Mod Team
Was life really so calm in 1950-60?

Don't remember those decades.

TrishJamesTanor_Fauxcali93SukiesnowMazeGiorgosYanidisRaul_eg11bird1986Sunny_the_skeptic

Yes it was a wonderful time.

goblue1968hootowlWill_Janitor

Other

DWFPiper2Darkest_SerenityDandyDonJanHaskellLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredGunStephenB

Piper2dru18DandyDonWill_JanitorSukiesnowMaze
Was life really so calm in 1950-60?

Explained by LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred...

Today I happened to see a very old re-run of May berry USA. There was a criminal trying to drive away Sheriff Andy Taylor shot at the car, tire maybe and the car gently hit a light post.. and Andy ran over and arrested the guy. Tell me what you think would happen in today's world.

It was a wonderful time cause I was a kid and didn't know what was going on outside of my little world. We didn't have 24 news coverage and TV was limited to 3 channels of black and white. I don't really know how affected the adults were during the 13 day Cuban missle crisis, but if that was today the shit would be hitting the fan something fierce! :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I don't know if it was "so calm", but it was simpler and a lot of fun. We knew our neighbors and looked out for each other. I loved it. (a)

JanHaskell JanHaskell

OK my idea of what would happen today is like this. The bad guys are trying to drive away. Cop isn't walking of course, so he puts on his siren and lights. The criminal speeds up and tries to get away by driving 60 in a residential area. Some kid is skate boarding and is hit by the criminal's car. So they set up a barracade with spikes to stop the car. When it is stoppede the criminal jumps out and starts shooting at everyone in town. Eventually, the sharp shooters are called to take this criminal out. They shoot him in the shoulder, which forces him to stop shooting. When the criminal gets out of the hospital he sues the city for police brutality and throws so racial cards into the mix. He eventually wins 2 million which forces the town to go bankrupt. Now you all think up your own short story. :)

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred OP

OK I envision a criminal trying to drive away, the police is of course not walking so he turns on siren and lights starts pursuing the criminal but that criminal will not stops and tries to get away by driving 60 in a school zone. some kid is skateboarding in the middle of the road and is hit. The police call for backup and the speed squad comes with spikes to stop the car. The tires are all blown out and then the criminal jumps out and starts shooting everyone in sight. Finally a sharp shooter hits the criminal in the shoulder which causes him to fall. When the criminal gets out f the hospital he sues the town and while he is still in jail he wins 2 million for police brutality and racial profiling because he had blonde dreadlocks. Now the city has to go bankrupt to pay the criminal his money. Now you all make up a story of your own. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

It sure looked like Fonzie had more fun..

DandyDon DandyDon

Life was very calm, it was easy,it was safe, friendly, people were happy.....

JD JD

I was not even a tingle in My Fathers Loins in the 1950's

https://youtu.be/OgxVj_xsL6w

I Love the music from that era

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

On the outside, maybe. But on the inside, tensions were building up to the point of exploding into the sixties.

And many many people lived in terror of the realities of a atomic explosion.

dru18 dru18

In response to “On the outside, maybe. But on the inside...

Oh ya I remember hearing about that. Seems silly now

In response to “Oh ya I remember hearing about that. Seems...

Not if you were in the middle of a cold war with Russia who also posses the Atom Bomb.

I wasn't alive then, but I know the fear was real. My parents couldn't figure out how they were going to get off Long Island if New York was bombed.

dru18 dru18

Dwight D Eisenhower (R) served as President from 1953-60. Here's his inaugural address in 1953, it's kind of an interesting view into the zeitgeist of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWJ9slccZg

Maze Maze

A ditzy teenage girl gets pulled over for not using her turn signal.
SEVEN police cruisers are involved (in a town of 6000).
This isn't a 'made up' story. It just happened 10 minutes ago. lol

This wouldn't have happened in 1950 -1960. One cop, and HE probably would have changed the bulb for her.

SolitaryMan SolitaryMan

In response to “A ditzy teenage girl gets pulled over for not...

Really why 7 cops? They must be very inept.

In response to “Really why 7 cops? They must be very inept.

7 cruisers!! ... no, they are just paranoid.
I'm surprised they didn't impound her car.

SolitaryMan SolitaryMan

No, it wasn't "calm" at all. There were numerous serious conflicts going on, both in my country, and all around the world.

It was a pretty good time for me, because I was a kid with caring parents.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “No, it wasn't "calm" at all. There...

As vicious as my parents could be with their 'disciplinary' tactics, they were also good and caring parents.
I was shielded. They made me go to bed when Peyton Place came on (no) YET, they allowed me to watch Huntley & Brinkley with the Vietnam footage.

SolitaryMan SolitaryMan

In response to “As vicious as my parents could be with their...

Okay, SolitaryMan. That thing about having caring parents really was irrelevant to this question. Aside from the many conflicts that I knew were going in my own country and around the world, I did feel somewhat safe because I was a kid with parents who cared about their two offspring.

They was nothing "calm" about those years for me, OR the world.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Okay, SolitaryMan. That thing about having...

Nope. Turmoil for years. Cold war, Cuba, Vietnam, Kent State, DNC '68. YIKES!!

SolitaryMan SolitaryMan

In response to “Nope. Turmoil for years. Cold war, Cuba...

All those things, AND the segregation/busing conflict, the assassination of a president, his brother, and the most feared and loved civil rights activist in this country. There is that too.......

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “All those things, AND the segregation/busing...

Yep. The way people nitpick today, can you imagine the panic they would be experiencing back then...when the sky WAS falling?

SolitaryMan SolitaryMan

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gp5JCrSXkJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Piper2 Piper2

There was much more freedom for kids in those times. We could leave the house at sunup, with a drink and sandwich along, go exploring our area, eat lunch but had to be home by sundown. Today, kids aren't allowed to walk home from park without child services going after the parents. We are turning our kids into wusses. We'll be ripe for invasion and take over with what is happening today.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

I wasn't born yet.

cali93 cali93

I also think that back in those days people used to hide their batshit crazy instead making a reality show out of it.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I wasn't alive then, so I'm not sure, haha.

StephenB StephenB

People felt safer and in my opinion they were safer. Fewer cars on the road, people tended to trust others, children played outside until dark. Today we tend to thrive on filthy music, reataliation through violence and lawsuits if we don't get our way. It was a much gentler time all around.

betz betz

No. I'm pretty sure no decade was without it's karma.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I was just a little kid in the '50s and went to high school and college in the '60s. I remember the '50s being pretty carefree for the most part, but we got a little paranoid when Russia launched the Sputnik satellite and Khrushchev pounded on the table at the UN and shouted "We will bury you!" I remember that in the '50s, polio was the big scare of the time and most of us kids got polio shots. My parents had a big 'ol '53 Buick and take us kids for Sunday drives out in the country for fun. It was also a big deal every year to go to downtown Detroit at Thanksgiving to watch the parade and at Christmas time to see all the stores decorated.

goblue1968 goblue1968

I don't remember, those were the times even my parents weren't born.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic