☠️  Is coal dead as an energy source?

doctorwho1011TiffaneeChuckTomOzSurferNowlostWill_JanitorSukiesnowJohannaCarlavoxlug
☠️ Is coal dead as an energy source?

I don't think so.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I don't think so.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I think it depends on which country you ask. My country seems to be turning away from it even with our large coal resources. Not sure about other countries though. If you were to ask, should we continue using it because it's there, I would find that a lot harder to answer.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I think it depends on which country you ask...

Why coal if you can sun in Australia.. :)

voxlug voxlug

In response to “Why coal if you can sun in Australia.. :)

That's the idea, renewable energy is to replace all coal fired power stations. The only problem is at the moment they are closing the old coal fired plants but not replacing them with renewable.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “That's the idea, renewable energy is to...

Surely they have a plan to replace the generation of the plants they are closing or you will be in the dark for a few years. :) I am sure there is a plan behind it all.

voxlug voxlug

In response to “Surely they have a plan to replace the...

It seems that each government leaves it to the next one. So recently they decided to close a huge power station that's 50 years old but nobody has built solar to replace it and now everyone is panicking at the impending blackouts that are going to occur in a few months time. So the government has fast tracked a natural gas powered plant which should be ready in about a year. It seems like a good idea under the circumstances but I'm disappointed that none of our state governments seem to have a long term plan for this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017...prices/8393932

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “It seems that each government leaves it to...

Well lets hope it works out, I personally know there are a lot of huge renewable energy projects happening in Australia, beautiful hybrid ones, combining solar and wind with storage.

voxlug voxlug

In response to “Well lets hope it works out, I personally...

That's great to hear, I hope they develop into something that helps. One project I did read about was a large battery bank that was going to store solar/wind generated energy and could power the state during peak periods. I really hope that is developed as it sounds like it would solve a lot of problems. Apparently the price was relatively cheap too :)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “That's great to hear, I hope they develop...

With the advancement of storage technology, renewable energy can be a lot more effective and cheaper.
That is what some people do not understand about renewable, they keep getting better and better as technology advances compared to fossil fuel that keep getting worse. (Pollution and availability)

voxlug voxlug

In response to “With the advancement of storage technology...

Yes I agree, the sooner we remove our reliance on fossil fuels the better. My dream has always been to build my own home that is energy self-sufficient.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “Yes I agree, the sooner we remove our...

Same here, I would love to design a ego friendly home, preferably one that generates most of not all of it's own electricity and perhaps contribute to the grid.
I think the mini grids schemes are the way of the future, where everyone generates and puts excess back into the grid.

voxlug voxlug

Imagine all countries in the world becoming self sufficient. No one buys gas or oil anymore and no one digs up coal. What a very different world this would be.

voxlug voxlug

In response to “Imagine all countries in the world becoming...

It'd be amazing! but I can think of a few oil companies and very rich people that wouldn't be too happy about it... but they've had their time... now it's ours...soon i hope :)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “It'd be amazing! but I can think of a few oil...

yes, including the nuclear industry. They will have to get their grubby hands on renewable energy, perhaps patent the sun and making catching sunrays illegal.

voxlug voxlug

In response to “yes, including the nuclear industry. They...

(hehe) don't put it past them, I'm sure they'll try it if they can. I'd love to see the day when regular people are no longer dependent on oil

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “(hehe) don't put it past them, I'm sure...

Can you imagine 'we' do not have to invade countries to protect 'our' oil anymore, lol
Can you imagine the oil countries starting to have to look after themselves rather than rely on getting rich from oil and buying those gold plated vehicles......

voxlug voxlug

In response to “Can you imagine 'we' do not have to invade...

Yes exactly!! and imagine all the money we send overseas for oil, could hopefully stay in our own countries.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

It should be. There are far better ways to generate electricity if you have a long term goal and if you plan far into the future.

voxlug voxlug

No. We intend to sell massive amounts overseas - the current administration and its supporters are so convinced global warming is a scam that they will purposely increase global air pollution just to line their pockets with cash.

VicZinc VicZinc

In this country we still use it to generate much of our electricity..

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Not completely but on the decline. Cleaner energy sources are taking over, natural gas, solar, wind.

Nowlost Nowlost

Trumps promise to put all the miners back to work is a promise that he cannot fulfill.

Nowlost Nowlost

I'm not sure.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Coal will die a very slow death. There is too much capacity to replace quickly with wind and gas. Solar doesn't have a chance without much better technology to make it affordable, and they are trying to shut down the nuke plants. Politicians can say what they want about cleaning up the environment, but the American people are not going to accept power outages and rolling brown outs to do it.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

No, but it has some competition. Finally...

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

Not really.

Zippy Zippy

Yes, we can only hope.

Trish Trish

Well, if all those trees started growing leaves again I should think everyone would be pretty surprised. So yes, Dead it is.

AliceD AliceD

In the USA?---probably.

tomjackson