I think

Lil_PrincessPiper2StarzAboveC_ZAR1OzSurferLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredSofiaJerryHendricksonBrianlZolfieMashaTheCensoredBritergoproxySunny_the_skepticBubgypsyking

Lil_PrincessSynyster TiffaneeStarzAboveDandyDonC_ZAR1OzSurferSofiaAdaSukiesnowThinkerbellprimeiroBlewynanifailBub
Amirite site post.....I'm thinking some of us on here need to reassess the Downvote because on other sites it's deemed as perfectly acceptable but on here it's not for obvious reasons to those of us who have been members here a couple of years +

Explained by Darkest_Serenity...

Since New & Returned members who clearly have been on other Sites like this have come to join us I think some of us have to realize that a Downvote is not a "**** you" all the time it's simply a "I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your opinion on this". Even myself who is not DV'd very often now am having to reassess my thinking on the DV on **Amirite.** I'm DV'd on other sites like **You tube** for my views at times and so are others but it never takes one off the issue at hand as I have seen it do on here so many times. I want to hear your thoughts on this. So I ask ALL AMIRITES can we as Adults move on and accept the DV as a simple disagree ? Even if as individuals we choose personally not to DV others. You may of noticed I don't DV.

I have always considered a downvote on here for when someone says something that's completely out of line and an attack on someone's character etc. But AliceD is showing us that it can be used for fun so I'm happy to adapt :)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I downvote all the time Its not a personal attack I'm disagreeing with the statement Not punching the person in the face

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “I downvote all the time Its not a personal...

I feel exactly the same as Janet! ....
On this topic!

Budwick Budwick

Or you could just reply to the comment with your own opinion...

JD JD

In response to “Or you could just reply to the comment with...

Yeah it feels **** if they downvote you with no explanation, I'm getting on what Sukie said, sometimes it's what you do when you dislike a person.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Yes...with what JD said. If you d/v someone..why not just tell them why? It's more freeing.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Yes...with what JD said. If you d/v...

Freeing? As in "blacks finally released from slavery" or "women finally getting the vote" freeing?

(And yes I downvoted you because I disagreed with you. Why? Because I can)

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “Freeing? As in "blacks finally released...

Why do you disagree?

And yes, I upVoted you since I don't hold grudges.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Yes but some are so sissy they can't take a tiny thumbs down. Don't like it sissies don't stay.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

The only other site I've been on that had a downvote all hell broke loose if someone used it.If I don't like post I won't upvote it-but I would never downvote it.People are entitled to their opinion. I do keep hitting it accidentally though! Big fingers.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

In response to “The only other site I've been on that had a...

Keep your big fingers away from my comments....hehe

JD JD

oh yes the graphics for up or down vote are very rotten. they could make it look a whole lot better

Even getting a down vote - at least you know they read your comment!
The up / down vote thing is not a big deal - like Ser said, it's an easy way to say 'I disagree'.

It's not like getting the most votes wins a trip to Disneyland. .... It doesn't mean that, right? Cuz, if I can get to Disneyland - I wanna change my vote!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Even getting a down vote - at least you know...

Two up votes towards Disneyland ....

JD JD

Right too bad some geyt hysterical if you don't love them. sissies desist (n)

In response to “Right too bad some geyt hysterical if you...

I know, right? I saw some ones comment that said - 'a downvote means you don't like the person that made the comment. ' Sounds like some one has self esteem issues to me. Someone that equates their self worth from upvotes! Wacky!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I know, right? I saw some ones comment that...

Bud OH YES , people can downvote me all day, I read why sometimes I change my mind but usually I just say fussy buggers and go on my way. Something I can do to mess it up is if too many downvote and I think it is silly - I can delete and they all go away hahahaha

On here a downvote means you don't like the person that made the comment. On a recent post I was very liberally downvoted; even on pleasant comments...you can't' say it was just a disagreement.

I can't imagine d/ving a friend... I've done it by accident and the person in question became very upset... I would rather not upVote it.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “On here a downvote means you don't like the...

A couple of times I've accidentally down voted a friend because I was using my phone and the buttons are so tiny. Well i didn't know for quite a while and I felt bad

OzSurfer OzSurfer

"On here a downvote means you don't like the person that made the comment. " - you're speaking like everyone uses it like that, and that's not the case. I, for example, have DV people who I think they're cool. I have also upvoted people who I don't like. Upvote and Downvote doesn't automatically mean you like or dislike that person.

