Post of the Day
Do you make sure you're not violating copyright when posting images?

Yes.

TheresmoreHoneyrose62

No.

StickCavemanPhilboydStudgeAmiriteDevDWFTiffaneeJanHaskellTanor_FauxSofiaTomboyJanetSukiesnowNightturned

Sometimes.

OnyxUniverse

Other

Nobody :(

TiffaneeSofiaSukiesnow

Explained by Theresmore...

Even images on images.google.com may be subject to copyright. I sometimes do ignore the warning.

Everything I post comes via Google Images. If people don't want their images being used, they shouldn't post them online.

Tiffanee

No, never thought of doing that. I just pick a graphic, and put it on my reply....

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “No, never thought of doing that. I just...

I've done that too. Wonder what happens if the person who owns the copyright finds out. Plus I'm poor. :(

Theresmore Theresmore OP

In response to “I've done that too. Wonder what happens if...

If they are on google, I'm sure they are free.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “If they are on google, I'm sure they are free.

Yes. Basically, I once found out that I can filter what images it searches for by the type of copyright which categorizes those licensed to share, and those licensed to share commercially separately. If I just search for those licensed to share, my search is drastically narrowed down to a dozen crappy images. Hence, this post.

Theresmore Theresmore OP

In response to “I use this link, no...

I use that link too. And this is where I was wandering for absolutely no reason :p

Theresmore Theresmore OP

Nope I think if it is online it is free for the taking. Plus I don't post many pictures. Too much trouble to do on this site. SH was easy, I do miss SH.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Nope I think if it is online it is free for...

I have never seen/used that website. :(

Theresmore Theresmore OP

I don't think there's a copyright violation unless someone is profiting from it. Since members aren't making money with the images we post, and since we are mostly all anonymous anyway, I can't see what the owner of a copyright could or would do.
Now, the website that allows it to be posted...that may be another kettle of fish. Social media sites are here to make money. I believe SH ran into that issue with youtube videos.
Again, wtf do I know?

RogueLoner RogueLoner

Tiffanee

I get mine from places that give me no warning that it's illegal or breaking rules..so perhaps the people we get them from, pay fees...

Platinum Platinum

In response to “I get mine from places that give me no...

Fair enough. What I get can't be called a warning. Or can it?

That's all I get:

Theresmore Theresmore OP

I feel like amirite would be liable beings that it automatically puts an amirite label on pictures that are uploaded.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “I feel like amirite would be liable beings...

Yeah I thought that was odd

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

I only use Google images or my own personal photos. I would never copy from anyone's personal pages.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Not really. I normally just use Google. I never thought of the copyright issue... well, now I'm thinking about it.

Sofia Sofia

No. How do you even do that?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “No. How do you even //do// that?

I don't think it's necessary :p but this is how:

Theresmore Theresmore OP

In response to “I don't think it's necessary :p but this is...

Thanks. I don't think it's necessary either... But coming from a background of publishing...I've become aware of this issue...and have wondered about it...:)

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Thanks. I don't think it's necessary...

Hmmm.. Could it ever be an issue if only around 15 people are seeing the image I've posted?

Theresmore Theresmore OP

In response to “Hmmm.. Could it ever be an issue if only...

It might become an issue if the person who created it had a copyright on it...and it got out into mainstream somehow.... I doubt it would lead to lawsuits unless it could be traced back to the first person who "stole" it.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “It might become an issue if the person who...

It could bother bloggers, probably because they're posting to propagate and they can make money out of it.
http://www.contentfac.com/copyr...ies-are-scary/

Theresmore Theresmore OP

In response to “It could bother bloggers, probably because...

IPad keep crapping out when I try to open your link. But I get your drift...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Too many whiney corporations crying over nothing

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “Too many whiney corporations crying over nothing

Creative ideas, images, designs are far more than nothing. You may treat them as they were nothing - but the originator does not.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Creative ideas, images, designs are far more...

Well it would mean something if I were ACTUALLY ripping off their plotlines or designs like a Chinese Knockoff store, but I mean come on posting pics or clips from them? It's free **** advertising stop whining! No respect given to these ingrates

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “Well it would mean something if I were...

As I said - "You may treat them as they were nothing..."

My saying so is not whining. Whining about why it's no big deal is whining. And, I maintain that artists, designers, authors, composers, song writers, etc. all have talents that the general public does not have and they deserve to be compensated for their work.

I don't know if you work or not, but let's suppose that you do. And now let's suppose that suddenly you don't get paid for the work you do. Are you OK with that? I mean the one you worked for will gladly tell everyone what a great job you did, so are you OK? Or, do you deserve to be paid?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “As I said - "You may treat them as they...

It's not really that cut and dry. Once again you miss the grey areas. Many musicians actually despise their record labels, and they are pro free music. Their reasoning is they can make money off of merch, concerts, and donations and stopping people from downloading music is like trying to stop rabbits from multiplying. It just can't be done. People can just download it anyway and they do. I mean in order to actually listen to all the music I listen to, I'd need to be a millionaire, No NORMAL person has that kind of money.

Movies is a different story, since they don't actually have concerts, tours and generally don't have merch constantly comming out. I'm not about pirating movies, but then again there is institutionalized pirating. PUBLIC LIBRARIES. My library has a selection of free to rent DVDs of most movies major and minor. And SURPRISE!! It also has cds. CDs I can get a free library card, take out for free, and copy to my computer LEGALLY and still not pay a cent. After all The CD was in my possesion and thus I can do whatever I want with it so long as I return it in good condition.

Basically There is no way to STOP piracy. It's as easy as borrowing your friend's cd. It's like guns. The only way to stop all gun violence is to go back in time and kill the guy who invented the gun, then kill the next guy who tries and the next and the next and the next. Same thing here. Gotta kill the guy who invented copying things to computer libraries. Then the next, then the next, then the next. Its futile.

