SukiesnowZonkeyBallsThisLadyIsDangerous
Why is it made so much harder for a woman to build out a big successful career, than it is made for a man?

In response to “Sexism

If in the 21st century women still think "sexism" is the reason why they're not excelling/advancing in their careers...you all need to take a good look at YOURSELVES and your work ethic/talent in your field INSTEAD of blaming your lack of success/advancement just because you're a women!!!! I was a teenage mom back in 1980 and I still excelled at my career as a single mom back then... WITHOUT any Government assistance or a Government "village" to help raise(INDOCTRINATE) my son back then"!!! Yet here you are on a social media website in freakin' 2017 saying it's because of "sexism", smh.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “If in the 21st century women still think...

Congratulations on your success, but unfortunately your success is not everyone's success. And I'm successful in my own right at a young age, but that doesn't mean sexism doesn't exist. If sexism didn't exist, there wouldn't be a need for Black Women Equal Pay Day (which was just a few days ago). It's worse for Black women because we suffer from both racism and sexism. White women earn about 77 cents to every dollar White men earn. Black women earn about 64 cents to every dollar. Hispanic women earn about 56 cents. And even if you are successful, you still may not be earning as much as your male counterpart. I've heard from a couple of women in the technology arena that a lot of the time they're the only ones in the room that's not a White male. Not to mention women are still objectified in this apparent 21st century post-sexism era.

BlindMist BlindMist

In response to “Congratulations on your success, but...

Where are you getting your statistics from?? Back in the 80's my first boss at a "big bad" corporation I worked for was a black man who instilled in his team/department that he expected us(all white employees) to all be WORKING at our desks by 8 am, NOT to be just walking to our desks at 8am...then my next boss at that company was a female black woman(who became a life long friend) who also had the same hard work ethic as my 1st boss making a lot of money....both excelling in their careers back in the 80's BECAUSE of their hard work ethic. As I previously stated, IF in 2017 you are NOT excelling in your career choice, it's NOT because of your gender or because of the color of your skin....it's because you're not that good/talented at your profession of choice.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Where are you getting your statistics from??...

It's good that in your world neither racism nor sexism exists.

BlindMist BlindMist

In response to “It's good that in your world neither racism...

How is that in 2017 you as a woman in the USA "feel" oppressed, where I as teenage mom/single working mom back in the 80's NEVER felt oppressed or EVER felt that my gender as a female held me back from excelling at my career, yet you do in freakin' 2017???

Gronk17 Gronk17

I'm glad that you had a booming career. Congratulations.

ThisLadyIsDangerous ThisLadyIsDangerous OP

In response to “I'm glad that you had a booming career...

We all in USA have the same opportunities to excel at our jobs/careers IF one works hard and has a hard work ethic...those who do not excel in the USA need to take a long good hard look at THEMSELVES as to why they haven't achieved their "American Dream" INSTEAD of being a whiner blaming their lack of achieving their American Dream because of their race, gender or religious beliefs etc. etc.

Gronk17 Gronk17

It just is...this is still a patriarchal society...and unless women get more support around home & child care...it will not change.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

What an asinine question to ask....purposely in your attempt to make it seem like women in the 21st century(living in the USA and other free countries) somehow are given less opportunities than men to excel??? Look pal, women in the USA and other free countries are NOT "oppressed" or given less opportunities than men to excel in their field of work, and haven't been for DECADES, and even when women were truly oppressed, the STRONG WILLED women with a hard work ethic did excel in their careers!!!
If in 2017(the 21st century) you still haven't excelled in your career, IT'S NOT because you're a woman(Sexism), it's most likely because of your lazy work ethic and/or not being good at your job, NOT because you're a women.

Gronk17 Gronk17

its not, reason why men make it further is because they don;t take maternity leave. women who are dedicated make it just as far as men, feminist hatethat fact though, they want to blame "patriarchy"

sh9683 sh9683

Boobies. They tend to stick in the glass ceiling. Must be the glue.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

I agree with Sukie: we still live in patriarchal societies.

To those who argue that sexism no longer exists, please consider the fact that women in the U.S. are paid on average 80% of what men are paid. Perhaps this figure is incorrect or misleading, but at face value it seems sexism is still alive and well.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I agree with Sukie: we still live in...

Sexism still exists everywhere. It's forbidden by law but socially you still notice it in subtle ways, sadly.
My dad and my brother are the biggest sexists ever. My father still believes that women and men should sit on apart sides of the table, that women and men should not talk with each other when they are not husband and wife / boyfriend and girlfriend.
Friendship between a man and a woman doesn't exist according to my dad.
My brother is even more horrible. He thinks women are too dumb to understand complicated things, that women are always at fault in everything, that women have to make him food and give him children and that women serve for nothing more. I hate people like my father and my brother.

In response to “Sexism still exists everywhere. It's...

What your father and brother believe is backward.. and wrong. I hope you don't believe them when they say these things. One option you have is to prove them wrong.

My parents didn't encourage me to go to college because they didn't think I was intelligent and/or studious enough. After traipsing around for six months I decided to go to college and used my feelings of resentment to energize me. We call it "playing with a chip on your shoulder".

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Because there are some people who still believe a woman's place is in the home, not in the corporate world.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Because there are some people who still...

Yeah, my dad an brother are like that :(

I think there are a lot of complicated reasons

Willcooper Willcooper

Mostly that happens where the men are in charge - they feel "girls" can only be little clerks or secretaries. I have been in business all my life and sometimes I agree with their reasons. Reasons women do not get promotions 1. calling in sick every month for female issues unacceptable . They become mothers and don't have the energy or drive to work as hard as men. calling in sick because your kid is sick unacceptable a real business minded person would have a sitter lined up for emergency kid problems. Other reasons are Men like to deal with what they know works in business -- other men, if a girl gets promoted many men resent that and do what they can to make it difficult for her to get things done. Best places for women to get ahead is in a company that already has women in high places. Even that won't help sometimes as women haven't learned to help each other or team up like the guy have.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Because it's unnatural for women to provide for themselves

gypsyking gypsyking