Sofia Sofia

In response to “"On here a downvote means you don't like...

Just a question... Why DV when you could just tell them instead?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Just a question... Why DV when you could just...

Who says I don't tell them? I don't remember ever downvoting without replying somehow.

Sofia Sofia

In response to “Who says I don't tell them? I don't remember...

That works for me.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Someone needs to get thicker skin then.

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “Someone needs to get thicker skin then.

They certainly should.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

For some it is probably off-putting getting a downvote but it shouldn't be.
As for myself I would not hesitate downvoting an obnoxious comment or reply to a comment from a serially obnoxious person.

Bub Bub

Upvotes/downvotes/loves/agrees/disagrees on Amirite do not define me.

As always... JMHO

Bozette Bozette

People who down vote are ****...on this site they have always been used to put the person down...they should be banned they serve no purpose...if you don't like a comment, have the balls to tell them...or you could just move on...when we first arrived here, the site was ruined by socks, trolls and troublemakers and their close friends, by DVing anyone they did not like...

JD JD

In response to “People who down vote are ****...on this site...

hahaha we're all getting a DV as we speak. lol lol Does it matter...not to me. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “hahaha we're all getting a DV as we speak...

I've never liked them, it don't hurt my feelings but I just think it's pointless....so I've up voted and loved everyone....

JD JD

In response to “I've never liked them, it don't hurt my...

I agree. they are a waste of time.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

You noticed that huh? LOL

Bub Bub

In response to “You noticed that huh? LOL

It's cool, it's just AliceD having some fun... I think he's going for the world record number of down votes in a post :)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “It's cool, it's just AliceD having some...

Quite possibly :)

Bub Bub

Yep...lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Starz don't you think the ones who get excited about it maybe need to go out and live a life in the real world, then they get a lot of down votes in person toughen up like a person needs to do (what)

In response to “Starz don't you think the ones who get...

Sounds like a plan. lol I sure don't worry about the down votes, they mean nothing!!!!!

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Down vote for that one. Calling me an **** always gets one.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Down vote for that one. Calling me an ****...

That makes you a bigger **** ...but I won't sink to your level..

JD JD

In response to “That makes you a bigger **** ...but I won't...

Says the guy who upvotes and loves his own comments.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Says the guy who upvotes and loves his own...

And I do the same to most other decent members...just the way I am...but I would sooner do that than be an ****(hehe)(hehe)(hehe)(hehe)

JD JD

Wow they say that to you. totally unnecessary, they could say many words that are just as potent but less nasty. (angry)

So Platinum, are you saying you never down vote or that you're an @sshole?

Because I'm pretty sure I remember a long time ago you gave me multiple down votes and I wondered why...

Of course I assumed you were on some mobile device and just mistakenly hit down vote instead of up vote.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “So Platinum, are you saying you never down...

Not me Zolfie ...you have me mixed up with another ****....I have been cloned on here several times by socks, but the only dvs I've done on here are when I've been attacked by someone and just returned the favor , but that was ages ago and I've never done it multiple times...I've always been friends with you and I'm certain I've never dv you deliberately ....

JD JD

In response to “Not me Zolfie ...you have me mixed up with...

Like I said, I thought it was by accident. :)

Zolfie Zolfie

And now that the trouble makers are gone, the multiple downvote issue solved and everyones friends again, why not use it for the purpose it was originally designed for?

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “And now that the trouble makers are gone, the...

True...but unless someone is offensive, there ain't much point, if someone says something I don't agree with, then I'll reply and give my opinion...it is peaceful...

JD JD

It's very rare when I DV anyone, and even if I disagreed with a friend, I wouldn't DV them..... but if someone is being obnoxious and hateful, then I will DV them, not because I hate them, but because of what they said.

....and I rarely notice if someone has DV'd me, they don't really mean anything to me, if someone disagrees, so be it, I won't lose any sleep over it. And will have forgotten it in the blink of an eye, I have more important fish to fry.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “It's very rare when I DV anyone, and even if...

I still remember when I was getting up to 62 DVs with every comment I made, perhaps that's why I'm so against them now, brings back bad memories of the site when it was full of socks and trolls...also I was going through some problems of my own, when I was told I had cancer, so it hits a nerve..

JD JD

In response to “I still remember when I was getting up to 62...

I remember those days too, I never understood how we could receive all those DVs by people, sometimes I would get 35 on every one of my comments, even on a birthday post.

