Want to be a moderator?
  • Topics:HobbiesLeisure Time
  • Featured on the home page on Apr 11th 2017
  • Post Of The Day on Mar 20th 2017

Carla

Nobody :)

DW2Lil_PrincessTiffaneeChuckTomBozetteAdaSukiesnow
It once was cocaine, then crack. Meth had a big show. Now its heroin. Alcohol has always been in the picture. Has there ever been a time when a drug hasn't played a major role in this country?

Cannabis doent count
It's an herb:)

Carla Carla OP

Cannabis doent count
It's an herb:)

Carla Carla OP

In response to “Cannabis doent count It's an herb:)

I have never thought of Cannabis as a drug.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

Nope. Drugs are not going anywhere because people will always been looking for someway of escaping reality. I think alcohol is still the biggest problem. It is too easy to buy and far too cheap.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Nope. Drugs are not going anywhere because...

Or the internet. It escapes reality and is quite addictive (hehe)

RideCaptainRide RideCaptainRide

At some point in time they have all had their 15 minutes of fame. Sadly it is the family of people that choose to do these that suffer.

Almost 17 years ago my brother went to jail for cocaine. By the grace of God he got six months when facing 75 years to life for dealing to an undercover cop within a 1000 feet of a school.He learned is dying from alcoholism his liver is shot. My brother came back to Indiana late last year and today he is a facing a felony charge of Meth and a felony possession of a sawed-off shotgun.

Really hope his 15 minutes of fame was worth it.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

You forgot coffee...:)

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “You forgot coffee...:)

You might also want to lump in nicotine, too.

ChuckTom ChuckTom

In response to “You might also want to lump in nicotine, too.

You got that right. I finally gave up smoking after decades of inhaling that drug!(maniac)

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “You got that right. I finally gave up...

Me, too. I bet you've never felt better :)

ChuckTom ChuckTom

'Tis nothing new...nor unique to the US.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/...history-020210

Bozette Bozette

Actually, heroin and LSD came before cocaine, and opium before that. Heroin is just being rediscovered.

RideCaptainRide RideCaptainRide

In response to “Actually, heroin and LSD came before cocaine...

You are right.
Point is, there seems to always have been an "epidemic".
It is, my thought, that there will always be

Carla Carla OP

I doubt it, we know Washington farmed pot. That is but isn't a drug, I think it counts given it's still illegal is most parts.

Heroin is exploding because of the legalization of pot. We have evidence of pot-farmers ripping up their plants and replacing them with poppy after the first round of legalization.

We need to seriously consider following the example of Portugal, they legalized across the board and it has served them well. We're never going to eliminate drug use, but it can be controlled through legalization as have alcohol, cigarettes and guns.

I've always found the term "controlled substances" oxymoronic. You can't control what is farmed, manufactured, sold and bought secretly. Bring it out into the light of day through legalization, then you can impose controls.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I doubt it, we know Washington farmed pot...

I agree with most of what you say
But......weed hasnt caused the heroin problem.

Opioid medication, and the over exuberant way that it is prescribed is the reason for the heroin resurgence

Carla Carla OP

In response to “I agree with most of what you...

It didn't make heroin popular, for sure, but it greatly reduced the price of heroin as the supply greatly increased.

$4 bags of heroin weren't a thing prior to legalization, now they're everywhere. It was merely smart business on the part of suppliers.

The bigger problem we'll face in the coming years is teen access to it, that will have relatively little to do with opioid use (which is definitely a factor) and more to do with their open access to the black market.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

Washington State has had the same heroin problem for years and years before weed was ever made legal. However the amount of overdoses we see in the hospital is down by some 80% so if people are using they are not overdosing as much because we rarely see them nowadays.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Washington State has had the same heroin...

Perhaps they should conduct a study into heroin use in the state. I suspect it would confirm a drop in overall heroin use with a corollary to pot legalization.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Perhaps they should conduct a study into...

