If you don't like an idea don't try to restrict the options of others to follow it

TomboyJanetTiffaneeCarlaLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredVicZincSukiesnowSofiaPhilboydStudgeRoostervoxlugDW2ergoproxyMashaChuckTombird1986Jaxxithatdude100PartyOfOneOzSurfer

JerryHendricksonDWFProdigalSonBudwicksh9683

PhilboydStudgeVicZincdoctorwho1011TiffaneeChuckTomOzSurferSofiaMashaSukiesnowCarlaProdigalSon

I dislike ideas around the Jehovah's Witness but I will fight to death their right to follow it.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

is this not yet another way of restricting the ideas of people who disagree with this idea?

Wunderscore

In response to “is this not yet another way of restricting...

Restrict IS a strong word

Carla Carla

People's rights end where another's begins. For instance you don't have the right to grab a random person tie them up and force them to worship you without their consent. You should never have the right to take away other people's rights.

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

In response to “People's rights end where another's begins...

which is your belief, and one which restricts the beliefs of others

Wunderscore

In response to “which is //your// belief, and one which...

My belief is I love a girl named Ashley and would like to marry her. Banning gay marriage would be putting someone's belief over mine, someone who is unaffected by it. It's like saying I don't like cookies let's ban them from all stores so no one can have them it's insanity

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

In response to “My belief is I love a girl named Ashley and...

or like saying "I don't like when people restrict the opinions of others so I'm going to restrict the opinions of people who support it"

Wunderscore

In response to “or like saying "I don't like when people...

Opinion is a thought
Restriction is an action

Carla Carla

In response to “Opinion is a thought Restriction is an action

In the comment you replied to, I used "restrict" as a verb, and "(the) opinion(s of others)" as the direct object of said verb

Wunderscore

In response to “In the comment you replied to, I used...

I am not a grammar expert. But doesnt that still mean that restriction is the action? And opinion still a thought?

Carla Carla

In response to “I am not a grammar expert. But doesnt that...

Yes. I guess I'm confused about why this was brought up

Wunderscore

In response to “Yes. I guess I'm confused about why this was...

My fault. I started it by saying restrict was a strong word.

Carla Carla

No. totally incorrect. You're allowed to not support gays, you should not be allowed to harm gays by taking away their rights. Thats a big difference.

Think about it this way. If You don't like cookies. You're entitled to not like cookies. You're not entitled to take cookies away from other people because you don't like them.

AND I SAID OPTIONS NOT OPINIONS!

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

In response to “No. totally incorrect. You're allowed to not...

It's clear that I'm not communicating my point effectively :-/

Wunderscore

In response to “It's clear that I'm not communicating my...

not at all. You're talking about opinions and I'm not talking about that I'm saying you shouldn't limit the freedoms of others

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

In response to “not at all. You're talking about opinions and...

This is exactly why I said that

Wunderscore

Sorry janet. I think we all, ALL should enjoy the same rights. If someones sensiblities are bruised, then they should live in seclusion

Carla Carla

In response to “Sorry janet. I think we all, ALL should enjoy...

I said Option not opinion OPTION!!!! like you shouldn't be like NO GAY **** cuz I THINK ITS BAD (by law)

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

what about the second amendment? do you still hold the same belief? or are you a hypocrite, if you don't respond, i will think you are the latter

sh9683 sh9683

In response to “what about the second amendment? do you still...

I'm for gun rights ya ding dong

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

In response to “I'm for gun rights ya ding dong

you are a rarity,

sh9683 sh9683

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “I dislike ideas around the Jehovah's Witness...

I wish they would just stop coming to my door.

ergoproxy ergoproxy

Straight people: "I don't mind gay people but I just wish they wouldn't be so in your face about it."

Straight people:

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Gay...

Oh come on every DAY is straight pride day! Fitty cent and his 17 "hoez" grinding up on eachother, some drunk ** making out poorly with his girl, every ** ad for hollister ever featuring more than one person, Movies, Games, TV, Comics. ITS EVERYWHERE

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

In response to “Oh come on every DAY is straight pride day!...

Hmmm, maybe we can ALL agree to public decency, morality! Are you in?

Budwick Budwick

Thats a stupid thing to say, it's definitely not trur.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Straight people: "I don't mind gay people...

Anyone being up in your face is highly annoying staight, gay, unicorn whatever. Blatant exhibitionism of anything is annoying, yes even if they are the sacred gays, parading with your sexuality is annoying and it'd be very boring if the most significant thing about a person is who they like to ****.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

If you don't like an idea, try to restrict the options of others to follow it.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

This is a question with a lot of grey areas. Some things do need to be restricted. But I agree with the general idea.

Sofia Sofia

How about we respect each other's inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

As a blanket statement I had to disagree with this one. There are plenty of bad ideas out there that hordes of people latch onto. While some may have zero effect on those it doesn't apply to there are plenty of others that do.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

In response to “As a blanket statement I had to disagree with...

well I meant as long as that idea doesn't infringe on other people. Like Gay marriage, one side is for it cuz it will make them happy directly, one side is against it just because they don't like it. The first side wins hands down. You're mild discomfort of knowing somewhere someone you don't know is getting married somewhere you can't see is not an issue worth making laws over

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet OP

Good statement. We all don't like the same things but that doesn't mean we should restrict others.

Rooster Rooster

The thought is too open ended. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed. Back in the day, you could more or less count on society to follow social norms. These days, it's far too common for people to challenge social norms and then say something like "If you don't like an idea don't try to restrict the options of others to follow it".

Budwick Budwick

In response to “The thought is too open ended. There //are//...

I think its just that popular opinions are shifting and if you don't follow you will have a barrage of disapproval coming your way. Same crap different day, there still are opinions you're not "allowed" to have.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Intolerance is the only thing that should not be tolerated, for the rest, who cares as long as it does not harm.

voxlug voxlug

In response to “Intolerance is the only thing that should not...

Isn't that statement self contradicting?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

yes liberals, don;t like guns, don;t get one but don;t stop others from owning them, don;t like the idea that a company won;t serve gays? leave them be and find a different company, don;t get in their way. etc etc, see your argument goes both ways. unless your a hypocrite!

sh9683 sh9683

Agreed I think this world would be better off without people. :) don't limit this idea. :)

DW2 DW2

Self-rule is not infringing on others' self-rule.

Masha Masha

I dont understand. If I dont like an idea, dont restrict others to follow what?

Jaxxi Jaxxi

I don't follow anyone so therefore I am not restricted

symplycurious symplycurious

Hey Janet I was wondering where you have been.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

What if it's a really bad idea? Those are the ones I don't like the most.

urwutuis urwutuis

At least not if you live in America. Defend the right to CHOOSE.

Jaxxi Jaxxi

If I not like an idea, I would never try to convince them to not like it, it's up to them....I might give them my opinion..

JD JD

Who is restricting your right to be with a woman? It's not accepted to be anti gay for quite some time now, it's like you're making an argument at...no one. It's almost as if antagonizing the opposite of your opinion is somewhat suppressing and censoring it instead of just opposing it with an argument.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Good advice ;D

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

What if an idea promotes murder? Should I just let it happen because I don’t like that idea?

sh9683 sh9683