Want to be a moderator?
What is your career/job how'd you get there? I need an idea of what I should do? (for a course that will lead meto a career)

OzSurferMashaSukiesnowZonkeyBalls

I have tried a number of times to get into a type of work that I'd really enjoy, but instead employers think I'm good with numbers and I end up in an IT or Finance field as I am now. I went to Uni to do an earth science degree, but half way through, I was encouraged to switch to IT, and got offered quite a good job before I'd finished. In a sense I wasted two years starting off in the wrong course, but the way I see it is, nothing you study is a waste. Choose something you think you like, and then as you go along, you can change, or who knows you might get offered a job too.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I'm afraid that if I do a course that I wont get a job, it might be a waste of time.

bird1986 bird1986 OP

In response to “I'm afraid that if I do a course that I wont...

You know what's a waste of time? Not doing anything at all. Sitting on your computer going from one thought to another about becoming gainfully employed but not actually taking a course that would give you a skill of some sort is a waste of time. Boo-hooing that no one will hire you because you have no skills is a waste of time.

Linnster Linnster

I'm currently unemployed. A long list of "off the books" military jobs behind. Loved computers, since I was a kid and these days, it's the age of the geek. Had a firm, lost the firm, now I'm cut loose and trying to figure out, what's next.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I have tried a number of times to get into a...

At least you got +1 from the Bird. Apparently I'm still considered to be a naughty boy. As it happens, I don't actually believe there is such a thing as "wrong course" or "useless education". It all comes handy in the long run. Hell, I studied travelling management after high school. I think she could be very interested in it, assuming my advice was any good?

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

You need to do what is suitable for you and what your interests are, forget about other people.

Markymark Markymark

You need to pick something you like and stick with it instead of just talking about it. I can't help but think that if you really wanted to get a job, you would have embarked on some educational course that would get you there by now. You've spent months doing a lot of talking and very little doing. As Nike says, JUST DO IT!

Linnster Linnster

Thought you were going to be an engineer.
????
No one here can tell you what is best.
Find your own path and walk it.

Carla Carla

I'm a freelance photographer and I got there through talent, work ethic, and simply loving what I do. Try things out and see if they resonate with you.

Masha Masha

Bird..if I could do it all over again... I'd Major in Meteorology and minor in Drama... seriously. TV Weatherman/ woman has to be the best job on earth given actual work vs pay.

DW2 DW2

Get a simple job and a cheap pad within walking distance. That is so you don't have to waste your money on transportation. Save half of everything you earn. Yes, half. To start, keep your savings in gold or silver coins which you do not store in anybody else's vault. (IOW hide them at home.) Spend your evenings studying investment books at the public library. When you are smart enough then you can make other investments. If you earn ten bux an hour and save half, in only ten years you will have A HUNDRED THOUSAND BUX not counting interest or capital gains or paper profits: only principle. There is no other plan that will give you a net worth above zero in only ten years. And there is no school that will teach you any such thing.

Does this plan work? Andrew Carnegie worked five years, saved his wages, and then put it all into a tech stock: telegraph. You might have heard the name. His hobby was building concert halls and libraries.

SmartAZ SmartAZ