<b>People who are black and white tend to miss the nuances in between.</b> It's the nuances that can add interest and zest to life.

SukiesnowDWFDandyDonTiffaneeStickCavemanFyrefoxTanor_FauxOzSurferNotWithTheCoolKidsTomboyJanetZaraZooperTrishhukiolukioChuckTomBub

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

TiffaneeChuckTomDandyDonOzSurferSukiesnowMaze
People who are black and white tend to miss the nuances in between. It's the nuances that can add interest and zest to life.

Explained by Sukiesnow...

A friend has become vegan so I was remembering wistfully the days we'd slink into a basement bar at midnight for a dozen oysters...and the balmy evenings we'd spend at rooftop restaurants sipping margaritas and munching hor d'oeuvres...sigh...you can't do stuff like that with a vegan and, although, she might have a healthier lifestyle...what about the trade-offs?...won't she miss the accompanying nuances and interesting activities that broadened our horizons and added colour to our lives? Leading a black and white life sounds so dull...sometimes one needs to trip on the edge a little bit....

Don't know if I'd consider veganism to necessarily be a healthier lifestyle.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

Life's too short,to always eat like a rabbit..

http://threeriversdeep.files.wo...xjnb.gif?w=558

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “Life's too short,to always eat like a...

On the other hand...they are so cute!

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “On the other hand...they are so cute!

There you go,keep repeating that while you chew a head of lettuce...

DandyDon DandyDon

People who live in the black and white have no gray areas in their life...they miss the part of life that might be a maybe...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “Don't know if I'd consider veganism to...

It can be if you do it right, which most don't do....

And do you have about an extra 4 hours in your day to spare? That's cause you'd need it for first becoming a vegan and then afterward for awhile in maintaining it.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “It can be if you do it right, which most...

Is that 4 hours spent forging for nuts and berries?

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “Is that 4 hours spent forging for nuts and...

4 hours spent getting familiar with veganism and realizing you have to change your whole life now...

Also to learn what you can eat and cannot eat. Also to learn what you can wear and cannot wear.

And to figure out what to cook, especially focusing on proteins, to cook it and take the right supplements you might need....

Once you've done with one meal you need to clean up and start all over with the next one.

I haven't even touched on shopping for groceries and the many places you might need to go to get them....

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

I agree. Life isn't totally black and white. Hopefully we all bend a little...

Freeranger Freeranger

I don't know what it's like to see most everything as "black or white", but I've often wondered. Must be a whole lot simpler, than looking at all the various sides of things.

I fail to see what that has to do with someone choosing to abstain from consuming animal products, or eating oysters in a basement bar.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I don't know what it's like to see most...

I was Illustrating how b/w someone's lifestyle might become when they turn to veganism. ;) No more going to Oyster bars or attending happy hours at Rooftop patios.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “I was Illustrating how b/w someone's...

People making the intensively personal decision to try and do the least harm to other life by their dietary or other choices, has absolutely nothing to do missing with the "nuances" of life.
Actually, veganism in itself has nothing to do with that, no matter what reason people might choose it. If not wanting to go to an oyster bar means seeing everything in black and white to you, I just don't get it. Personally, I quite enjoy sipping on a good margarita and munching on hors d'oeuvres with a friend. What the heck does that have to with choosing to be a vegan, Sukie, OR missing out on the "nuances" of life?

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “People making the intensively personal...

Going to an Oyster bar is an example of a nuance. Becoming vegan is an example of b/w living. Once you become a vegan you can't go to oyster bars.

They are my examples.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Going to an Oyster bar //is// an example of a...

No Sukie, it isn't.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “No Sukie, it isn't.

They are my examples. Obviously not yours. That's okay.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “They are my examples. Obviously not yours...

Nuance:

1) a subtle distinction or variation

2) a subtle quality

3) sensibility to, awareness of, or ability to express delicate shadings (as of meaning, feeling, or value)

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Nuance: 1) a subtle distinction or...

Figured you'd do something as stereotypical as pulling up a dictionary definition.

Still my example.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Figured you'd do something as stereotypical...

Hmm....I figure I've posted a dictionary definition maybe two or three times, in the 6 years I've participated on any site like this one.

Since you don't seem to grasp the definition of the word, I thought seeing it might be helpful. (biggrin)

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Hmm....I figure I've posted a dictionary...

Thanks for your help.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

Piper2 Piper2

Black and white thinking is usually used for people who need to put things in boxes or they get overwhelmed. Things are eather good or bad and one good deed makes you a hero and one bad deed condemns you forever.

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

I don't think being a vegan means you have a healthier lifestyle, it possibly means you miss out on a lot of good things...and being a vegan, does not mean you can't enjoy yourself and get out to the fun places ou used to visit...

JD JD

In response to “I don't think being a vegan means you have a...

Not true. It means you can't go to places you used to go to... Vegans can't go to places where meat was once killed and/or cooked. That's pretty much any place... It's vegetarians that have more flexibility.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

To each their own way of living/eating. I wouldn't be a vegan for any time at all.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred