Want to be a moderator?
Do you know the real meaning of the Swastika before Hitler tainted it?

Yes

TrishTiffaneeBozetteSofiaAdaTomboyJanetJustJimColoMashaThinkerbellJPMatthewstomjackson

No

PartyOfOneSukiesnowBluejay

Other

Brianl

Piper2Darkest_SerenityTiffaneeBozetteAdaMashaSukiesnowThinkerbellCarla

Explained by Sofia...

The link gives the history of it, if you're interested to know about it.

I know it was from elsewhere, but dont remember where

If you dont remind me, i will have to google it.

Then i read all about another culture.

Its late here, so please tell me.

Then i can read a whole article at another time......

Carla Carla

Then i read all about another culture.

Its late here, so please tell me.

Carla Carla

In response to “I know it was from elsewhere, but dont...

I can't really explain better than it's saying on the link.

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism. It is a common sight on temples or houses in India or Indonesia. Swastikas also have an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from pre-Christian European cultures.

An extra (it's not on the link) - if you don't know what Sanskrit is - Sanskrit is the primary sacred language of Hinduism and Mahāyāna Buddhism, a philosophical language in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism. It was also a literary language that was in use as a lingua franca in ancient and medieval South Asia.

Sofia Sofia OP

In response to “I can't really explain better than it's...

Thank you.
What an evil thing to do to a possitive cultural symbol.

Carla Carla

In response to “Thank you. What an evil thing to do to a...

Yeah. This shows how bad a symbol can get on the wrong hands. Hitler completely butchered it.

Sofia Sofia OP

In response to “Yeah. This shows how bad a symbol can get on...

There is not one good thing that man ever did.
Not that ive read about

He was the embodiment of evil

Carla Carla

In response to “There is not one good thing that man ever...

Um... I read that Hitler loved his mother and was devastated when she died of breast cancer when he was about 18, if I remember correctly.

And he applied for admission to the the Vienna Fine Arts Academy as a student, but was rejected. Imagine how the history of the world might have been totally different...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cult...auctioned.html

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

Oh, and Hitler was also awarded the Iron Cross first class for bravery in WW1 (unusual for an enlisted man).

It is more than a little ironic that his commanding officer, Lt. Gutmann, who recommended the decoration, was Jewish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Gutmann

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

Actually, the swastika had already been adopted by anti-Semitic and racist groups in Europe well before Hitler's time, for example by the Thule society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Society

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Actually, the swastika had already been...

Oohhh, I didn't know about that. Thank you.

Sofia Sofia OP

I believe it was a luck symbol in eastern cultures particularly Asian spiritual cultures I've seen some of them lining buildings in theme parks and temples

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

乂º◡º乂

Ada Ada

Yeppers. That is not the only thing that Hitler adopted and perverted the meaning of, either. Today when one hears the term "Aryan", what comes to mind is Hitler's goal of a master race of predominately white, blond-hair, blue-eyed people whose blood is not mixed with what he considered inferior races.

Ironically, the term originally referred to Indo-Iranian tribes...which is the polar opposite in every way to what people today associate it with.

The term “Aryan” has had a history filled with controversy. The source of the English word Aryan comes from the Sanskrit word ārya, which is the self-designation used by the Vedic Indic people who migrated into the Indian subcontinent about 1500 BCE. The Sanskrit term has a cognate in the Iranian word arya, which is also a self-designation. Both the Sanskrit and the Iranian terms descend from a form ārya that was used by the Indo-Iranian tribes to refer to themselves, a tem which is also connected to the source of the country-name Iran, from a phrase meaning “Kingdom of the Aryans”.

http://www.ancient.eu/Aryan/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_race

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Yeppers. That is not the only thing that...

I didn't know about that. Thank you.

Sofia Sofia OP

In response to “I didn't know about that. Thank you.

Most welcome. :)

Bozette Bozette

Absolute opposite.

Shows what a small minded master manipulator can do....

Carla Carla

I've never considered it had a meaning.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

The symbol is of Hindu and Buddhist origin, I've seen many shows that wanted to use it but couldn't because it could be related to Nazi Germany

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Actually no...

But I know that witchcraft uses the 5 pointed star and they are very positive...

I've always wondered about that...good question, Sof.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Swastika — the Sun Sign

Whilst its name is Sanskrit in origin, the swastika was and is used virtually worldwide for millennia. Many kinds of this symbol exist. An ancestral calendar, the swastika is associated with the Sun and seasons. Each kind has its own spiritual meaning as well.

Here is a list of 89 swastikas used in Russia. Their names are small and in Russian, but feel free to tell me if you want to learn more about their names and meanings.

Shown below is a rushnik (embroidered towel) with a kolovrat (Russian коловрат, tenth column and third row on the above list) inside. The text reads "If you're Russian, click "Like," seeing that Russia used it hundreds of years before the Nazis tainted it.

Masha Masha

In response to “**Swastika — the Sun Sign** Whilst its...

Thank you for this :)

Sofia Sofia OP

Because I do.

tomjackson

Well I don't know the original meaning or use. But I do know that that symbol is present in the petroglyphs of the Native people of the Southwest United States.

Brianl Brianl