Mod Team

• Topics:Religion
  • Featured on the home page on Aug 3rd 2014
  • Post Of The Day on Apr 9th 2014

fuzalaHayzehleDWFPhilboydStudgeaveragegirl1Loganvballace21samrecanJamesBuddyCakesTristinpreteenJennitalianevans7AnonwhaleamItheonlyonewhoYouCanRebelJohnJillkyjoshualivingston564xxdetroitxxAmiriter39114TrishChaseSinclairBlackVanillariteamiovadelimitLeyTheFleaZaraZooperhugoTommyUK1234hayesnatanp1nkbr0YellowishC_ZAR1ChuckTom

still_no_inspirationBubbleGumGuyTruuninjaSobriquet

Nobody :(
Certain people don't want to give religion any credit when the good things associated with religion come to mind. These same people want to give religion pretty much all the credit when it comes to the bad things, though. This is certainly an unfair imbalance. Amirite?

When I see the positive outcomes of religion (which do not outweigh the liabilities by any means) I also observe that those same positive outcomes can be easily obtained in a secular way.

There isn't some secret form of happiness and good that comes from religion and religion only.

speckleasme speckleasme

certain people refers to religious and irreligious people

people favor their own beliefs
but with other religions
will lay all the "bad credit" and not the "good" credit

and irreligious people do the same but with pretty much all the religions

instead they favor lack of religion

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “certain people refers to religious and...

I bet Mr. Z would say "I am not certain of anything" in reference to my last sentence "This is certainly an unfair imbalance" (maniac)

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “I bet Mr. Z would say "I am not certain...

I am not certain what I would say.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “I am not certain what I would say.

ohhh
but "somewhat certain versus absolutely certain"

fuzala fuzala OP

He among you is the wisest who, like Socrates, knows that his wisdom is really worth nothing at all. (Apology 23b, tr. Church, rev. ****) - That the wisest of you men is he who like Socrates has learned that with respect to wisdom, he is truly worthless. (tr. Tredennick) - He, O men, is the wisest who, like Socrates, knows that his wisdom is in truth worth nothing. (tr. Jowett)

moontone

Probably just another example of confirmation bias.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

It IS an example of the confirmation bias. People who only focus on the bad things do that because that's all they WANT to see.

Logan Logan

This is so true

samrecan samrecan

The same could also be said for some religious people towards atheists or non-affiliates. the bias goes both ways.

YouCanRebel

In response to “The same could also be said for some...

I didn't say it didn't

I was focusing on religion
and since atheism isn't a religion...

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “I didn't say it didn't I was focusing on...

i realize that, i just think people should be aware that one group is not entirely at fault

YouCanRebel

In response to “i realize that, i just think people should be...

but I blamed both religious and irreligious groups when I defined "certain people"

that covers everyone pretty much

either way
I see your point
because you pointed out another combo

fuzala fuzala OP

speckleasme speckleasme

In response to “When I see the positive outcomes of religion...

and you're doing what my post says

there isn't some kind of negative that comes from religion and religion only

"which do not outweigh the liabilities in any way"
disagree

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “and you're doing what my post says there...

It depends on how specific you get on this topic. I could say that religious wars are caused by religion and religion only, and you would respond by saying that there have been plenty of other wars for non-religious reasons.

About your last statement there, what are the benefits of religion?

speckleasme speckleasme

In response to “It depends on how specific you get on this...

most wars are secular
so still not religion and religion only
just like you said I'd say

and even in "religious wars"
there was the reason for wanting land, resources, etc.
so still not religion and religion only

the benefits vary from person to person
google it

I don't want to share my own
for reasons I don't know how to word

the duties have had physical, mental, emotional, etc. benefits for me

fuzala fuzala OP

You've given me a new perspective on the negativity of religion. I still think, however, that a world with no religion would be better. Yet, it would also be more boring to an extent.

JohnJillky JohnJillky

I'd argue that it's just as common to give religion credit for good things and when it causes bad things to just push the religion aspect aside.
I mean how often do you hear people speak of terrorists or the Westborough Baptists and hear them say "They're not real [religious people]."? That to me doesn't make sense.
I agree that someone who sees only the bad in something they don't like is unreasonable, but it goes both ways, and it happens with so many different things, to say that it's unfair on religion isn't something I agree with.

Truuninja Truuninja

It differs among individuals, whether they have ever felt the influence of religion or not..

Take me for instance, I have an immense BELIEF in my religion, and even in bad times, it is this belief that fosters my movement, and never lets me step back. And to me it has always worked.

Religions are just a "belief" that there is SOMEONE who's making sure you get the best you deserve out of life.

So even when you get what doesn't look good to you, it turns into something better if your belief doesn't fail... It's not a fairy tale.. As much as some people fail to agree with, this always applies to my life..

ZaraZooper ZaraZooper

Many seem to blame religion as the root of all evils... but I think evil exists regardless of religion.

hugo

In response to “Many seem to blame religion as the root of...

Sadly, we will never know

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Sadly, we will never know

Nonreligious people surely do bad things. I think we do know.

JohnJillky JohnJillky

In response to “Nonreligious people surely do bad things. I...

ah - a neutered dog will still hump your leg - but if there was a world in which all dogs were born sexless would one still hump your leg?

In a world with religion, non-religious people do "bad" things - mostly because religion defines what is "bad".

We will never know if "badness" would exist in a world where there never was any religion to define "bad".

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “ah - a neutered dog will still hump your leg...

Religion isn't the default position though. People generally figure out what's bad without religion through experiences. Yes, morals would be different but some would most likely be the same because they aid in our survival as a species.

JohnJillky JohnJillky

In response to “Religion isn't the default position though...

I totally agree.
My point being: we will never live in a society in which religion is completely absent, so we will never know, for sure if evil would still exist.
It might but there is no way to test that theory,

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “I totally agree. My point being: we will...

Id say its EXTREMELY likely we'd still have morals. Other animals probably aren't religious and they have their own moral codes. But I guess there's no way to KNOW for sure

JohnJillky JohnJillky

In response to “Id say its EXTREMELY likely we'd still have...

Yep. But also - morals =/= evil.

Can you have morals and also not have "evil"?

telling lies, adultery, lechery, etc. might be "immoral" but, are they evil?

I asked before, what is evil?

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Yep. But also - morals =/= evil. Can you...

We've talked about this before and agreed, I think, that there is no objective morality. Everyone has a different moral code. Evil includes the things that go against one's code I guess. I don't think lies are inherently immoral. Others do.

JohnJillky JohnJillky

In response to “We've talked about this before and agreed, I...

Not to re-hash old conversations, but...
to me "evil" is a noun
not an adjective.
I do not think it exists.
It certainly cannot exist without religion to provide the (opposite noun) good.

When juxtaposing the objects
good/evil :: god/devil
you need one to have either
and when you have one you have both

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Not to re-hash old conversations, but... to...

Good and evil don't exist objectively, but subjectively. Subjective good and evil would exist without religion. The good and evil in all religions are subjective actually. Yes, you need one to contrast the other for either to exist subjectively or objectively.

JohnJillky JohnJillky

Lets start a village in absence of religion and completely isolated from everyone else. M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" style, but without the crazy.

Kumquat Kumquat

i think evil exist because we already have the basic idea of good and evil

moontone

science, religion, how about philosophy?

moontone