"Draw Muhammad" events may be offensive and tasteless, but does this mean they shouldn't be allowed?

VicZinc

Explained by Logan...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/03/garland-texas-shooting_n_7201314.html

My right to swing my fist ends at your nose

Good question

How about a
"Flag burning" event
"Chant 'Gays must die' " event
"Lynch a black manikin" event
"Make a hat out of a dead cat" event

I am not sure where
your freedom to assemble and speak
bangs its cheeky head against my civil rights

really an excellent question!

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “My right to swing my fist ends at your...

Some of it depends on a incitement to violence. "Flag burning" doesn't urge anyone to commit acts of violence. But lynching a black mannequin and saying "gays must die" might. While I do have freedom of speech, the moment I start urging people to kill certain people, it might be crossing the line. However, drawing a picture of Muhammad is not the same as calling for the death of certain people.

Logan Logan OP

Overt threats are a little different than the destruction of symbols or mere mockery, no?

Wunderscore

In response to “Overt threats are a little different than the...

To me they are.
Some people go ape shit over sysmbols
-That guy who peed in the crucifix
-Flag burners incite mobs to violence

Nothing bothers me much
but I see others totally freaking out over the weirdest shit

I cannot say if they pain they feel over mockery is more or less than the pain I might feel from the loss of an eye.

VicZinc VicZinc

Of course its should be, and IS allowed.
Its also apparently excellent bait to draw out radical Muslim cockroaches so we can shoot them down.

Daver Daver

In response to “Of course its should be, and IS allowed. Its...

Um, are you a troll?

Cowboy_Bob Cowboy_Bob

All truly free citizens have the right to free speech and the free expression of ideas, no matter how offensive or controversial they may be to others. There is not an exception to this just because you happen to be a Muslim who's offended. Muslims are not a special protected class. And to those who keep whining (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, NYT, WAPO, etc) about how these "offensive" acts are inciting others to violence and that somehow it is the offensive act that is to blame rather than the person or persons committing the violence, I say to you that you have absolutely NO idea what the concept of free speech and free expression truly means. NO ONE in a free country has right NOT to be offended. Whether it's a protest by the Westboro Baptist Church nutcases, a march by the neo-Nazis or a Muhammad cartoon contest, it is the concept of free speech and freedom expression that must ALWAYS be defended.

daveatxxx

I honestly don't care whether they're allowed or not, but if you participate you're kind of a ****

DWF DWF

In response to “I honestly don't care whether they're allowed...

No law against being a ****. Nor should there be.

Bozette Bozette

No. If limits were imposed on speech, then by definition it would no longer be "free". There is no right to not be offended. Any attempts at defining what is "offensive" or "tasteless" would simply be arbitrary, as what people find offensive/tasteless varies widely. That would be a slippery slope we do not want to head down.

Bozette Bozette

No, we have the freedom to make humor on anyone or anything although I often wonder why people would want to instigate problems by creating things that show disrespect for something others worship

JohnT JohnT