Post of the Day
My mother was born in 1928, in the Texas panhandle. She has been through the depression, the dust bowl, WW11. She has seen many things develop and become ordinary. I asked her yesterday what she thought was our greatest achievement in her lifetime. Her answer.....the completely automatic washing machine:)

• Topics:LanguageReality
  • Post Of The Day on May 21st 2017

CarlaTiffaneeWill_JanitorPhilboydStudgeJustJimColoMarkymarkJanHaskellPiper2VicZincLil_PrincessJaxxiLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredMashaChuckTomJerryHendricksonTheresmoreOzSurfer

Nobody :)

PhilboydStudgeLil_PrincesssemplePiper2Darkest_SerenityMarkymarkTiffaneeChuckTomOzSurferWill_JanitorSukiesnow

Explained by Carla...

What do you think?

My mom was born in 1918, and she was thrilled with the advent of the vcr .... favorite movies on her own t.v.! I was born in 1947 (about the same time as television), and I am most grateful for real air conditioning. When I was a kid, only the movie theaters had it.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

No, not anonymous. Need to fix that

Carla Carla OP

In response to “No, not anonymous. Need to fix that

Ha! I was wonder who was the anon you were talking to, and it turned out to be you. (maniac)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Ha! I was wonder who was the anon you were...

:). Didnt know how long it would take.
Ser is quick.

Carla Carla OP

What do y'all think? Parents thoughts are good, too. But in your lifetimes, what do you think is the greatest achievement?

Carla Carla OP

She must have some amazing stories to tell.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “She must have some amazing stories to tell.

She does. Im glad i have a good memory, though. Her recollections are few, nowadays. I have to pull them.

Carla Carla OP

In response to “She does. Im glad i have a good memory...

Hurry - if she gets to be anything like my mom, she won't remember her own name.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Hurry - if she gets to be anything like my...

Well she is still pretty sharp. Just not as conversational as she once was

Carla Carla OP

In response to “Well she is still pretty sharp. Just not as...

That's good. Take advantage of it.

Linnster Linnster

Tape some conversations so you can always have her remembrances. My Mom did that with her mother, my sister has the tape won't let me see it because it makes her sad. selfish girl she is if she dosen't want to see nobody should - if she dosen't want desert after dinner nobody can have any. jeesh. I am calling tomorrow to demand she give it to me for safekeeping.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

That's interesting. My mom was born in 1931. I'll have to ask her the same question. I'm pretty sure my dad would say the gasoline engine.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “That's interesting. My mom was born in...

In your lifetime.....

Carla Carla OP

In response to “In your lifetime.....

If you are asking me what I think was the greatest achievement in my lifetime, I think it would be computer technology. It has made so many things possible that could never have been done without it.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “If you are asking me what I think was the...

True. How would we have been able to take selfies so easily?

Linnster Linnster

I can believe that Carla. I remember as a small child watching my Mom doing laundry with a machine with the rollers on top to squeeze out the water. Wash Day took all day.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “I can believe that Carla. I remember as a...

In your lifetime.....

Carla Carla OP

I remember helping my mom and grandma cause the ringer was cool at squeezing the water out of the clothes.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I remember helping my mom and grandma cause...

Lucky you still have both your hands:]

Carla Carla OP

In response to “Lucky you still have both your hands:]

That was the exciting part. Otherwise there was no interest. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

That was the upgrade. We had one on the farm that had a gas engine on it. (No electricity on the farm when I was little) When we got electricity, we took the engine off the old one and built a go-cart.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Ha Ha!! Genius!

When you don't grow up with a lot, you make the most out of what you have..<s> My brother could outrun it.... but it was still "cool"....

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “That was the upgrade. We had one on the farm...

Home built go carts.....good times:)

Carla Carla OP

In response to “Home built go carts.....good times:)

When we got older we put the grain augur motor on it. (10 HP) That was an accident begging to happen.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “When we got older we put the grain augur...

The ones i rode never had breaks. My cousin in texas built one with a lawn mower motor. Got my first broken bones on it. 2 in my left hand, drove it right into the chicken coup:) they let a 6 year old daredevil on it. My uncle took it and it was never seen again.....

Carla Carla OP

In response to “The ones i rode never had breaks. My cousin...

Brakes??? What the hell were brakes? That's what your feet, the soft side of the road, bushes, or inclines were for. (Or in your case, a chicken coop) LOL

JustJimColo JustJimColo

I smashed my fingers in it ... pain, but no breaks.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

For my Dad, I'd have to say, the tractor. I remember going into the loft of the barn as a kid and seeing all the harnesses for the horses they used to work the fields. (My Dad was born in 1913)

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “For my Dad, I'd have to say, the tractor. I...

Yes. The tractor revolutionalized the farming industry. Thus.....the dust bowl

Carla Carla OP

I will ask my mother and report back.

Tiffanee

In response to “I will ask my mother and report back.

In YOUR lifetime....

Carla Carla OP

In response to “In YOUR lifetime....

My lifetime?

I was going to say the internet but hmmmmmm I don't know really.

Tiffanee

In response to “My lifetime? I was going to say the internet...

Think on it...

Carla Carla OP

I have to say space exploration. Because of the spinoff technologies it has produced.....

Carla Carla OP

In response to “I have to say space exploration. Because of...

Yes, if not for space exploration, we wouldn't have Velcro.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Yes, if not for space exploration, we...

There you go:).

Carla Carla OP

And many other things. : )

I've cited this article a few times in the past (not sure if it was on here) when people start talking about defunding NASA or how pointless exploring our Universe is...
http://www.therichest.com/rich-...-use-everyday/

semple semple

In response to “And many other things. : ) I've cited this...

