<b>Tell me what it means to be: American, Canadian, British, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Finnish, whatever you are...</b>

TiffaneeDandyDonSofiaWill_JanitorMashaSukiesnowThinkerbellSunny_the_skepticZonkeyBalls
Tell me what it means to be: American, Canadian, British, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Finnish, whatever you are...

I am for myself, first. My country, Canada, second... After that I root for America...then Friesland...the country of my ancestors...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

Means nothing except you are just another human-being living on the third stone from the sun. I have lived in 3 different countries and don't feel connected to any of them.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Means nothing except you are just another...

Oh hon... I know what you mean...it's like a rootless feeling that lacks any caring, concern or love. I don't know what it takes or how to apply that.

I see other people being different than me...and yet I don't know what to do to get where they are...or if I can even be bothered in doing so...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Firesland?

Friesland... Ick ben en echtje Friese.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Friesland... Ick ben en echtje Friese.

I have my good net now that Im home so I looked it up, northern part of Netherlands

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I have my good net now that Im home so I...

You learned something today! I usually say I'm Dutch...but that's like saying you are British when really you are Welsh.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “You learned something today! I usually say...

I'm German by ancestry, more specifically Bavarian, more specifically middle Franconian, and tribally Celtic.

I like Dutch. It's a lot like German, except they spell it kinda funny. (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “I'm German by ancestry, more specifically...

I am NOT Dutch... I am Friese.

Is what you know a different language than German? Friese is a completely different language from Dutch.

Germanic languages are entertwined. When you can speak one...it's easier to learn others...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “I am NOT Dutch... I am Friese. Is what you...

Yes, I understood that, but when you wrote "Friesland... Ick ben en echtje Friese.", I thought it was Dutch. (biggrin)

And the Franconian dialect is still German, even though it has words, pronunciations and sayings that may not be readily intelligible to other Germans. (hehe)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Yes, I understood that, but when you wrote...

Yes...my spelling might be somewhat Dutch in this case, it's so common...

Do you know...we had to go ALL the way to Friesland just to get a dictionary...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

The welsh are British ...you Wally

JD JD

In response to “The welsh are British ...you Wally

Ha. Don't they speak a different language? I was there and couldn't understand anyone.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Ha. Don't they speak a different language? I...

They have their own language, but not sure if they use it much, maybe to each other but they still speak English the most

JD JD

An elderly gentleman once started speaking to me in what I think was Scots-Gaelic in the town of St. Andrews. I said in English that I couldn't understand him. He didn't say anything in English, but just gave up and walked on.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

But you think of yourself as English rather than British (as you have said), JD.

So does the distinction go back to the ancient Anglo-Saxons and the Britons?

But what about Brittannia representing the whole UK?

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “But you think of yourself as English rather...

I only class myself as English , never say I'm British ...if I was a Scot, I would say I'm Scottish and Welsh if I was from Wales ...

JD JD

In response to “I only class myself as English , never say...

But, but... up above, you said the Welsh are British.

http://www.amirite.com/813061-t...innish/2633668

So the difference is what you call yourself, vs what others call you?

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “But, but... up above, you said the Welsh are...

It's what we call ourselves is what is important...

JD JD

English is a language.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “English is a //language.//

We speak that as well...

JD JD

I just snuck into the middle of this conversation because you are talking about Dutch.

I read the novel "Hans Brinker" when I was a kid. Was that written about Friesland? Also, I liked the movie "A Bridge Too Far" about battles near Arnhem. Is that in Friesland?

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “I just snuck into the middle of this...

It does sound like Hans Brinker took place in Friesland.

Mom used to speak fondly about skating in the canals which took the place of fences...

Arnhem is in the Netherlands. Yes...it does say that also in Wikepida... Good movie.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

I am Welsh first-British second.I am patriotic where sport is concerned but otherwise I don't think being either means anything.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

In response to “I am Welsh first-British second.I am...

So why is JD trying to tell me that the Welsh are British?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “So why is JD trying to tell me that the Welsh...

They are, but like us, they count belonging to their own country as first...

JD JD

In response to “They are, but like us, they count belonging...

Yes...but they are landlocked...their country IS Britain...what is it that makes them count themselves as British...second?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Yes...but they are landlocked...their country...

They are not landlocked...they have beaches around two sides....we are all patriotic to our own separate countries and I count myself as English first and British second...same for the welsh and scots

JD JD

In response to “They are not landlocked...they have beaches...

Pardon...but I see no difference between English and British.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Pardon...but I see no difference between...

you could never know..you have to live it to understand....

JD JD

In response to “you could never know..you have to live it to...

So be clear about it.

What makes you English.

What makes you a moron British.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “So be clear about it. What makes you...

Being British includes Wales Scotland Northern Ireland ...and UK is just England Scotland and Wales

JD JD

In response to “Being British includes Wales Scotland...

I still don't get it... To me being British and English is the same thing. If you can think of another example i''d appreciate it.:)

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “I still don't get it... To me being British...

We have our own football teams , England Scotland,Wales,Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland and that separates us and if anyone asks me where I come from, I say England ....best I can do..

JD JD

In response to “We have our own football teams , England...

I think I get it... Because your from England you are English. I am from Canada which makes me Canadian. Then England is also part of Great Britain. So that makes you also British. Canada stands alone...so I am simply Canadian.

But...the thing is...you never hear someone who is Irish also saying they are British. You NEVER EVER hear them saying that.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “I think I get it... Because your from England...

That's the point the Irish say they Irish and scots say they are Scottish and the welsh are welsh...

JD JD

In response to “That's the point the Irish say they Irish and...

But they hate the UK so much they won't say they are also BRITISH....?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

No clue. Human? There's stereotypes about Portuguese - I fit some, I don't fit others, and I'm pretty sure that happens with everyone around the world.

Sofia Sofia

To me, it is simply being me. I (in personal experience) have nothing else to compare it to. I like to think it means certain things...

Bozette Bozette

In response to “To me, it is simply being //me//. I (in...

Yes. Well, if you were born in some S Arabian country...would you be "simply you?"

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Yes. Well, if you were born in some S Arabian...

Yes, Sukie. Had I been born anywhere else, I'm sure many things about my life being different, I would have lived a far different life, but still just been whatever person that accident of birth and my life experiences had combined with my inherent nature to become.

Bozette Bozette

Bulgarian? Aw thanks for mentioning Sukie, must be about me since i havent seen any other Bulgarian active here.

As for the question, i dont know how to answer. We're just a small green country famed for milk fermenting bacteria, bad quality roads, pink roses and corrupt politicians robbing us blind.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Bulgarian? Aw thanks for mentioning Sukie...

The last comment seems to be world wide. So that's something we all have in common. 😄

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “The last comment seems to be world wide. So...

Our country is unique in that regard.
Every political party-buying and selling votes is a crime #each one ends up sending people to buy out the votes of poor uneducated gypsies# They say the country lacks money and then somehow the top ones have very fancy cars and houses.
Hypocrisy and deception, if you dont find a way to make money youre done for. Pensions for elders are laughable, they barely survive unless you have a place to give for rent or you have good children

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Our country is unique in that regard. Every...

When I lived in Portugal and Spain , nearly every mayor was in prison for fraud, it's so rife in Europe ....

JD JD

It's a longitude and latitude. If it's relatively secure and you can make a living for your family you stay and hopefully appreciate it. If not you try to find a more suitable place to live. I feel lucky to have been born and raised here in the USA, but it's not like I chose it from birth. I could have been born in Russia and if that's all I knew I might have been happy there too.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “It's a longitude and latitude. If it's...

Im just glad im not born in a developing or war stricken country

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Im just glad im not born in a developing or...

I agree. That's the luck of the draw.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I think it would be horrendous for us, but those who live there, know no difference...

JD JD

If you don't know what it means to me....there's no need to explain it..

Either you get it, or you don't...wether you live here or not..

DandyDon DandyDon

So, who the hell is this Finnish person you mentioned? Vic?

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “Vic could NEVER qualify for being Finnish!...

I like my sauna at 60 degrees, some of my friends put it up to 100 and that is the point, when you get out and drop on the snow, only to be at 100 C again. I mean, we take sauna and "snow showers" in terms.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “I like my sauna at 60 degrees, some of my...

Some Finns run out of the hot sauna and dive into an ice-cold lake.

I once saw in a film of that, and a measurement of the systolic blood pressure going up to 300 mm Hg. (wt)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Some Finns run out of the hot sauna and dive...

It's a bit like killing yourself, but making your body work better at the same time.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “It's a bit like killing yourself, but making...

Only if you survive the killing.

Sometimes it can be irreversible. (swt)

And some Finnish girls are just as crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3lxbu5Guw0

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

It's just a preinstalled feature. I didn't choose to be a Cossack, Russian, or even human; yet, I can choose to accept and love myself for who I am in spite of that. I could've been conceived in a matrix other than a womb and born, say, a defenceless acorn that later grew a mighty oak! Perhaps I was in a past life, maybe not. I'll find out when that time comes. Lmao.(hehe)

Masha Masha

I love my country, England ..don't like the people who run it, they don't care about the people. I think our country is fairly perfect..no hurricanes, no earthquakes , not too cold and not too hot..we can live cheaply but eating out is dearer than other countries and our houses are smaller in general..healthcare is very cheap and we are well respected all over the world...but I love other countries for different reasons..

JD JD

Being American is foremost being free to do and say anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt somebody else. And the specific liberties and freedoms are specifically written out very clearly in the United States Constitution Bill of Rights. That freedom was why my grandfather came here from Russia just before World War I started over there and started his family here.

goblue1968 goblue1968

Further to points above-Wales has coastline on three sides and what really annoys those of us who are not English is people referring to England when they mean Britain.But you have live here really to get all this.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

Nothing. Your country shouldn't have your allegiance your moral code should.

Willcooper Willcooper