Post of the Day

TiffaneeBozetteAdaWill_JanitorSukiesnow
On the subject of paradoxes ..Can God create a stone so heavy even he can't lift it... you can give an answer or list one of your favorite paradoxes

Can you fold an object that is unfoldable?

VicZinc VicZinc

I guess the answer depends on if he goes to the gym a lot

Surfcrab OP

I really have nothing more to say on the matter thank you very much

Surfcrab OP

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Can you fold an object that is unfoldable?

Well I would believe that its atoms can be considered folded in layers no?

Surfcrab OP

In response to “Well I would believe that its atoms can be...

Mash potato you can't fold mash it just makes a big f-ing mess. (nrd)乂^◡^乂

Ada Ada

In response to “Way to go, ADA! Ha!

Ada science. (jolly)(hehe)乂º◡^乂

Ada Ada

Why would he want to?

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Why would he want to?

I'll ask him that for you when I'm dead

Surfcrab OP

Can something be sliced so thin it only has one side?

Surfcrab OP

In response to “http://data.amirite.net/user_images/58d9bac0a6f...

This one's a killer hon. .. what did you get for an answer?

Surfcrab OP

In response to “Ya up on your geometry...

I definitely get the gist I looked at what you sent period there's also one would a chocolate bar if you cut it a certain way after eating one piece you can make the entire bar again.. that's what I thought what you posted was akin to because I was going to actually say maybe the missing Square is borrowing a slight amount of area from each box..in other words if you had a undetectable stripe of one color edging all the other colors to make it vanish

Surfcrab OP

There's an easy way to see that the lower figure contains an extra square cm.

In both cases, the entire colored figure is drawn on a 5 x 13 cm rectangle of area 65 sq cm.

If you work out the blank area OUTSIDE the first colored figure, you get 12 + 5 + 16 = 33 sq cm, so the figure itself must contain 65 - 33 = 32 sq cm.

Doing the same for the outside of the lower colored figure, you get 12 + 5 + 15 = 32 sq cm, so the figure itself must contain 65 - 32 = 33 sq cm, one more than in the first case.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “There's an easy way to see that the lower...

The lower figure contains exactly the same amount of blue, red, green, and purple areas, it is just taking up more space because the colored areas were moved and one squares worth of uncolored space is now located inside the colored area, instead of outside.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “The lower figure contains exactly the same...

Yes, that happens because the (entire) colored area is not a true triangle in either case. The slope of the green triangle is a little steeper than that of the red one.

It is a packing problem. In the first case, the 32 colored squares pack together perfectly with no gaps to form the upper pseudo-triangle; In the second, the 32 colored squares pack together with one blank square left over. That's the 33rd square of the lower pseudo-triangle.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Yes, that happens because the (entire)...

I know why it is tbat wau, even supplied a link explaining it.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I know why it is tbat wau, even supplied a...

Sure, but the link then proceeded to show that the extra area was 1 sq cm by a needlessy complicated calculation.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Sure, but the link then proceeded to show...

Whatwver, Thinkerbell. It was an accurate explanation.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Whatwver, Thinkerbell. It was an accurate...

Ploddingly accurate? Yes.

Elegantly simple? No. (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Ploddingly accurate? Yes. Elegantly...

I am sorry, Thinkerbell, but I didn't find your explanation "elegantly simple". Have a nice night.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I am sorry, Thinkerbell, but I didn't find...

You didn't?
Gee, you only needed simple arithmetic to follow my solution. Just addition, subtraction and multiplication of integers.

The link's proof was so complicated, Thomas even had to leave out steps, in the interests of "sparing you the arithmetic" of adding and subtracting quantities raised to the fourth power and then taking the square root of the result, but I guess you did all that in your head. (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “You didn't? Gee, you only needed simple...

Simply counting the squares does not explain the why of the illusion.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Simply counting the squares does not explain...

The why of the illusion was obvious from the beginning... the colored pseudo-triangle can't be a real triangle. The vertical and horizontal sides are straight, so the hypotenuse must be bent.