Are you OK now, cancer free?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I remember those days too, I never understood...

I'm fine now thanks...only 35, you must be popular..

JD JD

In response to “I'm fine now thanks...only 35, you must be...

Great.... Only 35 on one comment....some days a lot more. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Great.... Only 35 on one comment....some...

My record was 62, some old women and her socky friends....but I took the blows and did it my way.....hehe

JD JD

In response to “My record was 62, some old women and her...

I think she loves ya! (jolly)(jolly)(clap)(clap)

StarzAbove StarzAbove

There once was an Am'rite named Plat,
Who for downvotes did NOT give a rat
'S a*s, 'cuz downvoting trolls
Were just foul holes,
Who were here to cause trouble, not chat.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “**There once was an Am'rite named...

Very accurate...at last a nice poemmmm

JD JD

In response to “Very accurate...at last a nice poemmmm

Whaddaya mean, 'at last a nice poem'?!

They're ALL nice! (hehe)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Whaddaya mean, 'at last a nice...

Some are good ,some are bad
Some are happy, some are sad
Most are funny, few are nice
They make more sense than mine
And most don't cross the line..

JD JD

what a tiny little thing like that bothers you at all? This isn't anything but the internet take it as it comes as nothing here matters in your real life. So many just don't have a real life so that is when they become upset over nothing cheer up

I dunno, for as long as I've been here I havent seen downvotes unless there's some real heat going on here and I think people here take it as a subtle " **** you "

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Heheheheh snickers :)

AliceD AliceD

In response to “Heheheheh snickers :)

hehe

Bub Bub

I'm sure everyone has their own measure about when they think it's appropriate to downvote, upvote, or "love" replies and comments.

Personally, I think it's rather petty to vote down comments simply because you don't agree with them, or don't "like" the person who has commented.

Piper2 Piper2

This site has been neutered enough, with the taking away of the anonymous feature. Let's not completely ruin it.

dru18 dru18

I've known some people on here for a long time.
Those people i would never down vote.

Matter of fact...i don't remember if i've ever down voted anybody..
Maybe once or twice to return one given to me, then i gave up on doing that.

When someone you've been friends with for a long time, down votes you, blocks you, unblocks you, down votes you again and never gives an explanation.
It gets a little tiresome...

Don't agree with what i believe in...fine.

I have a right to give my opinion, just like they do...and i allowed you to do without harping about it..even though i don't agree with it..

DandyDon DandyDon

Can't stop ** being **...

JD JD

In response to “Can't stop **** being ****...

I just wanted to help prove your point. (biggrin)

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I just wanted to help prove your point. (biggrin)

Tut tut Phil. .....

JD JD

John...what do you mean.

That's okay... I just caught your previous comment and I agree.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

It's an opinion site, right? If I ever down vote one of your comments, please don't take it personally. I'm voting on your comment - not you. Conversely, getting down voted doesn't ruin my day. That being said, I dislike when someone down votes a comment but fails to give the reason.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “It's an opinion site, right? If I ever down...

I take it personally ....all my comments are wonderful...

JD JD

Ser... Amirite starts it off... A Disagreement - according to Amirite - is a negative vote... This is where members get the idea from...it all stems from the top.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

No reasonable person should get mad at being downvoted. It may be reasonable to get mad when someone downvotes all of your posts no matter how innocuous, but even then the real problem is that if someone does that they'll probably also target you in other, more harmful ways

DWF DWF

In response to “No reasonable person should get mad at being...

I can't be reasonable then....

JD JD

In response to “I can't be reasonable then....

You should probably take some time to examine why you take this site so seriously then

DWF DWF

In response to “You should probably take some time to examine...

There is nothing I've said that should make you think I take this site seriously, I take it less seriously than most..because I think dv are completely pointless, when,if you have enough intelligence, you can reply to a comment, with your own point of view and not be pathetic to dv someone's opinion...

JD JD

In response to “There is nothing I've said that should make...

You said that you got mad when people downvoted you. That sounds to me like taking this website too seriously

DWF DWF

In response to “You said that you got mad when people...

I never said I get mad, I could not care less , but they are childish and pointless..as I said if you ain't got the balls to reply with a reason then your an ****..if you think I take this website seriously, then you have a problem, not me ...I'm hardly on here much...I have a life..

JD JD

In response to “I never said I get mad, I could not care...

Then why did you say you weren't reasonable?

DWF DWF

In response to “Then why did you say you weren't reasonable?

