Fake News

DWFZolfieMonaLeaGorankoilic

Censorship

VicZinc__Anonymous__AnonymousmouseOzSurferMazeAdamNY

Other

PhilboydStudgeWill_JanitorMashaJPMatthewsSmartAZYusiMurti

PhilboydStudgeBudwickOzSurferAdaWill_JanitorMashaChief_Windspirits
Which is more dangerous, fake news or censorship?

Explained by Maze...

Recently, there has been an effort underway to censor "fake news" on Facebook, Google and Twitter. Which do you think is more dangerous, fake news, or having a small group of people hold themselves up as the arbiters of truth and censor news sources they deem to be "fake"?

That's like choosing between propaganda and silence. It's a toss up to me.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

While I'd prefer the truth, if I had to choose I'd prefer fake news over censorship as people can learn to sift through the fake news to find the truth, but censorship denies them that right and places the filtering in someone elses hands who may well get it wrong or have some hidden agenda which causes a bias.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I feel like this a good tricky question...

I picked fake news, because the problem with censorship is that it leads to fake news (which is the problem with censorship, not getting the whole story and therefore being fake or manipulated) and therefore fake news covers the censorship problem and other fake news problems.

Other fake news problems is that some people believe stories they hear... no matter how crazy...
-----
I met a guy, who was seriously preaching that the US government attacked the twin towers because that's where they kept all their aliens evidence... and the public found out and were coming for it... so they moved what they could and destroyed the rest... it was one big cover up, to keep proof that aliens were among us a secret from the masses.

Also the attacked closed the streets and allowed the government to do some massive moving of objects in other building, so they could move other evidence out of the city in a truck in plain daylight.
----

But even all the big "news" media sites seem to have opinion shows (which they spin/half pretend as news shows)... where someone gives their opinion... and a surprisingly high number seem to take those opinions as facts... because they're pretending to be news shows and news shows are suppose to have facts.

I used to believe the normal person could easily filter what's real news and what's opinion or not fact.... but after seeing wide range and view of the world, I'm not sure the average person can... as the average person just believes what they come into contact with, ESPECIALLY if what they come into contact with already agrees with their pre-thought or opinion... which is why people are believing the opinion shows. They already have a general thoughts or feeling and the opinion stated on the news opinion show ... goes further down that road, so it must be fact since it agreed with me and it was on a news show.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “All good points.

Thank you

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I feel like this a good tricky question...

Zolfie - You are wise beyond your years -

AND, a dog to boot! Wait, .. your not really a dog, right?
No, I knew that.

[But seriously - good stuff.]

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Zolfie - You are wise beyond your years -...

I am wise beyond my human years, but I'm not sure about my wolf years (xp)

Nope, I'm not a dog, I'm a werewolf (omg) (hehe)

Thank you very much.

Zolfie Zolfie

Interesting question. Fake news and censorship are both very dangerous.

The obvious problem with fake news is that many people believe it. Hateful rhetoric can incite normal, everyday people into doing horrible things. Everyday we are being bombarded by individuals and organizations that are very good at manipulating public opinion.

If you ever want to frighten yourself, read some of Joseph Goebbels' quotes. They seems just as relevant now as they were back in the 1930s.
http://www.azquotes.com/author/...oseph_Goebbels

With censorship, there are facts the citizenry may be completely unaware of.

Both result in a misinformed public, and the cost of that could be severe.
http://centeroncongress.org/why...rmed-citizenry

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “**Interesting question.** Fake news //and//...

Goebbels seems to contradict himself.

On the first page, he is quoted as saying,"If you tell the same lie enough times, people will believe it; and the bigger the lie, the better."

But on the second page, "Good propaganda does not need to lie, indeed it may not lie. It has no reason to fear the truth. It is a mistake to believe that people cannot take the truth. They can. It is only a matter of presenting the truth to people in a way that they will be able to understand. A propaganda that lies proves that it has a bad cause. It cannot be successful in the long run."

Of course, he thought he was lying in the second quote, which was given at the 1934 Nazi Party rally, but in the longer run, he inadvertently spoke the truth. A Nazi Kinsley gaffe?

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

Fake news can be a mistake.

AdamNY AdamNY

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “That's like choosing between propaganda and...

When it comes to news, if it's not silence, it's propaganda. The MSM slings as many distortions, half truths and outright lies as alternative media. In fact, from what I've seen, they're worse.

As Mark Twain said, "Those who don't read the news are uninformed, those who do are misinformed."

I think the closest you're likely to come to truth is to have the widest possible range of sources, so you can see where there is agreement and where there is disagreement and evaluate the voracity of their perspectives for yourself.

Maze Maze OP

I don't know.

What pisses you off more?
The fact that government lied to us about why the attack on Benghazi happened?
Or, that the government kept secret that the secretary of state did absolutely nothing to help the people in the embassy?

Budwick Budwick

I think they are equally dangerous.

JPMatthews JPMatthews

People give lip service to freedom until somebody does something actually free. Then they start saying "Uh oh, we gotta put a stop to that!"

SmartAZ SmartAZ

Okay, lets talk about freedom of speech/expression. Do i have the right to burn the flag? Fake news in abhorent, made to incite people to anger. But censorship too is unacceprable. Too many dangeroys agendas. Your president elect edged closely to sensoring the press. Anybody remember that? The net has made fake everything far too easy. Now we have to trust that people are smart enough to find truth

Carla Carla

Both are equally dangerous.

Masha Masha

The primary source of fake news is the mainstream media, who have been complicit in lying the public into wars for generations. I mean, for crying out loud, how much more dangerous does fake news get than that? So fake news is very dangerous, and it's equally dangerous to assume that big, established news services are necessarily more honest in their reportage than small outfits. Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware. Listen to all sides and decide for yourself what's real. As dangerous as fake news plainly is, allowing the established progenitors of fake news to be the arbiters of what's real and fake is exponentially more dangerous. Freedom demands a free marketplace of ideas.

Maze Maze OP

Fake news can always be corrected. Censorship is much more dangerous.

AdamNY AdamNY

and MSM fake news who thinks they have the right to call alternate media as "fake"

Anonymousmouse Anonymousmouse

Fake news do not tell truth.

Gorankoilic