I'm talking about proving that the extra blank area is exactly 1 sq cm. The link used a sledge hammer to crack a peanut.

I once had an algebra teacher that told us not to make problems more complicated than they needed to be. That was wise advice then, and remains so today.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “The why of the illusion was obvious from the...

Were it obvious to everyone, it wouldn't be a paradox, now would it?

I agree with your teacher and that the link went further into the math than was necessary. Your original statement, however, was an oversimplification that still didn't explain the paradox to those it was not obvious to.

Have a nice weekend, Thinkerbell.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Were it obvious to everyone, it wouldn't be a...

There are easily-resolved momentary paradoxes (like this "triangle" illusion) and there are also difficult paradoxes (such as those posed by quantum mechanics) that even the world's greatest physicists have not yet been able to resolve after 100 years.

Here is an old paradox, akin in some ways to the "triangle."

Three traveling salesmen, in order to save money, agree to share a room at a cheap hotel. The desk clerk tells them the overnight rate for the room is $30, and collects $10 from each salesman.

A short time later, the clerk realizes he made a mistake, that he should only have charged $25 for the particular room he gave the salesmen.

So the clerk gives the bellhop $5 in singles and sends him to the room with instructions to give the $5 to the salesmen.

But the bellhop is dishonest, giving only $3 to the salesmen ($1 to each), and keeping $2 for himself.

Now comes the question: Each salesman made a net payment of $9, or $27 total. The bellhop has $2. What happened to the remaining dollar of the original $30?

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

This statement is false.

Carmo Carmo

In response to “This statement is false.

Was a question, i believe

Carla Carla

The youth of the sixties tried so hard to change the world

Why are they now trying so hard to change it back?

Carla Carla

In response to “The youth of the sixties tried so hard to...

Cause they all live in northern CA? :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

The answers you seek my dear are in University

Surfcrab OP

In response to “The answers you seek my dear are in University

Please explain.

Carla Carla

The Omnipotent Paradox dates back to the 12th century to Averroës who asked, “Could an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that even they could not lift it?” This would be like seeking an answer to the question, “What would happen if an irresistible force were to meet an immovable object?” This statement seems to make sense at first, but upon closer examination, we must ask if there is a force that is irresistible, and if there was, then there can be no immovable object. Both cannot be true because if an irresistible force does exist, then there cannot be an immovable object. The point is an object cannot in principle be immovable if a force exists that can in principle move it.

The answer is NO He cannot "do" that. Note that there is no limit however to the size of a rock that He can create, and there is no limit to the size of a rock that He can lift. Thus the question - answered in the negative - involves no limitation on God's prerogatives; if answered in the positive however does. The whole thing is a play on words.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “The Omnipotent Paradox dates back to the 12th...

Yes but God could add material to the Rock and limit himself to how much material he can lift without wearing a safety harness

Surfcrab OP

In response to “Yes but God could add material to the Rock...

What's your point Surf?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “What's your point Surf?

Jokingly the point is we don't know if God has a limit to his own powers. When youman Ben's say he can do anything it might just pertain to what we consider anything no?

Surfcrab OP

In response to “Jokingly the point is we don't know if God...

A joking point?
You don't know about the power of God.
I don't know youman Ben or what he has said.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “A joking point? **You** don't know about the...

That was a talk text error but let's stop beating this dead horse

Surfcrab OP

In response to “That was a talk text error but let's stop...

OK, let's.
Surf, Your disbelief is not a license to berate others for their belief.
You don't take God seriously; I understand.
I do - understand?

Budwick Budwick

No, but he did need a rest on the 7th day after the creation........

voxlug voxlug

In response to “https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static...

This puppet is false

Surfcrab OP

Can God make everybody believe in him if God doesn't exist?

DW2 DW2

In response to “Can God make everybody believe in him if God...

You beat me to that one!

AliceD AliceD

In response to “You beat me to that one!

I usually do. :) :)

DW2 DW2

That's just silly. The bible mentions several things God can't do. For instance, He can't lie and He can't change.

SmartAZ SmartAZ