Add Amirite to your Browser
Do the starving orphans ads from Bolivia or Botswana...score points with you for emotional manipulation?

Sukiesnow

Nobody :)

TiffaneeChuckTomOzSurferSofiaSukiesnow

Explained by Sukiesnow...

They are a bit much.... I hit mute and close my eyes... It's a vulnerable area for me...how about you? Can you pass these ads by without flinching? Those frail, sad, wee bones...and bony faces with melting chocolate brown eyes....

I only have a certain amount of money I donate to charities each year, so advertising doesn't really sway me. I try and pick ones where the majority of my donation goes to those who need it rather than administration, but that's getting harder so it seems.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I've never watched any of those ads, so no idea.

Sofia Sofia

OzSurfer OzSurfer

We give millions to these countries and they put the same begging ads everytime and they have the same flies in every ad and if the money that has been given was put to good use then they would not need more money....

Platinum Platinum

In response to “We give millions to these countries and they...

Lol the same flies...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Lol the same flies...

You watch next time,the one with brown eyes ...

Platinum Platinum

No. There are too many scams out there, taking money from people and not giving it to those who are really in need.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

No. The only emotion I get is "Where's the damn remote!?". x3

Tanor_Faux Tanor_Faux

Nah. δΉ‚ºβ€Ώ^δΉ‚

Ada Ada

Nope because I rarely watch TV. I give at least 1/3 of my wages to charities anyway so I sleep easy at night over that stuff. I do as much as I can do.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

May other posters are correct - the particular charity MATTERS. Food for the Poor is especially good. $0.964 cents of every dollar donated goes to the program delivering food to the poor. That is hard to beat!
http://www.foodforthepoor.org/

Budwick Budwick

Ok.. 1. Make soil viable. 2. Grow food. This seriously isn't rocket science.

DW2 DW2

In response to “Ok.. 1. Make soil viable. 2. Grow food. This...

It's possible that there might not be any viable soil...and not for centuries...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

I'm much more disturbed and unsettled by the commercials about abused animals. I change the channel when they come on. The ads about the starving orphans don't bother me so much.

Tell me, Doctor, what does this mean?

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz

In response to “I'm much more disturbed and unsettled by the...

means you have a low standard where animals have more value then that of humans, its quite disturbing

sh9683 sh9683

In response to “means you have a low standard where animals...

Sorry, your original comment was emailed to me and there's no editing or deleting that.

I have my own opinion about it. That does not mean I have a "twisted mind" as you so eloquently phrased it.

Children have been used as pawns for decades in the media to garner sympathy from and play on the heartstrings of the American viewing public. It is often done in an effort to sway public opinion in one direction or the other regarding a human interest topic but usually it is done to guilt people into sending money to organizations under the auspices of a worthy cause. Donors rarely know how or if their money actually reaches its destination.

I'm an animal lover and I find it unsettling to see abused and neglected animals on television. I make no apologies for that.

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz

In response to “Sorry, your original comment was emailed to...

and you think these "oh look at thi spoor animal" propaganda from companies like peta are any better? peta kills more animals then it cares for.

its not bad to care for animals but it is pretty sick to say that animals have more rights then HUMANS.

sh9683 sh9683

In response to “and you think these "oh look at thi spoor...

Is there a solid reason why I need to justify my point of view to you?

Where did I state anywhere that animals have more rights than humans? Those are your words not mine.

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz

In response to “Is there a solid reason why I need to justify...

You certainly implied it when you said that animals are in such rough shape propaganda bothers you more then the ones where
Kids are starving.

sh9683 sh9683

In response to “You certainly implied it when you said that...

What are you doing to help the starving children of the world?
I feed the hungry and homeless for a living. I'm in the trenches every day with drugs addicts, broken families, and children who most likely don't have an ice cube's chance in Hell at a decent life. However, we're not talking about that.
What we ARE talking about is the ad campaigns on television. I ask again, is there a sound reason why I need to justify which ads disturb me and which don't?

As defenseless and vulnerable as children may be, it is my opinion that domesticated animals or "pets" are just as if not more defenseless and vulnerable left at the hands of careless, unfeeling human beings.

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz

Oh gosh...those are horrible...they don't seem to come on as much as the starving kids.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

I think I really prefer lost dogs.

SmartAZ SmartAZ