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “It's not really that cut and dry. Once again...

My son is a musician. He tells me the same thing. In fact he wants people to download and share. Of course, at this point no one has ever paid a nickel for a CD - so maybe that explains the difference in his perspective.

Janet it sounds like you are justifying the theft of the music because it's easy and because many people do it. 'Back in the day', we bought albums and 45's. We we weren't wealthy, maybe a little more discriminating in what we listened to though. Of course it wasn't possible for us to make another album for our friends - but when cassette tape players came along, we could make copies on that. But, it took a long time, and they were never as good as the original. Now, you can make an EXACT duplicate in seconds. [Still no album cover art work though] and you don't even feel the least bit guilty about doing so. In fact, you've implied that I'm a jerk for challenging you on it.

I agree that there's no way - right now to stop piracy. I bet there will be some day in the not so distant future. Perhaps when you're my age and you're offering some wisdom to some kid on the Internet.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “My son is a musician. He tells me the same...

I don't think they will be able to stop it. Considering now people have things like IHeartRadio, and Spotify etc, It's most likely we've seen the end to the traditional era of albums. It's a bit of a shame, I mean when I REALLY like a band I do want to get the cd, but paying 29.99 for one song and a bunch of songs that are mediocre at best is asking a lot of me. Since I don't own a credit card I can't buy them song by song online either. I make very little money per week, maybe 200 dollars? on my backup library of music alone from my previous computer I have over 4,500 songs. Even at 99 cents for song its out of my price range, and I get sick of the same playlist REALLY FAST to the point of getting headaches. The future isn't in the pockets of big record exects who don't care about the artists, but the hands of the artists themselves. All the best musicians are the ones who put pride in their music because they are out to make songs, not dough. Once money gets involved, well we get Justin Bieber, Kanye West, Nikki Manaj, etc all these mediocre artists who are overpromoted yet have the MOST Disliked videos on youtube. I'd call that flooding the airwaves with crap and clutter, while real musicians get pushed away.

But I guess that may be hard to understand coming from the old world analog world. I could see that. I mean who knew we'd wind up living in an age where people can make an independent video game and sell it worldwide in a matter of weeks. Perhaps this is why so many people are self absorbed today because we can make our own youtube version of a TV series using a cell phone and some cheap costumes and before you know it everyone's watching it (for free). Then you can go to CafePress, or whatever and make your own shirts, buttons, mugs, etc and people actually make a living off of that, and not in poor areas either. LA is a big one, and Orange County. I follow a particular Disneyland Vlogger who lives right near the park and only makes money through selling shirts relating to his vlog.

I mean my world wasn't all internet and youtube I grew up with VHS Cassettes and setting up to record tv shows was our "piracy". I'd have loads of fun though helping my dad tape a show I was excited for flicking the little wheel on the remote to change the date on that big blinking blue screen. I miss my old world too, but after years of hating everyone and everything modern I decided hey, I finally have a portable tv that i dreamed about since I was 8 and If I want to listen to Bratmobile the band put all their songs on youtube for us.

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “I don't think they will be able to stop it...

I don't know if there's a way to stop the piracy either. I'm just recognizing it for what it is - theft. I don't think piracy will enhance artistry. If artists aren't reimbursed for their work, I think they will be less likely to work. We'll be flooded with mediocre free talent.

You think artists don't care about money? When's the last time your favorite artist promoted their "Come see my "Free To Attend Tour"? - You know, cuz it's really about the music.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I don't know if there's a way to stop the...

They need money to travel, and to get equipment. I've been to concerts that donate proceeds to create safe spaces for rape victims. Roller Derby is similar. None of the players actually profit from doing it, we just get enough money to book venues and buy gear and MAYBE travel. Almost every Derby girl I know has a "day job" or is a housewife.

I know its hard for a conservative to see anything other than money as a goal of life but some people just enjoy doing things and being with friends.

Oh and yes I just remembered I've been to a couple of free concerts, and there is a stage at the boardwalk where they perform.

It's also hard to Imagine that the bands I like are not massive arena rockstars and I usually see them in small clubs for less than 15 bucks. They don't go on tours sponsored by investment banks or shit like that.

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “They need money to travel, and to get...

Janet, I don't doubt that there are concerts to benefit various causes. If / when 'A-list' entertainment is involved, it's only occasional.

Roller derby didn't make the same transition that 'wrestling' did decades ago. It simply doesn't have enough public support to have professional teams like baseball and football do for example.

By the way, I've been conservative my whole life and used to enjoy watching roller derby on TV.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Janet, I don't doubt that there are concerts...

A-list is objective. What most people consider A-List I do not. I don't do the whole yo yo gangsta and money bizzz stuff they play on the radio these days.

One thing big bands (not the brass kind) do to alleviate this balance I'd think conservatives would agree with is when they donate a portion of proceeds to charities. That we can get behind. The one thing I think you guys do right is you do promote private charities.

Roller Derby isn't really just for liberals. In fact Derby girls come from all backgrounds from housewife to punk rock feminist to **** to cheerleader to businesswomen. When you get there no matter who you are, you feel welcome

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “A-list is objective. What most people...

I don't think I said or implied that roller derby is for any particular political persuasion. I always enjoyed when watching on TV and the time I saw in person.

I'm thinking 'the whole yo yo gangsta and money bizzz stuff ' is subjective as well (I think you meant subjective instead of objective). I don't think I could identify either one of those.

I noticed that you pointed out that you don't think the same way as most people - at least on this topic. I guess disagreement would be expected then, right?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I don't think I said or implied that roller...

Of course but I just have to be stronger in my beliefs

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet