fuzalaTiffaneeSid__BozetteOzSurferVicZincSofiaBudwickWill_JanitorForkNdaRoadJPMatthewsStickCavemanDWFMashaTrish

Nobody :)

Piper2TiffaneeSofiaWill_JanitorSid__MidnightCowboy
No group has individuals that are in complete agreement with everything. Each person has their own values and thoughts despite belonging to groups. That is why it's fruitless to think you understand a group based on a percentage of individuals you simply know of. Amirite?

That is true.

I have also found that some people have a tendency to assign others to groups they really do not belong in, which just compounds the mistake of assumption.

Bozette Bozette

That is true.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “That is true. I have also found that some...

That's because to save time, we take a lot of mental shortcuts

breeding a lot of misjudgements and injustice

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “That's because to save time, we take a lot of...

Never having fit the stereotype of the groups others took it upon themselves to assign me to, I began making a conscious effort to refrain from doing so to others. It is difficult at first, because it is ingrained in us to stereotype, but it is possible to break the habit.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Never having fit the stereotype of the groups...

Yes, knowledge is power. In this case, awareness is knowledge. Being aware of the mental shortcuts we take helps us take measures to avoid doing these things

They always say the first step is acknowledgment

fuzala fuzala OP

If someone is a self professed Nazi, and goes around wearing Nazi symbols and defending Nazism, I'm not going to think they're anything other than a Nazi, no matter what they say about themselves.

Maze Maze

In response to “If someone is a self professed Nazi, and goes...

Oh yeah
but nazis claim chrisitianity as their religion so...

Just how you can't group nazis with Christians you can't group ISIS with Muslims

Simple to understand

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “Oh yeah but nazis claim chrisitianity as...

Nazi's claim Christianity as their religion? That seems contrary to history.

In 1933, prior to the annexation of Austria into Germany, the population of Germany was approximately 67% Protestant and 33% Catholic; Jews made up less than 1% of the population.[1] A census in May 1939, six years into the Nazi era[2] and incorporating the annexation of mostly Catholic Austria into Germany, indicates that 54% considered themselves Protestant, 40% Catholic, and 1.5% as non-religious.

There was some diversity of personal views among the Nazi leadership as to the future of religion in Germany. Anti-Church radicals included Hitler's Personal Secretary Martin Bormann, Minister for Propaganda Joseph Goebbels, Neo-Pagan Nazi Philosopher Alfred Rosenberg, and Neo-Pagan Occultist Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler. Some Nazis, such as Hans Kerrl, who served as Hitler's Minister for Church Affairs, believed Christianity could be Nazified into "Positive Christianity", by renouncing its Jewish origins, the Old Testament and Apostle's Creed, and holding Hitler as a new "Messiah".

Nazism wanted to transform the subjective consciousness of the German people—their attitudes, values and mentalities—into a single-minded, obedient "national community". The Nazis believed they would therefore have to replace class, religious and regional allegiances. Under the Gleichschaltung process, Hitler attempted to create a unified Protestant Reich Church from Germany's 28 existing Protestant churches. The plan failed, and was resisted by the Confessing Church. Persecution of the Catholic Church in Germany followed the Nazi takeover. Hitler moved quickly to eliminate Political Catholicism. Amid harassment of the Church, the Reich concordat treaty with the Vatican was signed in 1933, and promised to respect Church autonomy. Hitler routinely disregarded the Concordat, closing all Catholic institutions whose functions were not strictly religious. Clergy, nuns, and lay leaders were targeted, with thousands of arrests over the ensuing years. The Church accused the regime of "fundamental hostility to Christ and his Church". Smaller religious minorities such as the Jehovah's Witnesses and Bahá'í Faith were banned in Germany, while the eradication of Judaism by the genocide of its adherents was attempted. The Salvation Army, Christian Saints and Seventh Day Adventist Church all disappeared from Germany, while astrologers, healers and fortune tellers were banned. The small pagan "German Faith Movement", which worshipped the sun and seasons, supported the Nazis. Many historians believed that Hitler and the Nazis intended to eradicate Christianity in Germany after winning victory in the war.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Nazi's claim Christianity as their religion?...

I can say the same about ISIS

ISIS is killing Muslims to eradicate Islam and to incite hate and violence against Muslims worldwide to further eradicate Islam

Most of ISIS members have been violently targeting Muslims more than any other group

So although nazis and other radicals claim a religion does not mean the claim
is true

It's all a part of their wicked plans

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “I can say the same about ISIS ISIS is...

You COULD say that, but that's not what you said.

Look, you and I have gone around on this topic before.
I don't think that every Muslim is automatically a terrorist. However, there's a high percentage of ISIS terrorists that are Muslim - like 100%.

I don't know how one can discern the difference one from the other - Terrorist Muslim vs Non-Terrorist Muslim. If you have some magic formula - please share it with appropriate authorities - it could save thousands of lives.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “You COULD say that, but that's not what you...

I am saying it
not just could
sheesh it's just a saying like "I could say the same about you" thing

it's like you didn't read a thing I said. How do you know they're Musliim. You think members of ISIS are honest? yeah right

and I don't know if one can discern the difference between a Christian vs a Christian Neo Nazi or "skinhead" or even the infamous KKK who uses the Bible to say black skin must be terminated. I can't tell when one of you will shoot up yet another school. It's no way to tell for sure

so please do share with the authorities your secret formula

I have not met any terrorists or nazis. I live in a nice community in Michigan with plenty of Muslims and Christians. I also lived in a nice community in Asia without encountering terrorists or Nazis. I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “I am saying it not just //could// sheesh it's...

I live in a neighborhood concerned about terrorism around the world.

Have there been a lot of KKK and skinhead attacks on schools in your area? Cuz, I haven't heard of any - anywhere.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I live in a neighborhood concerned about...

You should move to a safer place then. A neighborhood like mine

Have you met a terrorist? I doubt you have.

If you have met one, I think you're just making stuff up because you're probably a part of ISIS. You want to help them eradicate Islam. I'm onto your plans. You can't fool me

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “You should move to a safer place then. A...

I have no idea if I've met any terrorists or not. That's kind of the point Fuzula. Your bitter attitude aside, YOU couldn't tell if you met a terrorist either!

You obviously lean way left, plus you can't possibly see this issue objectively. Take a breath and calm down. You're on the edge of making some unwarranted personal attacks.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I have no idea if I've met any terrorists or...

I have no idea if I met any KKK members or neo nazis. That's kind of the point, Budwick. I'm unable to discern the difference between them and the innocent. What if another one shoots up a school? How will I know? With your bitter attitude aside, you probably couldn't tell the difference either.

So take the matter objectively and take some deep breaths. Okay?

Also alert the authorities because I don't want to see another mass school shooting on the news

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “I have no idea if I met any KKK members or...

You wouldn't happen to know what happened to the rest of conversation - would you? You know the part where you apologized for your personal attacks?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “You wouldn't happen to know what happened to...

I apologized on my other post

The language one

fuzala fuzala OP

Didn't that bloke Nietzsche have a fair bit of influence there?

AliceD AliceD

Simple to understand, but wrong. Here's the truth.

[Wikipedia] The Roman Catholic Church suffered persecution in Nazi Germany. As a totalitarian ideology, the Nazis claimed jurisdiction over all collective and social activity, interfering with Catholic schooling, youth groups, workers' clubs and cultural societies.[1] Nazi ideology could not accept an autonomous establishment, whose legitimacy did not spring from the government. It desired the subordination of the church to the state.[2] The Nazi leadership hoped to dechristianise Germany in the long term. [3] Aggressive anti-Church radicals like Propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels, Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler and Hitler's "deputy" Martin Bormann saw the kirchenkampf campaign against the Churches as a priority concern, and anti-church and anticlerical sentiments were strong among grassroots party activists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N...rch_in_Germany

Maze Maze

But would you then say
all Germans are Nizis?
or all blond haired blue eyed people are Nazis?
or even: all Nazis opened the gas valves at Auschwitz?

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “But would you then say all Germans are...

It's not about race or nationality, it's about ideology. I'm sure there were Nazis who were fairly reasonable people, but I've seen what that ideology did to Germany, and I wouldn't want people with that ideology pouring en masse into my country under any circumstances. To do it under the guise of liberalism and tolerance is a sick joke.

What's more, politics is more transient than religion. Religion basically doesn't change, you either follow it or you don't, so you'd probably be better off with Nazis than Muslims. Nazis might change, if Muslims try to change, other Muslims kill them.

Maze Maze

Agree 100%. Generalizing an entire group by the acts and words of some is a mistake waiting to happen.

Sofia Sofia

Makes sense to me!

Budwick Budwick

It makes me sick that people actually think all Muslims are potential ISIS members when there is only a estimated 31,500 ISIS members and over 1.6 billion Muslims.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “It makes me sick that people actually think...

There are actually over 1.6 billion

23 percent of the worlds population

So it's really foolish to think about 1 out of 4 people are a threat

Makes me sick too

And when I mention neo nazis and other radicals, they'll say "but those aren't Christians

So I'll say "ISIS isn't Muslim either because they kill Muslims more than other group"

But they're like "no"

Talking to a wall I tell ya

Thankfully, not everyone is like that

Glad you get it (hug)

fuzala fuzala OP

In response to “There are actually over 1.6 billion 23...

Sorry for the typo, I fixed it.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “http://rlv.zcache.ca/all_generalizations_are_fa...

Kinda like a paradox

Never say never

There's an exception to every rule. Even this one.

fuzala fuzala OP

What's odd is that anyone who has ever attempted to work with even a small group to achieve a goal or complete a project should already have witnessed this dilemma in action.

Grade-school is probably the first time I ever noticed this. It's odd that people would depart from such an obvious "given" in adulthood when we're supposedly maturing.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

Bingo.

Masha Masha

In response to “Bingo.

My numbers never come up, sometimes I think the game is rigged!

AliceD AliceD

Unless of course that group is taught and practices violence, sexual discrimination, religious discrimination, the stoning and beheading of people, simply out of Doctrine and praise for a "prophet" based on an old book.. at that point it's kind of a matter of specificity as to which parts you agree with. I personally avoid groups. :)

DW2 DW2

In that case you either do something about it or you leave the group, if it's a group of people that you choose to be (and aren't born to) you represent everything about that group.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Oh dang
I didn't even know I got POTD

fuzala fuzala OP

Precisely why we shouldn't let anyone into the country we don't don't 'know'.

Budwick Budwick