TiffaneeVicZincC_ZAR1Ang98betzLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredkjkjharriteamiTanor_Fauxjule_syblindfaithsunshineofthesoulSugarSkullTheRedJesterFeedFwdJerryHendricksonmarkus97SeanMcDonaldMeliciousTomboyJanetTrishclayslayerEftiJuliaGuliacali93GizzmyOzzieBrianHandscombKaren_GDr_DoomxXPurpleGuyXxTheAmazinZeddSukiesnowBuddyCakesEternalSailorSolOzSurferWill_Janitorspartaneliteismegoblue1968AzakPhilboydStudgeaedKinetheraleli666CarmoBub

Lil_PrincessBozetteTransquestash9683irishBudwickCharudeath_or_gloryDeadcutieJohnTDakotaErdmannYoAdrienneTreeTopLizardLordGlisDamiCaptainPikachuLindaMshaugnesseyFrank_n_FurterrhiannicholeMs_KrisBobelleSobriquetSugarSkulhootowlTheDarkJokerJustJimColoJohn123456789NikwaAntmans_monica4ChuckTomdiotimaredmask38MyBandObsessionsection105fanColmbeforethestormWalt_OReagun

PhilboydStudgeLil_Princessdoctorwho1011TiffaneeChuckTomC_ZAR1OzSurferBILLWill_JanitorEftiKaren_GDr_DoomSukiesnowJohannaAskeladd_Von_MorbidJasmine69Steven_NargarothLexxxiBub
There is no giant problem with the school system. Teachers work hard and care about their work (generally). Parents suck. Parents are starting to suck more and more. Children are literally left to their own devices because parents can't be bothered.

I would have liked the option to choose "other." The "giant" problem with the school system is not the teachers; teachers are awesome. The problem is that it's too controlled by the government. So what we get is kind of an indoctrination. Yes, neglectful parents are a huge problem but the schools need to be fixed.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

Where I live both a majority of the teachers and a majority of the parents suck. If you have money and play sports there is never an issue but those who have parents that cannot afford it or are low-middle income, well they don't stand a chance. I know when I got deathly sick and had to drop out of sports, my whole world was turned upside down. I made A's but the teachers treated me differently. I spent a lot of days hoping that my illness would take me so I didn't have to return to school.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

Not all teachers suck, not all parents either. I have a coworker with 3 children & the school treats each one differently. 1 child has learning disability so they are on him for every little mistake. They want him gone. 1 child is popular, cheerleader & school treats her like gold. Both those two have about the same grades. Child 3 is invisible. Good grades, ROTC, mom doesn't ever know what's up. Same school, different grades, same mom n dad. Figure that out.

Cauzisaid

There are good, bad and mediocre parents, just as there are good, bad and mediocre teachers. Teachers and schools are not synonymous. There are many good teachers who must follow not so good, or even bad, school policies and procedures.

Bozette Bozette

Other. Both suck.

Transquesta

parents need to work to support kids. perhaps t he solution is to have no kids.

irish

I agree to a point. Whoever came up with the modern day math curriculum should be kicked in the balls! The amount of people I hire who have no basic math skills amazes me.

DW2 DW2

Really. Tgere should be laws about having kids, you too stupid no kids. Too poor no kids. Too lazy no kids

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Really. Tgere should be laws about having...

i think that is a horrible idea.

TheRedJester TheRedJester

I think there are more caring parents than intelligent teachers.

JohnT JohnT

In response to “I think there are more caring parents than...

Te problem is that it only takes a few of either to gum up the works!

FeedFwd FeedFwd

Some teachers are good. Others, not so much. The main problem is it being taken over by the liberals though.

DakotaErdmann DakotaErdmann

In response to “Some teachers are good. Others, not so much...

I think it would not as much of a problem if there was some means of holding people accountable.

FeedFwd FeedFwd

I'm sorry, I don't understand your statement, please elaborate.

shaugnessey shaugnessey

parents can be careless.

TheRedJester TheRedJester

To really understand the problems, you must look at the motivations of all involved. School is compulsory and free and for many parents that equates to free baby-sitting. If education were not compulsory and were not free, it would be a burden to some. But parents might think twice about having kids they couldn't afford and would be motivated to find a school that would take their kids and would be motivated to ensure their kids took advantage and at the least, didn't get kicked out. In that kind of environment, schools and teachers would have to compete for students, either based on past performance, cost, convenience, curriculum, extra-curricular offerings, or any number of criteria. Without public funding and government meddling, schools could adopt common core or corporal punishment or any other teaching and discipline methods that would attract students tuition dollars. Since the public already pays for a great deal of education, it wouldn't be much of a change if the money were provided directly to needy students or their parents to be spent with the schools/teachers of their choice. Better schools and better teachers would be able to command better pay and still fill classes. Teachers could more easily free lance if they wish, offering private classes, in home teaching, or affiliating with schools Think music lessons/education). We'd probably see more things like Kumon and Sylvan Learning centers and other differentiated offerings and everybody would be better off except for incompetent teachers and poorly operated schools.

FeedFwd FeedFwd

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

Our school is rubbish, along with many other schools. There aren't enough extracurricular activites and the "no cellular devices" rule is stupid too. Kids are going to bring their phones to school anyway, so they might as well stop making such a huge deal out of it. If a kid does something they aren't supposed to with the phone, they should punish them...but banning cell phones and any other technology is just a bit too much. And then there are those teachers who just get all their info from a textbook. "Copy the board everyone" Then, class is over. How is that teaching? As for bad parents, those are everywhere! Lots of them just didn't have a plan.. So they're figuring it out as they go. It usually ends up damaging the kid though.

Dami Dami

In response to “Our school is rubbish, along with many other...

They just spent thousands on IPads for the school classes here.. Its no wonder the clerks at the stores don't know how to count out change anymore.. there is some damn electronic device that tells them how much to give back.. I went to a McDonalds and told the girl I wanted the 2 for 2 bucks breakfast sandwiches,, she said,"We don't have that anymore.. the sandwiches are a dollar a piece now..

clayslayer clayslayer

In response to “They just spent thousands on IPads for the...

haha, something very similar happened to me in a coffee shop recently. I almost said to the girl, how the hell did you even get the job?

Tiffanee Tiffanee OP

In response to “haha, something very similar happened to me...

We shop at the local Winn Dixie. and their machine has the part that tells them what change to give back close to the conveyor belt,, I will sometimes lean on it and cover it with my hand, just to hear them holler."Move your hand, I cant see how much change to give you...I tell them.. learn to count... and then when they tell me how much the bill is, I ask them if they take Federal Reserve notes as payment.. .. most of them say No.and I ask them what do you take.. they say, credit cards. and money...

clayslayer clayslayer

I think kids should have to hand in their phones at the start of the day and pick them up again at the end of the day. I can't see one single reason why a child needs a phone while in a classroom.

Tiffanee Tiffanee OP

In response to “I think kids should have to hand in their...

I see little kids with freaking cell phones,, playing away with some app or the other.. texting,, it is sickening what technology is doing to people..

clayslayer clayslayer

I want my son to have his. Just in case. Turned off. But accessible.

shaugnessey shaugnessey

cell phones should be banned everyplace. People need to concentrate on real life not phones!

Agree strongly. Parents can use backwards ideas to mold kids into culture warriors too.

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

Did you see on TV where parents spend more time on their cell phones and other electronic devices than they do with their children? I see parental neglect all the time, I know people that put their kids out to play and dont let them back in untill diner time..

clayslayer clayslayer

In response to “Did you see on TV where parents spend more...

And parents allow kids to be on their computers or phones or both all day/night long. When I was a kid, we were allowed one hour of TV on a weeknight. Now kids seem to have full control and do whatever they want. Parents used to use TV as a babysitter for their children, now it is the computers and cellphones but I think it is even worse now because a lot of parents are no better than their kids.

Tiffanee Tiffanee OP

hell when I was kid, we didn't have TV.. Cell phones and calculators and such were just dreams... closest thing to a computer was an old cash register at the local store.. Our dads spent time with us, playing ball, going to our games and participated in the scouting program right along with us.. I teach the shotgun shooting sports and one of our clubs requirements is that a parent accompany their child during the 4-H meeting.. Parents started dropping the kids o f and driving away.. The next time I saw them I let them know I wasn't their damned baby sitter.. Some took their kids and dropped out of the program.. I actually feel sorry for some kids today.

clayslayer clayslayer

In response to “hell when I was kid, we didn't have TV...

