I recently asked a question about blocking, and I don't mean to harp on it, but people told me that I could block at MY discretion, for any reason I wanted, without having to answer to ANYONE. I just read a post from an authority figure asking why someone blocked someone. Now I'm confused.

CherylAnnPhillipsVicZincCarlaZonkeyBallsLil_PrincessSunny_the_skeptic

JamesTiffaneeTomboyJanet

VicZincLil_PrincessDarkest_SerenityTiffaneeStarzAboveSofiaWill_JanitorprimeiroCarlaZonkeyBalls

Explained by CherylAnnPhillips...

Sorry for making another post about blocking, as i have no intention of doing it, but I can't ask what I'm asking on the post because it has been closed to comments. Crazy. I know I'm new and don't know what's going on, so tell me...what's going on?

There is nothing wrong with blocking, or in wondering why you were blocked.

VicZinc VicZinc

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “There is nothing wrong with blocking, or in...

But this is a person in authority, a person who answered my post and told me I could block anyone without having to explain why.
Thanks for your answer, but I'm still confused.

CherylAnnPhillips CherylAnnPhillips OP

In response to “But this is a person in authority, a person...

sorry for the confusion. It is OK for someone to wonder why. It is also OK for someone to choose not to give an explanation. You don't owe anyone an explanation, but they have a right to ask for one - you can just ignore their request.

VicZinc VicZinc

Anyone can block anyone...fact..but blocking can be pointless at times and should only be used when you are being stalked or someone is continually offensive to you...the more you block, the less to have a conversation with...use it wisely

JD JD

I thought about it. It doesn't matter. I'm not going to block anyone, so it does not concern me.

CherylAnnPhillips CherylAnnPhillips OP

In response to “I thought about it. It doesn't matter. I'm...

you can block anyone except me ; )

James James

In response to “you can block anyone except me ; )

Why not...

JD JD

Me too, i just ignore them, i havent blocked anyone yet and i doubt i will anytime soon

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

The block feature is a good thing here on Amirite. We can block whomever we want, for whatever reason, and we don't have to answer to anyone as to why we blocked. I don't know who the person in authority was that said that, but I doubt it was one of our mods. Maybe just someone who thinks they are the boss around here.

Some people on this site get all bent out of shape when they are blocked, they whine, play the victim, when they know darn well it was their actions, and meanness that got them blocked.

So if you choose to block someone, block them, you don't have to answer to anyone.

Hope this answers your question.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Sure but blocking means you dislike the person and just cant stand them, its a feature to separate you, its not meant as a friendly gesture, of course people will ask why. And people have the right of opinion, it is petty to block someone just because they disagre, as long as its not harrassement

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Sure but blocking means you dislike the...

A block is not always against someone you can't stand. Sometimes, it's to block what you consider a boatload of really stupid questions and you don't want to see them.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “A block is not always against someone you...

Or to silence someone who would not agree with you and keep the deluded illusion of " safe space " alive a day longer.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Or to silence someone who would not agree...

Yes, there are those who block because they disagree and want to remain in their safe space. Personally, I will block because someone begins to make personal attacks (usually because they don't agree with me) or a member who consistently posts really asinine polls.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Yes, there are those who block because they...

Yeah I know the type, they put you in a shitstorm and you're a nazi and babykiller and whatnot, despite even trying to sympathize with their point of view but no, no debate, you disagreed so you killed baby Jesus.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Yeah I know the type, they put you in a...

Just so. :) Or, in my case, I'm a socialist, communist, liberal who want to give away the US to illegal immigrants. And I killed Jesus. :)

Linnster Linnster

I have people blocked and have been warned to NOT unblock them so I must have done something right.

People really make too much of a big deal out of blocking.

Tiffanee

I'm pretty sure that post you're talking about is someone asking their friend why they blocked them. It's not really a person of power demanding an explanation, but a person confused by the actions of their friend.

You can block anyone expect James (as he said above), and you don't really own explanation for it (for what the rules say). People can comment, make assumptions and such, but in the end it's your business.

Also, on the topic of blocking, if you block a mod, the block works only for you - they can still see your stuff. It makes sense, since they have to see what's happening to be able to do their jobs.

Sofia Sofia

In response to “I'm pretty sure that post you're talking...

I have one mod blocked but he was blocked before he became a mod so I see no point in changing that now. He has made it clear that he hates me so that is good enough for me.

Tiffanee

In response to “I have one mod blocked but he was blocked...

Same with me, Tiff....blocked before he became a mod..... he hates all liberals.... not good for a mod, in my opinion.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Same with me, Tiff....blocked before he...

Well he hates 50% of the site.

Tiffanee

Ive been block because people don't like hearing the truth and would rather argue and what fun is that, doesn't hurt my feelings any if they block. I always thought people were adults on here not snowflakes

symplycurious symplycurious

If a block occurs among friends it is natural for friends to wonder what has occurred and I think that is what is going on with this particular situation.

Me I am not afraid to hit the block button. While I am a very nice person, I can honestly pretend someone never existed. If I get blocked by a friend it just shows me that they really weren't a friend at all.

My theory on this is : If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't need to be my friend during the best.

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

How do you know if someone has blocked you?

Hey, hold on, I don't care :)

AliceD AliceD

All I know, is that people are able to block other members for whatever reason they want to, and that they can be and often are not quite truthful about who and why they do. (eyes)

Piper2 Piper2

It's true, if you block you don't have to answer to anyone, but the person being blocked is allowed to ask why and you are entitled not to answer.

OzSurfer OzSurfer