Because I'm not,when it comes to DVs

JD JD

In response to “Because I'm not,when it comes to DVs

Then you take this site too seriously

DWF DWF

In response to “Then you take this site too seriously

Hehe,.this coming from a a dr. Who fanatic..that is funny...too sad

JD JD

In response to “Hehe,.this coming from a a dr. Who...

I care about Doctor Who because it's something that gives me enjoyment. Are you saying that you're "unreasonable" about downvotes because you like being mad about things for the sake of it?

DWF DWF

In response to “I care about Doctor Who because it's...

I never get mad about anything, but reading your profile, you are obsessed about everything a five year old gets excited about..but I'm far from being serious about the Internet ...I have a social life and come on amirite while watching a film ..so stop being obsessed with me and move on...

JD JD

In response to “I never get mad about anything, but reading...

Then why did you start this conversation in the first place?

DWF DWF

In response to “Then why did you start this conversation in...

Because I did not think it would it would be a conversation...I reply a lot of times to your posts and you never reply, so I never imagined in my wildest dreams , that you would respond...but it's an opinion site and nothing in the rules says we can't respond ...

JD JD

In response to “Because I did not think it would it would be...

What you've said today is frankly far ruder than any downvote

DWF DWF

In response to “What you've said today is frankly far ruder...

I've not been rude to you, on the other hand you have been offensive...so call it a day and move on....

JD JD

In response to “I've not been rude to you, on the other hand...

You called me a five year old

DWF DWF

In response to “You called me a five year old

No I never, I said you get excited like a five year old...

JD JD

In response to “No I never, I said you get excited like a...

You clearly meant it in an insulting way

DWF DWF

I'm okay with Disagrees and DV.

I use disagree but I tend to explain my point of view with a comment or reply. On DV though, I use it when someone is rude or said something wrong or a lie. Does everyone use it like that? Nope. I have a bunch of anonymous disagrees, and people downvoting comments I made that have no rudeness in it - they downvote simply because they don't like me or I'm not agreeing with whatever they are saying, so I stopped caring a long time ago. They want to Disagree with everything I say, okay, they want to DV every comment I make, okay. No matter what, I'll keep on using it as I normally do.

Sofia Sofia

In response to “I'm okay with Disagrees and DV. I use...

Clariying: "On DV though, I use it when someone is rude or said something wrong or a lie. " - I mean, something that I see as wrong. Other people might think it's harmless to say it, but I don't.

Sofia Sofia

I save my downvotes for comments that disgust me.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I have always considered a downvote on here...

Yes to both of your sentences.

Bub Bub

For the sake of History on this Site. There were those who would intentionally go through and downvote anything a specific user ever said whether they agreed with it or not. It can be used as a weapon for disgruntled users. Tis the reason a friend of mine left this site.i should mention that was 4 years ago and it was actually a moderator who was admittedly doing it. Hundreds and hundreds of posts.

DW2 DW2

In response to “For the sake of History on this Site. There...

Yay for professionalism.

Sofia Sofia

Proof that not all was swell in the good old days on Amirite.

Bub Bub

Long live the downvote feature!

Masha Masha

In response to “Long live the downvote feature!

I'm fine with it existing if it isn't abused. Though it will be. :)

DW2 DW2

In response to “I'm fine with it existing if it isn't abused...

Tis just a philosophy of mine that if I can not intelligently debate a post I disagree with.. then they win. I think a downvote is a cop out. I either choose to debate or to move on to other discussions. I shall never hit that button. It would make me think less of myself.

DW2 DW2

Exactly!

Tiffanee Tiffanee

I still down vote. It is not about the person it is about the opinion.

I like down votes and have always said ...

Please vote, up or down!

I would rather have a DV than no vote.

VicZinc VicZinc

I don't think I've ever downvoted, but I've been DVed in the past. Sometimes on controversial comments/opinions, the UV and DV balance out. I've seen it used by people that dislike a certain person, but the purpose of it is to express your agreement/disagreement with a comment.

BlindMist BlindMist

I seldom down vote anyone even those I disagree with. I've been down voted its no big deal. If I think I'm going to come on an opinion site and put my opinion out there for the world to see and think that out of all who read it no one is going to disagree and down vote it. Then I need to seek out some therapy. If they want to leave a comment as to why great. That just means we have an oportunity to have some dialoge.

Brianl Brianl

Does a down vote hurt a person's standing or get them in trouble?

ergoproxy ergoproxy

I've personally down-voted very few times over the years, and only because the posts were completely hateful or bullying.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Increase the identity of posts to avoid boredom to members, We need new research in the future

S_Tirta S_Tirta

Very good point. It's always interesting when cultures clash... in this case, different site cultures ;P

Zolfie Zolfie

I never downvote I either ignore the vote or I upvote or heart if I want to

bird1986 bird1986

Well downvoting comes across as a lot more personal when there are so few people around. Back in old amirite when post of the day reached about 2,000 votes, the upvotes and downvotes were more of a reflection of a populous though rather than an individual's. Nowadays, I only downvote comments if I can't argue my point any further or it's something straight up offensive. In arguments I usually stay away from downvoting since it's already clear from the argument I'm in, how I feel about the statements. If there were a lot of people, I'd be more content just downvoting and waltzing away cuz my one vote would be much less significant.

But then again I also don't really care and am totally willing to downvote more often, I just don't often come across stuff worth downvoting.

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

Well call me an **** cause I ain't afraid to press the downvote button if someone says something hurtful,mean,insulting or degrading to myself or another member that is a good friend(biggrin)

It is not a sign that I don't like someone...I am adult enough simply say "I don't like ya" (crs)

I have had downvotes and didn't get over dramatic about it....Maybe I should have been like "Oh whoa is me...I just got a downvote...I don't think I can go on anymore with this site...(ono)

Not everyone is gonna like what you say 24/7

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Well call me an **** cause I ain't afraid to...

I do see your point Princess. I simply prefer to tear people to shreds verbally when they attack my friends. When they attack me I usually brush it off unless I'm in the mood to have fun. It is when I'm downvoted with no follow up that I really have to examine the character of the person who did the downvoting. It's not that I'm personally hurt. I simply lose a great amount of respect for that person. And will likely ignore in the future. After all it is a discussion forum. Words are all that matter. I'd rather somebody tell me to go **** myself. Than just send a button laced with negativity in my general direction with no follow up. Get what I mean?

DW2 DW2

In response to “I do see your point Princess. I simply prefer...

Oh I understand. While I could easily tear someone to shreads I choose not to go completely down that path.

I lose control of my anger, don't remember saying things & I will not stop until someone hurts as bad as I do or made a friend feel. I keep that person in check.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

I never called you an ****, not really...if you dv someone because they insult or are offensive to you, then a DVs is fine...I have no problem with whatever punishment you give them...lol

JD JD

In response to “I never called you an ****, not really...if...

Hurting me or a friend is the only time I really do it. Now sometimes I do it my accident on this phone. If it happens anyone is more than welcome to say "Kat, I see you downvoted me, why?" If you are the phone icon, 9/10 times it was a simple mistake

Oh sometimes I can be an **** if provoked (hehe)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Hurting me or a friend is the only time I...

You're my kind of ****....hehe

JD JD

In response to “You're my kind of ****....hehe

Aww thank ya....I think (think)(hehe)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

Who the hell cares.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

Couldn't agree more. People need thicker skin, I swear.

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

I down vote when i don't like the post. why not??

Why is it there if it shouldn't be used? obvious to who? I downvote a bad post better to just downvote than talk about it.

Just a way to hate on other members if you ask me. I say get rid of it

C_ZAR1 C_ZAR1

In response to “Just a way to hate on other members if you...

I tend to agree my friend. I think people should need to use words to clarify their hatred of specific posts. The funny thing is I think this runs deeper than just an option on a website. I think it demands more from intellectual laziness. Picket signs are great. Though I'll often ask protestors to explain to me what their sign means. Most of the time they will have another 1 slogan comeback. So I'll ask what that "actually means". They will usually look at me like I fell off the side of a truck until they realize I actually want to know specifics about why they are so disgruntled. About 80% fold. 10% revert back to single popular phrases. The last 10% is important. They can truly have a discussion where I might actually learn something.

DW2 DW2

A rude gesture if you ask me... not upvoting/loving is almost as bad (but I understand some don't do it out of principle but that is their cold-hearted, mean, despicable choice not to do so... LOL)

Bub Bub

Oh please!

Would you rather a downvote or have someone chew your head off over something?

Tiffanee Tiffanee

I haven't down voted yet. I'm not sure I like the upvote downvote option. I'd rather just heart or not heart posts. I'm sure I will get used to it though

gypsyking gypsyking