We had all that stuff, I am only 26 but we were made (and enjoyed) to learn a musical instrument, we drew and painted, we went for walks and swam a lot and we also talked a lot....remember that kiddies?

Now kids just stayed glued to their computer and cellphone screens.

Tiffanee Tiffanee OP

We kids,, 6 of us in our neighborhood, no girls.. always were doing something.. playing ball, going to the creek and catching crayfish to eat, building and flying kites,, fishing,,

I got socks older than you...LOL Enjoy that youth.. old age creeps up on ya before ya know it..If it weren't for my outdoor activities, I would probably croak..

clayslayer clayslayer

As a parent with children in school, I would say this statement is neither true nor false. Yes, some parents suck. Yes, some teachers suck. Blame cannot be solely placed on either.

I also read a lot about how kids are always watching tv or playing video games. Frankly, I don't see it. Walk outside in our neighborhood and there are always kids outside playing. Hot or cold outside.

I also see more good parents, and good teachers than I see bad.

shaugnessey shaugnessey

A lot of these new millennial parents don't know how to raise kids. They let 'em act any kind of way to their teachers.

cali93 cali93

I would say there are definitely some incompetent parents out there; however, from what I saw in my own schools, many teachers are only willing to teach so much and in only one way, and if that doesn't reach every student, they can't be bothered to care. The parent must play a role in educating their child, but that is also the primary position of a teacher. Also, with some of the things that are happening in schools (common core math), many parents don't know how to help their children.

rhiannichole rhiannichole

Many parents expect the system to bring their children in line.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Parents are definitely a huge part of the problem, but the education system is too complex to say that there is just no problem with it. Especially in America.

Sobriquet

Teachers are having too much put on them, but I don't believe it's because parents don't care. Back in the day, Mom stayed home, Dad worked and was able to make enough to support Mom and the kids. Not today. Mom and Dad both work and it's still mac and cheese and hot dogs just before payday. Parents can't do what it was they used to do, they're too busy trying to hold body and soul together.

SugarSkul SugarSkul

You sound like a teacher.

hootowl hootowl

You are correct. Parents pop out kids when they can't afford them then expect the state and schools to feed them to watch over them and more. Look you have kids it is up to you to care for them and teach them whatever the school isn't.

I don't know about the USA, but in Canada it seems it is true in a lot of cases, but not all.

EternalSailorSol EternalSailorSol

In response to “I don't know about the USA, but in Canada it...

How about that antiquated argument they are having in Canada against the **** education....you would think they would let the teachers have at it since most kids don't get the info at home...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I agree because I really think the people that produce kids need to take care of them. I didn't have any so why am I expected to pay the school system forever more?

I wish that there was a choice for "Other" on this poll. I agree with much of the supporting statements about hard-working and caring teachers in general, but I disagree that there is no giant problem with the school system. I see a giant problem with a school system which routinely passes students on to the next grade when they are obviously not competent enough in the grade they have just completed. Too many children are graduating without math skills and English language skills sufficient for them to adequately function and earn sufficient income in today's world environment. If the parents can't contribute to their children's educational progress, then don't just arbitrarily and routinely pass the kids on to the next grade before they are competent in the grade they just completed. That might get more parents' attention.

goblue1968 goblue1968

My parents always look after me and ensure I'm looked after, but not too much. Your statement is too generalized. Not everybody's parents suck. I do think the school system is rigged though. You're right, it's not the teacher's fault, as they don't run the school system. The board of education and the horrible new curriculum is rushing through lessons before children can process the information.

redmask38 redmask38

I agree. I hate when parents get mad at teachers instead of at their kids. I get to see some of those kids at school. Gosh theyre brats.

eli666 eli666

I agree that parents are starting to suck more and more, but as a Math teacher I'm noticing that most of the issue is with technology unnecessarily being used in classes where they don't belong. Ipads have made so many teachers stupid and lazy, and the children are not only very distracted, but have trouble learning anything through those things.

If it's important to teach kids about technology, then have a class dedicated to technology. Don't ruin other subjects for the sake of it.

What's even worse is that with the increased usage of these devices, administrators are blindly throwing away every other resource...

I've had to secretly store my old Math Books year after year because these new age books are being forced to every teacher, mostly for the sake of money---Not only are they one-use disposable books that get torn to pieces by mid-semester, but they are so poorly constructed that students would actually NEED to go to online resources in order to understand the HomeWork from the book.

Even worse is now the principal from my own childhood school has decided we don't need to keep the library around anymore, so despite the protests from kids and teachers alike, our library is going to be torn down in favor of absolutely nothing else.

ALso, every year these kids are coming in with a worse foundation and that's because basic skills are being overlooked for the sake of Common Core BS. The idea itself is terrible in that it replaces the repitition foundation (ie times tables) with nonsense (how do you feel about 2+2, does it seem like 5, well then that's OK because you're special!). But in practice it's even worse. It's just nothing...

Everything that my student's actually understand by the time they enter my class is something that their parents taught them, and we already know how that's been going-if for no other reason than because of a newer society with a working Mom, but there are so many other issues than that

I always remember feeling like my school would teach to the stupid kids and that the smart kids just got overlooked. So no surprise that Kids are getting stupider across the board. Even when it comes to using these smart devices, they don't have any connection to what it means anymore. The many apps/games etc. that iPad's use are basically a caricaturizing of everything. Think of those farm games that turn the value of real farminghard work, outdoors, live off the landinto a video game that is so simple and mundane that even as a video game it is a caricature of a real video game.

I'm rambling, you can use your iPads all you want without more guilt trip from me on this post. Heck, I had plenty of screen time when I was young. But school is where a kid deserves the same or better than his parents, and these kids are getting a lot of passive, 0 attention, lazy teaching, even though you're average private grade school costs as much as college did 10 years ago. And the reason for all of that is using technology as an excuse for teaching when any tech company will tell you that they are creating programs for no other reason than to make you into a heroin addict for their product (sorry)

I could go on for days, clearly, so I'm just going to stop typing now. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything, I'm in my 20s so not senial I don't think. This is just plain and simple what I've seen from schools and kids for the past 14 years teaching and tutoring.

Colmbeforethestorm

In response to “I agree that parents are starting to suck...

That was quite a thoughtful post that you provided. This is quite an old opinion thread (my last posting in this thread was a year and a half ago). Since you are a Math teacher, I felt obliged to tell you something. I happen to be very good at math concepts, and as such, I spent my career as an engineer and scientist quite successfully. But recently, I tried to help my 10 year old granddaughter with her math homework and it was not easy for me to explain to her how to do the particular problems. The methodology being used in her textbook, although logically correct, was not as simple as the methodology which I used all my life and was taught to me during my math classes in the '50s and '60s (with a few short cuts my father taught me to be able to do calculations quickly in my head). I am finding it easier to explain simple math to her by playing Monopoly games with her and having her understand the math involved in doing all the transactions with the money. I am continually astounded by cashiers who cannot quickly give me change back for my transactions without consulting with the screen of their register to tell them what the correct change is.

Oh, and just a friendly spelling correction in your last paragraph: it is "senile", not "senial". I was also a former spelling champion during my elementary school days.

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “That was quite a thoughtful post that you...

I was just talking with a friend the other day about the methodology they "demand" kids use in school these days. Methodology be damned. Let the kids use whatever method they want, as long as it gets the correct answer. That's all the "real world" cares about. It doesn't matter if you use a spreadsheet, 10-key, slide ruler, or abacus ... as long as you get the right figures.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “I was just talking with a friend the other...

Funny you should mention that, because I found my old slide rule while I was cleaning out my desk in my den last week! When I was still in school, pocket calculators hadn't been invented yet!

goblue1968 goblue1968

Nope. The problem with the public school system is the teacher's union and government trying to "reinvent the wheel". If we want America to be in the international top 10 - let's just copy what works for countries that ARE in the top 10.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun