<b>If someone collapsed in front of you, what would you do?</b> <em>Please respond before glancing at previous comments.</em>

Lil_PrincessSynyster TiffaneeChuckTomDandyDonWill_JanitorSukiesnow_Sid_
If someone collapsed in front of you, what would you do? Please respond before glancing at previous comments.

I'd like to think the first thing I would do is see if they merely fell or if something more was wrong and, if so, call 911.

Linnster Linnster

There are many things to consider at a glance. Age, weight, is their skin colour changing? Undo tight garments. Speak to them if they can respond. Make them comfortable if possible... Phone 911.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “There are many things to consider at a...

Sukie, unexpected/sudden tragedies are sadly a part of life.

It's always those who've NEVER felt the PAIN of an unexpected tragedy who are the very people to cast their stones of JUDGING with how THEY would have done things differently.

I am one of 4(all girls), yet it's my sister who has no children who constantly critiques(behind our backs) about how her 3 sisters are raising HER nieces and nephews and how messy our homes are lol. and how if she chose to have children HER children would be blah, blah, blah.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Sukie, unexpected/sudden tragedies are sadly...

I'll raise my hand on that one. I was the best parent in the world.. until I had children of my own. I was also much younger back then.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I'll raise my hand on that one. I was the...

Exactly...we all think we know it all and know what WE would do as parents.... when we're NOT parents ourselves.
Once we become parents ourselves we GET IT :)

Gronk17 Gronk17

I have never said I would be a good parent. In fact I'd probably over-protective and over-monitoring...just like my parents were with us....

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “I have //never// said I would be a good...

Sukie, I wasn't referring to you. :) ... I was only giving an example(to make a point) explaining how my sister who has no children, is judgmental towards my other siblings and I raise on how we raise our children, and how messy she thinks our homes(with children) are compared to her immaculately clean home...which her "home" is a tiny one bedroom apartment with a small living space and tiny kitchenette...where they eat their meals in their living room because her "immaculate" apartment is the size of my front living room lol!!!

Gronk17 Gronk17

Nurse training would kick in obviously. There is no simple answer because it would depend on the symptoms.

Tiffanee

If anyone suddenly collapsed right in front of me, or collapsed in my view from afar... my knee jerk/gut reaction would be to HELP in any way I could.

Gronk17 Gronk17

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I'd like to think the first thing I would do...

Its not a good thing when Something is Wrong I Agree Completely

ErikEllenberger ErikEllenberger

I'd stop whatever I was doing, make a quick assessment of the situation, and hopefully make a sound decision on what course of action to take.. now I'm going to read the other responses. (smile)

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Call 911..

DandyDon DandyDon

Quickly try to assess their condition and call 911 .... then proceed with CPR if needed.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “Quickly try to assess their condition and...

See the thing is: I never know if CPR is needed. Are they in a diabetic coma? Having a seizure? Who knows.

Also I noticed no one said: check arm for Medic Alert band.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “See the thing is: I never know if CPR is...

Good point with the Medic Alert suggestion ;)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

I always ask the 911 operator for advice. But if there is no breath or pulse, I will take my chances and try.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Ask if they're okay if they are still conscious. Then I'd call 911.

cali93 cali93

Make sure they are breathing and call 911.

Synyster Synyster

Ask if that someone was okay and help her/him get up.

Edit: Oh, you mean collapse as in fainting? I just imagined someone falling in front of me, but being conscious. I guess, checking for breathing and calling 112 would be my choice.

Sofia Sofia

Call 911 try to help if no one is

PatSharkey PatSharkey

observe, render attenton and call 911

YoAdrienne YoAdrienne

In response to “observe, render attenton and call 911

Three sensible steps - nice going ;)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

Initially, discover any apparent reason(s) for the collapse while attempting to reach 911 and asking around for medical pros.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

clearly......I'm checking the pockets and rifling the wallet...

Freeranger Freeranger

I'd start with checking breathing, then heart, and move on to symtoms.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Render aid

Brianl Brianl

Lay the person in a supine position. Elevate their legs to restore blood flow to the brain. Loosen tight clothing. Check for red flags such as blue lips and/or face, arrhythmias, difficulty breathing, and complaints of chest pains — if present, call emergency services immediately.

Masha Masha

Ask him if he Collapsed

ErikEllenberger ErikEllenberger

Ask them if they were ok if they were conscious, call an ambulance if they weren't

DWF DWF

Honestly depends on the person. Are we talking an 80 year old lady with a walker or a twenty something year old guy with needle tracks up and down his arms? Yes my response would be different.

DW2 DW2

Ask are you ok are you ok? then call 9/11 asap because im not a ****

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

My medical assistant skills would kick in

nikkisuzanne nikkisuzanne

When this has happened I assessed the situation quickly , calmed down my drunk friends *I sober up fast in emergencies* and put them into the recovery position and then called 999 , all the while keeping a watchful Eye on the person passed out until paramedics arrived.

My Best friend passed out after consuming a bottle of Vodka in under 30 mins on my 23rd Birthday and actually stopped Breathing and I could see her Lips were turning Blue (cry) , She scared the **** Life out of me and our friends and all passengers in the station but at least I knew what to do.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “When this has happened I assessed the...

Good God. Did she suffer from alchohol poisoning?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Good God. Did she suffer from alchohol poisoning?

Yep!

I have seen People drunk but never in the state She was in
I spent my 23rd in Casualty Praying , while my Friend had her Stomach pumped.

One very memorable Birthday Sukie (cry)

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

Catch them before they hit the ground to prevent any injuries if I am close and can react fast enough, gently lay them on the ground. Then check for a pulse, and/or any signs that they are breathing. Ask them if they are conscious; if they do not respond within 5 - 10 seconds, then phone 911.

(I apologize if this is a dumb answer, but I tried to answer intelligently).

Crimson Crimson

In response to “Catch them before they hit the ground to...

It's a good answer. But if someone is 300 lbs. of weight you might not want to catch them.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “It's a good answer. But if someone is 300...

In that case, yeah.. I don't think I would catch them, don't wanna get crushed. However, I do plan on working out to get some more muscle, hopefully enough to lift more than 300 lbs. I don't know if that will be possible, though. I'm currently a weakling.

Crimson Crimson

I fear for the bystander effect but I would try my best to help them out

Gavin Gavin

Whisper "holy shit" to myself, check pulse and breathing, and then, if needed, tell a specific person to call 911 while I start CPR

Wunderscore

Have somebody else call 911, then start CPR.

DW2 DW2

Unfortunately (or fortunately, however way you look at it), I was required to get first aid training quite some time ago, due to being responsible for workplace confined spaces entry. It's a law where I live! So, by law I would have to at least try to get the person comfortable and make sure he/she wasn't hurt in any way (such as bumping their head and bleeding). If they were bleeding, I would have to at least put some kind of a compress on their wound.

ZeeGee

Ask them if they were ok

DWF DWF

I always have my phone. I dial 911.
If they are conscious, i ask if they know what is wrong. If they are breathing, i elevate their head. If not, cpr.

Carla Carla

Check air and heart and proceed from there with whatever symptoms are evident.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I would turn them on their side and check for signs like their breathing and pulse and call 999

JD JD

I would first look around to see if the reason they was collapsed was due to an outside source. If not, I would check their vitals. If they were conscious I would ask them what happend. If they were not, I'd have someone call 911.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

This was a good post. Perhaps adding a link to a site that gives people some basic do's and don't would be good.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Help in any way I can, then call 911

noregrets1