conservatives feel this victimized when people try to give all religions equal opportunities, as opposed to having Christianity dominate in daily life and politics. But thanks for being so nice and not killing us, you ****.

Sobriquet

In response to “Good thing that's not at all what we're doing...

This is why I love you.

But seriously: yes, there are some atheists who are trying to convert everyone to atheism. Good luck with that. Waste of time and completely ridiculous on all fronts. But a lot of what atheists try and do is not give special treatment to a particular religion just because it happens to be the most followed religion in the country. And that can sometimes come off as "suppression" and "conversion" when it is really anything but.

I am probably in a slightly different camp. I don't mind public Nativity scenes and people praying at council meetings. As long as it's also okay to display a menorah or pray to Allah during a city council meeting. Equal opportunity for all, rather than none.

Logan Logan

I just really hope that Zeus doesn't read this thread. Though if Hera is off on one of her "torment the mortals" sprees, there's no telling which websites he will go to. With Hermes in charge of the IT department, we are all in trouble.

DW2 DW2

In response to “I just really hope that Zeus doesn't read...

Nice pretending..............

In response to “Nice pretending..............

Why are you being so insensitive? I personally strongly believe in Greek Gods and for you to discredit that as offhand is incredibly offensive.

death_or_glory death_or_glory

In response to “Why are you being so insensitive? I...

The comments are in my OP and I took the liberty to assume you were being "offhand" by suggesting that Greek gods may somehow be more supreme or important to you than the Christian God whom I revere. If I was incorrect or offensive, then my apologies. But surely you know that Zeus, Hera, or Hermes will have absolutely NOTHING to do with this post or these comments. IF you truly believe such, please provide intelligent input as to how or why.

They know better. Rofl.

Dami Dami

In response to “They know better. Rofl.

Deep down those who preach wonder...

DW2 DW2