fuzalaPhilboydStudgeStickCavemanLil_PrincessSukiesnowTanor_FauxBubTiffanee

GlisBozetteWill_JanitorMoragTomboyJanetcali93

Lil_PrincessPiper2TiffaneeWill_JanitorChuck_Tom
People forget to finish their thoughts when they say "I got spanked as a kid, but I'm still fine you ninnies." Should be "I was spanked and I turned out fine, but imagine how much more amazing I would have been if I hadn't been" amirite?

I agree that there is a percentage of parents that take corporal punishment too far, and there are children that do not respond well to a spanking. I don't consider a swat on the butt to get a wayward child's attention the same as whipping them with a belt that leaves welts on their backside. I believe your statement is way too general as are the studies that support your conclusions.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In my personal experience, physically hitting children as a form of punishment just makes them sneakier and more determined. Which may or may not be a bad thing.

MisterH MisterH

In response to “In my personal experience, physically hitting...

'twas a good thing for me! and also a bad thing cuz I stole. But a good thing because I can get crafty revenges

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “'twas a good thing for me! and also a bad...

I knew a lot of kids that stole stuff when they were younger. It was just a phase.

MisterH MisterH

I know a good many people and children who should have gotten it.

Glis

In response to “I know a good many people and children who...

I know a lot of people who should have gotten a bullet to the head but does that mean I'm right? Am I a good judge of who gets a bullet and who doesn't?

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “I know a lot of people who should have gotten...

How can you compare shooting someone with a bullet to a spanking? They are totally different. Smh

cali93 cali93

In response to “How can you compare shooting someone with a...

The beauty of an analogy

The point is just because you think someone deserves s punishment does not mean they actually deserve it

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “The beauty of an analogy The point is just...

But it's not your business on how parents decide to discipline their children. I don't see a lot of you people complain about parents who feed their children unhealthy meals, allowing them to watch TV, own phones at the age of 2 even though it's considered dangerous by many pediatrics. The excuse is always "There's no right way to raise a child." However, when it comes to spanking, all of a sudden the PC police come out telling parents how detrimental corporal punishment is yet there is no evidence that it's bad unless they are beaten badly. I guess that's why kids today are becoming a lot more disrespectful.

cali93 cali93

In response to “But it's not your business on how parents...

It is my business to give an opinion on the matter

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “It is my business to give an opinion on the matter

And that's totally fine, as do I too.

cali93 cali93

I'm not telling parents how to raise their kids. If someone wants to spank their child they can go right ahead. My parents were spanked and paddled in the 50s. They grew up fine and never laid a hand on me.
Still, it is my firm belief that spanking a child is completely unnecessary. It doesn't teach any lesson other than "don't get caught" and "it's okay to hurt people if I feel they deserve it." Spanking is the easy way out for parents who aren't creative enough to find other ways to discipline.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “I'm not telling parents how to raise their...

I still believe spanking is necessary for misbehaved children. I don't see how it teaches children to "not get caught". That can happen to any child being disciplined, spanked or not. Whether you say you're not telling parents how to raise their children you still judge them for it as you did with "anonymous". Example, comparing spanking to shooting. The government is already thinking about enforcing laws against corporal punishment. Sounds to me that parents are already being told how to raise their kids.

cali93 cali93

In response to “I still believe spanking is necessary for...

The idea is that you explain to the child why what they did was wrong and that they should never do it, then it educates them on the matter. When you only inflict punishment, the child doesn't know the activity is wrong but that rather they had better not be caught doing it.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

BTW.
Spanking isn't Capital punishment. It's corporal punishment.

Glis

In response to “BTW. Spanking isn't Capital punishment. It's...

That was the only punishment I found for topics

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “That was the only punishment I found for topics

I hear ya'. Finding the right label can be obnoxious sometimes.

Glis

And what I've noticed is these people do it when they're angry or frustrated

So it's kinda like parents having a tantrum when they lay out a can of **** whooping

Kinda hard to spank a kid when you're calm, eh?

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “And what I've noticed is these people do it...

Any punishment is going to be counter productive when ranting and raving in an emotional state.

Glis

If it's to get their attention when they're about to do something dangerous I don't believe that would be in the category of parents having a tantrum.

Morag

I never ever hit my kids and they grew up to be fantastic people and parents....I just respected them and they respected us....

JD JD

In response to “I never ever hit my kids and they grew up to...

I swear kids learn much more from what they see

Telling them doesn't become enough until later
That part takes longer to learn

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “I swear kids learn much more from what they...

Our kids, four of them, knew they could ask and tell us anything and we would listen and decide the best way foreward...it worked...they did learn from their life experiences....

JD JD

In response to “Our kids, four of them, knew they could ask...

Gosh you must have been the model parent. My kids didn't listen most of the time, they think I don't know half of what they did and they shocked the hell out of me with their goings on.
In spite of all this they have turned out to be adults any parent would be proud of.

Morag

In response to “Gosh you must have been the model parent. My...

They were not always well behaved, but they responded to what they were told ...

JD JD

In response to “They were not always well behaved, but they...

I used to read the local newspaper to see which reports I thought fitted them.

They were lively laddies and caused me more than one grey hair but they're fine young men now. I'm very, very proud of them.

Morag

Short story about my two friends and their child I think you'll enjoy:
So initially they said they wouldn't spank their daughter. She (the child) had gotten to this stage (1 or 2 yrs old) where she would hit people and her parents would tell her, "no, you're not supposed to hit people." And she listened. Several months to a year later, the girl was throwing a fit and at a loss her dad ended up spanking her a few times. She immediately told him, "no! You're not supposed to hit people, daddy!" And so he never did it again (even though he never really intended to in the first place). But it just goes to show that children listen and they can logically comprehend things like rules and examples you impose. If you're raising your kid right, you don't have to spank them.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “Short story about my two friends and their...

Parenting is hard and I'm not a parent so I shouldn't act all high and mighty towards the ones that choose spanking

And you're right, I did enjoy it

fuzala fuzala OP

Thank you Dr. Spock for those words of wisdom.

dru18 dru18

Even if studies strongly suggest physical punishment reduces one's "amazingness", how it affected me as an individual seems complete conjecture.

Having said that, it would love to know how it affected me personally.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Must be nice to be able to see into the future... maybe you could turn your hand to something a little more useful, like predicting next weeks lotto numbers ^_^

Anonymous01

Well, I didnt' get spanked as a child, so I guess I'm about as amazing as I could have been.

Linnster Linnster

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I prefer "I was spanked as a kid, and now I want to be violent to my own children

DWF DWF

In response to “I prefer "I was spanked as a kid, and now...

I was spanked as a child and I was not violent towards any of my children.

Morag

I'm not one the people who's ever said that, but I've not imagined much about how "amazing" I might have been if not for being raised with corporal punishment, either.
I HAVE speculated a bit, about how being beaten or spanked might affect one's feelings of self-worth, when a kid isn't even quite sure what they did wrong.

Piper2 Piper2

"Ninnies? A swot on the butt to get their attention when they're about to run into the street is acceptable. I'm old enought to remember when children were spanked, not beaten, and they were a darn sight better behaved. You seem to be voicing your experience.

Morag

If a child is being unbearably cruel, then I think a spanking is in order.

Children have to be taught there are CONSEQUENCES, and 'time out' just doesn't cut it.

dru18 dru18

In response to “If a child is being unbearably cruel, then I...

Oh man

You always preaching to me about sadism

Yet you got a a cat busting the hell outta that animal

Hypocrisy over and over

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “Oh man You always preaching to me about...

fuzala it always so entertaining when you prove to me and the whole world what an idiot you are.

I don't know if it's a communication problem or if you're just as stupid in your own native language.

Really? You're going to equate a Warner's cartoon from the thirties to a video of a cat being mauled by dogs?

dru18 dru18

In response to “fuzala it always so entertaining when you...

I’m just as stupid in my native language

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “I’m just as stupid in my native language

Well at least you have a sense of humor.

dru18 dru18

(-Janet don't post something dirty- -Janet don't post something dirty- -Janet Don't Post Something dirty- I think there is a reason for spanking being where it is, because our butts can take pain they cuishon our falls to prevent bone fractures.........also if he doesn't spank me how will I learn....DAMMIT JANET!!!

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

You spare the rod you spoil the child.

cali93 cali93

In response to “You spare the rod you spoil the child.

My Nan went for me only one time as a Girl with her dreaded Cane.

I said "if you touch me with that I'll never speak to you again"

because She had used it on all her Children , it stopped her in her tracks and She never threatened me with the Cane again :)

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

Most people dislike finishing that sentence that way...since it might somehow admit to some shame or failure.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I spanked my kids when they misbehaved and they turned out great, couldn't ask for better men.

StarzAbove StarzAbove