Yes, many of these inventions are great and make life better for us (SuperSoakers notwithstanding), but I wonder how long it would have taken the inventors to come up with them and at how much less a cost than the amount of money spent on space flights.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Yes, many of these inventions are great and...

Velcro was made after people watched how burdocks stuck, so you can bet some old codger was keeping his canvas tarps down with burdocks long before space travelers. I will have to look it up.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “My mom was born in 1918, and she was thrilled...

Central heat and air!

Carla Carla OP

In response to “Central heat and air!

Ya I was thinking heat or propane fireplace, they are nice but still a real nice old fireplace can not be beat for special occasions.

In response to “Central heat and air!

Fun fact... Thomas Midgley was the chemist/inventor who helped develop CFCs for use in air conditioning. He also decided it would be a good idea to add lead to gasoline.

Brilliant man... but... yeah. : )

semple semple

Once again.... yoga pants. : )

semple semple

In response to “Once again.... yoga pants. : )

But not my synonym for awesome... actual yoga pants. On women, obviously. : )

semple semple

In response to “But not my synonym for awesome... actual yoga...

Make that on well toned women, not the 600 pound ones like I have seen at walmart. (o_o)

In response to “(jolly)(jolly)(jolly)(jolly)(jolly)(jolly)(jolly)

That was my "in YOUR lifetime, what do you think is the greatest achievement?" answer. : )

I am positive my Ma's answer would be different. She's more into knitting thick scarves than appreciating yoga pants ...

semple semple

In response to “That was my "in YOUR lifetime, what do...

It's not just appreciation to watch women in yoga pants, it's an art.(hehe)

Markymark Markymark

When your former life involved this:
who would not understand?

Freeranger Freeranger

Hmm....I guess one of the first innovations I thought was really cool, was the cordless phone. After that, it would be the advent of affordable home computers. Even though I acquired one long after the majority of other people my age did, I immediately came to appreciate what I could do with it. ALL that information (or misinformation) there, if I didn't have a book handy on the subject! :)

My mom was born in 1928, too. She might have said what your mother did, since she grew up in a home that didn't even have indoor plumbing.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Hmm....I guess one of the first innovations...

What we take for granted, no?

Carla Carla OP

In response to “What we take for granted, no?

Yes, there are so many things I kind of take for "granted", until they stop working. Although I'm very grateful for them, I don't always realize just how much, until then.

Piper2 Piper2

Mum was born in 1914 at the start of ww1 and survived through ww2 and she would have been amazed at everything that has been invented...she died in 1968 and missed so much...

Platinum Platinum

In response to “Mum was born in 1914 at the start of ww1 and...

She saw, much. I cannot even imagine europe during ww11

Carla Carla OP

In response to “She saw, much. I cannot even imagine europe...

We were living in east London and I saw a map which showed where all the bombs were dropped, how we survived I'll never know...

Platinum Platinum

In response to “We were living in east London and I saw a map...

Im glad y'all did, my friend.

Carla Carla OP

That sounds like something my great grandmother would say. She was serious about a few things, the washing machine was one of them and her kitchenaid mixer was a close second. lol

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “That sounds like something my great...

Yes, my mother is partial to the dishwasher, too

Carla Carla OP

In response to “Yes, my mother is partial to the dishwasher, too

I'm kinda fond of it myself!

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In my lifetime...the cell phone. Even if mine makes me want to set it on fire sometimes...it is handy to have so I don't have to rush home to make a call or see what calls I missed.

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

Absolutely. Wish i had one.

Jaxxi Jaxxi

Greatest achievement in my Lifetime

Has to be the Cellphone Carla
I wonder how many Lives they have Saved.
We used to have to run to the nearest phone/box in an emergency.

For me personally, without her phone my Nerves would be shot.
With it, I know where my Teenage Girl is, when She's on her way home, when She's going to be late or decides to Sleepover with her friends.

Thank God (biggrin) Fantastic post btw hope it gets many more hits now it's POTD

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

My grandmother was born in 1922 but has dimentia

bird1986 bird1986

She must have had plenty of children to wash for? That just goes to show you how life is different for each of us. I wish my mother and grandmothers were still alive that would have been a good question for them.

In response to “She must have had plenty of children to wash...

She had 7 children

bird1986 bird1986

For me, in my lifetime? Electric screwguns. Put a screw into a chunk of wood by hand; then, try it with an electric screwdriver. I'm certain that it's the device that has saved me the most time.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

I don't consider technology to be an accomplishment.

Few people really know how or why the industrial revolution happened. Most assume that it happened because James Watt invented a steam engine. That is a typical assumption, considering that we Americans are mostly interested in our gadgets. The steam engine has been reinvented and forgotten several times in the last 2,000 years. The first known inventor was an Egyptian named Hero or Heron, and he could not think of any use for it other than to open the doors to a shrine.

The inventions that are unique to the modern period are:
* mass production, invented by Sam Colt to make pistols
* gonzo marketing, of which Diamond Jim Brady is the most famous example
* consumer financing, invented by Isaac Singer to sell sewing machines
* the savings bank, invented by Noah Webster

Prior to Mr. Webster, the dictionary guy, usury was condemned by almost everybody. Mr. Webster reasoned that it was ok for a man to own part of a business and to receive a portion of the profits, so it must be equally ok to deposit money with a steward who had a talent for investing in successful businesses. The depositor would not actually own a business, but he would have an interest in his steward's dealings and was entitled to be paid for his interest. Prior to that there was no such thing as retirement. People saved what they could of their earnings, or they hoped their children could support them, or they worked until they dropped. The savings bank was an obvious winner, and millions of people deposited their savings to get the benefit of compound interest, thereby providing huge amounts of investment money for new industries such as the recently reinvented steam engine.

SmartAZ SmartAZ

For me I would say it's modern anesthetic and pain relief in general

OzSurfer OzSurfer