It is odd but most of the heroin problems in this state are mostly in King County but nobody seems to know why it is so concentrated in the one area of the state.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “It is odd but most of the heroin problems in...

I know that in Louisiana it was primarily a problem in the major metro areas because that's where the methadone clinics were centralized.

Two years or more of heroin addiction was a requisite for methadone maintenance patients. Opioid patients would eventually turn to that as an alternative to the doctor-shopping that had become so commonplace.

Are there maintenance *clinics* in King Country?

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

No not On Earth. The oldest ancient records speak of intentional intoxication in one manner or another in every corner of the Planet. The reason for this is simple. We as a species had to learn what was safe to eat through trial and error. We learned a whole lot about poisons. We also learned which of those poisons in moderation made us "feel good". Most of the plants which trigger the "feel good" effects in our brains, use their chemicals as a means of survival. As in they evolved as well. Humans have simply been able to synthesize what has already been going on for millions of years.

DW2 DW2

Yes, the colonial times, or the civil war times xD

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Yes, the colonial times, or the civil war times xD

Alcohol was really big during the colonial times (and ever since). And yes, alcohol is a drug too.

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “Alcohol was really big during the colonial...

Not exactly, alcohol has many many uses so I couldnt classify it as a drug exactly.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Not exactly, alcohol has many many uses so I...

I was using the definition of a drug as any substance which is mind-altering or affects sensory perception, which alcohol definitely does. Why else would it be illegal to drive after drinking alcohol?(jolly)

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “I was using the definition of a drug as any...

That's true completely, just that when you say drugs i think of heroin, cocaine and stuff. I use alcohol a lot, more than you can imagine :D but I don't drink it, I burn it in my alcohol lamp when I work, plus I use methanol which would outright kill anyone who drinks it.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Also people were harvesting tobacco and using nicotine at least 150 years prior to the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Probably not, since Tobacco was Virginia's cash crop prior to the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Dextromethorphan aka Robotussin can make your mind enter a door

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

As long as there are people and drugs, there will be people using drugs

Wunderscore Wunderscore

Our nation? You tell me...

Alcohol: The earliest alcoholic drink dates back to 7,000-6,600 B.C. Residues of the drink were found in pottery shards from the ancient village of Jiahu, in China’s Henan Province. The drink consisted of a mixture of rice, honey, and fermented grapes or other fruit.

Hallucinogens: The earliest fossil remains of the hallucinogenic San Pedro cactus, found in a cave in Peru, date back to between 8,600 and 5,600 B.C. The seeds of mescal beans, found in what is now southern Texas and northern Mexico, date from the end of the ninth millennium B.C. to 1000 A.D. And small stone sculptures called “mushroom stones” found in Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras and El Salvador suggest hallucinogenic mushrooms were used in sacred cults between 500 B.C. and 900 A.D.

Opium: The earliest found fossilized remains of the opium plant, dating back to the mid-sixth millennium B.C., were found at a dig site in Italy less than 20 miles northwest of Rome. Remains of poppy seed capsules and traces of opiates have been discovered in the plaque and bones of human skeletons dating back to the 4th millennium B.C., along with prehistoric art showing parts of the poppy being used in religious ceremonies.

Coca leaves: The earliest evidence of humans chewing coca dates back to South America around 8,000 years ago. The remains of pieces of coca leaves have been found in house floors in Nanchoc Valley, Peru, and in human dental remains and mummy hair.

Tobacco: Smoking pipes dating back to around 2,000 B.C. have been found in northwestern Argentina, although it’s unclear whether they were used for tobacco or other hallucinogenic plants. Remnants of nicotine found in pipes date back to 300 B.C.

Jaxxi Jaxxi

In response to “Our nation? You tell me... Alcohol: The...

That was a good read
Thank you jaxxi

Carla Carla OP

In response to “That was a good read Thank you jaxxi

You are welcome! Its pretty interesting, but im going to guess that were doomed on the war with drugs...

Jaxxi Jaxxi